• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 delayed to Spring 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy...

Look, March is always the end of a quarter. No matter if you look at fiscal or calender years, end of March is always the end of a quarter...

Hence my reaction to the post saying he "believes" end of March is the end of a quarter. But apparently that ia not as well known as I thought.
Oh. So you were just being a wise-ass when we were obviously talking about fiscal years and not calendar years. Congrats internet warrior. Gold star for you.

Sure and I truely didn't mean to be rude but the concept of quarters is actually the same for fiscal and calender years so it really is straight forward.

That's fair, I used to assume that but I thought I'd seen instances where a company's fiscal year ended in the new year/spring and not in December. I wasn't sure which is why I used the phrasing that I did.

Copenap

Oh. So you were just being a wise-ass when we were obviously talking about fiscal years and not calendar years. Congrats internet warrior. Gold star for you.
Huh? Doesn't change a thing. Quarters still remain the same, depending on the fiscal year it might be the 4th instead of the 1st but still the end of a quarter.

That's fair, I used to assume that but I thought I'd seen instances where a company's fiscal year ended in the new year/spring and not in December. I wasn't sure which is why I used the phrasing that I did.
Depending on the country the fiscal year can deviate from the calender year but the end and start of quarters remain the same, it's just the order that can change (see above).

Salz01

I'm kind of irritated. I mean they have been hyping uncharted since the ps4 launch party. Which feels like forever ago. It's hard to look forward to anything these days for the fear of it being delayed.

Xemnas89

Well I can't really complain about this. If they feel they need more time to make it as good as they can then they should absolutely take it.

antitrop

For the players, game delays are almost always a good thing. The only one it's a real shame for is the publisher, for having to readjust their Holiday earnings projections accordingly.

We're just going to get a better video game, is all.

jackdoe

For the players, game delays are almost always a good thing. The only one it's a real shame for is the publisher, for having to readjust their Holiday earnings projections accordingly.

The way Druckmann is describing it, the delay is all about avoiding an Uncharted 3 situation where setpiece to setpiece transitions make no sense.

Yep, exactly. The only people who need to worry about how Sony will sell systems this holiday is Sony.

No reason for us to care about the NPD battle. And if one game being pushed back a few months has turned your PS4 into a brick for 2015, I'm not sure what to say.

Good. Better to take their time and do it right.

And, really, from a personal standpoint my backlog is so ridiculous on multiple systems that I honestly look at delays of games I'm looking forward to as a temporary reprieve on my time and wallet. I get the sense I'm not alone in this feeling. I dont know if I'd say the market is saturated with games per se' since new gen has had a slow go of it with a rash of remasters and rush jobs, but there's a LOT to play if you're catching up on last gen and/or PC. Certainly more than I have time for in any given week or month.

So, yeah, I'm more than ok with this delay. Make it amazing and get it to us when its truly done.

nampad

Seems like nearly every big Sony title gets delayed this gen so far.
Crystal Dynamics and Microsoft are probably quite happy about the delay.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I assume PS4 is going to win the top spot for holidays WW. It wouldn't even surprise me if it took the top spot for Holidays NPD. I was mostly responding to the "3 times as much", which in hindsight might have just been a figure of speech.

Well, it's true that Halo 4 didn't make Halo 3 numbers (both in sales and online players, etc) but I'd wait for Halo 5 before officially declaring that the series peaked at 3. I could be wrong, of course, but as I've said before, Microsoft has never failed to push Halo as an entertainment event of great magnitude. I see no reason to think it'll be different this time.

edit: I guess Halo 5 should prove whether it was really Bungie that made Halo what it was, not the Microsoft Marketing Machine. It'll be interesting.

The problem for MS is they practically have to give the thing away during the holiday period, for them to 'win' November and December but then they're losing the other 10 months, so all those crazy holiday deals are ultimately futile.

As for Halo, the FPS genre hadn't become so over-saturated on the console side when 2 and 3 came out. At some point series fatigue has to kick in, given the number of titles released under that name the last 6-7 years. It will move consoles, but to what degree I can't say, probably not as much as MS hopes or those generally rooting for xbox to succeed. I doubt it moves the needle enough for Sony to be concerned and really, releasing a ps4 slim at $299 or even $349 in time for xmas 2015 will knock some of the wind out of Halo 5.

Hopefully they use the time to put up a public alpha/beta/both for any strong online components. Something to help avoid the issues that plague so many game launches, and especially the super hyped ones.

It's ok. I wonder what the guys at Crystal Dynamics are thinking right now when suddenly their biggest rival went away and they're stuck with a timed deal with Microsoft. Worst thing to happen would be that Tomb Raider is released on PS4 at the same time as UC4 is getting out.

Maybe that's the revenge Sony is taking against them, who knows? "Well, you kind of pissed on our ankles, so try to sell your game at the same time when our biggest game is being released. Tough luck." :)

The problem for MS is they practically have to give the thing away during the holiday period, for them to 'win' November and December but then they're losing the other 10 months, so all those crazy holiday deals are ultimately futile.

