• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 delayed to Spring 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemondish

After thinking on it a bit, I'm totally cool with a delay if it means avoiding a rush job and achieving their best work.

I won't say I'm concerned, because there are certainly a whole ton of upcoming titles I'll be swamped with until October, but fall does look a whole lot less interesting to me now. I may have to pick up something I would have otherwise never touched to bide my time until Spring 2016. A game like Persona 5 - if only to get in on something everyone seems excited for despite it not looking interesting in any way. Or maybe it'll be worth it to jump on an X1 and catch up on the exclusives there - if the price is right. U4 was my most anticipated game this early in the gen and its absence this year will be missed. Hopefully Sony breaks from tradition and announces a whole ton of Fall titles at E3.

I think people are overselling the power of Halo 5.

With Destiny capturing the mass market crowd and the One owners getting burned out from MCC... not to mention all the other shooters around....

It just feels like Halo 5 is launching into a market of fatigue unless it proves to be really disruptive.... and it totally could be..

Agreed. And with all the reports of many 360-only owners migrating to ps4, considering the xbox brand and Halo are linked, to me it suggests that many people aren't *that* enamored( at least nowadays) with the franchise that they're unwilling to abandon ship and hop over to a competing platform. Speaking anecdotally, I was BIG into Halo 1/2/3 when they launched, but after Reach, Wars, Halo 1 remake all within 5 years of each other...... Halo 4 has been sitting in my backlog for 2 years. It's reached 'meh, whenever I get to it status'. It's certainly not a franchise I'd race out and buy an xbox for, but again that's just me.

It doesn't help that xbone exclusives are popping up on PC, that MS is tying PC and xbox gaming together through Windows 10, and that many people seem to be going the PC gaming route nowadays. Having a PS4 and XBox system, unless you MUST have all exclusives and don't want to get into PC gaming, seems somewhat redundant.

christmas '15 was a pipe dream, a fantasy we happily nodded to while secretly disavowing every word.
I don't see how this was a dream. Under normal circumstances, they should have had it ready. They made each Uncharted game 2 years away from one another. TLOU 2.5 years to the end of 2015. They've had another (smaller) team work on U4 since 2011, 4 years ago. The only reason I can think of that this is taking so long is that the changes Bruce and Straley made to the script were significant enough to warrant changes to push the date.

This is really disappointing for me. Almost every game excluding launch games is getting pushed back from Sony.

jelly

Agreed. And with all the reports of many 360-only owners migrating to ps4, considering the xbox brand and Halo are linked, to me it suggests that many people aren't *that* enamored( at least nowadays) with the franchise that they're unwilling to abandon ship and hop over to a competing platform. Speaking anecdotally, I was BIG into Halo 1/2/3 when they launched, but after Reach, Wars, Halo 1 remake all within 5 years of each other...... Halo 4 has been sitting in my backlog for 2 years. It's reached 'meh, whenever I get to it status'. It's certainly not a franchise I'd race out and buy an xbox for, but again that's just me.

It doesn't help that xbone exclusives are popping up on PC, that MS is tying PC and xbox gaming together through Windows 10, and that many people seem to be going the PC gaming route nowadays. Having a PS4 and XBox system, unless you MUST have all exclusives and don't want to get into PC gaming, seems somewhat redundant.

Good chance Force Awakens hype with Star Wars Battlefront is going kneecap Halo 5, maybe even COD that is losing steam every year. Xbox owners will still line up for Halo but the mega hype of Halo 2, 3 is long gone. A single player and BTB blow out could get me hyped 343.

Good chance Force Awakens hype with Star Wars Battlefront is going kneecap Halo 5, maybe even COD that is losing steam every year. Xbox owners will still line up for Halo but the mega hype of Halo 2, 3 is long gone. A single player and BTB blow out could get me hyped 343.
They really need to get it out in September so they get some breathing room before Battlefront CoD come out.

Yes, this is what I was saying before, the peak/popularity of the franchise was between 2 and 3. Nowadays on the console side there are several competent FPS games out,( and some generic me-to shooters) but overall yes a well-done Battlefront game would likely take the steam out of Halo.

Cavalier

Banned
Bloodeborne? Dude come on!

Are you kidding me?

