• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End |OT| You're gonna miss this ass

The game has really dragged ever since arriving on this pirate island. So far I'd have to say its my least favorite Uncharted game. It just feels so different from all the other ones, and not in a good way.

The game has really dragged ever since arriving on this pirate island. So far I'd have to say its my least favorite Uncharted game. It just feels so different from all the other ones, and not in a good way.
It's iteresting cause I must be losing it. I am definitely not getting the vibe of the general consensus. Really hoping it picks up

BearPawB

Banned
Just finished it.
Good fun.
I do i think I enjoyed the newest tomb raider overall a bit more.

Thankfully the combat wasn't nearly as frustrating as the combat in 3. And the story was much more grounded. Still hit a lot of the same beats.

I'm actually looking forward to the PS4 version now, if they don't half-ass it. Am hoping it fixes the AA and input lag issues.

Regardless of whether people think Tomb Raider plays better than Uncharted, we'll see some solid contrast between the two, which is good.

Input lag killed the combat in ROTR for me. It's a shame too, as you have lots of options - more than any Uncharted game.

It was a step up from the 2013 reboot in ever single department but I preferred the latter for some reason.

It's iteresting cause I must be losing it. I am definitely not getting the vibe of the general consensus. Really hoping it picks up

It almost feels like a soft reboot that removes everything I loved about Uncharted 1-3. The grounded, more realistic tone is my number one gripe with the game so far. Not sure why Naughty Dog decided to drastically change this series four games in, but it's their prerogative, I suppose.

Ascenion

But Uncharted was never about many of the things Tomb Raider focuses on, and Tomb Raider has a shit story so I can't see how it's a better Uncharted game than Uncharted.

I prefer Uncharted's open spaces and platforming to Tomb Raider's because even if there isn't as much useless shit to collect around the world, the stuff you do find is so much more compelling because every little character moment or note or journal entry you find is tied to a cohesive narrative theme and is really enjoyable. And I find that just the simple act of moving around, jumping, sliding, using the rope, just feels way more satisfying than Lara's floaty movements. It doesn't hurt that Uncharted's locations are 100x more visually appealing too.

I do like the physics based puzzles in the optional tombs in Tomb Raider though. It's nice that they are sometimes kind of challenging to figure out, but they are tucked away so that they both feel rewarding to find and don't break up the pace of the adventure unless you want them to (not that Tomb Raider has particularly good pacing). Uncharted 4 has little mini versions of these sorts of things scattered about though (like there's a well you can go down in chapter 10 that has a bit of a puzzle you need to solve with the winch to get a treasure).

But just thinking about moving around Tomb Raider's cluttered, ugly zones using that narsty Assassin's Creed vision and having all sorts of obnoxious information pop up on the screen while Lara is going some horrible monologue makes me feel kind of nauseous. Uncharted games are much more streamlined, guided experiences, with all sorts of extraneous "content" (that I guess some people like) cut off in favor of a cinematic, tightly paced adventure where all the things you are doing are much more fun, and the narrative and aesthetic stuff really can't be ignored in how much they elevate the experience imo, and how much that stuff in Tomb Raider drags it down.

The story to me is part of the experience. I concede that Uncharted 4 is the better experience. TR2013 and ROTR had collectibles that fleshed out the environment so you could try to understand more what had happened on the island same as Uncharted 4. Uncharted 4 came across as heavy handed with these as some of them seemed necessary for character development not just additional exposition.

I agree Lara does feel floaty but I prefer that to auto platfroming that uncharted has. I actually feel in control of Lara not just along for the ride. Location wise I felt ROTR and Uncharted 4 were on par it just depends what you look for.

I agree with the comment about Uncharted being streamlined and tight, which is exactly why UC4 is disappointing because that's all of the things it isn't. Uncharted 4 has far too much wasted space where there is nothing really propelling the plot forward which kills momentum and pacing. ROTR honestly does a better job of this in context with TR2013 leading to my better sequel comment and better Uncharted comment. ROTR has slow moments but they aren't heavy handed, the puzzles that fill them are better, Lara feels like a genuine explorer and I never felt lost or aimless in these areas. I never questioned why they were the way they are. ROTR and Uncharted both introduce new gameplay mechanics but only one truly lets them shine. Uncharted 4 is the antithesis to Uncharted 3. Where UC3 put set pieces and bombast above all to its detriment I'd say UC4 utilizes narritive to the same negative effect.

Shin-chan

But Uncharted was never about many of the things Tomb Raider focuses on, and Tomb Raider has a shit story so I can't see how it's a better Uncharted game than Uncharted.

I prefer Uncharted's open spaces and platforming to Tomb Raider's because even if there isn't as much useless shit to collect around the world, the stuff you do find is so much more compelling because every little character moment or note or journal entry you find is tied to a cohesive narrative theme and is really enjoyable. And I find that just the simple act of moving around, jumping, sliding, using the rope, just feels way more satisfying than Lara's floaty movements. It doesn't hurt that Uncharted's locations are 100x more visually appealing too.

I do like the physics based puzzles in the optional tombs in Tomb Raider though. It's nice that they are sometimes kind of challenging to figure out, but they are tucked away so that they both feel rewarding to find and don't break up the pace of the adventure unless you want them to (not that Tomb Raider has particularly good pacing). Uncharted 4 has little mini versions of these sorts of things scattered about though (like there's a well you can go down in chapter 10 that has a bit of a puzzle you need to solve with the winch to get a treasure).

But just thinking about moving around Tomb Raider's cluttered, ugly zones using that narsty Assassin's Creed vision and having all sorts of obnoxious information pop up on the screen while Lara is going some horrible monologue makes me feel kind of nauseous. Uncharted games are much more streamlined, guided experiences, with all sorts of extraneous "content" (that I guess some people like) cut off in favor of a cinematic, tightly paced adventure where all the things you are doing are much more fun, and the narrative and aesthetic stuff really can't be ignored in how much they elevate the experience imo, and how much that stuff in Tomb Raider drags it down.
And here's a post where I completely agree with you. I found RoTR genuinely bad. It had a bad story, bad acting, bad level design, bad art design, bad writing and worst of all worse combat than the previous entry.

It's pacing is non existent since CD were happy to dump you in an area then throw a thousand collectable icons on your map and call it a day.

The guns all felt like pea shooters, even the shotgun was disappointing, and the stealth was about as robust as Uncharted 4s.

Traversal is dull and its rope swing mechanic is so limited it might as well only be there to open doors which in real life could be burned or exploded open because they're wood (these are also mechanics in the game, making this even more ridiculous).

The only interesting thing it has going for it is the bow.

In my opinion it's not even trying to be Uncharted anymore. It's trying to be Batman meets The Last of Us with some crap story that takes itself way too seriously. I can't think of a single area in which the game combines traversal with combat in any meaningful way so you basically end up with horizontal shooting galleries and relatively flat zones with small peaks to climb and collect some junk that somehow transforms into a new stock for your beebee gun assault rifle.

The Lamp

We all know TR's story is a joke compared to Uncharted but I think he meant it plays better like its game mechanics are more evolved but idk.

I prefer Uncharted's open spaces and platforming to Tomb Raider's because even if there isn't as much useless shit to collect around the world, the stuff you do find is so much more compelling because every little character moment or note or journal entry you find is tied to a cohesive narrative theme and is really enjoyable.

These are great but they are really rare and IMO don't justify the unbalanced proportion of moments where you're tossed into an empty level with paths that have nothing. The game design doesn't succeed at making this type of gameplay worth entire chapters of scavenging small empty rooms.

And I find that just the simple act of moving around, jumping, sliding, using the rope, just feels way more satisfying than Lara's floaty movements. It doesn't hurt that Uncharted's locations are 100x more visually appealing too.

This is absolutely agreeable, but climbing with pretty animations on pretty mountains and cliffs can get very old and dry if entire chapters are based on it instead of the more thoughtful U4 action game mechanics IMO.

You're right but those moments in U4 are really small, short and infrequent in proportion to the time spent wandering around, which is why I am feeling like TR handles exploration better overall right now (TBD upon completion).

But just thinking about moving around Tomb Raider's cluttered, ugly zones using that narsty Assassin's Creed vision and having all sorts of obnoxious information pop up on the screen while Lara is going some horrible monologue makes me feel kind of nauseous.

The vision is optional. It actually came in handy at times when I was lost but that just speaks to how TR is not quite as good at a sense of organic level direction as Uncharted.
Uncharted games are much more streamlined, guided experiences, with all sorts of extraneous "content" (that I guess some people like) cut off in favor of a cinematic, tightly paced adventure where all the things you are doing are much more fun, and the narrative and aesthetic stuff really can't be ignored in how much they elevate the experience imo, and how much that stuff in Tomb Raider drags it down.

I would agree except I wouldn't say what you are doing is much more fun when it comes to non-action gameplay. For all the reasons I described.

SomTervo

I can't get behind this Tomb Raider comparing favorably to Uncharted at all. Maybe ROTR is significantly better, but I thought TR 2013 was absolutely dire.

Aside from the aforementioned garbage tier storytelling, I thought combat encounters and mechanics were really boring and make zero use of mobility or interesting level design or anything. There were some cool additions to the platforming, and it is more platforming heavy than Uncharted, but I hated how floaty Lara's jump is, and I really really don't care about any of the billions of collectables scattered about to fill up arbitrary xp bars on a cluttered HUD screen in order to gain new abilities to try to make the game more fun. And the art direction was pretty bad, since the game is almost entirely brownish gray, and filled with nonsense structures and geographical formations that make the island not seem like a real, or cohesive place at all.

I honestly have more fun with Drake's Fortune than Tomb Raider '13

Bear in mind when I said 'favorably' re RotTR, I didn't mean 'it's as good as/better than'. I just meant it doesn't come out completely fucked up by Uncharted 4.

I'd give TR2013 a 6/10 with highs of 9/10. I'd give RotTR an 8/10 with highs of 10/10. Uncharted 4 is a through-and-through 9.5/10 (I hate giving decimals but I can't quite give UC4 a straight 10) with a lot of its time at 10/10.

The thing about RotTR is that you can lose yourself in the adventure quite often - like it's not so much about the yarn as Uncharted 4, but just adventuring adventuring adventuring, with a lot more challenge built into the moment-to-moment gameplay (fighting wolves in a forest, escaping traps in tombs, a bit more risk in the platforming - eg 'oh you got that ledge - but your grip is slipping, press X) and it all gels far better than it did in TR2013. RotTR is a far better game.

... and the stealth was about as robust as Uncharted 4s.

That is just crazy. You are just talking crazy now. Tomb Raider 2013, and Rise of, basically have no stealth. Stealth is a temporary state you're in at the very beginning of a level/area, there is practically no cover/hiding mechanic, it's so rudimentary, and usually you're spotted and in gunfights for the next 20 minutes/rest of the level.

I can boot up the Jungle fight in Uncharted 4 and play for literally two hours (literally because I did this exact thing last night and had a blast) toying with the AI and stealth, losing them, ambushing them, attacking them, flanking them, etc, and enjoying a surprising amount of mobility and 'sneaking' from them, too. That's right - if an enemy in Uncharted 4 sees you while you haven't seen them, they will creep up without raising an alert and grab you from behind with a 'stealth attack'. Happened to me in Uncharted 2, happened to me in TLoU, happened to me in UC4.

To compare Uncharted 4 and RotTR's combat - especially re stealth - is an absurd thing to do. RotTR's general combat is serviceable but has nothing on Uncharted at all.

Megatron

I haven't played TR 2013. I imagine ROTR is an improvement.

It certainly isn't better than Uncharted 4, but they are comparable in a lot of ways - puzzles, stealth in combat. There are certainly combat encounters with interesting design, such as diving underwater to evade detection. I don't think ROTR has any as large as UC4 has.

I will agree with the cluttered HUD, though. I didn't care for "You can now read [language] level 2", and things like that. But it had an interesting approach to puzzles, which were often off the beaten path. And it had some resource management in the combat. I also didn't find the locations to be unbelievable at all - not in a heightened reality sense, at least.

I'm really wondering how I'd enjoy it now, after playing UC4.

Obviously opinions are going to differ. I'm only at chapter 10 so far in UC4, so not far enough to make a full comparison, but SO FAR, both games have qualities that are superior to the other game.

Uncharted 4: Superior:
Graphics
Story
Cinema - really feels like a playable movie
Little details - things like that easter egg
Better characters

Rise of the Tomb Raider Superior:
Combat
Open World - Great fun just running around, hunting animals, while the levels in Uncharted 4 are more like Call of Duty, in that they are a series of set pieces that you are walked into.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying U4 quite a bit, but more for the story and cinema than the actual gameplay. I think Gameplay wise I prefer RotTR, but I love the other elements going on in U4.

Peru

ROTR and Uncharted 4 are both great games with very different strengths. Uncharted 4 is an orchestrated thrill ride of a totally different nature once you get past the similar-ish jumping and climbing. Because it's more linear it also allows for more tightly scripted plot. But I feel the TR writing is quite solid

The 2013 TR got too much criticism for the fact that you slaughtered 300 people after breaking down post- first kill. That just comes with this sort of game. In fact I thought it worked well as a revenge fantasy of sorts, where you got the shit knocked out of you for the first hour and then raged back. The game had other issues though and felt a little sluggish at parts.

ROTR is a lot better than TR 2013 - every system is tighter, the exploration better, the world more interesting, the tombs more substantial, and it approaches Uncharted-level presentatons in certain aspects. Of course UC4 is the king of polish, but ROTR offers a much more real type of exploration and far superior puzzles.

No reason to fight over them, but rather to applaud the maturation of the single player-focused, linear action adventure - and to observe how two surface-similar games do it quite differently. I definitely hope the TR series lives on now that UC seems to be gone for a while.

(On another note - I wish once you finished UC4 you could choose to replay levels without the gunfights)

Alienous

That is just crazy. You are just talking crazy now. Tomb Raider 2013, and Rise of, basically have no stealth. Stealth is a temporary state you're in at the very beginning of a level/area, there is practically no cover/hiding mechanic, it's so rudimentary, and usually you're spotted and in gunfights for the next 20 minutes/rest of the level.

I can boot up the Jungle fight in Uncharted 4 and play for literally two hours (literally because I did this exact thing last night and had a blast) toying with the AI and stealth, losing them, ambushing them, attacking them, flanking them, etc, and enjoying a surprising amount of mobility and 'sneaking' from them, too. That's right - if an enemy in Uncharted 4 sees you while you haven't seen them, they will creep up without raising an alert and grab you from behind with a 'stealth attack'. Happened to me in Uncharted 2, happened to me in TLoU, happened to me in UC4.

To compare Uncharted 4 and RotTR's combat - especially re stealth - is an absurd thing to do. RotTR's general combat is serviceable but has nothing on Uncharted at all.

What? RotTR definitely has stealth. It has cover, tall grass, stealth kills, travelling above and below enemies via trees and water, respectively. I don't know if you can return to stealth after being detected, though. If I did that I can't remember doing it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yea No. There are many encounters in the game that can be completely with pure stealth with a variety of tools.

I need video footage of this because every time on the off chance I haven't spotted an enemy the detection meter will start to get raised and you'll hear an audible "Hmmm? Huh? Saw something." if they see me and I don't see them. That coupled with mechanics like being able to distract enemies with multiple items including enemies themselves. And TR did the whole conveniently tall grass thing before UC, it has contextual stealth. Did you not play TR/ROTR?

MAX PAYMENT

That's right - if an enemy in Uncharted 4 sees you while you haven't seen them, they will creep up without raising an alert and grab you from behind with a 'stealth attack'. Happened to me in Uncharted 2, happened to me in TLoU, happened to me in UC4.

Willing to bet money that this isn't a thing.

SomTervo

What? RotTR definitely has stealth. It has cover, tall grass, stealth kills, travelling above and below enemies via trees and water, respectively. I don't know if you can return to stealth after being detected, though. If I did that I can't remember doing it.

Huh. It was a few weeks a go I played it last and all I remember was the rudimentary cover system and being able to climb trees. Don't remember long grass and certainly haven't experienced any water stealth.

You 100% can't lose enemies after being detected, though, and that's my biggest grievance. It's huge. You get spotted in one of the larger arenas, then you double back and lose them and sneak around different buildings/cover, you can literally see the enemies' guns tracking you through the walls. It's agonising.

Neiteio

When you use chapter select, can you choose starting points within each chapter, or is it always the start?

Also, will a cutscene viewer unlock upon completing the game?