As for Halo, the FPS genre hadn't become so over-saturated on the console side when 2 and 3 came out. At some point series fatigue has to kick in, given the number of titles released under that name the last 6-7 years. It will move consoles, but to what degree I can't say, probably not as much as MS hopes or those generally rooting for xbox to succeed. I doubt it moves the needle enough for Sony to be concerned and really, releasing a ps4 slim at $299 or even $349 in time for xmas 2015 will knock some of the wind out of Halo 5.

Seems a bit early for a PS4 slim. Do we have anything approaching confirmation that a slim design is coming so soon? A price drop/bundle on the current design, perhaps with a couple minor tweaks, would most likely be good enough. Otherwise, I agree with your general analysis. No doubt Halo 5 will move consoles but the question is how much. And, of the 2 consoles I'd say MS is the one that needs a slim design to really reinvigorate sales. They need to cut the size of the thing down by a third at least.

join us
iP836RpuSgFa7.gif

I thought you didn't like heavy post-processing. That IQ is shit.

Meanwhile over at the Quantum Break delay thread ...

Take your time. Too many other titles to play this year.

Seems a bit early for a PS4 slim. Do we have anything approaching confirmation that a slim design is coming so soon? Otherwise, I agree with your general analysis. No doubt Halo 5 will move consoles but the question is how much. And, of the 2 consoles I'd say MS is the one that needs a slim design to really reinvigorate sales. They need to cut the size of the thing down by a third at least.

We have some leaks and rumors: http://gamerant.com/ps4-slim-leaked-design/

Raonak

Banned
Better that than an Uncharted 3 rushed situation.

still dissapointing. :'(

Wonder what this means about sony's holiday lineup? Surely they can't have another holiday 2014 situation?

arevin01

Sony hq must really be disappointed ND couldn't make the holiday deadline Perhaps they saw how bad the Order was received and decided to change up some gameplay.

I didn't expect it this Xmas, not fully confident of Spring 2016. There full of shit. If it does, then it wouldn't surprise me if they release Morpheus at Xmas 2016 instead of 1st half of year as they stated.

The success of ps4 is leading Sony to drag this gen further than what they expected imo. Personally, I'm ok as long as great games come. Add Morpheus to the mix and it's even better (I hope!).

Wouldn't be surprised if there is no reason for the delay other than the following, in part or in full:-

- Uncharted Trilogy Remaster to be released this Xmas.
- Sony keeping 3rd party support sweet for the yearly bullshit titles and probably new DLC for GTA

So yay, MORE yearly bullshit game releases (Far Cry, Assassins Creed, Fifa, COD) to look forward to this Xmas (will people EVER get tired of this shit?) I just pray to god this year's e3 is less cocksucking of these said games by Sony.

HOWEVER, give me the following before the year's end and hopefully they'll be great and I'll be more than happy :) (looking to get Bloodborne in a couple of weeks and The Order 1886, when cheap as well as here's hoping the new Zelda finally delivers) :-

No Man's Sky
The Witness*
The Tomorrow Children*
Until Dawn*
Tearaway
MGS5
The Witcher (quality of port dependent)
Galak-Z (where is this?)

Plus (wishful thinking):-
Rime
Everybody's Gone To The Rapture
The Last Guardian!!!

(sure there are some others too)

And I'll be buzzing me tits off :-0

*price dependent for me personally.

wmlk

SE lost hard with this one.

There goes your big gap on PS4, and now when Tomb Raider is predicted to release on PS4, U4's gonna release.

SE lost hard with this one.

There goes your big gap on PS4, and now when Tomb Raider is predicted to release on PS4, U4's gonna release.

Nah, I'm thinking TR will hit closer to the summer while Uncharted will probably fall in March. There should be enough separation there but I do wonder how many people will feel the need to play TR after playing Uncharted 4, assuming it turns out as well as other ND games.

Well, I think this will be better choice for them. Even though the game looks good, I don't it would have the chance to stand against so many great games that will be out this year. U4 could have been buried under the GOTY winners AKA Arkham Knight, Phantom Pain, Bloodborne, etc.

Seems a bit early for a PS4 slim. Do we have anything approaching confirmation that a slim design is coming so soon? A price drop/bundle on the current design, perhaps with a couple minor tweaks, would most likely be good enough. Otherwise, I agree with your general analysis. No doubt Halo 5 will move consoles but the question is how much. And, of the 2 consoles I'd say MS is the one that needs a slim design to really reinvigorate sales. They need to cut the size of the thing down by a third at least.

The ps3 slim came out in 2009, so like 3 years after the original launch. If that's anything to go on, yeah we may not see ps4 slim till next year. Holiday 2015 may be make it or break it for MS, that will be the third holiday season for xbox one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom