• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

i-Lo

The Devil is in the details. As such, there are major key improvements above and beyond the obvious incomplete graphical upgrades. Just to point to one would the upgraded interactive animations.

Also, I can see how the PS4 can render those E3 visuals real time w/o a shadow of doubt. In cutscene all the elements are accounted for and so whilst not prebaked the lack of unknown variables allow the engine to be pushed to max capabilities at a given framerate.

As of now, LoD shifts and lighting need some work but it's a pre-alpha at best atm. The lighting in general looks a notch above anything I have seen on consoles thus far barring The Order 1886. Also, being cognizant of the fact that the visuals would look far crisper if it was not severely compressed helps; the IQ looks astounding regardless.

After all is said and done, the game looks phenomenal and I'm keen to find out about his older brother.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Uncharted looks great. Above and beyond other great looking games? No.
Other great looking games on consoles always have some kind of compromise that this game doesn't. For example:
- The Order: Much more linear (most likely) and runs at a close equivalent of 900p
- AC:U: 900p, trash image quality (worse than any other 900p game) much worse framerate
- FC4 is 1080p/30, but let's not kid ourselves, it just doesn't look as good as this.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Wet and night settings is an old trick to make things look more impressive by obscuring detail. It's very, very close if not identical.

I don't think so. The hair is massively different and the geometry of his face is simpler, despite the texture being pretty close.

I never deluded myself into thinking that the tech demo was representative of what the actual game would look like, so I'm not disappointed, really, but the differences are extremely clear to me.

Lol, it looks horrible. Really, Last of Us looks much better then this.

You might need to take a closer look at The Last of Us.

lBXkdbf.jpg

The hair is the biggest downgrade in those shots. It's amazing on the left and videogamey on the right. It's not a TOD or lighting difference either

The in game model is still mightily impressive, but clearly not the same as the cutscene on the left

The lighting is baked. Period. Nothing special there.

Textures are higher res than previous UC games.. but that doesn't mean they are higher res than textures currently out on the PS4. Make a claim.. and make sure it's actual gameplay.

Foliage is great! No doubt about that. But FC4 has more impressive foilage. And TR has good foliage too. Finally, foliage doesn't make an entire game be better looking than it's competitors. That's just silly thinking.

Yo, what you're pointing out still doesn't rationalize how Tomb Raider is a better looking or more technically proficient game. I understand being wary of this game's look but don't forget what Tomb Raider actually looked like when you're claiming to be scrutinizing. The texture-work here shouldn't be ignored. It really does look like a cut above at least what I had noticed in Tomb Raider (which I played to completion on PS4 after skipping it last generation). And not all lighting in a scene is baked. I'm not just referring to the atmospheric lighting.

Lol, it looks horrible. Really, Last of Us looks much better then this.

What?

What?

lmao, I'll just come right out and say that's bullshit.

This place is gonna read like circus music before the end of the day. Have fun in here y'all

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, this is true. Most of the time you play the game runs mid twenties, The areas where it bogs down for me is when you have big crowd and a lot of enemy AI or in multiplayer.

That's not "running well." Constantly in the mid20s is garbage. The game is also 900p.

belmonkey

I want to watch, but currently doing work with a group. Is it really 30 FPS, or unlocked, or what? The pics in the first post didn't look so hot.

From the posts I think the only way ND could have avoided the backlash was to specifically make a demo sequence that started right after the reveal so people wouldn't claim downgrade. As of right now I think the game looks great as is, and I'm loving the openness and changes to the gameplay, though I want to see some night time footage.

martino

the real news is the game seems to up the things where it matters : the actual game(and game design)..
That was unexcepted (for me)

3bdelilah

Banned

If there really were people who expected Uncharted 4 to look like the in-engine footage, they absolutely deserve to feel let-down. That's fucking stupid. As much as Naughty Dogs are graphics kings, there is NO way they could make it exactly like the in-engine footage, it unreal.

But even if you didn't expect that in-engine footage, I can believe some people feeling let down, like the Zelda U gameplay earlier today. It's still work in progress, both games are being heavily developed as we speak right now, I have no doubts Nintendo and Naughty Dog are going to deliver stellar games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That a bit of a silly comparison being that both shots are taken from two completely different times of day and the one shot lacks any wet surfaces on drakes model.

If you really try to spot the differences, they are clear. Less detailed facial geometry, lower quality hair.

People aren't going to get away with "time of day!" as an explanation for the difference this time.

Vitor711

The lighting is baked. Period. Nothing special there.

Textures are higher res than previous UC games.. but that doesn't mean they are higher res than textures currently out on the PS4. Make a claim.. and make sure it's actual gameplay.

Foliage is great! No doubt about that. But FC4 has more impressive foilage. And TR has good foliage too. Finally, foliage doesn't make an entire game be better looking than it's competitors. That's just silly thinking.

I'm playing FC4 maxed out on a PC at 1080. It doesn't look as good as the footage they showed of UC4. Not even close. Not the foliage, not anything.

Watch the high quality Gamersyde stream, it impressed me a lot more than the 1080 YouTube clip.

