• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End update from Yoshida (copies stolen while in transit)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yes because I'm sure they just delayed it for shits n giggles, because that's a thing that happens now???

They could have delayed to give Ratchet and Clank a bit of breathing space since it just came out in Europe/UK on the 22nd April, and there's nothing wrong with that if it were the case. Not that I'm saying they were lying that they needed to make more copies of U4.

zsynqx

UPDATE: All Uncharted 4 stock sold at CEX and on eBay was the result of a violent assault and theft, PlayStation has said.

"We can confirm that unfortunately some contents from a lorry transporting a variety of video game and DVD titles, including a quantity of the much anticipated Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, was stolen in the UK, during a violent assault," a spokesperson told MCV.

"We are doing everything in our power to assist the police in their ongoing criminal investigation.

"To be clear, we have yet to ship any stock of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End to retail and so any suggestion that UK retailers have broken the official street date is not correct.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/stolen-games-behind-early-uk-arrival-of-uncharted-4/0166040

New update. Not good :(

Also to back this up I guess

Tweet from TGC (UK retailer who are usually on top of stock deliveries etc.) : "We don't have stock and don't know of any other UK retailer despatching Uncharted yet (apart from 1 person from CEX?)!?"

I wonder if this will create stock issues in the UK. I mean, you could fit hundreds of thousands of BD cases onto a large lorry I'd that's all it was carrying.

Anyway, frigging disgusting and I'm ashamed it happened in this country.

If they hadn't needlessly delayed the game another 2 weeks this wouldn't have been an issue. Yes, I consider the whole "Needed more time to make copies" claim they made to be BS.

This makes no sense, it could have happened just two weeks earlier. Gimme a break.

WaterAstro

Ah I get it.

They'll sell the early copies for millions to Saudi Princes, therefore ending their career as theives.

If they hadn't needlessly delayed the game another 2 weeks this wouldn't have been an issue. Yes, I consider the whole "Needed more time to make copies" claim they made to be BS.

This was not an opportunistic crime. This was planned, and a different release date probably wouldn't have changed anything.

Ricky_R

Shu right now.

post-33707-nothing-to-see-here-gif-please-BeZM.gif

KyleCross

So if the didn't delay the game it would have stopped people from stealing it?

Based on people in this forum places don't even have the game. I totally believe the reason was to manufacture more copies

How does this make sense?

This makes no sense, it could have happened just two weeks earlier. Gimme a break.

What's hard to understand? The game went gold right on schedule for the April 26th release. Retailers still got the game on time with that release date, so the extra two weeks is just resulting in copies sitting in trucks and in stores waiting to be sold. If the 26th was still the release date we would not be getting reports of early copies and stolen copies around April 12th, for example. That'd still happen, sure. But not two whole weeks early. Ultimately all Sony did by delaying the game two weeks is making those of us who care about story scared of the internet for the next couple of weeks.

The theft and 'violent assault' was Sony's fault (alternatively; they deserved it) because they delayed the game? You're a fucking loon.

PaulloDEC

What's hard to understand? The game went gold right on schedule for the April 26th release. Retailers still got the game on time with that release date, so the extra two weeks is just resulting in copies sitting in trucks and in stores waiting to be sold. If the 26th was still the release date we would not be getting reports of early copies and stolen copies around April 12th, for example. That'd still happen, sure. But not two whole weeks early. Ultimately all Sony did by delaying the game two weeks is making those of us who care about story scared of the internet for the next couple of weeks.

Why would Sony do that? How would it benefit them?

foxbeldin

Retailers don't have the game. They'll have it around May 6th from what they told me.

At least here in France.

jiggles

Banned
The one thing that annoys me about this messaging is how much emphasis is being put on the spoiler warnings.

There wasn't much in previous Uncharted stories that could actually be spoiled. The story format was very "adventure of the week". Contained, complete, and with the status quo restored by the end.

Being so strongly warned to avoid having it spoiled is like having your partner beg you to not go into a room on your birthday. I was just going about my business, but now all I can think about is what's in there.

zsynqx

The one thing that annoys me about this messaging is how much emphasis is being put on the spoiler warnings.

There wasn't much in previous Uncharted stories that could actually be spoiled. The story format was very "adventure of the week". Contained, complete, and with the status quo restored by the end.

Being so strongly warned to avoid having it spoiled is like having your partner beg you to not go into a room on your birthday. I was just going about my business, but now all I can think about is what's in there.

This is Naughty Dog after TLOU, which was lauded by many for it's storytelling. They appear to be bringing many of those techniques over to Uncharted so it likely will be more than just "adventure of the week" type stuff, as you put it. On top of that, this is the last one.in the series.

It's the last Uncharted game, dude. At least one major character is gonna be killed off.

Kalamoj

More headlines for Uncharted, good job.
I don't think there is any conspiracy, but it's good marketing.

The game is not sitting on the shelves for an extra two weeks. That's not how delays work. Any publisher could have had this happen with their big game, MS with GoW4, if it was stolen in transit I could see MS posting something similar to what Shu wrote. This doesn't benefit Sony in anyway and they aren't fear mongering, just letting folks know that if they care to just be careful.

Goddammit, stupid Sony, if only they hadn't delayed their game by two weeks! They should've known that getting one of their trucks hijacked and the goods being sold on eBay was a near certainty! I HATE YOU SONY

Mr-Joker

Banned
Goddammit, stupid Sony, if only they hadn't delayed their game by two weeks! They should've known that getting one of their trucks hijacked and the goods being sold on eBay was a near certainty! I HATE YOU SONY

You're being silly now as how was Sony suppose to know that copies would get stolen from a truck.

Audioboxer

Jeez, what a shitty story.

Glad I didn't try to jump on any early copy, although until learning this news you couldn't really blame the buyer. The seller, maybe, depending on how they acquired their copies.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
To anyone that bought the game early, I don't hold it against you (I'd have done the same), but to those who buy it after this news ...

Audioboxer

OléGunner;202018783 said:
Can anybody tell me whether Sony can block early streams/ YT uploads or whatever before release?

Yes.

But I would be interested to know if this is down to any legality, or if it's just big company 1 wanting to have a good standing with big company 2, so complying with each other.

Mr-Joker

Banned
OléGunner;202018783 said:
Can anybody tell me whether Sony can block early streams/ YT uploads or whatever before release?

They could try but at this point the genie is out of the bottle.

Alucrid

Banned

this is pretty pathetic. someone was the victim of a violent assault and this is all you worry about.

jiggles

Banned
It's the last Uncharted game, dude. At least one major character is gonna be killed off.

I agree that's what this messaging is telegraphing, but you can end a story without doing that. The first 3 games could have each been the last entry in the series without feeling unfinished.

If the purpose of killing off a major character is to put the stamp of finality on it, for closure, then there's only one that can do that, given his history of failing to "give up the life".

So yeah, I already have it in my head that Drake dies, but even that's not enough. It seems too obvious. Does something so easily guessed warrant such aggressive spoiler warnings? Does he die early on and you play as someone else?

What is it? What could it be that they're trying to hide?

And so on

Top Bottom