• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Gameplay Demo [Up: Sony - Was running at 30 fps]

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
...the more screens that are posted of ACU characters, he more obvious it becomes that it is definitely not up to par as U4...They look good, no need to denigrate them, but the comparison is doing Unity any favours...

Agree completely. Not even close.

...the more screens that are posted of ACU characters, he more obvious it becomes that it is definitely not up to par as U4...They look good, no need to denigrate them, but the comparison is doing Unity any favours...

You really sound extremely biased towards UC4. The game looks good for sure. But you are acting like the game has just leaped above every game this gen.. including the PC. It's just sounds very much like you are riding the ND bandwagon.

The subtle details in that demo are very nice and extremely thoughtful.. typical of the talented team at ND. But that doesn't make the game superior to every other game out there. The textures are typical, the ocean texture could definitely take from AC:Black Flag's water, the smoke could definitely use more work, lighting is basic and not as photoreal accurate as AC:Unity, explosions could get some work too. It would be nice to have dynamic time of day.. that's not there.. and the scope is still linear (you can't possible walk to those mountains you see in the background). There are several games that do this better from a subjective point of view..and clearly other games that do more with the hardware from an objective point of view.

Lastly, with the lackluster performance problems and downgraded graphics of this gen on both consoles with the games that have released so far, I expected that people waiting on ND to release UC4 footage would latch on tight and use UC4 as their final hope justifying their console purchase by raising it high above anything else (even if it's on par). I'm happy to report that I was dead on about that assumption.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I think they are pretty comparable. I really love Elise's hair though. I haven't seen any other character model in any other game have long hair that looks that good.

assassin_s_creed_unity___arno_and_elise_by_alucard_748-d86jyyo.jpg

ACU-Incest-Creed.jpg

AC_Unity_Test_PC_01-pc-games.jpg

What.....its not even comparable...

My friend is at the "bringing Nathan Drake to PS4" panel and here are some pictures (sorry for the bad quality).

B4TB2MmCUAAXQAL.jpg

B4TC1lsCUAMs-Jx.jpg

B4TDMuQCcAAKpoF.jpg

B4TDTSeCcAAatNk.jpg

B4TEFj_CcAA0naE.jpg

B4TESWQCYAAQaKN.jpg
What's the meaning of this? Why go through this much work on this younger Drake model to never use it in the game?

You guys think we're going to play as a younger Drake somewhere or this is just a ditched model?

TEH-CJ

Banned
What's the meaning of this? Why go through this much work on this younger Drake model to never use it in the game?

You guys think we're going to play as a younger Drake somewhere or this is just a ditched model?

Its a PS3 model sir :)

I think they would of completely had to redo the assets for PS4 as opposed to re using assets from the PS3 engine.

samar11

I thought the graphics looked amazing, nothing comes close to it so far! In my opinion off course :) People also need to remember this game won't be out for at least another year, that's plenty of time to increase the graphics quality.

I said as much in here earlier; a lot of people are giving this demo shit, and can't even appreciate all that is going on here. It is absolutely next gen stuff, and downright amazing for something so early.

There is nothing next-gen about it.

The 2 impressive techniques that they have in their engine that they use are:

1) Incredible ambient shadows that destroy the approximation of HBAO. Was used last gen on PS3.

2) The dynamic GI flashlight. Completely superceded by the completely dynamic GI engine in Alien:Isolation (it's a next-gen feature). Flashlight also done in TLOU last gen.

All the other subtleties that you see, blood on nose, movement through foliage, deformation of objects, water interaction for wet look, etc.. all done before -- just not at one time. ND is very talented in using resouces for subtle things like this. I like that. But I wouldn't take away the work from other studios that have done these things one way or another.

Also, this early build and within one year will look like computer CG has to stop. The main components of the game have already been developed. We can say the same thing about every other game that shows at E3 a year before release. "Man, if they have this much done so early, it'll be even MORE impressive when they ship!" It's cliche.

The company works like any other company during a dev cycle. Content gets created and bugs get squashed some new features in the engine get implemented (as we've seen with the physics). Every other game has shown demos over a year before release and most of them end up looking the same. Some get downgraded due to FPS problems, some get upgraded.

ND is where the ICE team is and there job is to do nothing but optimizing for the hardware .
The game is nearly a year from release if you think they not going to be updating the engine your crazy .

You really sound extremely biased towards UC4. The game looks good for sure. But you are acting like the game has just leaped above every game this gen.. including the PC. It's just sounds very much like you are riding the ND bandwagon.

The subtle details in that demo are very nice and extremely thoughtful.. typical of the talented team at ND. But that doesn't make the game superior to every other game out there. The textures are typical, the ocean texture could definitely take from AC:Black Flag's water, the smoke could definitely use more work, lighting is basic and not as photoreal accurate as AC:Unity, explosions could get some work too. It would be nice to have dynamic time of day.. that's not there.. and the scope is still linear (you can't possible walk to those mountains you see in the background). There are several games that do this better from a subjective point of view..and clearly other games that do more with the hardware from an objective point of view.