You guys have even higher standards than me, this game looks wonderful. And I'm objective as hell as I only have an X1.
I guess I'll go back to the reveal and see if there's that much difference.

If there really were people who expected Uncharted 4 to look like the in-engine footage, they absolutely deserve to feel let-down. That's fucking stupid. As much as Naughty Dogs are graphics kings, there is NO way they could make it exactly like the in-engine footage, it unreal.

When it was revealed, MANY people did think that was gonna be the in game level of detail specifically because of how good ND are.

Rembrandt

Banned
gameplay doesn't look E3 quality, cutscenes kinda do. gameplay looks so much better, though. goddamn. the combat looks really, really fun. I'm loving the options it gives you in tackling the enemies; I hope all combat is as wide open as this sequence. I'm hyped.

If you really try to spot the differences, they are clear. Less detailed facial geometry, lower quality hair.

People aren't going to get away with "time of day!" as an excuse this time.

how about gameplay model vs. ingame cutscene model

hey remember how shitty drakes model in uncharted 2 was i mean look at it

Drake_Funny_Face.jpg

lol

Yo, what you're pointing out still doesn't rationalize how Tomb Raider is a better looking or more technically proficient game. I understand being wary of this game's look but don't forget what Tomb Raider actually looked like when you're claiming to be scrutinizing. The texture-work here shouldn't be ignored. It really does look like a cut above at least what I had noticed in Tomb Raider (which I played to completion on PS4 after skipping it last generation). And not all lighting in a scene is baked. I'm not just referring to the atmospheric lighting.

I never said it was. I said, you' have a hard time making a case that it does look better than TR. So.. get some screens of the demo, and get some screens of TR -- in game. And let's discuss. Otherwise, just saying, "this looks better than any console game to date" just doesn't make sense.

Grinchy

Banned
Damn this looked awesome. I don't really agree with the people who are saying otherwise but we all have our opinions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who feels like "the lighting is different" is going to become a new meme when defending obvious downgrades? You guys are giving the PR folks some great ammunition.

I almost feel like an asshole because I'm genuinely excited for this game and think it looks great, but saying that it looks just as good as the E3 teaser is a level of insanity that I can't hang with. Then again, I guess we saw the same kind of posts when the gameplay footage of Killzone 2 was finally revealed and we had some crazies saying it looked even better than the E3 reveal.

I just feel that if this happened in an Ubisoft or EA thread, people would be flipping their shit and grabbing their pitchforks and torches.

Oh, well. It's really not worth fighting over.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
how about gameplay model vs. ingame cutscene model

hey remember how shitty drakes model in uncharted 2 was i mean look at it

Drake_Funny_Face.jpg

lol

A totally fair point. All I'm claiming is there is a difference between the models and it's not just time of day and wetness that accounts for it.

You seem to have painted yourself into a corner there.

How so? You have evidence to the contrary?

EDIT: AC:Unity may have pre-baked light probes but at least your character picks up the GI as it walks near them.. We see no such thing in UC. Just basic lighting like last-gen.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
how many people found that demo kind of boring? it looked pretty. very pretty. and thats about it.

I was thinking the complete opposite. I was underwhelmed by the graphics (even though they are good, they didn't astonish me like the E3 graphics.), and excited to actually play. The platforming strategy aspect looked really fun.

Ishida

Banned
Am I the only one who feels like "the lighting is different" is going to become a new meme when defending obvious downgrades? You guys are giving the PR folks some great ammunition.

I almost feel like an asshole because I'm genuinely excited for this game and think it looks great, but saying that it looks just as good as the E3 teaser is a level of insanity that I can't hang with. Then again, I guess we saw the same kind of posts when the gameplay footage of Killzone 2 was finally revealed and we had some crazies saying it looked even better than the E3 reveal.

I just feel that if this happened in an Ubisoft or EA thread, people would be flipping their shit and grabbing their pitchforks and torches.

Oh, well. It's really not worth fighting over.

Same can be said about "this looks like a downgrade" stance.

Hiro45

Banned
Even Uncharted is suffering from the 30 fps console game syndrome lol

http://nghtyd.gs/1q83UHl

Although we are still in the pre-alpha stage of development, everything you see in the video is in-game and in real-time running at 1080p and a stable 30hz. It’s looking pretty spectacular already and we still have quite some time to optimize and refine our technology to make this the best looking and playing Uncharted game to date.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
His hair might look worse in the new footage, but I think skin shader is better, which is a more important thing. They added some very nice SSS to skin shader, it looked more plasticy to me in the E3 trailer.

charsace

That's not "running well." Constantly in the mid20s is garbage. The game is also 900p.

Since last generation mid twenties frame rate on consoles has always meant the game runs well. I don't remember playing a whole lot of games last gen that ran anywhere close to 60. Most of the games this gen run 30 or less on console.

Nothing in this video is beyond any of the best looking games we have seen so far. Character models, PBR materials, lighting, animation, texture res, indirect lighting, etc. all looks in line with what has been shown in other technologically impressive games.

What makes this game look great to me is the encounter set up. It looks very dynamic and fast. Similar to how games like Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break focus on playing faster and being more dynamic than the stuff we saw last gen.

Top Bottom