• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

small44

I don't know, I'm just saying biggest have more than one meaning.

Going by the GAF anticipation thread it has the biggest anticipation this year.

Biggest critical hit?
Biggest space needed on your HDD? :p

no it can only mean sales if we talk about quality then they would say best game of the year or the most anticipated game of the year or the most rated games of the year

Elfstruck

Well in term goty awards, UC4 is a heavy condenter. If talking about sales, COD and AC will always have high sales. But that doesnt make them biggest games of the year though.

Servbot24

Banned
Well in term goty awards, UC4 is a heavy condenter. If talking about sales, COD and AC will always have high sales. But that doesnt make them biggest games of the year though.

Yeah, CoD and AC just kind of... exist? Obviously someone is buying them, but it's mainly the silent mob. Enthusiasts are going to be much more interested in Uncharted, Metal Gear, Zelda etc.

Alo0oy

Banned
Why are people so hung up over the title?

Uncharted 3 sold at least 9 million copies, the only franchises that have a new release this year that had a title sell better are Cod, BF, AC, & Halo, if UC4 sees the same growth UC3 had, it would outsell the latter two, the only games that are guaranteed to sell better are Call of Duty & Battlefield.

Every other franchise mentioned here is gonna sell 5-6 million at most. Bloodborne and Persona are niche titles, & not a single MGS or Zelda title sold better than UC3, & UC3 sold better than the entire Witcher franchise.

Uncharted 3 sold at least 9 million copies, the only franchises that have a new release this year that had a title sell better are Cod, BF, AC, & Halo, if UC4 sees the same growth UC3 had, it would outsell the latter two, the only games that are guaranteed to sell better are Call of Duty & Battlefield.
9 million? that would be pretty impressive if that's true but I don't think any uncharted game's sold more than 6 million bro. At least not yet. The trilogy helped propel it into the biggest playstation franchise and with the Ps4 selling like hotcakes the way it has been, I think Uc4 will break some massive new records for the franchise.
Every other franchise mentioned here is gonna sell 5-6 million at most. Bloodborne and Persona are niche titles, & not a single MGS or Zelda title sold better than UC3, & UC3 sold better than the entire Witcher franchise.
bloodborne is niche but the souls series has made it become a little more mainstream. and 5 million for a "niche" game is more than usual if you ask me.

Elfstruck

UC3 sold 9 mil? That is alot. o_O. I think Uc4 will sell at least 8-10 million in its first years, considering the UC fanbase.

The headline is well deserved. Unless ND makes a huge mistake this will be the biggest game of the year (sales wise, of course the big multiplat games will do better but that's about it)

Alo0oy

Banned
9 million? that would be pretty impressive if that's true but I don't think any uncharted game's sold more than 6 million bro. At least not yet. The trilogy helped propel it into the biggest playstation franchise and with the Ps4 selling like hotcakes the way it has been, I think Uc4 will break some massive new records for the franchise.

The Uncharted franchise was reported to have sold sold 8 million one month before Uncharted 3's launch:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2010/12/09/uncharted-series-sells-nearly-8-million-copies/

Five months after Uncharted 3's release, the franchise hit 17.3 million:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-deception-game-of-the-year-edition-announced

17 - 8 = 9, basic math.

bloodborne is niche but the souls series has made it become a little more mainstream. and 5 million for a "niche" game is more than usual if you ask me.

When I said niche I meant Bloodborne & Persona, neither of those two is gonna sell 5 million, 2-3 million would be the absolute best they can do, my 5 million comment was regarding Metal Gear, Zelda, & The Witcher.

The Uncharted franchise was reported to have sold sold 8 million one month before Uncharted 3's launch:
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2010/12/09/uncharted-series-sells-nearly-8-million-copies/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-deception-game-of-the-year-edition-announced

17 - 8 = 9, basic math.

When I said niche I meant Bloodborne & Persona, neither of those two is gonna sell 5 million, 2-3 million would be the absolute best they can do, my 5 million comment was regarding Metal Gear, Zelda, & The Witcher.
I know you were talking about bloodborne, and I'm saying I think the genre's become more mainstream from the souls' series success. but your estimate will probably end up to be most accurate.

samar11

I love Uncharted but biggest game of the year? Not even close. In my opinion, MGSV is the biggest game of the year.

I love MGSV but biggest game of the year? Not even close. In my opinion, Uncharted 4 is the biggest game of the year. LOL

Alo0oy

Banned
I know you were talking about bloodborne, and I'm saying I think the genre's become more mainstream from the souls' series success. but your estimate will probably end up to be most accurate.

Yeah, maybe 2-3 million units shouldn't be considered niche, but I wouldn't call it mainstream either.

samar11

I can't believe people are saying Witcher 3 is going to outsell this, what the fuck? How well did witcher 2 sell on consoles? Isn't the demographic of that game mainly pc gamers?

What are the combined sales of the first 2 witcher games compared to the first 2 uncharted games ?

Yeah, maybe 2-3 million units shouldn't be considered niche, but I wouldn't call it mainstream either.

no, perhaps 2-3 is niche. fighting games sell about that much these days. but I've got a feeling bloodborne will sell a little stronger than that.

Alo0oy

Banned
I can't believe people are saying Witcher 3 is going to outsell this, what the fuck? How well did witcher 2 sell on consoles? Isn't the demographic of that game mainly pc gamers?

What are the combined sales of the first 2 witcher games compared to the first 2 uncharted games ?

The first two Witcher games sold 8 million including the 360 version.

Uncharted 3 alone sold better than that.

Not many games are mainstream then.

Well, not many are, very few franchises sell over 5 million, & those are the only ones I'd consider "mainstream",

17 - 8 = 9, basic math.
How do you know the 17.3 wasn't made up by more sales of Uc2? Yes at that point Uc3 would be selling the most in the series but that doesn't mean Uc2 would cease to sell either.

Game4life

Banned
How do you know the 17.3 wasn't made up by more sales of Uc2? Yes at that point Uc3 would be selling the most in the series but that doesn't mean Uc2 would cease to sell either.

I think it is pretty safe to say UC3 did over 7 million and that would be more than MGS4 on PS3. UC is as big a franchise as MGS or any of the other games mentioned so far. Batman sells only around the same ball park as UC3 inspite of being in more platforms. UC would be a 12-14 million seller if it were on multiple platforms. It is a big franchise and that is irrefutable. Witcher will not sell even half of UC4 is my prediction.

I think it is pretty safe to say UC3 did over 7 million and that would be more than MGS4 on PS3. UC is as big a franchise as MGS or any of the other games mentioned so far. Batman sells only around the same ball park as UC3 inspite of being in more platforms. UC would be a 12-14 million seller if it were on multiple platforms. It is a big franchise and that is irrefutable. Witcher will not sell even half of UC4 is my prediction.
I have no doubt that uncharted is a system seller. But for the Ps3, as strong as a (at the time) new gen IP it was, it didn't have a high attachment rate when compared to exclusives and multiplat versions of games on the 360. 9 million would be shocking and great if true, but 7 million is more believable. And I think Uc4 will easily be the best selling uncharted game yet and break massive new records for the series.

wasn't ISS the fastest selling game in its series?

I have no doubt that uncharted is a system seller. But for the Ps3, as strong as a (at the time) new gen IP it was, it didn't have a high attachment rate when compared to exclusives and multiplat versions of games on the 360. 9 million would be shocking and great if true, but 7 million is more believable. And I think Uc4 will easily be the best selling uncharted game yet and break massive new records for the series.

It did just as well as the Gears series. Over that, the only other MS franchise that's bigger is Halo, and Sony has GT to cover that.

The only 360 exclusives that sold better than Uncharted 3 are the Halo games, literally. I really don't know what you are writing about...

Elfstruck

Yeh I think ISS is the fastest selling game, which I think it deserves.

It did just as well as the Gears series. Over that, the only other MS franchise that's bigger is Halo, and Sony has GT to cover that.
I think GT lost some momentum with GT6. Should've been a Ps4 launch title, but it was not at all. I'm not sure of the sales of that game was consistent with the GT series as a usual at all.
The only 360 exclusives that sold better than Uncharted 3 are the Halo games, literally. I really don't know what you are writing about...
It wasn't clear to me that uncharted sold as well as the gow series. but back when Me2 was a 360 exclusive, didn't it sell better/faster than Uc2 did? I get that Me2 also came out on PC but the 360 was always its strongest platform.
Yeh I think ISS is the fastest selling game, which I think it deserves.
I would agree. Although the game was quite short. If I paid full price for it I would feel as though I didn't get my money's worth out of it.

APpWXAm.jpg

Of course Sam will die, after he betrays Drake it's inevitable.
Maybe the reasons why Sam betrays Drake will be the most emotional part in this game :)

both are likely scenarios imo.

but we don't really know
much about sam. for all we know he might not even be nate's biological brother
I honestly don't want any of them happen though. Those scenarios are too cliche imo and I want the story to be something new, strange and fresh.

anybody hoping for previous characters to return? i'd like to see salim again.

Maybe the reasons why Sam betrays Drake will be the most emotional part in this game :)

I honestly don't want any of them happen though. Those scenarios are too cliche imo and I want the story to be something new, strange and fresh.
it's cliche for one to die or be betrayed?

there hasn't been a single main character death in the uncharted series. then again, uncharted doesn't really support a huge cast of supporting characters
Calling it now.

The reason for betrayal is Sam
Every
huh?

With all that going on, it’s little surprise that the demo runs at 30fps, despite Naughty Dog’s earlier claims that it was shooting for 60. “We’re actually above 30, but we locked it [for the demo],” Straley says (out on the floor, a debug station shows the game running at 37fps). “We’re going to do whatever it takes to make the game we want to make. If it means we could go for 60 but lose something that would really impact the player’s experience, then it’s our choice as developers to say, ‘Well, we’re going to go for the experience over the 60 frames.’”

I like this part of the article, a lot.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

People also ought to remember the utterly embarrassing outrage over GameSpot's 8/10 for the third instalment, a score many agreed with after they actually played the game themselves. It's all well and good to be hyped for a game (I'm looking forward to it myself), but don't regress to the emotional state of a four-year-old because a review challenged your expectations regarding something you've yet to experience for yourself.

2AdEPT

playing an uncharted game with 60fps WOULD be a damn great experience though.

exactly, what could they be talking about when they say "player experience." NOt much could trump 60FPS gameplay in the way of detailed facial hair or grass; if that's what it is? I've disliked that statement TBH, either say something like, "we want better detail in facial expression to convey a story and emotions of the characters during gameplay as well as cutscnenes", or if that aint true, dont give us excuses on the 60 FPS difficulties.

If they made uncharted 2 in 60fps but had to remove the collapsing building sequence, than I'm glad they choose 30fps.

Exactly, this would be more believeable a story, but why not just say so?

My 'random theory without basis' for UC4 is that how (Uncharted spoilers)
Nate took on the Francis Drake ancestral connection onto himself
, Sam did the same, but with
Henry Every instead.
gotcha. thanks for the clarification. looks like i'm lacking in my knowledge of historical explorers.
exactly, what could they be talking about when they say "player experience." NOt much could trump 60FPS gameplay in the way of detailed facial hair or grass; if that's what it is? I've disliked that statement TBH, either say something like, "we want better detail in facial expression to convey a story and emotions of the characters during gameplay as well as cutscnenes", or if that aint true, dont give us excuses on the 60 FPS difficulties.

Exactly, this would be more believeable a story, but why not just say so?
I feel you man. I'd rather they elaborate more and say something like "we want to be more graphically detailed and can't do all we want in 60fps" instead of saying "we don't want to do 60fps if it means compromising player experience" because we just established that 60fps would be a great player experience.

Either way, Uc4 is gonna be fucking great. 60fps would be a welcome new feature, but I'm all for all the bars and benchmarks Uc4's visuals will set.

Alo0oy

Banned

Uncharted 2 sold 4.9 million units in two whole years (the time between UC2's launch & UC3's launch), you're telling me that Uncharted 2 increased it's lifetime sales by 50% in the five months period of UC3's launch window? That makes no sense, even Gran Turismo doesn't have insane legs like that.

Hell even Grand Theft Auto on PS3/360 sold only 2 million units in a similar timeframe (it sold 32 million by the end of 2013, 34 million by mid-2014).

The vast majority of those sales were Uncharted 3, even if you're generous & give 1 million of those sales to Uncharted 2 (making it have better legs than Gran freakin' Turismo), that still means Uncharted 3 sold 8 million units.

9 million is not only vastly better than any franchise some people mentioned here (minus CoD, BF, & AC), but its better than any Halo game except for Halo 3 (we don't have a definitive number for Halo 4 except that it sold less than Halo 3 which sold 10-11 million, so we don't actually know whether Halo 4 sold better than Uncharted 3 or not).

If Uncharted 4 sees the same growth Uncharted 3 had, it could sell ~12 million units.

Top Bottom