• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 confirmed?

jgmo870

Banned
Why? One is releasing Q3, the other Q4 (as per Mort and other insiders), as of now. Both will get spotlight treatment from Sony as their Fall/Holiday games.

I think they're too similar in design (at least, I'm pretty sure RaD is going for a UC esque design) for gamers to be interested in both if they release so close to each other.

I just want something closer to Uncharted 2 and not 3.

Same, Uncharted 2 was pretty much the perfect linear third person shooter, it had just enough going on to make it not feel like a straight line and not too much that it felt unfocused, on top of that it had great encounters. Uncharted 3 was more like walk in a line to the next set piece.
That being said I do want Uncharted 4 to have a bit more exploration than Uncharted 2.

If they show it this year it will be out next year I think.

they showed Uncharted 3 during VGA 2010 for Fall 2011 release and have officially said they regret that. TLoU also have more than a year from initial reveal to finally being released.

Uncharted 4 showing during vga2013 does not mean it will be fall 2014 release.

I'm perfectly fine with a fourth entry in the Uncharted license. I like the characters and I'd gladly follow them in a new adventure. Bring it on Naughty Dog! Or something else. I don't really care at that point, they earnt my trust. The only thing I wouldn't be too excited for is a new Jak and Dexter, I just don't like that kind of universe (same with Ratchet & Clank).

Love Uncharted, enjoying Golden Abyss at the
moment but the gimmicky stuff with the screen almost ruins it in my opinion. Would be delighted with a PS4 Drake

tusken77

Please God be Uncharted,
best series this gen.

I need more Nate, Elena and Sully in my life.

More adventures of the crew. I'll drink to that.
tumblr_m3x9vxjULV1qe9lpso4_500.gif

Same, Uncharted 2 was pretty much the perfect linear third person shooter, it had just enough going on to make it not feel like a straight line and great encounters. Uncharted 3 was more like walk in a line to the next set piece.
That being said I do want Uncharted 4 to have a bit more exploration than Uncharted 2.

I need more Sully as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm certainly open to more Uncharted on a more powerful system. I hope they make some bold changes to it, though. Not because I think any part of it is particularly bad, but because 1, 2, and 3 are similar enough that we don't need a replication of that exact formula with better graphics. (Especially if they release Uncharted Trilogy SUPER HD REMASTER somewhere down the line.)

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I love the Uncharted series so I'd be happy with this and with Uncharted being such an iconic series for ND and Sony I can see why it'd be the first PS4 game they release.

I think they're too similar in design (at least, I'm pretty sure RaD is going for a UC esque design) for gamers to be interested in both if they release so close to each other.

eh, I don't even think The Order is gonna have any jumping and climbing. my gut instinct is The Order will be more like Resident Evil 4 with maybe some segment for 'investigation', whether the investigation segment is actual gameplay mechanic or just scripted cutscene we have no idea yet.

Sweep14

famousmortimer mentioned in his yesterday's podcast that he knows that Unchardted 4 is in the making.

Yes but he can't not confirm if it is ND making it...

IMHO Uncharted is outsourced

ND U3 team is probably on a new IP and TLOU team will start a new project after TLOU DLC is finished, if Neil druckman's tweet are to be believed

I never understood this complaint. Uncharted 2 NAILS the shooting imo.

Nails the shooting in that it's a passable method of killing enemies and doesn't get in the way? Sure.

Nails the shooting in that it's a satisfying way of killing enemies with exhilarating encounters, and animation and sound that make me hope combat never ends? Nope.

Uncharted has a ways to go to make combat engaging IMO and they actually regressed in UC3. The first step is to beef up gunplay significantly, the next step is to back off of wave based messy encounters with artificially difficult enemies.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
eh, I don't even think The Order is gonna have any jumping and climbing. my gut instinct is The Order will be more like Resident Evil 4 with maybe some segment for 'investigation', whether the investigation segment is actual gameplay mechanic or just scripted cutscene we have no idea yet.

That was my thinking as well, if they do climb however I reckon it'll probably just be a context sensitive button and they'll do it automatically. Anyway none of that matters, I just want the Order in my blood NOW.

kyser73

I'd like a new IP but ou know what? Another chapter of Nathan Drake's adventures with added PS4 goodness will open my wallet quicker than a pair of 36DDs in a lap dancing club.

Loakum

Banned
well the rumor out there is Naughty Dog is working on Uncharted IV. The trailer is suppose to be released during this year's VGAs, and the trailer is suppose to have a ship riding a giant tidal wave seen in the movie, "The Perfect Storm." Man, I hope this rumor turns out to be true.

