• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 confirmed?

Here we go for the adam boyes confirmed...

wCMe6ol.png

WinFonda

Everyone is quick to lob disappointment when there's nothing of it to see. Once they release screens and trailers, many of those same people will be all over it like prawns to cat food.

Basically, but I'm not sure the people who say no more uncharted were ever uncharted fans to begin with. I want more The Last of Us and Uncharted, and I'm sure Naughty Dog does too.

Regardless, ND's game on PS4 is going to melt eyeballs.

Uncharted is a better series than TLOU, so I welcome this news.

There's plenty of room for improvement in the Uncharted series, so they can take this opportunity to change up the game a bit.

Pavaloo

Got a PS3 really late this generation and bought all the Uncharted games because of the praise the series gets, but I just don't get it. I begrudgingly beat the first two games and I don't think I'll even bother with the third. I know a lot of people talk about the shooting getting worse in UC3 so I can't talk in this regard, but a lot of the criticisms I hear about UC3 I have felt about the entire UC series.. (linear set piece to set piece, wave after wave of boring enemy encounters)

That being said, I really really enjoyed TLOU so maybe UC can take a few ques from it. The shooting definitely seems pretty tight in TLOU and the cover system is great. Not to mention the AI is a million times better too.

Yep Uncharted 4 is fine by me. Especially if they manage to release it in time for Christmas 2014.

Can't wait to see those next gen animations.

coldcrush

Neo Member
This is my take on it, TLOU was a bit of a risk for ND, before they released it they were not sure if people would buy into it and if it would be a commercial success, infact the game only ''came together' in the last 6 months of development and they knew it was going to be good,,, none the less good games don't always = good sales. luckily it paid off for them and they made a great game that sold well...

It takes years to make games, so business wise, I would expect the development of UC4 was well under way while TLOU was being finished, just incase The last of us did not sell well and they needed to return to the franchise that pays the bills and that people love and appreciate.
I think ND has the balls, skill and creative freedom to do new IP's,,,but
I just think that as a business decision they started development of UC4 before TLOU shipped as a security plan almost,
For this reason I would be surprised if UC4 was not the next game they release, now they know that their fan base will enjoy and buy into their other IP's I would expect new concepts to be green lit more easily in the studio, and TLOU core team could develop a new IP,,, so maybe after Uncharted 4 drops we will see something new,
this could be wrong, it is just my gut feeling.

Ricky_R

Awesome. It was pretty obvious that Uncharted was going to continue this gen, but it's exciting to know that it's been worked on.

Hope they keep this franchise alive for the remainder of this gen.

x-Lundz-x

Don't care if it's uncharted 4, tlou2, savage starlight, or anything else. Just please for the love of god give me dat next gen naughty god goodness.

Would love to see a new Uncharted but they need to change up the formula a bit, especially since after U3 Nate seemed ready to settle down.

Here are some ideas I have floating around:

Chapter 1 - You are playing as Nate and Elena's baby, crawling around their home. Your mission is to acquire the cookie jar on top of the counter. There is some basic platforming in the form of climbing drawers and such. Before you get to the jar, Nate stops you by picking you up and you get to interact with him.

Chapter 2,3,4 - Nate is kidnapped by a mysterious organization. You play as Elena and you have to go rescue him. There is more stealth involved because she's not as strong. Some parts involve platforming and then dropping onto enemies from above.

Chapter 5 - Nate and Elena escape by using a jet ski, because the jet ski section in Uncharted 1 was bad ass but they never used it again.

There's also a chapter where you go globe-trotting by actually flying an airplane around and you can see the scenery from up above.

That would be fine with me. I liked 2 of the 3 they've made so far. In fact I would rather they didn't go out on the one I didn't like.

Splint

Im not a fan of the Uncharted universe or the cover shooter mechanics. I dislike Nathan Drake. I'll probably skip the game then. I'll maybe be interested if it's about aliens or something.

