• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - The story behind the biggest game of the year

Uncharted 4 is Neogaf's most 'anticipated' game of year, but most people were tricked into voting because they were under the belief that it would be 60fps.

Naughty Dog have essentially come out to say that Uncharted 4 will be 30fps, and with this most of the hype has deflated. There should be a revote, because most fans have become disillusioned with Uncharted 4 now and I imagine at this point it is nearing flop status.

good post this

well said

Philippo

I've always enjoyed the combat in these games, but UC4 really is exciting because they're just expanding it even more. Levels with more vertical structure, improved traversal mechanics, and open areas that will allow for more dynamic encounters. If they pull it off, this is going to be special. I want some insane setpieces. I'd ask for snowboarding whilst shooting, but since that's a bit too cartoony, I'll settle for a big snow setpiece. Imagine incorporating something like an avalanche into a big gameplay sequence.

Well he already does that while sliding on his back in the PSX demo, it wouldn't be that crazy.
Not more than the airplane section in U3

Detective

I agree with all of this. And it's not just the whole frame rate debacle either - The Order: 1886 is out now and it looks way better graphically than Uncharted 4. How am I supposed to be excited for a game coming out this fall when it already looks severely underwhelming compared to what Ready at Dawn have achieved visually on the same platform? UC4 practically looks a generation behind visually.

Biggest game of the year my arse.

Because one of them is a game and the other is particularly a movie.

Looking forward to it yeah, But I agree that it's not the biggest game of the years.. My Arse twice.

They mention how Uncharted has evolved and that number 4 won't be very "Uncharted" any more.
I honestly think we have Tomb Raider 2013 to thank for that, since it improved on the Uncharted formula so impressively, and managed to actually be a better Uncharted than any of the Uncharteds are.

They mention how Uncharted has evolved and that number 4 won't be very "Uncharted" any more.
I honestly think we have Tomb Raider 2013 to thank for that, since it improved on the Uncharted formula so impressively, and managed to actually be a better Uncharted than any of the Uncharteds are.

Yeah i am going to heaviily disagree with that. Uncharted 2 is still far better then Tomb Raider.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yeah, I unfortunately didn't like Tomb Raider that much even though I'm a fan of the genre.

I think we have TLOU to thank more than anything else. They are essentially taking TLOU's open level design, AI, and stealth mechanics and injecting them into a beefed up Uncharted traversal.
I'm not suggesting that they are blind to what others are doing. But if your last two games you worked on were this well received by the enthusiast press, your peers and the enthusiast player base then you're probably on the influential side of the influantial-influenced continuum.

Wakka212

I think we have TLOU to thank more than anything else. They are essentially taking TLOU's open level design, AI, and stealth mechanics and injecting them into beefed-up Uncharted traversal.

The TR reboot was great, but imo Uncharted trumps it. Both go for two very different experiences though...

Well, you could make a list to make your case - I can make mine.

1. COD
2. Star Wars Battlefront
3.BF:Hardline
4. Metal Gear Solid V
5.Uncharted 4
6. Halo 5
7. Batman Arkham Knight
8. Witcher 3

(3-5 months allowed after release of course)
Considering TLOU outsold Battlefield 4 at last count, you are making some big assumptions there

Navy Bean

To me, Uncharted games have always been like great summer blockbusters. They're really fun, highly polished games that lack any depth and the shooting sucks. And that's fine with me - I just hope they tone down the bullet sponge waves of enemies which was the worst part of the previous games.

reKon

Banned
I don't know if the people agreeing with Chinner are trying to help him catch more people or if they're being serious...

Grewitch

It won't be the last. Abandon an IP at what might be it's highest point(commercially)? They might a do couple of other games(TLOU2, new IP) before revisiting it though.

I was just thinking that they stopped Jak and Daxter and moved on to Uncharted, although I have no idea how profitable that series was compared to Uncharted, so the possibility might exist. Maybe putting the series on hiatus might be more probable. Or do what Bethesda does, and alternate.

I wonder how much leeway they have with Sony if they decided to stop and and do a new IP all together, both teams working on something new?

I'm curious to see where the story goes with Uncharted 4. Not even Lucas and Spielberg could keep the quality consistent throughout the series. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the excitement.

Uncharted 4 is Neogaf's most 'anticipated' game of year, but most people were tricked into voting because they were under the belief that it would be 60fps.

Naughty Dog have essentially come out to say that Uncharted 4 will be 30fps, and with this most of the hype has deflated. There should be a revote, because most fans have become disillusioned with Uncharted 4 now and I imagine at this point it is nearing flop status.

fuck. you have a point.

there's a good chance now that this game won't be 60fps.

I was just thinking that they stopped Jak and Daxter and moved on to Uncharted, although I have no idea how profitable that series was compared to Uncharted, so the possibility might exist. Maybe putting the series on hiatus might be more probable. Or do what Bethesda does, and alternate.

The Jak series had dropped off in quality and in sales over the year. Uncharted has only continued to get more popular.

I wonder how much leeway they have with Sony if they decided to stop and and do a new IP all together, both teams working on something new?

They apparently have enough power to stop another Uncharted Vita from happening due to them not wanting the series to get to a burnout point due to too many games. I don't expect this to be the last Uncharted, but I do think it'll go on an extended break after this one. We know that they're already working on another large scale game, it's highly doubtful that it's going to be another Uncharted. And I doubt that Bruce and Neil will finish this and then start on another one. So, it'll be awhile before we see a new entry after this one.

The Jak series had dropped off in quality and in sales over the year. Uncharted has only continued to get more popular.

They apparently have enough power to stop another Uncharted Vita from happening due to them not wanting the series to get to a burnout point due to too many games. I don't expect this to be the last Uncharted, but I do think it'll go on an extended break after this one.

i don't doubt there will be more uncharted games, but this seems to be the last one with nathan drake as the protagonist.

Yes, she was.

Also, co-writer might be a little too generous. The ideas we know he presented forward didn't make it into the final game. I like Druckmann, I think he is talented/ good at what he does. The man deserves the acclaim for TLoU. That said I'm sick of hearing this retroactive rhetoric that somehow has Hennig unaffiliated with UC2. It really comes off disrespectful. People make it sound like she never worked on the game and that's just simply not true.

Uncharted2 won GOTY and she was on stage collecting the award from Jake Gylenhaal at the Spike VGA awards in 2009? She is the writer of the Uncharted trilogy, have people truly forgotten who worked on Uncharted 123?

I know it's way early, but I'm not too thrilled to hear that Elena apparently won't have much of a presence in the game. I'm sure it's going to be awesome anyway, I just love Elena.

I know it's way early, but I'm not too thrilled to hear that Elena apparently won't have much of a presence in the game. I'm sure it's going to be awesome anyway, I just love Elena.

ND haven't said that Elena won't have a presence. That's just the magazine speculating. They aren't talking about Elena, similarly to how they aren't talking about Sully. Right now it's mostly just about Drake and Sam. Nadine and Rafe are the only other two announced characters.

Servbot24

Banned

I am having a really hard time figuring out if this is sarcasm.

edit: Looking at your other posts, I think you're serious.

Since UC2 was 30fps and won GOTY that's evidence enough to prove you wrong. In fact the large majority of GAF GOTYs have been 30fps.

where exactly was it stated that she won't be a main character in Uc4?

Since UC2 was 30fps and won GOTY that's evidence enough to prove you wrong. In fact the large majority of GAF GOTYs have been 30fps.

except Uc2 never promised to be something more. Having 60fps in an uncharted game would've been amazing.

Since UC2 was 30fps and won GOTY that's evidence enough to prove you wrong.

Its Chinner. The other 2 however, no clue if they are serious or on the Chinner bait train.

DevilFox

Yes, she was.

Also, co-writer might be a little too generous. The ideas we know he presented forward didn't make it into the final game. I like Druckmann, I think he is talented/ good at what he does. The man deserves the acclaim for TLoU. That said I'm sick of hearing this retroactive rhetoric that somehow has Hennig unaffiliated with UC2. It really comes off disrespectful. People make it sound like she never worked on the game and that's just simply not true.

Right but I'd like to know exactly who did what. Honestly, I'm the first one to believe that Hennig is "overrated" but not because I'm biased, I just don't know what was her role. With Legacy of Kain she did such a great job but Jak and Daxter is.. damn, I can save the first but after that they lost a vision, I completely agree with Straley when he talks about these games in the interview for the 30th Anniversary. And then Uncharted, I credit her for the writing of the characters, the first game was also decent gameplay wise but at the same time I can't help but notice how much the game improved with Straley (and Druckmann, but mostly Straley) as Director and how much the game got worse in pace when these 2 guys were moved to TLOU (that guess what, it also has a great pace).
Pace, something someone nailed back with Uncharted 2 and was lost with Uncharted 3, why such a back step, what was the problem, deadline? Unforeseen?

You seem to like a lot ND, LastNac, do you have anything that could help? Interviews, articles..?