I for one am happy. Uncharted 2 was one of the best games of the past generation and I can't wait to see what a next generation version looks like. Uncharted 3 wasn't a bad game by any stretch (the post crash desert level was breathtaking) but I think it started to take itself too seriously for a bit. One of the things that makes the series so appealing is that despite the fact that you mow down thousands of enemies and there are some serious moments, it is still a game that doesn't try and take itself too seriously. The settings are usually fresh and well done. Given we've seen Caribbean islands, South East Asian jungles, Himalayan mountains and Middle Eastern deserts, I'd really like to see the next one set in Africa.

To improve Uncharted, they should make it an actual exploration game with some shooting on the side, instead of a set piece shootbang game. If they want to keep the levels linear then at least go wide linear like Killzone: SF is doing.

This is what i expect after TLOU the levels will be bigger with more ways to explore and ways to handle combat .
With some big set pieces at the beginning and ending of certain chapters .
Plus with this being on next gen ND has whole bunch of new tech they can use to make things better .

Hazelhurst

My favorite franchise and most anticipated game for next gen. Hopefully we get a teaser at the Spike awards in December, a la Uncharted 2 debut back in December 2008.

Violater

Again what is this obsession with big open maps or worlds?
Those 2 things are two different things, also it was merely a suggestion as to how the series could further progress in addition to the series staple of chained together set pieces.
I never said that we all have to be in agreement with each other, you're free to think whatever the hell you want I'm not stopping you. However, how so many of the Naughty Dog threads concerning the Uncharted series end up evolving into now is getting tiring at this point and I was agreeing with Kev there on that particular topic.

Hey guess what, better the threads devolve into people talking about where they want the series to go, could be worst people could still be comparing Uncharted to other games in the same genre (there used to be a lot of that u know). I personally just want them to produce something to wow me much like U2 did and not disappoint like U3.

Spinluck

There will be so many classic moments to record in Uncharted 4 multiplayer if there is an Uncharted 4. Love the series.

KAL2006

Banned
I still don't think Naughty Dog are revealing this VGA's. I am still expecting Santa Monica game to be revealed. For 2 reasons, Sony can't have too many fall 2014 games at once. They also cannot have similar games releasing near the same time. Uncharted and The Order are similar when it comes to the cinematic story telling as well as both being TPS. Also lets not forget Stig's team hasn't made a game since GoW3, so it sould be further along than what Uncharted 3 team are doing. I honestly just expect launch event to have Epic Games new IP (multiplatform, with PS4 exclusive DLC) and gameplay reveal for The Order. Finally I expect Santa Monica's new IP to be revealed at VGA's which will be a action brawler similar to GoW. So the fall lineup for PS4 in 2014 will be The Order and Santa Monica new IP, perhaps if we're lucky Media Molecule new IP would get revealed at GDC. Uncharted 4 would get revealed next E3 for a April 2015 release.

So basically I expect announcements to be spread out like this

Launch Event
The Order Gameplay Trailer
Drive Club trailer
Epic New IP, from creators of Gears (multiplatform, exclusive DLC)

VGA
Santa Monica new IP

GDC
Media Molecule new IP

E3
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian

TGS
Demon's Souls 2

Gamescom
Guerilla Games new IP

yeah, I even like Uncharted 1 shooting, unlike other shooter at that time like resistance, gears, cod, where the primary weapon is mostly assault rifle type gun, uncharted primary weapon is handgun, less automatic weapon and give me the feeling that every bullet shot counts, you're encouraged to really aim for headshot to be more effective, and the enemy will try to duck and weave even when they see you pointing your gun at them, making the headshot more challenging, but also more satisfaction every time you get it.

I'm kind of tired of this argument playing out in every Uncharted thread. I'm up for them making some changes to the formula, but lots of people actually like Uncharted so the persistent whining over Naughty Dog working on their most successful series ever that is still on the upswing just seems bizarre to me. Give it a rest or don't play it (maybe better still).

I think it is perfectly fine to discuss what you want from a new Uncharted, but I'm getting sick of seeing people asking for new IP. You just got one. Why do they have to keep cranking out new IP? What kind of standard are we holding them to?

If Amy Hennig wants to make a new one, she should get to. And if you don't like that you can go into the woods and sit in a hole.

CK4zJYh.gif

prag16

Banned
Title is missing "SHOCKING NEWS".

Nobody seriously thought Uncharted would never be revisited again, right?

Hopefully they don't do three of them this gen though. If they do three games for PS4, I'm guessing Uncharted 4, TLoU 2, and something new.

SSReborn

People act as if Uncharted 4's mechanics can't be improved isn't that the point of a sequel? Yeah the shooting mechanics never really reached that "amazing" space. You had 2 with the bullets coming out randomly within the crosshair. Then you had 3 with the precise shots but had weird delay and recoil. Who's to say 4 can't fix all that? Uncharted already has some of the best navigation for a tps shooter and fun hand to hand combat if they nail the shooting than everything will be perfect imo.

On the subject of platforming I could personally care less about it seeing as I see it as a way of navigation for the shooting scenarios, not actual platforming which is why its simplistic. If I wanted a platformer I'd buy Ratchet and Clank.

