• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

charsace

If you mean last gen version, then I don't agree. U3 clearly looks more impressive to me. To put it bluntly, the production values are just a big notch above.

Obviously the PC and next gen versions of TR win out overall on visuals. I still find U3, given the respective hardware, a more impressive package however.

Tomb Raider last gen looks just as good as any of the Uncharted games and had bigger, more open environments. Tomb Raider remaster does not touch UC4 though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I was not super impressed watching the stream yesterday - a bit disappointed in fact - but the Gamersyde video is a revelation. Way too much got lost in the stream's quality.

I'm still not sure at all that it's quite the same renderer that the E3 teaser went through, but it's very pretty. The image quality holds up remarkably given how much dense/small detail is present in the vegetation. There's aliasing in spots but by any rights there should be a lot more given how much small detail is there.

I think the water could be improved in spots though, where it's cascading over rocks etc. Otherwise I'm very glad I downloaded the gamersyde version.

lol if you think Uncharted 4 is gonna be 60fps. Right now it definitely is not :p

We don't even have confirmation, though. They were saying how they wanted to stick with 60fps after TLOU PS4 because they were able to hit their goal. If they are still going with 60fps, and the demo is running at 30fps, they probably haven't gotten to stabilizing the game at 60fps.

It would be weird for them to backtrack on those statements after the talks they had with media about the team's discussion about 60fps.

vpance

The Order definitely tops U4 right now but it's not really a fair comparison with the generic rocky jungle environment for the latter. Wait for the more urban, interior locations. They were always the most impressive areas in the franchise.

Tomb Raider last gen looks just as good as any of the Uncharted games and had bigger, more open environments. Tomb Raider remaster does not touch UC4 though.

I don't agree...Uncharted was just a higher quality experience. Explorable areas were larger in TR, though not particularly large, but rendered environments in Uncharted are just as big, with lots of clutter. Art + tech + set pieces, I think Uncharted 3 looks a decent bit better than TR. I felt TR felt a little cheaper by comparison.

VinFTW

Best looking console game I've ever seen. Not only that, but there are true evolutions to the gameplay that make it look just as next-gen as the visuals:

Open-ended level design as well as encounter design
shooting looks so perfect
climbing has evolved in a realistic way (grappling, climbing pick, etc
melee system looks excellent
stealth elements in the long grass

Day fucking -1235321424.

charsace

The Order definitely tops U4 right now but it's not really a fair comparison with the generic rocky jungle environment for the latter. Wait for the more urban, interior locations. They were always the most impressive areas in the franchise.

The Order has tight small environments so they can up the detail. In regards to game play I prefer UC4 by a mile. With the hardware and money being spent a lot of the big franchises will look great. Game play will be more important than it was the last two generations because art talent all over the industry is at a similar level.

wachie

aqakkj.gif

A like how he is shadowed here. Multiple ambient light sources.
Glorious unparalleled IQ. Yumm.

SDCowboy

Anyone notice early on, when he leaped to the rock wall with the knife/pick and slid down leaving a big scrape on the rock? So good. :)

Best looking console game I've ever seen. Not only that, but there are true evolutions to the gameplay that make it look just as next-gen as the visuals:

climbing as evolved in a realistic way (grappling, climbing pick, etc

Day fucking -1235321424.
Don't forget the attention to small details. This game is going to be great.

Lord I just can't stop watching the demo in its full entirety.
The gameplay just looks sublime. I said this earlier but the transitions between melee and gunplay and the context sensitive animations that are happening - the soldier grasping desperately for a outcropping as he slides down the sand. The guy trying to spin in the air to grab the ledge as Drake pushes him off its just unreal and so far above what everyone else is doing.

The best thing about Uncharted's gameplay is the ability they give you to think on the fly and approach encounters in a myriad of ways. With what I am seeing here it looks like they are firing on all cylinders perfectly and like I said are so ahead of everyone else in the industry.

climbing as evolved in a realistic way (grappling, climbing pick, etc

Day fucking -1235321424.

Yup completely agree.

Amir0x

Banned
We don't even have confirmation, though. They were saying how they wanted to stick with 60fps after TLOU PS4 because they were able to hit their goal. If they are still going with 60fps, and the demo is running at 30fps, they probably haven't gotten to stabilizing the game at 60fps.

It would be weird for them to backtrack on those statements after the talks they had with media about the team's discussion about 60fps.

yeah they can say what they like, but so far AAA games this gen which have hit 60fps can be counted on less than one full hand, including devs which made it their goal but missed it anyway.

Right now it's 30fps, and any other pie-in-the-sky promises are just that. :p

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Despite the Naughty Gods label, they weren't ever notably ahead of Sony's other studios graphically. KZ2 blew Uncharted away, and they never bested GoW3 to me.

They made better games than GG and SSM obviously, but graphically I don't think they were in another league or something.

Nah,

ND games were always the most consistent graphically stunning games. I mean, GOW3 looked next gen in some parts, and fucking terrible in others. Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3 and TLOU were stunning throughout.

yeah they can say what they like, but so far AAA games this gen which have hit 60fps can be counted on less than one full hand, including devs which made it their goal but missed it anyway.

I'm assuming Nintendo AAA games aren't part of this gen

Amir0x

Banned
I'm assuming Nintendo AAA games aren't part of this gen

they are basically the whole hand, but yes I'm discussing PS4 and XBO titles in this evaluation

it's easy to see where Nintendo takes a cut to get their games running at 60fps, but for a game to look as good as this technically and be 60fps on PS4? Yeaaah... we'll see is all I can say >:)

Dr. Light

Please name these only 5 or less 60fps games on current gen.

And that's allowing you to ignore all Nintendo games.

Marvelous what a little break from Gaf can do to freshen your perspective lol.

Looked around elsewhere and I see no downgrade/concern trolling about U4 just excitement about the location, dynamic gameplay and visuals.

FLAguy954

Exactly

Drakes Bro looks absolutely realistic with all the showings of age and other natural things.
She looks like a doll - Unrealistic.

People shouldn't get forget this Alpha
This is Naughty Dog - Uncharted 3 looked a lot different/worse than the final product too.
Uncharted 4 will be the most beautiful game of all time the moment it gets released.
We will probably have the same cycle as last Gen where only Naughty Dog can raise the graphicsbar with each new game.
And people really should learn the difference between in-Engine(E3) and ingame and especially if its an alpha build.

Btw - For a Pre-Alpha build this game ran a lot more fluid than most Ubisoft Games ;)

Goddamn this made me laugh. I bet Uncharted 4 won't even have PCSS or HBAO.

I agree. The one good thing about them aiming for 60fps is it seems a locked 30 is very likely. Even the demo runs surprisingly good for a game so far out right now.

StuBurns

Banned
Drake's pretty clearly still a superhero. But the E3 thing did say he'd been out of the game, I like the idea he's sloppier.

RetroStu

Banned
The graphics style reminds me of a water colour painting or something, i'm not super keen on it, especially when compared to those Uncharted 3 screens i posted on the other page.

EDIT. I'm not saying Uncharted 3 looks better because it doesn't, it just seems to be a new art style.

reKon

Banned

climbing has evolved in a realistic way (grappling, climbing pick, etc

Day fucking -1235321424.

Agreed. Screw all the other posters in the this who want to spend 50+ pages not shutting the fuck up about how the visuals compare to the E3 teaser when it really has no significance on how much better the gameplay is compared to most TPS's on the market including UC2 and UC3.

Yep, that generic jungle definitely doesn't compare to that Victorian themed corridor and kitchen.....you gotta be kidding me. lol.

Amir0x

Banned
Please name these only 5 or less 60fps games on current gen.

And that's allowing you to ignore all Nintendo games.

I mean we're going to get into the game here of determining what should count or not, but my bar here is games which mostly run 60fps. Most of these games still have significant drops at times.

Battlefield 4 is 60fps during the campaign (40-60 during multiplayer), and Battlefield: Hardline is also said to be 60fps @ 1080p.

Forza 5 is 60fps, as is Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is 60fps. Pro Evolution Soccer is as well.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is 60fps, 1760x1080 resolution.

RetroStu

Banned
I'm just watching the gameplay again and i just love Drake and his one liners.
They should of made an Uncharted film with Nathan Fillion before he got fat, he would of been brilliant as Drake.

Lord I just can't stop watching the demo in its full entirety.
The gameplay just looks sublime. I said this earlier but the transitions between melee and gunplay and the context sensitive animations that are happening - the soldier grasping desperately for a outcropping as he slides down the sand. The guy trying to spin in the air to grab the ledge as Drake pushes him off its just unreal and so far above what everyone else is doing.

The best thing about Uncharted's gameplay is the ability they give you to think on the fly and approach encounters in a myriad of ways. With what I am seeing here it looks like they are firing on all cylinders perfectly and like I said are so ahead of everyone else in the industry.

Yup completely agree.

That's what I also liked about Last of Us too. I played mostly stealthy, but when I got spotted and everyone knew I was in the area it turned into this cool thing of chaotic stealth, with taking out an enemy then quickly changing my position and flanking around to get the jump on another enemy. Stun them with a quick brick or bottle throw then charging them with a one hit melee kill then finding another position.

Yea, bigger games have been going at a lower framerate, but that doesn't necessarily mean future ones are going to be. Like I said before, we don't even have confirmation. Just some words from ND about going with 1080/60 going forward and this demo running at 30fps a year before this game hits the market.

I don't have any expectations of what this game is going to be, but your statement is too absolute for something we don't know much about. This could just be a stable build for all we know.

...Unless you know something I don't.

-griffy-

Banned
Yup. The game is more realistic now and I very much like it. But some will say it doesn't look like an Uncharted game anymore :\

They've always portrayed Drake as a more realistic "everyman" type character since the very first game. It's one of the core tenants of the design. This doesn't mean he doesn't do extraordinary, unrealistic things often, but it means he isn't perfect when he does them. This means he doesn't run perfectly, he stumbles every once in awhile, he flinches when getting shot at, etc. This isn't really anything new for the character.

I'm curious how Elena plays into this because if they go back to the same thing as in Uncharted 3 where she got pissed he always went off on life-risking adventures and left him again, I'm going to be really annoyed. Uncharted 3 easily could have been the ending of the series with how it played out, so I'm wondering how Elena feels about Nate doing this again.

In the book Nate opens, there's something written that says "Call Elena" too, lol.

tahsutify

I'm curious how Elena plays into this because if they go back to the same thing as in Uncharted 3 where she got pissed he always went off on life-risking adventures and left him again, I'm going to be really annoyed. Uncharted 3 easily could have been the ending of the series with how it played out, so I'm wondering how Elena feels about Nate doing this again.

Well, at the moment I'm getting a vibe that Drake himself doesn't even want an adventure. I'm guessing that we will see Drake in his regular retired lifestyle for a bit and something terrible will happen.

Top Bottom