• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

All those juicy impressions and this is the one thing people care about.

It's to the point where we prefer to talk about people who talk about games, rather than talk about games.

I'm just pointing out that it's a pretty bold claim to make. "Biggest game of the year" When all the games, reviews, and sales have yet to release is quite the claim.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I'm just pointing out that it's a pretty bold claim to make. "Biggest game of the year" When all the games, reviews, and sales have yet to release is quite the claim.
EDGE choose that cover headline so you click on it. You did, so they won.

Right, they chose to make such a claim. They won't win until the end of the year when all of the numbers come out. :D
I think they don't really give much of a shit. They wanted something grabby but they don't care beyond that. It's what EDGE does.

Uncharted is at the bottom of my list right now. Batman, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3? I feel like most people are more excited for those.

If Batman delivers it's going to annihilate, I guarantee it.

Were the PS3 UC games locked at 30FPS? If not and UC4 is then that's still quite an improvement over last gen.
yeah they were, I think. it barely ever dipped below that.

I wasn't very impressed with the visuals in the demo - it's like how machinima described it, the colors were just not as vivid as they usually are in uncharted games. but that's still presumably the prealpha build so it's okay.

Uncharted is at the bottom of my list right now. Batman, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3? I feel like most people are more excited for those.

If Batman delivers it's going to annihilate, I guarantee it.

You expect people to be more excited about games that are closer to release. The hype cycle is at it's zenith at that point.

benny_a

You expect people to be more excited about games that are closer to release. The hype cycle is at it's zenith at that point.
Well it wasn't true for the people that voted on what game they most anticipate on this forum.

Anyway, it doesn't matter one bit. This headline was chosen so people click and then READ the article.

Right, they chose to make such a claim. They won't win until the end of the year when all of the numbers come out. :D

No, they "won" because it was designed to get you to click on the headline, that's all. "Biggest game of the year" is just hype marketing. Yes, we all know there are other games that are also highly anticipated, could sell more etc. That's not the point. It's just a term to throw at any hotly anticipated AAA game. They could have thrown the same headline on if they got a big exclusive article for MGS V, or Zelda or something.

People in here are getting wayyyyy too caught up in the semantics lol.

To me when I see "Biggest Game of The Year" I don't think "Bestselling". I look at it like "Naughty Dog, the developer responsible for GOTY winners The Last of Us and Uncharted 2 are releasing a new game this year and you should be damn excited!"

Back on topic. The article was nice to read. I love reading about the little details they are trying to incorporate into the game. I'm also incredibly happy that the gameplay is basically an evolution of TLoUs encounter design.

ryuken-d

We better see more than one. Why the hell did I buy a PS4 for? :)

omg I'm hoping you didn't buy a PS4 just for uncharted. even if its the best "biggest" :) game of the year. So many other great games.

just to throw it out there, isn't this the first Witcher to be released on consoles? I'd imagine not too many of the unwashed mass's even know about it. Besides the ad's of course but I don't have TV so I have no idea how much they've been advertising for it.
I'm looking forward to it though I'm guessing it'll easily be better than Dragon age.

They are making way too much out of how cool the climbing system will be. The only reason people are climbing the wall is get from one non-wall section of the game to another. They may as well be talking about how cool the loading screen will be. I don't see why I would be deriving enjoyment out of making climbing more complicated.

Dawg

Quick, link this thread in the MGS Community thread for recruitment. We are diamond dogs!

Benny, how dare you think so low of me. I've told Sn4ke many times over in the Community thread that he should stop this shit :p

And most of us think that way.

The hype for the game will still be there regardless. It'll be a shame if it isn't 60FPS, but I really can't believe that'd be a deal breaker for anyone genuinely interested in the game to begin with.

I don't think so either but to be honest, I was pretty excited about playing the game with 60fps and was bummed out hearing about how they can't really do it.

This will still probably be my new favorite game ever, as Uc2 was.

benny_a

They are making way too much out of how cool the climbing system will be. The only reason people are climbing the wall is get from one non-wall section of the game to another. They may as well be talking about how cool the loading screen will be. I don't see why I would be deriving enjoyment out of making climbing more complicated.
I think everything that is interactive should be better.

Benny, how dare you think so low of me. I've told Sn4ke many times over in the Community thread that he should stop this shit :p

And most of us think that way.
I didn't mean you specifically. I just remember reading "We are Diamong Dogs" the last time there was intra-thread recruitment.

Also this is silly to talk about. But then again a lot of this meta stuff that was going on that I participated that isn't about the content of the article was silly. :-/

KorrZ

You don't think that the fact you see the climbing as pointless and just a way to get from A to B is the reason they want to change that?

Harmen

This is exacly the point. Nobody liked the climbing itself, while there were often some sequences that focused heavily on it. And that is why they stress this so much. Many people complained about the automatic setpiece climbing moments and they intend to make it more fun and less scripted.

And if they pull that off it will be cool. I do wonder how they will implement this into combat more though, the "automatic" climbing did allow it to be implemented well into the gameplay (especially multiplayer). It's easyness is what gives UC that accesible vertical shooter gameplay.

The trailers and gameplay for MGS V look nothing special to say the very least, watched the gameplay video and all I could think was that the woman needed to put some clothes on.

HurrjOo.jpg

Harmen

Were the PS3 UC games locked at 30FPS? If not and UC4 is then that's still quite an improvement over last gen.

I thought the framerate was pretty consistent at 30 for 2 and 3. Only at those heavy setpiece moments there could be some more slowdown than usual. Could be wrong though. TLOU was pretty bad, however. I do expect them to have it thightly at 30 for the majority of the time for 4.

I quickly googled uc2 framerate and the first thing I got was a thread with people cancelling their preorders of UC3 because it is 30 fps, lol. Guess that is not something that came with this gen after all.

Dawg

I didn't mean you specifically. I just remember reading "We are Diamong Dogs" the last time there was intra-thread recruitment.

Also this is silly to talk about. But then again a lot of this meta stuff that was going on that I participated that isn't about the content of the article was silly. :-/

I agree. I think both Sn4ke and Batzi still can't get over the fact Uncharted 4 won GAF's most anticipated voting :p Which is silly to begin with, considering that thread was just a way to see what games everyone is looking forward to. Just wanted to let you know most of us in the community thread think it's silly that people keep having this Uncharted vs. Metal Gear Solid discussion.

I have no problem admitting MGS V is higher on my list than Uncharted 4, but that doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to this game. In fact, I think it's silly to put so much thought into unreleased games. Uncharted 4 is definitely in my top 3, alongside Persona 5. Metal Gear Solid V being on top is a personal choice. Who knows.... I might like Persona or Uncharted more in the end :p

benny_a

You lot are playing with fire.

I mean I hope there will be fire effects for this game we're talking about in this thread which goes by the name Uncharted 4.

Dawg

You lot are playing with fire.

I mean I hope there will be fire effects for this game we're talking about in this thread which goes by the name Uncharted 4.

I like to live on the edge.

That is, I hope Uncharted 4 will have lots of sequences where you have to climb on the edge of a cliff or mountain. It really is an exciting part of the game. You're never really sure if the next rock will fall down or if you will survive. You have to put faith in yourself and in the mountain. You hope the mountain understands your character. And that it won't punish you.

broony

I've only played the vita uncharted game. I'm on my third play through of TLOU at the minute though and I'm looking forward to UC4. Do 2 and 3 still stand up? Are they worth picking up?

Think I might actually have 3 through ps plus, so may skip 2 and just play that.

maneil99

:-\

You better go and check previous Uncharted sales in comparison to the Halo games over the years. lol

Every Halo post Halo 3 has went down in sales, even with nearly double the install base, Halo 5 will likely be launching on a system with under 15 million consoles sold and after the disaster called Halo MCC and Halo 4, vs a system with likely 30 million consoles sold and a series on the rise, coming hot after TLOU.

I've only played the vita uncharted game. I'm on my third play through of TLOU at the minute though and I'm looking forward to UC4. Do 2 and 3 still stand up? Are they worth picking up?

Think I might actually have 3 through ps plus, so may skip 2 and just play that.

2 and 3 absolutely hold up. They are amazing. 2 in particular is the best, but 3 is amazing as well. The first game is great as well, just much smaller and less refined than its sequel. All three are leagues better than the Vita game though.

Yeah, i'm sure everyone was expecting some big setpiece in the PSX demo, and it never happened. Instead they were able to show that Uncharted is more than that. They also showed that people are excited about the core mechanics since that's all that was really shown in that demo. To be honest, I wouldn't be against them holding all setpieces back for the final release of the game. But i'm pretty sure that we'll see at least one before then. Most likely to kickoff Sony's E3 conference.
Brains will melt.

gruenel

yeah they were, I think. it barely ever dipped below that.

I wasn't very impressed with the visuals in the demo - it's like how machinima described it, the colors were just not as vivid as they usually are in uncharted games. but that's still presumably the prealpha build so it's okay.

Wasn't that just an error in the video encoding?

benny_a

I wish that they never showed the Hotel level at the 2009 E3. I don't want those types of spoilers again.
I think in general, not just in this game, is that you watch as much as the game as you want until you're sufficiently convinced that you want to play it. Then you don't watch anything past that and just play it.

Of course that point may never come, or you may not even have to watch a single thing if you're a big fan of a franchise or a developer.

benny_a

That's nothing compared to Uncharted 3. They showed every setpiece before launch.
And I watched not a single video of it and waited until the aiming patch was out and loved it. :p

Edit: Oh but keep in mind the above described method works better for games that end up like the media that convinced you that you want to play it. If there are big changes past that point you might be let down a lot.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And I watched not a single video of it and waited until the aiming patch was out and loved it. :p
It's hard to avoid gifs and the like, especially in the threads I frequent. I also watch press conferences so it's hard to avoid them there too. Most games I can do a media blackout pretty easily but it's difficult for me to do that with ND's titles.

benny_a

It's hard to avoid gifs and the like, especially in the threads I frequent. I also watch press conferences so it's hard to avoid them there too. Most games I can do a media blackout pretty easily but it's difficult for me to do that with ND's titles.
Missing out on those threads is of course the trade-off. And if you listen to podcasts you need to skip forward when the demo comes up and all that. It's definitely an inconvenience.

Because I skipped everything for The Last of Us I didn't know about the upside down trap even though I think that was either at some E3 or a demo build at PAX or something. Just having that all of a sudden happen was cool.

One person can be heard saying"They are kidding. They are kidding, right?" in disbelief. That was probably close to my expression as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Missing out on those threads is of course the trade-off. And if you listen to podcasts you need to skip forward when the demo comes up and all that. It's definitely an inconvenience.

Because I skipped everything for The Last of Us I didn't know about the upside down trap even though I think that was either at some E3 or a demo build at PAX or something. Just having that all of a sudden happen was cool.
I went in ultra fresh for TLoU. It helped that ND kept a lot under wraps for that one. Sony's studios as a whole have been good about keeping things quiet so I hope that Uncharted 4 will follow suit.

Karu

Wasn't too impressed with Uncharted 3 (It's a good game nonetheless & the multiplayer is great), but after having finished TLoU last week for the first time, and having seen the U4 gameplay demo, I have faith, this will be an amazing game. Thanks to TLoU this wandered up my anticipated list like few other games. Still not on top, but closer.

Top Bottom