• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Gray Matter

So how much of this won't make it in game?

My bet is in that rope takedown move, and going down the mud slide, jumping and kicking the guy out. Both of those won't be in game.

Well, at the moment I'm getting a vibe that Drake himself doesn't even want an adventure. I'm guessing that we will see Drake in his regular retired lifestyle for a bit and something terrible will happen.

That's something I was thinking about, too. Could have definitely happened. Like his "brother" (if it's his real brother, who knows) comes back into his life and he gets sucked into an adventure without planning on it.

So how much of this won't make it in game?

My bet is in that rope takedown move, and going down the mud slide, jumping and kicking the guy out. Both of those won't be in game.

If this was some other dev, I'd likely agree with you. I feel like ND is usually pretty honest with their reveals and what you see is very close to what you get. Those things will be pretty contextualized and will probably be more "scripted" as part of the level design I bet.

I mean we're going to get into the game here of determining what should count or not, but my bar here is games which mostly run 60fps. Most of these games still have significant drops at times.

Battlefield 4 is 60fps during the campaign (40-60 during multiplayer), and Battlefield: Hardline is also said to be 60fps @ 1080p.

Forza 5 is 60fps, as is Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is 60fps. Pro Evolution Soccer is as well.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is 60fps, 1760x1080 resolution.

And then there is Ghosts and AW, Metro Redux, Tomb Raider...

Dr. Light

I mean we're going to get into the game here of determining what should count or not, but my bar here is games which mostly run 60fps. Most of these games still have significant drops at times.

Battlefield 4 is 60fps during the campaign (40-60 during multiplayer), and Battlefield: Hardline is also said to be 60fps @ 1080p.

Forza 5 is 60fps, as is Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes. Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare is 60fps. Pro Evolution Soccer is as well.

Wolfenstein: The New Order is 60fps, 1760x1080 resolution.

How did you miss CoD AW and Halo MCC? If you deny those are 60fps, you're being unreasonable.

Metro Redux is perfectly locked at 60, just like Ground Zeroes. And yes, it has next-gen graphics, more or less.

Tomb Raider DE is below my definition of a 60fps game, but it's close. You could also count Last of Us, although that's debatable due to it's last-gen base.

The only reason most games are 30fps is because developers don't seem to care as much as me about framerate, and have the wrong priorities.

I hope Naughty Dog wasn't lying and this is just unoptimized code that will be 60fps at launch, because otherwise I am very disappointed.

Bold One

As a big Uncharted fan, I'm sorry to say this. This doesn't look as spectacular as the Uncharted 2 gameplay reveal

It does look nice, hell, it's looks very nice. But it's not mind-blowing. Not even close. And I don't get it why ND can't do it, the reveal certainly was, but it now seems like that could've been pre-rendered (better IQ and visuals, and 60 fps)

Oh, but my biggest gripe is THE ANIMATION. It looks awful. Seriously. Hand keyed animation is something ND really likes, but it looks so cartoony, so out of place for this sort of visuals, that actually brings down the believability factor by a ton. ND, please use motion capture for gameplay animation, or at least try to do the animation TLOU style (it was also hand keyed but looked more realistic). Drake moving around looks like a cartoon, and it really ruins the immersion factor.

The Order 1886 DID look mindblowing on its latest demo. It's a MUCH, MUCH better looking game, which makes me wonder if ND are already beaten as tech wizards, which disappoints me a little.

Oh, and saying this looks like UC3, is just stupid. And it's totally nonsense, pure fanboyism, and these people should be punished for such statements.

wK8daRz.gif

BRwZkny.jpg

No no no.

Look at the picture.
One is plastic-looking (but still good)
The other one is REAL-LOOKING.

There no way someone would prefer or even judge BETTER the AC Model.

Is it just me or Drake's brother looks awfully similar to a younger version of David from TLOU?

David.png

Bandit1

Really impressed with this. Gameplay looks fantastic. Climbing looks much improved. Lots of small details I loved: Drake checking the clip when he first gets the bad guy's gun, the trees rustling as that dude fell off the cliff, and slings on the guns! Yes...

They've always portrayed Drake as a more realistic "everyman" type character since the very first game. It's one of the core tenants of the design. This doesn't mean he doesn't do extraordinary, unrealistic things often, but it means he isn't perfect when he does them. This means he doesn't run perfectly, he stumbles every once in awhile, he flinches when getting shot at, etc. This isn't really anything new for the character.

0_o ooook....
Well I mean the climbing mechanic :D Drake used to climb extremely fast and when some people see how slower Drake climbs now, they might see this game different than the other in the franchise.

Cdammen

I like the vertical action going on. But I hope there's more puzzle solving, studying the journal, and calm sections in this fourth game.

I really dislike the shooting in Uncharted. Even on easy the enemies are bullet sponges, numerous, and sometimes spawn like crazy fast. But then again, some people like that. Maybe they'll just include more checkpoints on the "easy" difficulty setting, which I play all Uncharted games on :)

Also, people here on NeoGAF are crazy nit-picking every single fucking blurry, macro-blocked, video screendump. It's amazing to behold.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Question:

Did RAD actually outdo Naughty Dog in visuals?

Kind of difficult to compare given how far along RAD's game is compared to the build U4 was at, but man... I will say Ready at Dawn's visual detail is crazy.
At this point in time, I say yes. We'll see if that holds up by the time Uncharted is out.

Well, I'm having a tough time deciding between these two shots.

better elise from pc thread

sYslH7b.jpg
It's not even close, the UC4 shot looks a lot better.
It's not even close. UC4 blows away Unity in regards to character models. Just look at what you just posted, night and day.
....Really? For me it's not even close, the UC4 shot looks vastly superior. That woman's face has no detail at all. Just looks like a smooth, blurry surface.
not sure how can anyone compare these two at all. Looks like generational leap of difference at least. AC model looks very soft, like it has gone through some blur filter, textures are not even comparable.
I think the biggest difference are skin and eye shaders. The image quality in UC4 is a lot better as well.
I doubt that AC4 even has subsurface scattering, just using blur instead. And the eyes look like a texture with fake reflections.

Amir0x

Banned
How did you miss CoD AW and Halo MCC? If you deny those are 60fps, you're being unreasonable.

Metro Redux is perfectly locked at 60, just like Ground Zeroes. And yes, it has next-gen graphics, more or less.

Tomb Raider DE is below my definition of a 60fps game, but it's close. You could also count Last of Us, although that's debatable due to it's last-gen base.

The only reason most games are 30fps is because developers don't seem to care as much as me about framerate, and have the wrong priorities.

I hope Naughty Dog wasn't lying and this is just unoptimized code that will be 60fps at launch, because otherwise I am very disappointed.

It won't be 60fps. Mark this post.

Most of the games that are 60fps are crossgen ports. Once you eliminate those, you get almost no 60fps AAA games this gen. That is a big distinction.

I like the vertical action going on. But I hope there's more puzzle solving, studying the journal, and calm sections in this fourth game.

I really dislike the shooting in Uncharted. Even on easy the enemies are bullet sponges, numerous, and sometimes spawn like crazy fast. But then again, some people like that. Maybe they'll just include more checkpoints on the "easy" difficulty setting, which I play all Uncharted games on :)

Also, people here on NeoGAF are crazy nit-picking every single fucking blurry, macro-blocked, video screendump. It's amazing to behold.
I never had a problem with Uncharted gunplay. The problem I always had was traversing/scaling the environment. It's just a matter of hold x + aim left/right and let Drake do all the magic. It's just..mundane (for lack of better word). And that's all there is to it.

-griffy-

Banned
I know you've seen the older Order threads, so I'm not gonna argue with you. But you're totally wrong.

That's not wrong, that's entirely correct. The Order's resolution has the same pixel density as 1080p. It's 1:1 pixel mapping on a 1080p display, but it's not rendering an entire 1920x1080 image. It's rendering 1920x800. It's not being upscaled, so it has the same level of IQ a 1080p game would have, but it's simply not rendering a full 1080p, hence the letterboxing.

Pop

That's not wrong, that's entirely correct. The Order's resolution has the same pixel density as 1080p. It's 1:1 pixel mapping on a 1080p display, but it's not rendering an entire 1920x1080 image. It's rendering 1920x800. It's not being upscaled, so it has the same level of IQ a 1080p game would have, but it's simply not rendering a full 1080p, hence the letterboxing.

I know. Thought he was saying it isn't 1080p.

My bad, misread

vpance

Yep, that generic jungle definitely doesn't compare to that Victorian themed corridor and kitchen.....you gotta be kidding me. lol.

It wasn't a slight against U4. It's easier to show off and increase the detail when you're making a smaller enclosed area in a game. And it's a jungle so theres going to be inherently less variety of materials. Somewhere in U4 there will be a super detailed interior and then the versus is on :)

UC4 doesn't look much better than MGS5's/ground zeroes' jungle level and That's 1080p/60.

Em... I am not a huge fan of uncharted, but I can quite easily say rendering wise. ,UC 4 is doing quite a bit more.

It does look pretty poly starved on the rocks though.

FLAguy954

It's not even close, the UC4 shot looks a lot better.

I think the biggest difference are skin and eye shaders. The image quality in UC4 is a lot better as well.
I doubt that AC4 even has subsurface scattering, just using blur instead. And the eyes look like a texture with fake reflections.

You would probably want to use a better non-compressed picture for comparison:

sYslH7b.jpg

ACU does have SSS and the "eye textures" are about on par. With the clearer image you can also see that Elise does have some facial detail. Just because she doesn't have well-defined wrinkles, that does not negate her facial detail. Also, the texture work on her clothing is far superior to the UC4 shot. The Uncharted 4 shot is still very impressive though.

Sai

It's gorgeous—the best Uncharted's ever looked. Character models are amazing, and the way the foliage looks and reacts to the movement of the characters is really somethin'.

Watching the gameplay felt a tad bit underwhelming though. Maybe because it wasn't 60fps like many were expecting.

Anyways, can't wait to see Sully and Elena.

StuBurns

Banned
You would probably want to use a better non-compressed picture for comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/sYslH7b.jpg[IMG]

ACU does have SSS and the "eye textures" are about on par. With the clearer image you can also see that Elise does have some facial detail. Just because she doesn't have well-defined wrinkles, that does not negate her facial detail. Also, the texture work on her clothing is far superior to the UC4 shot. The Uncharted 4 shot is still very impressive though.[/QUOTE]
Her hair is so so bad.

I don't know how hair should be attempted, but gaming is horrible at it in close ups, especially with long hair.

In visual arts, as a general rule, you shouldn't try to paint leaves, you try to capture the essence of leaves, because they're too noisy visually. Maybe there's an equivalent for gaming hair, and if there is, people need to get right on that.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
i think we're going to have to redefine what 'doesn't look much better' means :p

because this U4 demo curb stomped that shit.
Bit of an understatement. Foliage alone was leagues head, and then there's also character model quality, animations(even though they aren't finished), and some ridiculous levels of detail.

While it did not wow me on levels that FFVX did, it still looks gorgeous. But, I am not much of an Uncharted fan and if this was supposed to change my mind gameplay wise, then it didn't really impress me.

Top Bottom