• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

Wakka212

I expect he will wash up and then BAM, Gameplay!

Agreed. It would be such a punch in the face for the naysayers. I genuinely believe they will be able to achieve the visuals and gameplay that we are all hyped for.

If theres one studio I no longer doubt, its Naught Dog. It's a fault, but it's just how I feel.

If I didn't already have a ps4 I would have bought it the day this was shown off.

Love me some uncharted goodness. Can't wait to see how the rest of the game looks, they have been pretty quiet and hvent shown much. Hell. Even rise of the tomb raider I feel has shown more diversity in the game world.

It's going to be a rough year for GOTY with blooborne, batman, halo 5, the witcher 3 and more, but I will never doubt naughty dogs ability to stand out

Caderfix

I didn't like uncharted at first, but then it grew on me thanks to uncharted 2, that made me revisit UC and UC3 and I'm glad I did, all three games are amazing.

Can't wait to play this :)

LastNac

Hennig was in charge of UC3 and people claim it was bad(it was mostly great) so why would that be an issue? The demo was great too. The 60fps comments will haunt them, but won't be a big deal in the end.

Well, she was in charge of all of them.

That thread certainly had people who were upset by the news.

Chinner

Banned
Uncharted 4 is Neogaf's most 'anticipated' game of year, but most people were tricked into voting because they were under the belief that it would be 60fps.

Naughty Dog have essentially come out to say that Uncharted 4 will be 30fps, and with this most of the hype has deflated. There should be a revote, because most fans have become disillusioned with Uncharted 4 now and I imagine at this point it is nearing flop status.

Verendus

Banned
I've always enjoyed the combat in these games, but UC4 really is exciting because they're just expanding it even more. Levels with more vertical structure, improved traversal mechanics, and open areas that will allow for more dynamic encounters. If they pull it off, this is going to be special. I want some insane setpieces. I'd ask for snowboarding whilst shooting, but since that's a bit too cartoony, I'll settle for a big snow setpiece. Imagine incorporating something like an avalanche into a big gameplay sequence.

Uncharted 4 is Neogaf's most 'anticipated' game of year, but most people were tricked into voting because they were under the belief that it would be 60fps.

Naughty Dog have essentially come out to say that Uncharted 4 will be 30fps, and with this most of the hype has deflated. There should be a revote, because most fans have become disillusioned with Uncharted 4 now and I imagine at this point it is nearing flop status.

I agree with all of this. And it's not just the whole frame rate debacle either - The Order: 1886 is out now and it looks way better graphically than Uncharted 4. How am I supposed to be excited for a game coming out this fall when it already looks severely underwhelming compared to what Ready at Dawn have achieved visually on the same platform? UC4 practically looks a generation behind visually.

Biggest game of the year my arse.

Wakka212

I'm curious to see how they improve upon the puzzle and exploration elements. I'd like some more difficult puzzles and sections with meaningful exploration that add thick layers of atmosphere.

....what? The PS3 games ran at 30fps and they were great. Just because UC4 is going to run at 30fps doesn't make it a flop.

Grewitch

I can't believe how rabidly people went all bukkake over a thread title. Like it's some kind of competition to see who's got the biggest dick or something.

I'm just sitting back eating some sweet delicious persimmon fruit and chuckling in disdain.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how many changes they make. Not just from a technical stand point, but also gameplay wise. I love the series, but it needs to either grow or they need to do something completely different, get some fresh ideas and try new things. I feel like it's coming to a point where that needs to happen.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to one last adventure at least.

prediction: uncharted 4 will be the most over-analyzed, hyper-critiqued video game ever released. & i'm really not looking forward to it (the analyzed/critiqued part, i mean - i'm definitely looking forward to the actual game itself :) )...
Pretty good prediction... seeing that this exact thing just happened.

I think ND can deliver though. We've seen what they can deliver and they are providing tangible infos. If they better what games they've already been able to make, it's a winner for me.

I can't believe how rabidly people went all bukkake over a thread title. Like it's some kind of competition to see who's got the biggest dick or something.

I'm just sitting back eating some sweet delicious persimmon fruit and chuckling in disdain.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how many changes they make. Not just from a technical stand point, but also gameplay wise. I love the series, but it needs to either grow or they need to do something completely different, get some fresh ideas and try new things. I feel like it's coming to a point where that needs to happen.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to one last adventure at least.

It won't be the last. Abandon an IP at what might be it's highest point(commercially)? They might a do couple of other games(TLOU2, new IP) before revisiting it though.

Verendus

Banned
Are we sure that UC4 is a 2015 game?
Don't worry. It'll be delayed, the leads fired, and delayed again to 2017.

UC2 had the building, train, and a driving section if I remember right.
UC3 had ship, plane, and horses.
UC4 needs to go crazy, and have an avalanche, river/waterfall, collapsing temple on some kind of collapsing huge mountain or something.

Then in UC5, we go to space. And the moon.

Rajang

I voted for Uncharted 4 in my most antipicated list because I thought they were going for 1080p/60fps with those visuals. But it seems they care more about the experience of realistic chest hair that is affected by the wind.

I will still buy the game though. But they should have just never mentioned 60 fps in the first place. I remember Druckmann tweeting about it as well even saying stuff like: "I had a dream in 60fps" or something like that. :/

Not subscribed to EDGE so, nice read.

The biggest game of the year doesn't necessarily mean the best selling, but most anticipated per say. At the end of the day, the Fall game that comes out with the strongest GOTY acclaim is usually the biggest game of the year - those holiday months generate a lot of buzz.
in this context then what do you define as "biggest"? if it is the most anticipated, that anticipation usually leads to enormously high sales.

I can't believe how old Drake is, the jumping is going to be shit because his muscles have atrophied, and he'll probably keep forgetting where he buried his treasure.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You'll all see what the meaning behind "biggest" is.

If you want to ruin the surprise, this is a big part of the E3 plan:
Donut Drake will be the default model.

Down with ableism.

Don't worry. It'll be delayed, the leads fired, and delayed again to 2017.

UC2 had the building, train, and a driving section if I remember right.
UC3 had ship, plane, and horses.
UC4 needs to go crazy, and have an avalanche, river/waterfall, collapsing temple on some kind of collapsing huge mountain or something.

Then in UC5, we go to space. And the moon.
Who better to chart the moon than Drake? I think you are on to something.

Rajang

You'll all see what the meaning behind "biggest" is.

If you want to ruin the surprise, this is a big part of the E3 plan:
Donut Drake will be the default model.

Down with ableism.

Donut Drake, LOL. I hope ND reads this and actually adds that to the game and makes it an unlockable (after you finish the game).

FranXico

gamesradar said:
With all that going on, it’s little surprise that the demo runs at 30fps, despite Naughty Dog’s earlier claims that it was shooting for 60. “We’re actually above 30, but we locked it [for the demo],” Straley says (out on the floor, a debug station shows the game running at 37fps). “We’re going to do whatever it takes to make the game we want to make. If it means we could go for 60 but lose something that would really impact the player’s experience, then it’s our choice as developers to say, ‘Well, we’re going to go for the experience over the 60 frames.’”

I am doubtful that they will ever manage to run it at 60fps.

Sounds like it will be probably be 30 without dips, though. That should do fine.

Batzi

Banned
I love Uncharted but biggest game of the year? Not even close. In my opinion, MGSV is the biggest game of the year.

Co-director with Straley and co-written with Druckmann. Not as much control as she had with Uncharted 3.

Every ND game has a co-director. There's creative director that mostly handles story, and game director who mostly handles gameplay. In U3 the game director was Justin Richmond. I think the only change was there was no co-writer for U3 but I'm not positive.

MGSV for example will beat the shit out of it with content and sales.

We don't know that for certain. I'm sure that TPP will be big. but you can't just make a direct comparison when there's so little that has been revealed for UC4. It's very unreasonable to act 100% certain.

Same thing goes for sales. It's more complex than what you're saying.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
There's a good chance it will be thee highest-rated game of the year, as well as the best selling exclusive game. I don't think calling it the biggest game of the year is unreasonable, even if I wouldn't give it that title myself (yet).

Chinner

Banned
We don't know that for certain. I'm sure that TPP will be big. but you can't just make a direct comparison when there's so little that has been revealed for UC4. It's very unreasonable to act 100% certain.

Same thing goes for sales. It's more complex than what you're saying.

At this point no one here can say anything, but how about we take an opinion from someone who is heavily involved with both games?

During the January 13th episode of KindaFunnyGames, hosted by Colin Moriarty and Greg Miller, Troy Baker talked a bit about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, and his involvement in the game as the voice and facial actor for Ocelot.

“I’m anxious to see how people look at this new Metal Gear. Because it’s really different, man.” he said. “It fits perfectly within the rest of the franchise. In some ways I think it’s… man. It’s going to be really good. But I’m really curious to see what people think.”

The conversation then shifted to the game’s scale. Troy Baker: “It may be the biggest game I’ve ever seen. Just in terms of everything that you can do. Like, Skyrim looks like an afternoon playpen next to it. It’s massive! It’s absolutely massive what you can do.”

Notice how he didn't say "Unchated 4 is the biggest game I've ever seen'? or "Uncharted is really different". It's clear that MGSV is the most ambitious and hyped game out there.

His opinion is valid, and I think it' fair to say based on this that MGSV will be the biggest game of 2015, while Uncharted 4 will just another yearly cash-in attempt that lasts about 6 hours long with qtes.

LastNac

No she wasn't in charge of Uncharted 2.
Yes, she was.

Also, co-writer might be a little too generous. The ideas we know he presented forward didn't make it into the final game. I like Druckmann, I think he is talented/ good at what he does. The man deserves the acclaim for TLoU. That said I'm sick of hearing this retroactive rhetoric that somehow has Hennig unaffiliated with UC2. It really comes off disrespectful. People make it sound like she never worked on the game and that's just simply not true.

LastNac

May be they'll show him walking around aimlessly for while, just for the feels.
Oh, those feels.

I'm really hoping for a desert like moment in UC4.

Something that is interactive, cinematically framed, and is slightly cerebral. Something that is able to capture the essence of the moment like UC3 did.

I am playing The Last of Us Remastered and loving it right now. Uncharted 4 is in really good hands and should be an incredible experience. Day 1

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
His opinion is valid, and I think it' fair to say based on this that MGSV will be the biggest game of 2015, while Uncharted 4 will just another yearly cash-in attempt that lasts about 6 hours long with qtes.
But if one fails the QTEs every time then the game is endless. Now that's value.

LastNac

I am playing The Last of Us Remastered and loving it right now. Uncharted 4 is in really good hands and should be an incredible experience. Day 1
My biggest hangup with TLoU will always be Summer. It just seems to drag. Damn it though, Winter and Spring makeup for it.

Certainly looking forward to UC4

EktorOni

UC1 had Hennig directing and Straley + Druckmann learning.

UC2 had Straley directing gameplay, Hennig directing creatively and Druckmann co-directing.

UC3 had Richmond directing gameplay and Hennig directing creatively.

TLoU had Straley + Druckmann co-directing.

UC4 will be amazing.

Top Bottom