• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Cider

I finally watched the video is HD and WOW, that was really impressive. UC2 impressive, honestly. Looks like enemy AI is pretty decent and they seemed aggressive. My favorite part is how deep the world felt.
Can't wait for this and 1886 <3

Well Naughty Dog confirmed they are aiming for 60fps and have not said other wise

Bruce Strat on twitter said "So that's just the tip of the iceberg people! Our meat-n-potatoes, core moment-to-moment experience for #Uncharted4."

It is pretty understandable pre alpha stage footage will be 30fps, even more impressive with that it was stable with that high level of detail, considering most optimization is done towards the end of development.

Since the ICE TEAM are with ND, I can see 60fps similar to TLOU Remastered, where the dips will barely be noticeable

While when they debuted it they mentioned aiming for 60, I don't recall any game that started out being shown at 30, then made a jump to 60 by release. Driveclub also aimed for 60 initially. If the game looks and plays like it did in this demo, I think 1080/30 will be just fine.

While when they debuted it they mentioned aiming for 60, I don't recall any game that started out being shown at 30, then made a jump to 60 by release. Driveclub also aimed for 60 initially. If the game looks and plays like it did in this demo, I think 1080/30 will be just fine.

it's entirely possible the game is already running at 60 though, but with significant dips so they locked it at 30 for the sake of the demo to avoid issues

i-Lo

Or maybe it's a nod to Uncharted 3. ;)

Yea, I think I got ahead of myself there. Looking at those pictures, the off screen capture makes Drake look younger than the direct feed trailer. Upon reassessment, which was triggered by his clothes, I feel like I made an error.

TEH-CJ

Banned
That is one handsome motherfucker. Even surpasses the UC2 model in hotness!

The side by side is especially nuts. UC3 Drake looks like a cartoony avatar of the "life version" (UC4).

Lovely.

God damn I love Naughty dog. And holy crap he is one handsome dude. My girlfriend loves me playing Uncharted because she is in love with drake. I am slightly jelly.

cameron

My friend is at the "bringing Nathan Drake to PS4" panel and here are some pictures (sorry for the bad quality).

B4TDMuQCcAAKpoF.jpg

Looking good, Drake.

Curious about Sully and Elena.

Jigolo

This is all just guessing by me - but it was probably locked down to 30 for public demo purposes and is running higher than 30 but fluctuates and not locked. This would not have made for a good demo for the mass public.

This is all just guessing by me - but it was probably locked down to 30 for public demo purposes and is running higher than 30 but fluctuates and not locked. This would not have made for a good demo for the mass public.

According to the video on the previous page it never drops below 30, which is impressive for barely optimised footage a yea ahead of release and would suggest that it already runs at well over 30FPS.
Add to that the comments that this demo was a lot rougher just a few days ago and I'm confident that NaughtyDog hits 60FPS in time for release.

Ricky_R

Yea, I think I got ahead of myself there. Looking at those pictures, the off screen capture makes Drake look younger than the direct feed trailer. Upon reassessment, which was triggered by his clothes, I feel like I made an error.

I meant the part about playing at different times of his life.

Superflat

Heres a great breakdown of some things you guys probably didn't catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcQ_VJX0BNo&list=UU7Jo0VTzeyYbZ8cVk3k-EhA&spfreload=10

This guy knows his stuff.

Don't know enough about the real technical stuff but he points out a ton of things I missed. Among them is how pretty much every piece of plant life he brushes across moves, how even rocks seem to deform and get chunks hit off of them, the mud trail when the enemy slides down the incline, and the amount of particles and smoke that come out when cover gets hit.

cheezcake

?? I am pretty sure they even said they were using that on character models. Also, what is wrong with some basic conjecture? He doesn't have the technical sheets to verify of course. On the flipside can you definitively falsify his claims? Can you back up your own claims sufficiently?

I am not sufficiently technically versed to say one way or the other in most cases. I admit he doesn't actually cite much proof in many of his assertions.

This isn't basic conjecture though the guy is just spouting a bunch of random stuff with no real evidence. Also its not on us to "definitively falsify his claims", he's the one making the claims and so the burden of proof is his.

The engine has been done and pretty much solid already. They ported TLOU to PS4 and UC4 is using the same engine. I see the new tricks they have in place: dynamic GI in caves with flashlight and the sphere-intersection based AO for ambient shadows. I don't think they are going to spend the bulk of their time next year optimizing rather it'll be used to continue making content to finish the game.

The most impressive things for me by far are the physics and collision detection. Very nicely done and definitely needed to be a step higher than what we are currently seeing.

Objectively I know that there are hours upon hours of hard work put into Nate's new character model, and yet all I can think of is goddamn, Naughty Dog be bringin' it with the mancandy. His eyes are definitely much more proportional to the rest of his facial features. Upgraaaade.

This isn't basic conjecture though the guy is just spouting a bunch of random stuff with no real evidence. Also its not on us to "definitively falsify his claims", he's the one making the claims and so the burden of proof is his.

Yeah, of course, the burden of proof is his. He doesn't cite any for stuff like tesselation.

chaosaeon

you don't have to worry about that, Naughty Dog's Bruce Straley tweeted this:

Stealth mechanics from TLOU are in

YES. Got so tired of killing 9 of 10 guys in Uncharted 3, then having the last guy see me through a wall and going "there he IS" and 10 more guys wizard spawn and you're back to square one and gunfighting. Stealth was always wonky, once you were seen (often inexplicably) you could break line of sight and yet every enemy knows exactly where you are no matter what you do after that.

I'm really hyped to see some decent stealth ala TLoU added to the encounter options of an Uncharted. So much better than just shooting everyone to death from behind cover every time.

Top Bottom