Corine

Most recent source I could find says 7 million

http://bf4central.com/2014/05/battlefield-4-sells-7-million-2-still-playing/

For TLOU it is 8 million

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...tered-sales-crosses-1-million-sold-worldwide/

Happy to admit I'm wrong if you have a source that shows BF4 far outselling 8 million

Well that's because you're using a year old link. The last I see(from that banned sales site) is it's over 12 million in sales without counting PC digital.

Lady Gaia

I certainly enjoyed the post more when I thought it might be sarcasm. It's almost to the point where having a 60FPS gaming community distinct from those who are willing to consider other factors in evaluating a game might make sense. I feel like I must be living in another world from some posters whose writing I feel gives lie to the "customer is always right" mantra. Not that I've ever believed it to begin with, but if I ever needed more proof...

I'm really looking forward to UC4 and trust ND will make the right tradeoffs. I see no need to micromanage their creative and technical output.

Grewitch

They apparently have enough power to stop another Uncharted Vita from happening due to them not wanting the series to get to a burnout point due to too many games. I don't expect this to be the last Uncharted, but I do think it'll go on an extended break after this one. We know that they're already working on another large scale game, it's highly doubtful that it's going to be another Uncharted. And I doubt that Bruce and Neil will finish this and then start on another one. So, it'll be awhile before we see a new entry after this one.

I can't dispute what you've just said. Sounds the most likely.

i don't doubt there will be more uncharted games, but this seems to be the last one with nathan drake as the protagonist.

I'm just throwing this out there, I think 'A Thief's End' might apply to his brother. Could be totally wrong. Could be Drake, could be Sully. But if it's his bro?

They introduce him. He's a jerk. He's got the Drake charm. He grows on you. You like him. He does something bad. He does something very good. Finds redemption and then - whamo! He get's taken out by Jason Statham (insert big bad), leads up to Uncharted 5: a renewed motivation for Nathan Drake.

None of this actually going to happen. But it's my theory

Or Elena dies, and the brothers Drake finally come together to get the bottom of the family mystery.

biggest game of the year?

This will not sell as well as Batman, COD, Halo 5, or Metal Gear. I doubt it will come to close to being the biggest in scale either. All of the Uncharted games can be beat in 8-10hrs. Less if you know the game well enough. While awesome, they're still very linear. I don't doubt that Uncharted 4 will be less linear than previous entries, but it won't be as open as some of the other games coming this year. If Fallout 4 is announced, it will likely release in October or November and instantly become(at the very least)a nominee for GOTY for gamers and critics alike.

reKon

Banned
To me, Uncharted games have always been like great summer blockbusters. They're really fun, highly polished games that lack any depth and the shooting sucks. And that's fine with me - I just hope they tone down the bullet sponge waves of enemies which was the worst part of the previous games.

The shooting is fine, especially in UC II. The bullet sponge wave issue I agree with.

Neither did UC4.

God, no GAF conversation is more grating than fucking frames.
yes they did...
EDIT: okay they didn't "promise" it but they certainly pushed the 60fps thing at first when the game was first talked about.
They promised?
they didn't promise it but the fact that they were targeting it in the first place made a lot of people excited of the fact.
I'm just throwing this out there, I think 'A Thief's End' might apply to his brother. Could be totally wrong. Could be Drake, could be Sully. But if it's his bro?

They introduce him. He's a jerk. He's got the Drake charm. He grows on you. You like him. He does something bad. He does something very good. Finds redemption and then - whamo! He get's taken out by Jason Statham (insert big bad), leads up to Uncharted 5: a renewed motivation for Nathan Drake.

None of this actually going to happen. But it's my theory

Or Elena dies, and the brothers Drake finally come together to get the bottom of the family mystery.
I have no idea. I was just talking about in the teaser how they kept saying "one last time" whether or not nate croaks, I think this'll be his last journey into the wilderness.

they certainly give Sam the "scumbag" type of look, and pretty much everybody is expecting him to turn on you at one point. Hell, they may not even be real brothers.

This will not sell as well as Batman, COD, Halo 5, or Metal Gear. I doubt it will come to close to being the biggest in scale either. All of the Uncharted games can be beat in 8-10hrs. Less if you know the game well enough. While awesome, they're still very linear. I don't doubt that Uncharted 4 will be less linear than previous entries, but it won't be as open as some of the other games coming this year. If Fallout 4 is announced, it will likely release in October or November and instantly become(at the very least)a nominee for GOTY for gamers and critics alike.
I guess Halo 5 will do wonders after Halo 4 and Halo:MCC right? I find it funny people thing Halo 5 will still sell gangbusters.

Servbot24

Banned

All those juicy impressions and this is the one thing people care about.

It's to the point where we prefer to talk about people who talk about games, rather than talk about games.

Top Bottom