I liked ROTR, its a good game

But its not on the same level on UC4 except puzzles. Like, lets be serious here. Combat, storytelling, visuals, art design, controls, music...like c'mon now fam.

NeoRausch

I just realized something:

I was at the end of a bigger shootout, finished the last guy off and found a note. So I opened nates diary to look at it.

And..... The where some gunshot residues on his right hand.... naughty dog!

Curufinwe

It almost feels like a soft reboot that removes everything I loved about Uncharted 1-3. The grounded, more realistic tone is my number one gripe with the game so far. Not sure why Naughty Dog decided to drastically change this series four games in, but it's their prerogative, I suppose.

It's not close to being a drastic change.

Ascenion

I liked ROTR, its a good game

But its not on the same level on UC4 except puzzles. Like, lets be serious here. Combat, storytelling, visuals, art design, controls, music...like c'mon now fam.

You know I would agree but Uncharted 4 has too little of the game part for me to. As I said Uncharted 4 is a better experience but I can't call it a better game. ROTR is the better game to me.

SomTervo

Willing to bet money that this isn't a thing.

I'm sure I've got footage of it happening. Will have a root around. If it happens to me again I'll get footage.

I'm 100% confident it happens in TLoU (they even shout 'I've got him! He's here!'), I'm about 80% confident it happens in UC2, and I'm about 50% confident it happens in UC4 - a slightly fuzzier memory - but why would they remove it? It's not like the most complex AI behaviour. These AI already do far more complex things.

Hah, yeah, I obviously rarely/never used it in my playthrough. None of the stealth struck me as being compelling - clearly not enough for me to even remember the mechanics.

I agree, but I'm trying to figure out exactly why.

I think they're just each very good at doing very different things, but UC4 has an unprecedented level of fidelity and polish, giving is a powerful edge.

Calaius

Neo Member
Finished the game this afternoon and loved it. I'm going to miss these characters. The nostalgia has already kicked in. Glad there's Blood & Wind coming in 2 days to avoid the infamous post-great-game-depression.

The slight shift to more narrative/exploration was expected since the Druckmann and Straley takeover. I get the disappointment coming from those who are more into the gunfights and explosions, but as much as I love the series, I've always found the gunfights a bit boring and tedious. Egoistically, I'm perfectly happy with the balance of this episode.

Loved the setting, loved the story, loved everything Naughty Dog does well, like making you feel the adventure, making you laugh, hitting you right in the feels, the level of detail, objectives always being perfectly clear, and so on. We're always asking authors to let their series rest before it's to late and it begins to suck, but man, it hurts when they do. I'm truly gonna miss this ass.

Tosyn_88

Bear in mind when I said 'favorably' re RotTR, I didn't mean 'it's as good as/better than'. I just meant it doesn't come out completely fucked up by Uncharted 4.

I'd give TR2013 a 6/10 with highs of 9/10. I'd give RotTR an 8/10 with highs of 10/10. Uncharted 4 is a through-and-through 9.5/10 (I hate giving decimals but I can't quite give UC4 a straight 10) with a lot of its time at 10/10.

The thing about RotTR is that you can lose yourself in the adventure quite often - like it's not so much about the yarn as Uncharted 4, but just adventuring adventuring adventuring, with a lot more challenge built into the moment-to-moment gameplay (fighting wolves in a forest, escaping traps in tombs, a bit more risk in the platforming - eg 'oh you got that ledge - but your grip is slipping, press X) and it all gels far better than it did in TR2013. RotTR is a far better game.

I think what you say sums up tomb raider well, it's a blend of many different flavours trying to find a voice whereas uncharted is confident at what it is so it doesn't add what isn't necessary

Just finally finished the game. It was definitely my favorite of the Uncharted series. The exploration and story felt so personal. Gonna miss this series, characters, and world Naughty Dawg created, but I can't wait to see what new IP they will create next.

I haven't played Rise of the Tomb Raider yet (I'll pick it up later this year when the PS4 edition comes out), but I will say that Uncharted 4 is making me look back on Tomb Raider 2013 more favorably. Obviously the narrative is garbage tier compared to UC4, but damn man, I was more satisfied from a gameplay standpoint with that game than I was with UC4, even with TR'13's ultra linear encounters and not knowing when to calm the hell down with all these explosions and falling, holy hell.

