• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 spoiler free early copy impressions

Trace

Banned
Well, that's in the nature of your complaints, right? You feel that most of everything else outside of combat in UC4 is below average. I for example don't feel that way. I also enjoyed the breathing room outside of the combat that the game provided. Just differing perspectives.

I expect both perspectives to pop up quite a bit after launch. It's pre-launch right now after all.
I never played UC2 at launch, I only beat it for the first time a few weeks ago in the collection. Really I'm surprised at all the praise it gets on GAF,I thought it was dull and the combat sucked. The story didn't lead anywhere and there were far too many combat encounters near the end of the game. IMO UC4 is both better paced and far more fun to play.

I wanted a game that engaged me from start to finish and never let go. The downtime segments failed to do that. The action segments blew me away. Therefore I wanted more of that. If this game had incredible platforming and puzzles I would love the mix.

I mean, I think that's the personal preference part. I thought the platforming and puzzles were the best in the series. Not too difficult but fairly creative none the less. They didn't feel overly long for me, and combined with the banter from your partners, it was just really enjoyable to play through.

SomTervo

I never lost sight with the enemies in UC2......I could lose sight, climb to a new spot and snipers would still be locked on

Are you sure? I feel like that's a new mechanic. I can't recall ever losing sight.

I don't think so.

And even if it happened in 1 or 2 spots, which I don't think it did, it would still be super rare.

And I'm still pretty sure it never happened.

100% you can. It happened to me during several bits of Uncharted 2, even replaying it recently in the NDC. However - as noted below - I think Uncharted 2 is the only one where it's possible.

For instance, the bit where you're almost at the monastery, and you come up under the clifface with Elena. I was spotted by a guy while running for the crossbow, and ducked back. Elena kept shooting at them, and I doubled around the side of a truck. They all kept firing at where I had been (where Elena was) and I was right next to them at their flank. Broke one neck before getting spotted again.

You can do the same thing all over in the trainyard sandbox etc.

Y'all need to play you more Uncharted.

TBH there are no opportunities for this Uncharted 3 because the level/encounter design is so much worse. And now I think about it, I don't think it was possible in Uncharted 1 at all - far more rudimentary AI. Perhaps it's only Uncharted 2 where it was possible (which makes it a Bruce Straley staple).

SomTervo

It's up already

Is it redeeming the game for you, AKy?

I have a presentation in campus today, so I can't play for another 6 hours or so :/

Ah, shit.

I have it!!! Had to travel to a different city, but totally worth it.

image.php

SomTervo

I don't feel that is the case with Uncharted. Everything outside the combat is kind of below average.

That's so not true of Uncharted 4, though. Mechanically, the platforming is excellent, the climbing is excellent, the non-combat level design is excellent - the writing of ambient banter is excellent, the puzzles are good-not-great, the secrets and stuff to find is excellent, the exploration-for-exploration's sake is excellent.

It was definitely far weaker in UC1-3, hence why it was always a measured dose book-ended with plenty of combat. But as UC4 is currently, I can only see the quoted statement being true if you just expected and wanted wall-to-wall action the entire time and the presence of any exploration/platforming was a hindrance. But I doubt you are someone who expected that.

That's so not true of Uncharted 4, though. Mechanically, the platforming is excellent, the climbing is excellent, the non-combat level design is excellent - the writing of ambient banter is excellent, the puzzles are good-not-great, the secrets and stuff to find is excellent, the exploration-for-exploration's sake is excellent.

It was definitely far weaker in UC1-3, hence why it was always a measured dose book-ended with plenty of combat. But as UC4 is currently, I can only see the quoted statement being true if you just expected and wanted wall-to-wall action the entire time and the presence of any exploration/platforming was a hindrance. But I doubt you are someone who expected that.

I don't agree with the platforming We can chalk that up to taste and preference. Yes the platforming mechanics are improved, the rope is great. I like that they removed many of the out of place visual cues. Some platforming sections even add a little freedom. Still in the end it's basically an autopilot section where you simple guide drake to do the only thing he can do with little to no danger what so ever. To me the point of platforming is a test of reflexes and timing and that almost never happens in this game. There is a moment where you have to quickly go from sliding to roping to grabbing onto a ledge that's breaking. That's interesting platforming, the quick transitions, the threat of death, that happens far far too little. So they add all these elments but they aren't really used in any interesting way.

i don't agree on the secrets, the majority are still just random shit hidding in a corner. If the secretes were well hidden behind something you actually have to do to reach them then it becomes a cool gameplay moment. There are a few of those in the game, and with the inclusion of a car and ropes and improved exploration there should have been way more puzzle oriented secrets rather than just a thing sitting in a corner that you so happened to find. This is something that has been the same for all games in the series.

