• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShockingAlberto said:
I am assuming that the people upset about the scores are mostly not people who are using it to determine the actual quality of the game. Even if the game weren't incredibly likely to be amazing, said people would have already decided it's amazing, anyway.

Basically, those who are emotionally invested were already emotionally invested.

I think the big issue is people are treating this like a sport and Uncharted 3 is their big play. If it's not getting the points to be above the other team's plays, then they lose...face, I guess?

It's no less irrational, but it's probably the reason.
right. i said something similar earlier. they're treating review scores like sports scores, and Uncharted 3 is their team. we've got some people in here representing other 'teams' too, who seem to be taking pleasure from all this.

who will win the GOTY cup?

who cares.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DaBuddaDa said:
I think this is true of math and science as objects can be measured and facts can be proven. Those properties do not exist in entertainment/art. The objective measurements you could take on a video game are "it is pressed on a disc of X diameter made of y material" and when you put it into the machine it runs successfully or doesn't run successfully. A critique like "this game controls better than that game" or "this game looks better than that game" are in no way objective, they're subjective qualities with a high rate of consensus.

A game that responds faster or more accurately to inputs has better controls. A game with bugs is worse than that same game with the bugs patched out. These are objective comparisons and just because they're messy and complicated when they are between two wholly different games doesn't mean they are in no way objective.

I can agree that it's fruitless, in practice, to argue that Uncharted looks better than Gears or controls better than Batman or whatever (just examples, not actual claims), even if I think such arguments can be based on a kernel of objective truth.

M.D said:
I could see how that's could be annoying, but in no way that would make a game worse for me.

For you. That's why you read the review to determine if the reviewers criteria match yours. Reviews are opinion pieces. IMO the actual score is a lot less important than the words themselves.

Loxley

J-Rzez said:
As far as game-specific, you forgot one totally. WoW. That game has the worst stockholm syndrome suffering hardcore fans ever. Zelda, nor Mario fans come close to them. And from general products standpoint, blizzard fans give apple fans a real run for their money.

Damn, still no in-depth talks about the 3D...

And the award for dumbest thread-derailing comment goes to...

DaBuddaDa

plagiarize said:
right. i said something similar earlier. they're treating review scores like sports scores, and Uncharted 3 is their team. we've got some people in here representing other 'teams' too, who seem to be taking pleasure from all this.

who cares.
It's fun to root for something you're emotionally invested in, be it a video game or a sports team. It frequently goes overboard though, but don't neglect or try to snuff it out. I think GOTY voting is fascinating to watch and participate in.

plagiarize said:

who cares.
I honestly find it all kind of boring these days. 20 years of obsessing over review scores and GOTYs and at the end of the day, it doesn't change the quality of the game at all.

CozMick

Banned
Holy shit @ Gametrailers giving it a 9.5

Didn't think that would ever happen after the U2 "unoriginal" bullshit.

Game Of The Year!

The Lamp

zoukka said:
Not really. Some people call Inception a perfect movie. I call it a piece of shit movie and would rate it about 3/10 on Eurogamer scale. This is me having an opinion and it's not mindlessly called out if we talk about movies. But with games, anything that isn't close to the general consensus is a lie. It's a shitty situation, that could be explained by the immaturity of the industry among other things.

I considered Uncharted 2 the greatest video game experience of my life thus far, so if Uncharted 3 is better than that, I have no qualms.

Every niggling flaw about the Uncharted series is either irrelevant to the kind of game it's trying to be or irrelevant to my focus in video games so, while every game has its flaws, here they don't seem to matter to me.

Criticizing Uncharted for being "linear" or having a moment where the guy saves the girl is like picking on Mario for being a platformer and not an MMO. It's the whole point. Naughty Dog has stated time and time again that they need and want the game to be linear for the story and level design to be as seamless and crisp as possible.

Synless

seady said:
Am I the only one that didn't find Uncharted 2 to be that amazing as everyone said it was? I thought it was just a plain B-movie action adventure game.
Your not alone, but certainly in the minority. Uncharted 2 for me, was one of the best games I have ever played.

DaBuddaDa

hey_it's_that_dog said:
A game that responds faster or more accurately to inputs has better controls. A game with bugs is worse than that same game with the bugs patched out.
I see what you're saying but I can't really think of a better example. Killzone 2 fans would argue the slower response time to the controls added weight to the aiming and added to their enjoyment of the game. I find bug ridden games like Bethesda's RPGs more fun because of the ridiculous and sometimes hilarious bugs and glitches that occur and can be exploited.