It kills me how UC4 never sustains its momentum with combat. That's the most mechanically deep part of the experience, and they constantly cut it off for near-passive traversal and/or narrative. TLOU absolutely had better and more involved pacing than UC4. How can chapters 11-16 have so few small/medium size encounters that help keep the intensity going at a steady clip? How can Ch. 16 be so slow? How can Ch. 19 be so bad? How does Ch. 21 have the only interesting platforming in the game? Why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets? Why is the industry designed to keep the artist in debt?

Speaking of Tomb Raider

tbh

tbh....

Tomb Raider Anniversary >>> all of these games being mentioned except for UC2

FiggyCal

Banned
Was anyone else slightly disappointed with
the lack of a supernatural element? All the previous games had at least a taste of it. This game lacked a really big twist... like that the treasure really was cursed and drove them crazy or something.

jimmylove

Neo Member
It's sad but fitting end to this decade old franchise. Naughty Dog really knows how to make a game and their story telling is getting better and better with Druckman. Fingers crossed for a new IP. However, I still wont say no to TLOU 2.

zsynqx

i8h58dkdbjnx7qqpq7lu.gif

Liamc723

Was anyone else slightly disappointed with
the lack of a supernatural element? All the previous games had at least a taste of it. This game lacked a really big twist... like that the treasure really was cursed and drove them crazy or something.

No, the supernatural twists suck.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
When you use chapter select, can you choose starting points within each chapter, or is it always the start?

Also, will a cutscene viewer unlock upon completing the game?

You always start at the beginning, so you can't pick other checkpoints later in the chapter. There is no cutscene viewer. I'm guessing it's because they're realtime now and it would take a while to load?

btw, on RotTR: I was fully expecting that game to be better than TR13, but it really wasn't. Was kinda disappointed with it, since there was so much stuff they could improve on. Upgrading and exploring felt just as useless as it did in the original. The story and characters are somehow even worse than TR13 too.

I might have said it earlier in the thread, but I'm intrigued to see how people feel about Uncharted 4 by the end of the year.

I think opinions might sour.

It's my favourite Uncharted but I don't think it's the best one.

neoemonk

So I've been wondering about this game. I played Uncharted and Uncharted 2 and enjoyed them. I wouldn't say I was crazy about them, but I had fun. I skipped 3 despite having it on PS+, but then along came Last of Us and I loved the shit out of that game. Top 5 all time material for me. Did they take anything from Last of Us, or is it more of the same Uncharted, which like I said isn't bad, but I felt like I had my fill of what the series has to offer after 2.

So I've been wondering about this game. I played Uncharted and Uncharted 2 and enjoyed them. I wouldn't say I was crazy about them, but I had fun. I skipped 3 despite having it on PS+, but then along came Last of Us and I loved the shit out of that game. Top 5 all time material for me. Did they take anything from Last of Us, or is it more of the same Uncharted, which like I said isn't bad, but I felt like I had my fill of what the series has to offer after 2.
I would say it's a good balance of Uncharted and The Last of Us. If you enjoyed the exploration and narrative of TLoU, then you'll likely enjoy Uncharted 4. If you like your games to feature a lot of combat, you'll likely be disappointed. But what combat UC4 does have is MUCH better than previous entries.

neoemonk

I would say it's a good balance of Uncharted and The Last of Us. If you enjoyed the exploration and narrative of TLoU, then you'll likely enjoy Uncharted 4. If you like your games to feature a lot of combat, you'll likely be disappointed. But what combat UC4 does have is MUCH better than previous entries.

If I had to pick something I would say the combat is what I got tired of in the older entries so if it's limited in UC4 then maybe I am more interested in it.

By the same respects, is UC3 worth playing? I could always throw it on the PS3 but I figured it was more of the same from 1 and 2 and just never got around to it.

If I had to pick something I would say the combat is what I got tired of in the older entries so if it's limited in UC4 then maybe I am more interested in it.

By the same respects, is UC3 worth playing? I could always throw it on the PS3 but I figured it was more of the same from 1 and 2 and just never got around to it.
If you like the characters then I'd say play UC3. It has some great moments. It might make you appreciate the story in UC4 more.

Top Bottom