As far as I'm concerned ND should make one last Uncharted and retire the series if they want after that.

Derrick01

Banned

The best that series gets as far as 3rd person shooting goes is average. Most of the time it's teetering on horrible and will get you killed as the enemies with their 90% accuracy take you down in 3 shots (but of course they need about 7 unless you get a headshot). It's just not a good aiming system compared to most games, maybe because they're trying to convey the "drake isn't a trained soldier" message through gameplay, but I find that frustrating more than realistic.

Hey guess what, better the threads devolve into people talking about where they want the series to go, could be worst people could still be comparing Uncharted to other games in the same genre (there used to be a lot of that u know). I personally just want them to produce something to wow me much like U2 did and not disappoint like U3.

I have no problem with people talking about where they want the series to go but that is not what some of them do .
They come into thread saying they want a new IP instead and they already got one .

I still don't think Naughty Dog are revealing this VGA's. I am still expecting Santa Monica game to be revealed. For 2 reasons, Sony can't have too many fall 2014 games at once. They also cannot have similar games releasing near the same time. Uncharted and The Order are similar when it comes to the cinematic story telling as well as both being TPS. Also lets not forget Stig's team hasn't made a game since GoW3, so it sould be further along than what Uncharted 3 team are doing. I honestly just expect launch event to have Epic Games new IP (multiplatform, with PS4 exclusive DLC) and gameplay reveal for The Order. Finally I expect Santa Monica's new IP to be revealed at VGA's which will be a action brawler similar to GoW. So the fall lineup for PS4 in 2014 will be The Order and Santa Monica new IP, perhaps if we're lucky Media Molecule new IP would get revealed at GDC. Uncharted 4 would get revealed next E3 for a April 2015 release.

Launch Event
Drive Club trailer

VGA
Santa Monica new IP

GDC
Media Molecule new IP

E3
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian

TGS
Demon's Souls 2

Gamescom
Guerilla Games new IP

I think this makes a LOT of sense. I still expect to see something of Uncharted 4 before next E3. I'm leaning towards a Halo 5 style CG teaser. It is too important a franchise for SCE to not have out there. Look at how Microsoft managed to get some hype for the Xbox One by just showing a short CG trailer for a Halo game. Uncharted is a similar tentpole franchise that Sony will use to generate hype when needed (there's a big gap between Infamous and The Order).

As for the new Epic IP I agree it will almost certainly be on the Xbox One too. Just don't expect confirmation that it is multiplatform till much, much later.

Launch Event
Drive Club trailer

VGA
Santa Monica new IP

GDC
Media Molecule new IP

E3
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian

TGS
Demon's Souls 2

Gamescom
Guerilla Games new IP

Mort has heard about Demons Souls 2 announcement since during E3, at the time, Sony is debating whether to show it for E3, Gamescom, TGS, or PS4 launch event, that kinda make it sounds like the game is actually further along than we thought. I don't think they'll wait until TGS next year to reveal them.

probably E3 next year

I'm kind of tired of this argument playing out in every Uncharted thread. I'm up for them making some changes to the formula, but lots of people actually like Uncharted so the persistent whining over Naughty Dog working on their most successful series ever that is still on the upswing just seems bizarre to me. Give it a rest or don't play it (maybe better still).

I think it is perfectly fine to discuss what you want from a new Uncharted, but I'm getting sick of seeing people asking for new IP. You just got one. Why do they have to keep cranking out new IP? What kind of standard are we holding them to?

If Amy Hennig wants to make a new one, she should get to. And if you don't like that you can go into the woods and sit in a hole.
Thank you sir

Mort has heard about Demons Souls 2 announcement since during E3, at the time, Sony is debating whether to show it for E3, Gamescom, TGS, or PS4 launch event, that kinda make it sounds like the game is actually further along than we thought. I don't think they'll wait until TGS next year to reveal them.

probably E3 next year

You're not going to see Demon Souls 2 before they release Deep Down. Too many similarities and Sony wouldn't want to torpedo a third party exclusive.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I still don't think Naughty Dog are revealing this VGA's.
Disagree. They've made the VGAs somewhat of a tradition now. Even if they announce it now it won't necessarily mean it has to come out next Christmas.

The reason they're going a PlayStation event is probably because they want to show so many games and they couldn't do it all at the VGAs.

Hazelhurst

they showed Uncharted 3 during VGA 2010 for Fall 2011 release and have officially said they regret that. TLoU also have more than a year from initial reveal to finally being released.

Uncharted 4 showing during vga2013 does not mean it will be fall 2014 release.

Uncharted 2 also premiered at the Spike VGAs in 2008 and then launched in Fall of 2009. It's almost a tradition now. If we get the premiere trailer at the 2013 Spike VGAs, we could possibly see Uncharted 4 for Fall 2014.

Top Bottom