That is a niche title compared to Uncharted.

How the hell did Sony allow this to happen?

Considering the fact that all of the PS4 AAA exclusives have been getting poor grades, Sony is banking on this game BIG time to redeem themselves.

It was a smart move by Sony to do this.

Considering the fact that all of the PS4 AAA exclusives have been getting poor grades, Sony is banking on this game BIG time to redeem themselves.

inFAMOUS Second Son has a good score(80). LBP3 does as well(79). Bloodborne should be the first masterpiece though not including The Last Of Us Remastered.

Curufinwe

I don't see how this was a dream. Under normal circumstances, they should have had it ready. They made each Uncharted game 2 years away from one another. TLOU 2.5 years to the end of 2015. They've had another (smaller) team work on U4 since 2011, 4 years ago. The only reason I can think of that this is taking so long is that the changes Bruce and Straley made to the script were significant enough to warrant changes to push the date.

Tech issues working on a new console are much more likely to have caused the delay than script changes.

TomRL

Banned
It seems like the PS4 wasn't as easy a ride as they had hoped. Visuals downgraded from E3, 60fps to 30fps and now this delay. It's a bit of a shame.

Servbot24

Banned

Sony and Microsoft both have only 1 exclusive new gen AAA game that was well reviewed. Infamous and Sunset Overdrive.

Lemondish

This is really disappointing for me. Almost every game excluding launch games is getting pushed back from Sony.

Or, you know, a generational leap onto completely new and mostly foreign hardware.

Why wouldn't it be?

Wouldn't it be wiser to star ramping up the hype a few months before release?
I guess Uncharted is a big enough franchise for that not to matter. And this will most likely be their last E3, so they will probably go all out on the conference.

Harmen

What kind of presence will Naughty Dog have on E3 now?
Is it wise to show a big set piece moment 9 months before release?

It is. Many people buy a console on the promise/expectation for great upcoming games, not just whats in store right now. So for Sony it is crucial to show this to potential buyers. Especially since there will probably a gap in their exclusive line-up now. A glimpse of a bright future cannot be a bad thing (unless it is like GT5, TLG etc. But ND will not do that).

And ND will have the PS experience (said to be annual, right?) to start the final hype streak. Also maybe a MP beta or demo eventually.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It does not mean that.

It does mean a better designed game.

I really wish we lived in an age where people looked forward to design improvements rather than frame rate improvements.

But it's much harder to argue about design than framerate on the internet, which is, of course, what we all live for.

I'd rather ND lock it at 30 and beef up the visuals. I had zero problems playing Uncharted at 30fps.
I don't think visuals were ever an obstacle for ND. That doesn't sound like a reason for them to delay the game imo. But they did say getting the game to be 60fps was really fucking hard, without ever actually saying that they gave up trying.

Uc4 at 30fps is fine, but 60fps would be a great welcome addition. I'd love to play this uncharted game with that smoothness.

Majanew

Banned
I don't think visuals were ever an obstacle for ND. That doesn't sound like a reason for them to delay the game imo. But they did say getting the game to be 60fps was really fucking hard, without ever actually saying that they gave up trying.

Uc4 at 30fps is fine, but 60fps would be a great welcome addition. I'd love to play this uncharted game with that smoothness.

The visuals they're wanting at 60fps is an obstacle for them. That's why they said that.
No telling why the game was delayed unless they say. Could have been to work on multiplayer.

Cavalier

Banned
Sony and Microsoft both have only 1 exclusive new gen AAA game that was well reviewed. Infamous and Sunset Overdrive.

Not quite. Forza Horizon 2 is a great one as well.

And if we're talking console exclusives, X1 is just way ahead of PS4 at this point. I do understand that Sony doesn't need to try as hard due to the fact that their system is selling like hotcakes. However, I still want to buy a PS4 sometime later and this delay is not helping at all.

Hermii

I'd rather ND lock it at 30 and beef up the visuals. I had zero problems playing Uncharted at 30fps.
I had zero problems with the visuals, resolution or framerate of the previous games either. but if I could improve one of them I would go with fps.

I am sure the game will be great regardless.