This interests me. I liked Uncharted 1 and the one on PS Vita. Still need to play 2 + 3. This may sound weird but I hope the team make him shirtless this time.

lol it will never happen but if your that desperate ND did release the 3D model of Nate from U2.
EDIT: Beaten

Kallor

Uncharted is now nearly as big if not bigger than Gears back in 2006-2008. Of course Sony Isn't done with it.

Timu

Uncharted on the PS4 would make me crazy excited, I'd love to see how far ND can push it this early on. Glad I'm not the only one sick of all the bitching and crapping on sequels from high-tier developers, this gives me too much deja-vu back to the Retro outcry. (and honestly this situation is even more stupid when you consider TLOU just came out this year)

In regards to changes, I think Uncharted 2 almost had it perfect so I would like the team to look back at that. For instance, combat in Uncharted 3 got tedious at times due to the high volume of enemies that are bullet-sponges. I also thought the difficulty levels in Uncharted 3 were all over the place and "not fair" at times. Another issue I had was story, I actually love the premise of Uncharted 3's storyline but it was a little sloppy and could have used some refining. (Ex: Plot threads introduced only to never be addressed) Also they need to work on the pacing, I don't want to have several hours of shooting, do a single easy puzzle, and then have another several hours of shooting. Mix up the shooting/platforming/puzzle/adventure elements more so that the game feels more like an Indiana Jones style adventure rather than Gears of War. I would love to see more "open" elements of the game as well as some have desired, but at the same time I think the big setpieces should stay as they are in the series DNA.
Agreed with all this, Uncharted 3 could had been better.

Raonak

Banned
Dafuck is wrong with you people.

Why wouldn't you want to see a new refined nextgen uncharted experience? 1080p. dem graphics. dem gddr5 setpieces. faces will become molten.

Plus ND have two teams, so they'd still be working on something new.

PS4 really needs a big name system seller, and Uncharted is that game.

Heres how I see it working:
Team1: Uncharted
Team2: New IP
Team1: TLOU2
Team2: IP Sequel
Team1: New IP???

StoopKid

Dafuck is wrong with you people.

Why wouldn't you want to see a new refined nextgen uncharted experience? 1080p. dem graphics. dem gddr5 setpieces. faces will become molten.

Plus ND have two teams, so they'd still be working on something new.

PS4 really needs a big name system seller, and Uncharted is that game.

Heres how I see it working:
Team1: Uncharted
Team2: New IP
Team1: TLOU2
Team2: IP Sequel
Team1: New IP???
bua8ulp.gif

Kinda disappointing, but on the other hand, the power and ease of development the PS4 gives, should allow ND to truly evolve the series.

HardRojo

As long as they are working on something else on the side I'm completely fine with this, plus, they need Uncharted for the casual crowd, I can say this with confidence because many of my friends who only get a PlayStation to play the latest FIFA, PES and CoD also claim they thoroughly enjoyed Uncharted.

Squire

Banned
Uncharted 4 makes sense. I wasn't sure whether they'd go with that or a new IP, but I did always lean back to UC4 in my mind. Two new IPs in a row doesn't happen with AAA teams.

And that's fine. I want to play whatever game ND wants to make. We're also back in UC3 territory where rumors popped up and the game was indeed at the VGAs, so here we go, I guess!

Would certainly love another Uncharted.

I would be lying if I said UC3 didn't dull my excitement for the series a bit. Sure, it was still a great time (after the aiming patch... I made that GAF thread... go me!)... but it was pretty clearly rushed by ND's standards and simply could not measure up to Uncharted 2, which was a straight up masterpiece of the genre and the best single-player action game of that generation.

However, with the lessons learned from that, and some of the mechanics added in TLoU (and maybe a couple of cues from Tomb Raider), plus with new, easier-to-work-with hardware, I have full faith in ND's ability to hit another home run with their next Uncharted entry.

Of course, I would love a new IP too... but new IPs should be made organically, not because "oh, well, it's time for a new IP." TLoU is pretty inspired... the next IP should be too.

Squire

Banned
I really think the next one will be great. They upgraded their engine as opposed to building a new one, they know their characters; they've just had a lot of time and still do. I was sour on UC3, but I can't wait.

Top Bottom