The rest I agree with, the openess is a welcome addition and beautifully done. The story is magnificent, a whole different level than past uncharted games, and the puzzles were fine. My issues aren't the puzzles, I still wish they were better but this isn't Zelda or anything so it's not a big deal. I just feel like an enhancement of puzzles would have been a nice addition to the improvements of this game. As it is I say it's on par with U3 and better than U2.

If the platforming and puzzles were enhanced I would have no issue. If the exploration lead to more interesting gameplay possibilities I wouldn't feel the game was hitting lulls when it entered those just walk around and inspect item sections.

MMaRsu

Banned
I got the Libertalia edition. Looks pretty sweet. Statue is allright.

Lol who is that guy supposed to be? Doesnt look like Drake at all ROFL

Fucking game statues man. Please stop buying them. Most of them are just plain shitty.

jwk94

MP Impressions:
- They got rid of the leveling system. Now you unlock weapons by completing requirements for them. So X/X long gun down for FAL, etc. You can see your progress in the very quick results screen after each match, but I'm not seeing a way to check whenever you feel like it.
- LOADS of customization options. Tons of pre-set costumes, hats, glasses, etc.
- You can use Uncharted points (microtransactions) to unlock stuff in the store directly or relics (earned in battle, trials, or by completing daily challenges) to open a chest which gives you a random item.
- Sidekicks talk now. They make noise when they fall from a high place, spot an enemy, and mark an enemy. There's also a female brute. Not really fond of her voice, but cool.
- Only played on the Island and a garden map so far.The garden map is really nice and has good places for firefights and open-field combat.

SomTervo

I don't agree with the platforming We can chalk that up to taste and preference. Yes the platforming mechanics are improved, the rope is great. I like that they removed many of the out of place visual cues. Some platforming sections even add a little freedom. Still in the end it's basically an autopilot section where you simple guide drake to do the only thing he can do with little to no danger what so ever. To me the point of platforming is a test of reflexes and timing and that almost never happens in this game. There is a moment where you have to quickly go from sliding to roping to grabbing onto a ledge that's breaking. That's interesting platforming, the quick transitions, the threat of death, that happens far far too little. So they add all these elments but they aren't really used in any interesting way.

i don't agree on the secrets, the majority are still just random shit hidding in a corner. If the secretes were well hidden behind something you actually have to do to reach them then it becomes a cool gameplay moment. There are a few of those in the game, and with the inclusion of a car and ropes and improved exploration there should have been way more puzzle oriented secrets rather than just a thing sitting in a corner that you so happened to find. This is something that has been the same for all games in the series.

The rest I agree with, the openess is a welcome addition and beautifully done. The story is magnificent, a whole different level than past uncharted games, and the puzzles were fine. My issues aren't the puzzles, I still wish they were better but this isn't Zelda or anything so it's not a big deal. I just feel like an enhancement of puzzles would have been a nice addition to the improvements of this game. As it is I say it's on par with U3 and better than U2.

If the platforming and puzzles were enhanced I would have no issue. If the exploration lead to more interesting gameplay possibilities I wouldn't feel the game was hitting lulls when it entered those just walk around and inspect item sections.

I guess you're seeing platforming as the 'challenge' of platforming, like platforming-as-combat. I'm seeing it more as a part of exploration.

I got some serious Shadow of the Colossus vibes while playing Uncharted 4, especially when the camera pulls back for a wide-angle shot. In Shadow of the Colossus, there is practically no gameplay benefit or reason to explore. There's a massive world there. And you only ever have one objective at a time, in one place at a time. There is essentially nothing to do in the massive world while you're not going to your objective or at an objective. Yet the 'platforming' and exploration is fucking amazing. You discover cool hidden towns/coves/secrets, little nooks and crannies that suggest really compelling history.

That's the sort of platforming and exploration I loved in Uncharted 4. Sure, it's not there necessarily to challenge you or compel you, but it's this really nice sense of adventure that it builds, especially when there are multiple routes and more open areas. It's the vibe, the sense of the experience, rather than the "act" of it in a methodical way.

To each their own, though. I definitely see what you're saying. It's a pity there isn't more Indiana Jones trap-style stuff in the game. That could have really gone places, though I suppose it would be derivative.

MP Impressions:
- They got rid of the leveling system. Now you unlock weapons by completing requirements for them. So X/X long gun down for FAL, etc. You can see your progress in the very quick results screen after each match, but I'm not seeing a way to check whenever you feel like it.
- LOADS of customization options. Tons of pre-set costumes, hats, glasses, etc.
- You can use Uncharted points (microtransactions) to unlock stuff in the store directly or relics (earned in battle, trials, or by completing daily challenges) to open a chest which gives you a random item.
- Sidekicks talk now. They make noise when they fall from a high place, spot an enemy, and mark an enemy. There's also a female brute. Not really fond of her voice, but cool.
- Only played on the Island and a garden map so far.The garden map is really nice and has good places for firefights and open-field combat.

Sounds fucking brilliant.

kyser73

Dammit.

I have to be up for work in 3h20m and I'm only on chapter two!!!

my first 'wow' moment at the Gfx? When the door to solitary swings open and the sunlight illuminates...Nate...I'm slightly overwhelmed by the level of detail on display in the environments too!

I guess you're seeing platforming as the 'challenge' of platforming, like platforming-as-combat. I'm seeing it more as a part of exploration.

I got some serious Shadow of the Colossus vibes while playing Uncharted 4, especially when the camera pulls back for a wide-angle shot. In Shadow of the Colossus, there is practically no gameplay benefit or reason to explore. There's a massive world there. And you only ever have one objective at a time, in one place at a time. There is essentially nothing to do in the massive world while you're not going to your objective or at an objective. Yet the 'platforming' and exploration is fucking amazing. You discover cool hidden towns/coves/secrets, little nooks and crannies that suggest really compelling history.

That's the sort of platforming and exploration I loved in Uncharted 4. Sure, it's not there necessarily to challenge you or compel you, but it's this really nice sense of adventure that it builds, especially when there are multiple routes and more open areas. It's the vibe, the sense of the experience, rather than the "act" of it in a methodical way.

To each their own, though. I definitely see what you're saying. It's a pity there isn't more Indiana Jones trap-style stuff in the game. That could have really gone places, though I suppose it would be derivative.

Sounds fucking brilliant.

I got you. I adore SOTC and I totally felt that while exploring that game. The difference for me is that exploration was built into the game, figuring out how to reach your objective is part of the gameplay. There is no figuring out how to get anywhere in Uncharted games, even with a multiple paths they all end up in the same place and there is no real thinking needed or challenge to reach it.

But I get the sense of adventure thing you speak of. Yeah uncharted 4 has that in spades. I spent hours just exploring in uncharted 4 because I love that stuff, I just wish it rewarded that exploration a bit more. But hey o got some stunning captures out of it.

jwk94

Did you play the beta? Player movement feels slightly slower in comparison...although it could just be my memory.

Yep I played both extensively. now that I think about it, player movement might be slower, but that Hunter is also slower and can be killed much faster so good tradeoff?

I found out how to see weapon unlock progress: you just need to go into loadouts and look at the weapons themselves. I don't know about booster's though.

SomTervo

I got you. I adore SOTC and I totally felt that while exploring that game. The difference for me is that exploration was built into the game, figuring out how to reach your objective is part of the gameplay. There is no figuring out how to get anywhere in Uncharted games, even with a multiple paths they all end up in the same place and there is no real thinking needed or challenge to reach it.

But I get the sense of adventure thing you speak of. Yeah uncharted 4 has that in spades. I spent hours just exploring in uncharted 4 because I love that stuff, I just wish it rewarded that exploration a bit more. But hey o got some stunning captures out of it.

At least some of the more badass treasures reward you with more 'unlock' points... Even if you can get all the good stuff after one playthrough :(

At least some of the more badass treasures reward you with more 'unlock' points... Even if you can get all the good stuff after one playthrough :(

There are different points assigned to treasures? That's pretty cool. Yeah I got enough points to unlock everything on my first go.

Man some of those modifiers, awesome stuff! I am going to replay encounters using all this stuff.

Lord Phol

How is this game for people who haven't played the other ones in the series? I played 1 and 2 but skipped 3. I also have a GF who likes the new Tomb Raider game (and The Last Of Us) who I believe would enjoy this game as well.

SomTervo

I just realised that I'm pretty sure loads of the (even small) cutscenes are skippable.

Starting to get more and more stoked about my Crushing playthrough...

Can anyone weigh in on the soundtrack for this game. Good? I know the composer for the 4th game has changed.

It's all about subtle and nuance this time around. It's not bombastic or over the top, which is bothering a lot of people. The music in UC4 is there to serve the tone of the moment you're experiencing, it's there to be part of the backdrop/scene, not stand out by itself.

It's very well composed, IMO. Some great stuff.

Top Bottom