Lastly, with the lackluster performance problems and downgraded graphics of this gen on both consoles with the games that have released so far, I expected that people waiting on ND to release UC4 footage would latch on tight and use UC4 as their final hope justifying their console purchase by raising it high above anything else (even if it's on par). I'm happy to report that I was dead on about that assumption.
Come on now; you are going overboard now. You are dinging UC4 for not having features that an open world game would have, when it's clearly not intended to be open world. The demo is amazing, and anyone saying it's the best they've ever seen would be clearly within their right to say so; it looks that good. Not only that, performance-wise it's nice and smooth, unlike that other game. Whether it remains that way, or better yet reaches 60fps, remains to be seen, but as of now you just come off as extremely biased and salty with your refusal to give UC4 any credit.

ND is where the ICE team is and there job is to do nothing but optimizing for the hardware .
The game is nearly a year from release if you think they not going to be updating the engine your crazy .

I think you won't see 60FPS if you think that's what they are doing. Adding in new features have to wait. It's just like Deck-13 with their graphics engine. It completely supports PBR, but they didn't have time to redo all the assets to take advantage of it. 1 year is not a lot of time believe it or not.

Come on now; you are going overboard now. You are dinging UC4 for not having features that an open world game would have, when it's clearly not intended to be open world. The demo is amazing, and anyone saying it's the best they've ever seen would be clearly within their right to say so; it looks that good. Not only that, performance-wise it's nice and smooth, unlike that other game. Whether it remains that way, or better yet reaches 60fps, remains to be seen, but as of now you just come off as extremely biased and salty with your refusal to give UC4 any credit.

No dude you just aren't allowed to think a game looks good unless VFX_Veteran says so, can't believe you haven't found this out yet. His many many posts downplaying people's opinions and comments about Unity in an Uncharted thread haven't shown you?

vpance

Wow. You need to relax man.

Come on now; you are going overboard now. You are dinging UC4 for not having features that an open world game would have, when it's clearly
not intended to be open world.

Saying the game is the best they've ever seen and not backing it up with what MAKES it look the best is going overboard IMO. The moment someone says, "best they've ever seen" makes the game be compared to any game out there.. open world or not.

Not only that, performance-wise it's nice and smooth, unlike that other game. Whether it remains that way, or better yet reaches 60fps, remains to be seen, but as of now you just come off as extremely biased and salty with your refusal to give UC4 any credit.

I've given UC4 a lot of credit where I see it deserves credit .. Look at my posts. But I won't say it's the best I've ever seen because it isn't. If that means I'm not giving ND any credit..then oh well..

Hurley

lmao

No dude you just aren't allowed to think a game looks good unless VFX_Veteran says so, can't believe you haven't found this out yet. His many many posts downplaying people's opinions and comments about Unity in an Uncharted thread haven't shown you?

I thought the graphics looked amazing, nothing comes close to it so far! In my opinion off course :) People also need to remember this game won't be out for at least another year, that's plenty of time to increase the graphics quality.

I am doing the same thing you guys are. Pot calling kettle?

Its a PS3 model sir :)

I think they would of completely had to redo the assets for PS4 as opposed to re using assets from the PS3 engine.
What? The images say right there "Uncharted 4" on the corner of each picture! I never saw that model of Drake in any PS3 (or Bita for that matter) Uncharted game. Those can't be PS3 models, man!

Either I missed something or you're terribly confused.

Vire

Or you know it's not some crazy conspiracy and people just think it looks legitimately amazing.

Some of the posts in this thread...

Also, this early build and within one year will look like computer CG has to stop. The main components of the game have already been developed. We can say the same thing about every other game that shows at E3 a year before release. "Man, if they have this much done so early, it'll be even MORE impressive when they ship!" It's cliche.

No one saying it going to look like CG all you are doing is trying to put words into people mouths .
Also some games do look better when they ship cliche or not it's the truth .

delta25

Banned

1) Incredible ambient shadows that destroy the approximation of HBAO. Was used last gen on PS3.

2) The dynamic GI flashlight. Completely superceded by the completely dynamic GI engine in Alien:Isolation (it's a next-gen feature). Flashlight also done in TLOU last gen.

All the other subtleties that you see, blood on nose, movement through foliage, deformation of objects, water interaction for wet look, etc.. all done before -- just not at one time. ND is very talented in using resouces for subtle things like this. I like that. But I wouldn't take away the work from other studios that have done these things one way or another.

Holy fuck man, give it up already. I know it's hard pill to swallow, but some people may just see UC as an amazing looking game if not the best...deal with it and move the fuck on.

image.php

:D

Shirtless Drake eh? I think that will make some ladies very happy... xD

There has to be a huge hairy guy that you have to fight shirtless in front of an airplane (Indy call back), and have these tho manly chests (and you opponent's back) interact with the frantic wind of the rotor.

--

The old model now just looks like Archer compared to the new. i guess it's the symmetry.

I am doing the same thing you guys are. Pot calling kettle?

Literally every time someone has said they think they game looks good you come running over "why? Why? No its not, this does that too, this looks better here, here this doesn't look good"

I don't get why you are trying to convince other people how to feel about the games graphics, I'm not doing this, and haven't seen anyone else rush to bring down the game as much as you.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong

Dead on. Game certainly looks nice, but I was hoping to be blown away and I wasn't. We're still waiting for that game that's going to surprise us on these new consoles (personally I had very high hopes it would be this game), which will probably happen eventually, but UC4 isn't going to be the game that does it.

It's amusing how defensive and butt-hurt people become when you level any sort of mild criticism at a ND game. Yep, I get it -- Uncharted 2 and Last Of Us are masterpieces -- doesn't mean everything this studio does is god-tier and above criticism on any level.

HORRORSHØW

What? The images say right there "Uncharted 4" on the corner of each picture! I never saw that model of Drake in any PS3 (or Bita for that matter) Uncharted game. Those can't be PS3 models, man!

Either I missed something or you're terribly confused.
uh. left says "Uncharted 4" and the right one says "Uncharted 3":

B4TDTSeCcAAatNk.jpg

elcapitan

One of the reasons I went to PSX was so that I didn't have to worry about stuttering, laggy, and compressed footage for the Uncharted 4 gameplay reveal.

I'm glad to say, the game looks absolutely amazing. I go on GAF expecting to see people's minds blown but I'm surprised by some of the lukewarm reaction. I watch the YouTube video and it looks nothing like what I saw.

Night and day difference.

I don't deny I vastly prefer ND games over Ubisoft's stuff. That doesn't mean the game looks flawless and there isn't room for improvement (motion blur for instance) and that there isn't room for improvement. Nor does it negate my opinion. I am not saying the game blows the other top games away technically, I just feel it is more cohesive and a better overall package, something ND is known for.

You accusation is high irony however. You ride Unity far more than I ride this. You aren't the only person who has played that game. Not every one sees passed its numerous and glaring flaws.

Golgo 13: Tone down the cognative dissonance...you don't counter what you perceive as unreasonable antagonism to your opinion by tarring everyone who disagrees with you as 'butthurt'. Makes it seem likely that you just have an opposing agenda. It is fine not to think the game redefines visuals by the way, but I do think saying it looks like a last gen game or isn't even top tier is pretty telling...

Saying the game is the best they've ever seen and not backing it up with what MAKES it look the best is going overboard IMO. The moment someone says, "best they've ever seen" makes the game be compared to any game out there.. open world or not.

I've given UC4 a lot of credit where I see it deserves credit .. Look at my posts. But I won't say it's the best I've ever seen because it isn't. If that means I'm not giving ND any credit..then oh well..
That NXgamer video does a great job of showing all the details that make this demo some of the best graphics and tech I've ever seen. The thing with me is, I don't care what anyone else thinks about my opinion, and I respect the opinion of others, even yours. I never said that you should think it's the best thing ever, and I'm not trying to prove you wrong, like you are doing to everyone else. You are labeling people, calling bias; just basically being an ass about it, and it's not that serious! Gaming won't implode just because a few people happen to think UC4 looks incredible; if it's the best they've seen then so be it! It's so subjective anyway, how are you gonna measure something like that?

I think you won't see 60FPS if you think that's what they are doing. Adding in new features have to wait. It's just like Deck-13 with their graphics engine. It completely supports PBR, but they didn't have time to redo all the assets to take advantage of it. 1 year is not a lot of time believe it or not.

I not expecting 60fps but a year is a huge amount of time for them to add stuff which also depending on how the do there development .
They don't have to redo there assets to get better lighting , AA ( this they already got cover) , physics , particles , animation ,motion blur etc etc which all effect how a game looks.

Holy fuck man, give it up already. I know it's hard pill to swallow, but some people may just see UC as an amazing looking game if not the best...deal with it and move the fuck on.

Golgo 13 said:
Game is definitely, no question, a disappointment graphically. That first trailer set such a high bar. I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan, but they should've done better here. Sony is General is pretty much shitting the bed this generation, aside from Second Son, first party output has been, and continues to be underwhelming on a technical level. Not to mention just merely good (not saying they've been bad), but far from great. Even LBP3 was flaccid on arrival. I like underdog Sony much, much better.

So much hyperbole...

Lol no and lol no

What?. You have to be trolling. This game looks absolutely amazing, and dare I say, maybe even better than Assassin's Creed Unity. ..

pBqh5J2.gif

What about this? Doesn't he have a right to his opinion without getting bashed?

-griffy-

Banned
I expected that people waiting on ND to release UC4 footage would latch on tight and use UC4 as their final hope justifying their console purchase by raising it high above anything else (even if it's on par). I'm happy to report that I was dead on about that assumption.

This is gross right here. Approaching
2661305-3139548713-tumbl.gif

adelante

The dynamic water caustic reflections on cave walls and ceilings looks pretty damn impressive too, especially since its an effect that only becomes visible when Drake uses his flashlight. I don't think I've seen it been done on an interactive level in any other game so far.

Which video is this gif from? Do you have a link?

B4TDTSeCcAAatNk.jpg

Looks like two different men, different jaw bone, stubble, hair, traps, eyes, eyebrows. That's not Drake.

Uncharted 3 Drake is extremely stylized(while still looking amazing he almost looks cartoony in that image),
Uncharted 4 went almost completely realistic, aged him up and mixed in a bit of North.

Im sticking with my opinion that E3 & PSX are different models
with the PSX model looking younger and healthier.

You accusation is high irony however. You ride Unity far more than I ride this. You aren't the only person who has played that game. Not every one sees passed its numerous and glaring flaws.

I think you misjudge me. I created a thread about AC:Unity because it is unanimously considered the best looking game this gen. It's not some fan service to Ubisoft. I also praise other games' graphics, Crysis 3, KZ:SF, Ryse, FC4, and some others to name a few. Just because my AC:Unity thread got so many responses doesn't mean I'm riding AC:U. I recognize beauty and I speak about it.

Dead on. Game certainly looks nice, but I was hoping to be blown away and I wasn't. We're still waiting for that game that's going to surprise us on these new consoles (personally I had very high hopes it would be this game), which will probably happen eventually, but UC4 isn't going to be the game that does it.

It's amusing how defensive and butt-hurt people become when you level any sort of mild criticism at a ND game. Yep, I get it -- Uncharted 2 and Last Of Us are masterpieces -- doesn't mean everything this studio does is god-tier and above criticism on any level.

The only one butthurt is the dude you are waving pom poms for right now. Everyone else is cool.

Seems like plenty of projection going on here. To me it looks like you have an emotional investment in platform that you don't believe that's worth the investment and spend a good deal time trying to downplay the much more popular alternative. Convincing yourself that a console exclusive which is widely regarded on GAF in the past for its tech can't compare to your more expensive preferred platform. Because if it does, then what was the whole point, right?

The salt is definitely real.

That NXgamer video does a great job of showing all the details that make this demo some of the best graphics and tech I've ever seen. The thing with me is, I don't care what anyone else thinks about my opinion, and I respect the opinion of others, even yours. I never said that you should think it's the best thing ever, and I'm not trying to prove you wrong, like you are doing to everyone else. You are labeling people, calling bias; just basically being an ass about it, and it's not that serious! Gaming won't implode just because a few people happen to think UC4 looks incredible; if it's the best they've seen then so be it! It's so subjective anyway, how are you gonna measure something like that?

I don't have a problem with people thinking that. I have a problem with people shitting on others who actually express that they 'don't think UC4 is the best thing since sliced bread. Go back and read the responses to people who don't think UC4 looks that great. Those responses is what gets under my skin.

adelante

Uncharted 3 Drake is extremely stylized,
Uncharted 4 just went completely realistic, aged him up and mixed in a bit of North.

Yeah it's by far the most realistic depiction of Drake yet, my only wish is that they had used facial capture instead. Drake's brother may show plenty of subtle facial gestures/animation but the drawback of having it manually keyed in/computer generated is that all those subtleties animate at an awkward uh....what's the word for it. Cadence? Tons of details mean squat if they're morphing/transitioning into one another unnaturally. And to me that is what's happening here.

Ishan

Def impressive but not as impressive as the original reveal . And I'm sure some of that is def down to the night time lighting . Night time this gen just seems to be way better looking due to the lighting used . And yes the lod is higher on the cutscenes parts but that's to be expected doesn't mean e3 was pretendered. The cutscenes in this demo were nearly as good . As I said night time always tends to look more awesome .

Also to some such as vgx, one finished product vs alpha version . Also if you're going to compare it's characters to uc it's foliage to crysis etc etc isn't that tellig in itself . You need to look around for high end pcs running different games to find things that are done better than uc4 . I can probably find some game which has done one particular aspect better than any of the "goood looking high end games" . Having said that I don't see a super massive leap myself yet . Need more nighttime trailers to make up my mind but if they keep up to the reveal and I'm pretty sure they will it does look like a leap . If nighttime is like e3 it's a big leap if not it's still a leap but to the same level as the order is just in different directions (very focussed/filters vs small scale wide linear/ai)

Top Bottom