-GOUKI-

n4g is raging about the eurogamer and g4 review lmao
Fuck Eurogamer, I hate them. They are just garbage, I'm not saying they hate PS3, but this reviewer has to hate PS3 for sure. 8 is a great score, don't get me wrong, but U3 deserves more (I am playing it as we speak).

zoukka

The Lamp said:
Criticizing Uncharted for being "linear" or having a moment where the guy saves the girl is like picking on Mario for being a platformer and not an MMO. It's the whole point. Naughty Dog has stated time and time again that they need and want the game to be linear for the story and level design to be as seamless and crisp as possible.

You are wrong. For one, linearity hasn't been the flaw. There are myriads of things this game does inside its linear progression, that can be liked, disliked or whatever. Same goes with its plot and narrative. Same goes for Mario's platforming and progression.

It's one thing to observe written reviews and one thing to make a blanket statement that all criticism is nitpicking and people wanting Uncharted to become a JRPG.

tolkir

Patapwn said:
Every game is linear, the only variable is how wide are the hallways.

31.jpg

Oozinator

Banned
So basically Eurogamer is gave the game a 80 out of 100 score...

Eurogamer is angry because this master game competes with one of the few AAA made by domestic failing UK game industry (Batman AC).

The Lamp

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Good thing NOBODY FUCKING DID THAT

I obviously haven't sat down and read all the reviews yet, but I was basing my reply off of this:
VIVIblkmgIc said:
Well they said it doesnt reflect what games "can be," which I think is an implied indictment. They also kind of were criticizing it for being "happy" at one point in the review. Like, talking about how you get the girl and save the day.

And this post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32100704&postcount=3079

My point is that Uncharted is intrinsically linear like Mario is intrinsically about jumping on stuff and colorful platforming. If the game pulls it off well, criticizing a game's nature at that point is just nitpicking the game for what it is, and it's not going to change. Uncharted will never have multiple endings and multiple paths for level design.

Let's stop beating around the bush and just come out and say it. In my fact-inion people who dislike the Uncharted series have poor taste. It's a mark against their character. BAM!

Pranay

Oozinator said:

Eurogamer is angry because this master game competes with one of the few AAA made by domestic failing UK game industry (Batman AC).

Eurogamer [Czeck] - 10
Eurogamer [Italy] - 10
Eurogamer [France] - 9/10
Eurogamer [?] - 9/10
Eurogamer [uk] - 8/10

Oozinator said:

how do you know it's not 89 out of 100 though?

jonno394

Oozinator said:

Or maybe the game is only very good as opposed to perfect?

Haven't read any reviews, any word on the shooting/platforming/puzzle ratio?

I'm glad to hear they got rid of Nate's notebook. One of my favorite sections in UC2 was the giant spear puzzle. A mixture of platforming, exploration, and puzzle solving.

Red

The Lamp said:
I'm not trying to derail the thread or say you're wrong or anything like that (it seems I have to put disclaimers down or I'll be dogpiled on), but I disagree with that. Complaining about linearity is different from complaining about genre. If someone complained that UC was an action game, then that's the same as complaining that Mario is a platformer.

Linearity is okay much of the time. That's not really what the problem is. And like I said, that goes beyond genre. A platformer can be linear. Doesn't mean it's bad. Some of the best are linear! The difference is they don't take away player input. They remain interactive.

Interactivity is what's being criticized. I think many people here are misunderstanding that. It's fine to be linear. But it's not fine when you take away control and simply watch what's happening instead of playing it. This has been discussed to death, and there are good points on both sides. The Uncharted series does do a damn good job of creating playable segments where other games would simply use cutscenes. But! it also takes away part of your control, or limits your actions until certain requirements have been met (say, talk to this person before you can interact with this rock).

When you're watching more than playing, you're moving away from a game and more toward a movie. That's the problem some of us have. I don't like having my input "corrected." I mean, as an easy example, Uncharted's platforming has been continually criticized from the very beginning of the series for being automated. That's the type of thing I and the others on this side of the fence are trying to explain. The games are good, they're presented well, but they're very, very tightly controlled.

Oozinator said:

It's also 80,000,000 out of 100,000,000! That's 20 million points off!

Or, it could be .8/1. Which doesn't really seem so bad.

Interfectum

Oozinator said:

laughing+gorilla.jpg

-GOUKI- said:
n4g is raging about the eurogamer and g4 review lmao

That's some seriously cringe-worthy nerd rage. Diverse opinions on games are still uncommon and unaccepted among gaming outlets it seems.

Who is that dude to dictate an opinion other than his own on a medium that's perceived entirely subjective?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DaBuddaDa said:
I see what you're saying but I can't really think of a better example. Killzone 2 fans would argue the slower response time to the controls added weight to the aiming and added to their enjoyment of the game. I find bug ridden games like Bethesda's RPGs more fun because of the ridiculous and sometimes hilarious bugs and glitches that occur and can be exploited.