Nafai1123

Banned

And if we're talking console exclusives, X1 is just way ahead of PS4 at this point. I do understand that Sony doesn't need to try as hard due to the fact that their system is selling like hotcakes. However, I still want to buy a PS4 sometime later and this delay is not helping at all.

If we're talking console exclusives, from a purely subjective point of view the PS4 has WAY more exclusives than the XB1. You can claim that the XB1 objectively has better exclusives, but you can't claim they are "way ahead" when that is factually wrong.

I really don't understand that seemingly widespread narrative of Xbox exclusives being 'way ahead' of PS4 ones. Does that change now in two weeks with the release of Bloodborne (if it's well-received)? And what about in the summer when Tearaway is released? Not to mention all other games coming this year, like Rime and the Tomorrow Children.

As it is, both systems have only a few exclusives that are worth playing, and Uncharted 4 being delayed a few months doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things. If that one particular game was going to be the reason you buy a PS4, then it'll just be offset apparently by a short period of time.

Also, it's not a matter of not 'trying hard' for the studios. Do you think that if ND tried harder, then their game would be released sooner? Come on, now.

Xbox is way ahead on console exclusives? MLB The Show, Final Fantasy XIV, Guilty Gear, LBP3, Transistor...

Seems like some good to great PS4 games are being ignored for reasons.

On another note Forza Horizon 2 is a cross-gen game but I constantly see it counted as a nexclusive. Same for Titanfall, which is on 3 systems.

The visuals they're wanting at 60fps is an obstacle for them. That's why they said that.
No telling why the game was delayed unless they say. Could have been to work on multiplayer.
word. we probably won't ever know the specific reason for the delay unless of course they tell us. what I'm saying though is that they also never said they're sticking with 30fps. but maybe they're confident in pulling off 60fps the way they want to, but just need the extra time for it.

Chobel

Complacent Sony, amiright?

The Xbox One is not way ahead, actually it's not ahead really. If we compare both, then both pretty much have the same number of exclusives, i would even say that PS4 beats the One for indies. They both are comparable imo but then again, it all depends on your tastes etc.

Cavalier

Banned
I really don't understand that seemingly widespread narrative of Xbox exclusives being 'way ahead' of PS4 ones. Does that change now in two weeks with the release of Bloodborne (if it's well-received)? And what about in the summer when Tearaway is released? Not to mention all other games coming this year, like Rime and the Tomorrow Children.

As it is, both systems have only a few exclusives that are worth playing, and Uncharted 4 being delayed a few months doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things. If that one particular game was going to be the reason you buy a PS4, then it'll just be offset apparently by a short period of time.

Also, it's not a matter of not 'trying hard' for the studios. Do you think that if ND tried harder, then their game would be released sooner? Come on, now.

Very good point on first paragraph. However, what you mentioned are very niche titles. Even though they will get great ratings, their impact will be low compare to AAA titles such as Uncharted 4.

If we're comparing Xbox One and PS4's console exclusives, Xbox One has way more as far as AAA titles go. There's no need to argue about it or sugar coat it. It is what it is for now until Sony releases better AAA exclusive titles.

Sony should've delayed The Order 1886 again until this holiday season to make sure the game was fully developed on the gameplay side. Instead, the game seems very bare bone with little to offer other than graphics. Sony should've delayed DriveClub again to make sure the online component that they tried so hard to advertise as its main strength work 100%. Instead, it fell flat on its face. Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack? We all know what happen to those.

Cross gen.

Xbox One version is the complete version. They're not the same.

Very good point on first paragraph. However, what you mentioned are very niche titles. Even though they will get great ratings, their impact will be low compare to AAA titles such as Uncharted 4.

If we're comparing Xbox One and PS4's console exclusives, Xbox One has way more as far as AAA titles go. There's no need to argue about it or sugar coat it. It is what it is for now until Sony releases better AAA exclusive titles.

Sony should've delayed The Order 1886 again until this holiday season to make sure the game was fully developed on the gameplay side. Instead, the game seems very bare bone with little to offer other than graphics. Sony should've delayed DriveClub again to make sure the online component that they tried so hard to advertise as its main strength work 100%. Instead, it fell flat on its face. Killzone Shadow Fall and Knack? We all know what happen to those.

Xbox One version is the complete version. They're not the same.

Still cross-gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom