• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

I trust this will be an epic. Wonder what the controversy will be outside of 30fps complaints if they don't hit the 60 they initially promised. There will be some kind of controversy. Uncharted is now TOO open world :O!?

Watch people say the gameplay isn't Next Gen enough or some other stuff we been hearing this current gen.

foxbeldin

That wasn't the question I asked, unless you know that Naughty Dog has stated that UC4 won't support it.

UC3 had 3D because Sony wanted to push it real hard into homes at the time it released.
3D gaming failed to get interest, they're not pushing 3D anymore, anywhere, so you can be damn sure ND won't bother this time around. It costs time, money, and performance. There's no way it will happen.
If you want to know if ND made an official statement about it, the answer is no, because they don't care. Have you seen many games with 3D lately? No, because it's dead.

This is coming from someone who bought an expensive 3D TV for UC3.

Javin98

Banned
UC3 had 3D because Sony wanted to push it real hard into homes at the time it released.
3D gaming failed to get interest, they're not pushing 3D anymore, anywhere, so you can be damn sure ND won't bother this time around. It costs time, money, and performance. There's no way it will happen.
If you want to know if ND made an official statement about it, the answer is no, because they don't care. Have you seen many games with 3D lately? No, because it's dead.

This is coming from someone who bought an expensive 3D TV for UC3.
LOL, I got a 3D TV for games as well and look at where we are now. It's sad that 3D gaming died off so quickly. Some games like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 looked amazing in 3D. Then again, 3D was really taxing performance and most games didn't even use it well.

Godan

Sure cause every year a game achieve a 96 MC, what's the big deal anyway?? :|

Well most years there is a game that 96 or more MC score. So yes there is always a game that hits 96+ MC all bar like 2 years of the past 10. Never said it was a big deal just that the year UC2 got it it didn't have much competition. TLOU on the other hand was up against other titles that could beat it (GTA:V) but It managed to get GOTY an rightfully so.

I'm in accord with this statement as it makes sense. That said, I am curious to see if UC4 will outsell MGSV on PS4.

Of course it will. The Uncharted series sells 5+ million copies a game (and is still growing from installment to installment so UC4 could very likely go higher). MGS4 sold 6 million. Even if MGSV gets a huge boost for being the first truly multiplatform release in the series, the PS4 SKU isn't going to sell 5 million or more.

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

2015-02-2616_38_06-mia3uiq.png

Konami doesn't have many good IP's that sell well left. Metal Gear is one of their biggest flagships so of course they want to get as much out of it as possible. It's not like a new MGS game comes out every 2 or 3 years.

The last console MGS game (MGS4) came out in 2008.

So you are talking about Metal Gear Solid V and Konami in a Uncharted 4 thread?

I may have missed it but was there any talk of UC4 supporting 3D like UC3 did? It was really well done and there has been a dearth of 3d enabled titles so I'm hoping they include it with UC4.

Anyone know?"
Don't think so.
The 3D thingy is already over, as it seems.

DieH@rd

Banned
Very nice article.

They even described that they saw section of the game where Drake is waking up on the sandy beach after shipwreck, and scene when Drake and Sam are separated by the rough terrain.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Very nice article.

They even described that they saw section of the game where Drake is waking up on the sandy beach after shipwreck, and scene when Drake and Sam are separated by the rough terrain.

Wonder how that'll play out... hopefully interactive (except waking up of course).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So you are talking about Metal Gear Solid V and Konami in a Uncharted 4 thread?

Don't think so.
The 3D thingy is already over, as it seems.

Calm the fuck down. I just explained to the other guy why MGSV is a cross-gen title.

Ricky_R

Why you gotta be like that Rick, huh?

Why you gotta be like that?

Hahah, well... I'm sure we will get the impact you're expecting from a scene like that, even if they don't force us to walk. Although it would be better to force us tbh.

I've been forced walking like a motherfucker in The Order and I don't mind. :)

Yeah nice name duder.

Just saying how things are or would you disagree?

How are things? It's your opinion which can't be wrong cause it's your opinion. Just like their opinion that UC4 is the biggest can't be wrong either. But to talk like your opinion is fact is just nonsense. Both games are on the top of my biggest games of 2015.

LastNac

Hahah, well... I'm sure we will get the impact you're expecting from a scene like that, even if they don't force us to walk. Although it would be better to force us tbh.

I've been forced walking like a motherfucker in The Order and I don't mind. :)

Well, The Order requires you to click L3 due to walking being the default speed, which isn't an issue at all. My biggest qualm with The Order was that there were so many sequences that could easily have been playable.

Carrying
Lady Ingrid
during chapter 4 should have been a sequence like what we saw in TLoU.

Wakka212

Well, The Order requires you to click L3 due to walking being the default speed, which isn't an issue at all. My biggest qualm with The Order was that there were so many sequences that could easily have been playable.

Carrying
Lady Ingrid

Exactly! I was so surprised they didn't go that route. It would have been far more immersive, especially if there was some key dialogue during the sequence.

This is what I want to see more of. A greater focus on gameplay. This series has gone from me admiring the visuals from afar but not buying, to being at the top of my most anticipated games of 2015. Nicely done.

LastNac

Exactly! I was so surprised they didn't go that route. It would have been far more immersive, especially if there was some key dialogue during the sequence.

Spot on.

So many missed opportunities that other games have already utilized.

To me, not trying to be interactive for the smaller moments is what held The Order back the most.

Alienous

Nobody cares in a Uncharted thread!

v

What else is there to this article?

Uh ... so it appears Nathan Drake sure can climb ... I hear. It's retreading a lot of things they have already said, so I can see why people gravitated towards rebutting the title of the article.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nobody cares in a Uncharted thread!

v

You're unbelievable. You want a discussion about this article? then fucking start TALKING about this article and stop quoting what I say.

First of all, not everyone has the time to read the whole article so it would be much appreciated if you would do your job as a OP and BOLD IMPORTANT stuff.

But you know what? there is not really anything new here so people have not much to talk about so who can blame them.

Wakka212

Spot on.

So many missed opportunities that other games have already utilized.

To me, not trying to be interactive for the smaller moments is what held The Order back the most.

I'm quite confident RAD will take note and create an incredible sequel. Most of that 5 year development cycle was so dedicated to building an engine and vision that the overall gameplay mechanics stayed in the past.

If RAD takes some inspiration from some of the improvements Uncharted is making to its formula, the sequel should be fantastic.

Getting back to Uncharted, I can't wait to replay levels taking different routes and expirementing with the advanced AI.

Ricky_R

Carrying
Lady Ingrid

I agree. ND is on a different level when it comes to playable scenes like that. Btw, I'm talking about forced walking moments when clicking L3 doesn't do anything. I still walk as much as I can though, even when I can jog.

Wakka212

I agree. ND is on a different level when it comes to playable scenes like that. Btw, I'm talking about forced walking moments when clicking L3 doesn't do anything. I still walk as much as I can though, even when I can jog.

Yeah I tend to walk when I feel the scene demands it. I always play through Uncharted and TLOU trying to make the main character act within the context of the situation. It breaks the immersion if my character is running around to different corners of the room like a mad man. Thats why I almost always do a second play through after I've found all of hte collectibles.

Great article. One of the things I loved about Last of Us was all the little ins and outs that were littered across the environment and allowed the player to approach each encounter in multiple ways. Because of that it also solved the waist high walls and barricade stuff that plagues other third person games because instead you are using furniture or windows or walls that actually make sense in the environment.

Can't wait to see the next evolution of that. Just knowing that PSX demo could have been handled a completely different way is exciting enough.

LastNac

I walked myself so I didn't even know L3 was disabled at times.

LastNac

Yeah I tend to walk when I feel the scene demands it. I always play through Uncharted and TLOU trying to make the main character act within the context of the situation. It breaks the immersion if my character is running around to different corners of the room like a mad man. Thats why I almost always do a second play through after I've found all of hte collectibles.

myman.gif

Your sir, get the context.

Interesting read. Naughty Dog still has a long ways to go, gameplay wise, to be up there with the best, but they do sound like they are learning. Can't wait for U4!

You're unbelievable. You want a discussion about this article? then fucking start TALKING about this article and stop quoting what I say.

First of all, not everyone has the time to read the whole article so it would be much appreciated if you would do your job as a OP and BOLD IMPORTANT stuff.

But you know what? there is not really anything new here so people have not much to talk about so who can blame them.
Stop derailing the thread, dude. Simple as that. If you wanna talk about MGS4, do it in your MGSV thread with your daily fan updates.

And my "job" here isn't to bold some certain quotes from the article. If you are not interested in Uncharted, the GR article, etc. then simply don't post here if you don't event want to read the article (or the OP).

Seems like that all you saw was the thread title and you automatically thought: "Somebody is attacking ma' Metal Gear!"

Did you just TL:DR the OP? Not cool man.

I do wish OP hadn't included the "biggest game" thing in the title since that will inevitably derail discussion.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they don't try to go full Lara Croft with Metroidvanilla elements and keep the game's identity. Can't wait to see a new demo for a large set piece or something.

reKon

Banned
I honestly think the replayability of Uncharted 4 is going to be off the charts based on what we're hearing. If ND has some extra time, it would be amazing if they could implement some of those game mods that were in Uncharted 2 (low grav, unlimited ammo, donut drake, etc). Using the low gravity mode allowed me to understand how good the draw distance was during the hotel level. When I was playing it, ended up blowing up a pot into pieces and kept using the dragon sniper to see if I could keep shooting one of the pieces further and further away while it was floating in the air. If this game ends up some how runnning at 60FPS, there's no way we're getting any of this though.

I'd also, love to see a horde style mode in Uncharted 4 online multiplayer. I wonder how much of this upgraded AI the PS4 could handle at once online. Maybe ND needs the "Power of the Cloud"

I honestly think the replayability of Uncharted 4 is going to be off the charts based on what we're hearing. If ND has some extra time, it would be amazing if they could implement some of those game mods that were in Uncharted 2 (low grav, unlimited ammo, donut drake, etc). Using the low gravity mode allowed me to understand how good the draw distance was during the hotel level. When I was playing it, ended up blowing up a pot into pieces and kept using the dragon sniper to see if I could keep shooting one of the pieces further and further away while it was floating in the air. If this game ends up some how runnning at 60FPS, there's no way we're getting any of this though.

I'd also, love to see a horde style mode in Uncharted 4 online multiplayer. I wonder how much of this upgraded AI the PS4 could handle at once online. Maybe ND needs the "Power of the Cloud"
Man, I hope so! The U2 MP was epic. UC3 MP not so much.
Can't wait to see what they have in store for U4.

fake edit.:
Donut Drake is imba :p

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
What else is there to this article?

Uh ... so it appears Nathan Drake sure can climb ... I hear. It's retreading a lot of things they have already said, so I can see why people gravitated towards rebutting the title of the article.

It's regurgitating many things that have been said already, but nevertheless the point is that this regurgitation instills confidence in the fan-base as far as what to expect from the game. It's giving us impressions, and whether or not they're been said already is not the point; the point is to be certain that these impressions are constant and do not change too dramatically up until release. So what really is the point of people getting their panties in a bunch over whether someone thinks this is going to be the biggest game of the year? In many ways, to many people, in some regards, this game will be the biggest. Who really gives a fuck about this subjective statement aside from those who take offense to it because their own preferred title may actually be a bigger game?

Regarding the game, I'm glad that the AI is becoming more sophisticated. That's what I care most about in games nowadays, especially after playing Alien Isolation as my first game on my PS4.

Watch people say the gameplay isn't Next Gen enough or some other stuff we been hearing this current gen.

Lack of gameplay innovation can be a genuine crticism without being anywhere near a deal breaker. And anyway, by the sound of it UC4 will play differently in some important aspects to previous games what with the lack of "golden path" when climbing and the more free form *pew pew pew*.

Ricky_R

I do that with all games. What can I say, I'm a walker.

I walked myself so I didn't even know L3 was disabled at times.

Yeah, that possibly happened to me as well.

prediction: uncharted 4 will be the most over-analyzed, hyper-critiqued video game ever released. & i'm really not looking forward to it (the analyzed/critiqued part, i mean - i'm definitely looking forward to the actual game itself :) )...

I love that UC's becoming more open like TLoU was. That openness allowed for multiple ways to get through an encounter, which gave combat a lot more variety I feel. Uncharted's weakest area has always been combat; it was never anywhere near bad, but it wasn't very varied. Everything about UC4 sounds amazing so far; I'm so hyped for this game!!!

prediction: uncharted 4 will be the most over-analyzed, hyper-critiqued video game ever released. & i'm really not looking forward to it (the analyzed/critiqued part, i mean - i'm definitely looking forward to the actual game itself :) )...

After the Amy Henning, E3 Trailer, PSX Gameplay, Game Informer Info and the 60fps threads. Oh yeah, GAF will bring no mercy to U4, that Review Thread is going to be crazy.

After the Amy Henning, E3 Trailer, PSX Gameplay, Game Informer Info and the 60fps threads. Oh yeah, GAF will bring no mercy to U4, that Review Thread is going to be crazy.

Hennig was in charge of UC3 and people claim it was bad(it was mostly great) so why would that be an issue? The demo was great too. The 60fps comments will haunt them, but won't be a big deal in the end.

Top Bottom