Both good examples, though I'd argue the Killzone 2 stuff is completely post-hoc rationalization. If it had released initially with the more responsive post-patch controls, no one would be saying it would feel better with more lag.

Bugs can be fun, certainly. But sometimes they break your game or ruin your progress or waste your time. If my Dark Souls save was corrupted by a bug, I'd murder everyone.

So yeah, I see how consensus plays a role in these things.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
CozMick said:
Holy shit @ Gametrailers giving it a 9.5

Didn't think that would ever happen after the U2 "unoriginal" bullshit.

Game Of The Year!
I think the biggest crazytime here is the 10 from IGN. As much as people say that Edge gives out 10s rarely. I think IGN probably gives that score even less often. Yeah, they gave it to GTA4 blah blah, so what, every damn place did, so you can't use that to discredit everyone (and yes, Edge gave it 10 as well).

The other surprise for me is 4/5 from G4, that is if Sessler reviewed it. He absolutely loved UC2 and though it was one of the best games of all time.

Vire

Oozinator said:

This is the dumbest post in this entire thread.

Congratulations.

rdrr gnr

I'm not one to read poorly written reviews from idiots, but what was G4's justification for a 4/5? Quick spoiler-free synopsis anyone?

zoukka said:
It's basically the same as 8000 out of 10 000, which means they found 2000 flaws in it.

That's my problem with the review!!!! They only address 1998 of the problems! Why did they deduct additional 2 points?!!!

Oozinator said:

By this logic, isn't every U.S. review of Uncharted 3 immediately suspect?

Presco

nib95 said:
I do feel in this instance U3 is being held to much higher standards. A lot of people seem to feel the SP is unimportant with BF3. The same cannot be said for U3 and it's multiplayer.

Please. The very same can be said for the mutliplayer in U3. 75% and maybe more of the people who play the game won't play the multi for more than a few games, if at all.

The Lamp

Crunched said:
I'm not trying to derail the thread or say you're wrong or anything like that (it seems I have to put disclaimers down or I'll be dogpiled on), but I disagree with that. Complaining about linearity is different from complaining about genre. If someone complained that UC was an action game, then that's the same as complaining that Mario is a platformer.

Linearity is okay much of the time. That's not really what the problem is. And like I said, that goes beyond genre. A platformer can be linear. Doesn't mean it's bad. Some of the best are linear! The difference is they don't take away player input. They remain interactive.

Interactivity is what's being criticized. I think many people here are misunderstanding that. It's fine to be linear. But it's not fine when you take away control and simply watch what's happening instead of playing it. This has been discussed to death, and there are good points on both sides. The Uncharted series does do a damn good job of creating playable segments where other games would simply use cutscenes. But! it also takes away part of your control, or limits your actions until certain requirements have been met (say, talk to this person before you can interact with this rock).

When you're watching more than playing, you're moving away from a game and more toward a movie. That's the problem some of us have. I don't like having my input "corrected." I mean, as an easy example, Uncharted's platforming has been continually criticized from the very beginning of the series for being automated. That's the type of thing I and the others on this side of the fence are trying to explain. The games are good, they're presented well, but they're very, very tightly controlled.

But the series has never allowed you to omnipotently "interact" with things, it's not like Just Cause. It's always been about setpieces and unbreakable pace and flow through them with a gripping story and walled off sections of levels that give you an illusion that it's a seamless world. If the platforming were trial-and-error based with focus on stopping and thinking, it would harm the pace of the game. They obviously want your "sit down for a moment and think" portions to just be puzzles, not platforming. The platforming is a means to the puzzles and the action. That has been the case since Uncharted 1. What I don't understand is when some people seem to nitpick about it now, as if they didn't have a problem with it since Uncharted 2. Or if they have been nitpicking since U1, why they haven't given up, because Uncharted is never going to put the player in full control of its surroundings, it messes with calculated precision of an experience that Naughty Dog is trying to present to you.

It's not like the lack of interactivity in Uncharted 1 or 2 ever took away from how fun the game was. If you had fun with the games, your interest was never likely focused on backtracking or detouring away from all the action, so I found it irrelevant to the experience, as I mentioned.

DaBuddaDa

MuseManMike said:
I'm not one to read poorly written reviews from idiots, but what was G4's justification for a 4/5? Quick spoiler-free synopsis anyone?
Didn't have the wow factor like going from U1->U2, felt more like U2.5, multiplayer "tacked on" which I don't quite understand.

MuseManMike said:

Uncharted 2.5 and it's too soon after U2 (second point makes less sense, you might need to read review for that :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom