• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

So I saw this photo earlier when Nimoy died but didn't think much of it until I looked at it again today and saw dots on their faces. We know in the past Naughty Dog have always hand animated their faces from scratch but now it might look like they're starting to use facial motion capture data.

B-4RSciUMAAbjjM.jpg:large

I don't like this, the hand animated faces in TLOU were so.. so incredible...

GnawtyDog

Banned
I don't like this, the hand animated faces in TLOU were so.. so incredible...

Did you see the PSX Demo? How is Drake's face or Sam's face anywhere near the face of Troy or Nolan?

I would assume that's for tracking lip/face muscle movement among other things. Helps the animators but they still gotta put the heavy work.

So I saw this photo earlier when Nimoy died but didn't think much of it until I looked at it again today and saw dots on their faces. We know in the past Naughty Dog have always hand animated their faces from scratch but now it might look like they're starting to use facial motion capture data.

Huh. Travis Baker looks quite a bit like Len Kabasinsky

C4uaNs0.jpg

Auctopus

They'll be reference points for the animators to work off.

Reference for animators breh

Drencrom

They've already said they are hand-animating the faces for U4 at PSX I think. It's probably a reference for the animators as others have said.

They've already said they are hand-animating the faces for U4 at PSX I think. It's probably a reference for the animators as others have said.

Josh Scherr also says it here

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-the-history-of-animation-at-naughty-dog.aspx

He says that they started out using hand animated faces because facial mocap back then wasn't any good. They stick with it because they feel they have a good thing going and because implementing facial capture to the pipeline isn't simple.

Amir0x

Banned
Unless I'm missing something...we don't have numbers from the PAL charts, we only know how high it charted, & it charted #1 in nearly every chart in EU, despite BF3 (which was the best selling game in the series).

The only numbers we have are:
- 3.8 million day one shipped.
- 5 million first month (unclear whether shipped or sold).
- ~9 million as of April 2012 (5 months after launch)
- ~800k NPD.
- Double Uncharted 2's first week WW
- UC3 sold 37% higher than UC2 in the UK.
- Triple Uncharted 2 sales in Japan
- Uncharted 2 sold 4.9 million as of 1 month before Uncharted 3's launch.

Those are the only numbers we have.

Let's not forget that The Last of Us sold-through 3.5 million in its first three weeks, & that was a new IP & not an established franchise like Uncharted, & it only sold ~900k on NPD as well, considering UC3 reached every sales milestone far faster than TLOU, it's not that far-fetched to say that it sold 1 million more than TLOU in its first month.

Again, it's the difference between shipped to stores and sold to consumers. Based on the actual sell through to consumers we were getting off the charts, we can easily guesstimate that it's not even in the same galaxy as six million sold to consumers in the first month.

That's the argument that's being made here. And it's a pretty important distinction if we're making sales predictions about Uncharted 4.

Top Bottom