• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aters

Is it that unacceptable to say UC3 has better story than UC2's?
I like 2 more overall but I'd rank UC3's story higher as well.

UC3 was a more ambitious story. It tried to link in a more interpersonal story with Drake's ring, his childhood, his obsession, together with a larger cast of characters, more personal stakes with the looming possibility of Sully's death, along with the usual secret organisation stuff.

But I think it's fair to say that execution wise? ...Not that great.

UC2 was a simpler story that was executed better. But the story itself doesn't have anywhere close the web of intrigue UC3 set out to do.

I'm about more than half way done with 4 so far and this how I'd rate the games.

Story:
UC3 > UC2 > UDF > UC4 = UGA

Gameplay:
UC4 > UC3 > UDF = UC2 > UGA

Puzzles:
UC4 = UC3 > UGA > UC2 > UDF

Something is not clicking with me regarding the story that I can't put my finger on.

What the fuck man. I swear people are just trolling at this point.

tumblr_o61kxcDHSu1slsalco2_500.gif

zkorejo

These puzzles, while by far the hardest in the series and very difficult for my intelligence level, are very creative and fun to tackle.

This has turned my excitement up a few levels. Always love a good puzzle. Really liked U3 puzzles.

I was not even thinking about the puzzles and other elements that have always been a part of Uncharted games. Its making the wait even harder.

UC3 was a more ambitious story. It tried to link in a more interpersonal story with Drake's ring, his childhood, his obsession, together with a larger cast of characters, more personal stakes with the looming possibility of Sully's death, along with the usual secret organisation stuff.

But I think it's fair to say that execution wise? ...Not that great.

UC2 was a simpler story that was executed better. But the story itself doesn't have anywhere close the web of intrigue UC3 set out to do.

U3 was sure intriguing but it went absolutely nowhere with all the intrigue it created with his childhood or his real life and his obsession as it explains nothing. Larger cast was useless since Chloe and Cutter leave abruptly after the first half and Elena replaces them in the 2nd. Its basically Adventure with Sully and Drake.

Speaking of the secret society stuff, even that was not explained well. Amy had to make several clarifications on the internet to explain some parts of the story.

A good story doesnt necessarily has to be complicated and deep. A simple well-told story is better than a deep story that is convoluted and remains unexplained.

Vire

Maybe it was because I was late to the boat with the Uncharted series and didn't get swept up in the immeasurable hype for Uncharted 3. Maybe it was because I played it after the aiming bug fix. I don't know..

But so much of that game is really memorable to me. Blue yeti monsters are dumb JC.

Tbh, unless the story falls off a cliff (I'm on Chapter 9 right now), I'm not sure how this isn't going to end up being the best one in the series story/character wise.

Then again, I never particularly considered the UC games to have good stories. Lots of good character moments but a fairly straight forward, basic plot that's executed fairly well. In some regards, UC4 is similar but like TLOU, puts a bigger emphasis on the characters.

This is some high praise, as TLOU is one my favorite games of all time. I am genuinly looking forward to reading your impressions after you will have progressed enough to justify you granting us some more of your time!

Good session!

Krakin

This guy really needs to learn how to edit. I stopped watching not because of potential spoilers, but because the spliced video footage constantly made absolutely no sense in the context of his talking points.

You and me both. Terrible stuff

The Lamp

My copy came in. Cross-posting my impressions since this thread was originally where people were posting them.

I've played through the first few chapters.

Here are some spoiler free impressions.

Thoughts:
- the intro should not be compared to TLOU. It's its own thing, trying to do its own thing. Is it great? Yes, but different, and it's hard for me to compare. A little too hyped IMO.
- the first few chapters/intro is intentionally slow compared to what comes later, meant to ease you into this universe and the gameplay. But it's enjoyable.
- More than any other game in the series, the cinematics are phenomenal. The game is incredibly cinematic now. The line between cutscenes and gameplay is so blurred that it's almost like one continuous movie.
- The gameplay is more open than ever, yet you always conveniently end up where you need to be. It's like they perfectly designed the levels to feel like you're naturally exploring deeply on your own but you end up where you need to.
- The Melee combat is not as complicated as U3 felt with all the different button combos and shit, you just punch and evade and the environment plays a part, but it's smooth and cinematic, intended to just look like movie Melee combat. But every attack you pull could look different with all the animations and environment factors.
- The graphics are UNREAL WHAT IN THE FUCK THIS LOOKS LIKE A CG MOVIE. Like this game doesn't even need PS4 Neo it's so smooth and beautiful.
- when all the uncharted gameplay elements kick in, it finally feels "oh shit awesome" and it's more exhilarating and fun than any action movie scene ever.
- no crazy set pieces yet (I'm not far at all though) but the graphics and gameplay are so smooth, refined and polished that it is enjoyable.
- character motives and development are much more fleshed out and realistic here than any other Uncharted game.
- the gun combat is SO FUCKING GOOD. The third person combat is not as perfectly smooth as MGSV, because there's still Uncharted jank with moving around cover and getting stuck on the environment, but the guns themselves feel great and the combat is so cinematic.
Teeny spoiler
- there is an Easter egg that literally dropped my jaw.

Another thing they haven't fixed since TLOU is the immersion breaking partner AI. They still stomp around like a motherfucker in stealth segments in plain sight :l

So far from the 5 hours you have played, would you say there's been "OMG!!!!! This gaaeemmmmmmeee" moments?

On a scale from 1-10, how much would you say is in the game from what ND has shown us across the three gameplay demonstrations(PSX, E3 and the previews last month)? Has there been so much shit you saw that you couldn't even fathom was in the game?

I'm about 5 hours in too.

None of what I have played has been mindblowing scenes or set pieces. Just very grounded, realistic ideas and scenarios. But they're executed and designed so well, so fun and polished, and the cutscenes and script and characters are so good that I am enjoying it.

What's been wowing me is the graphics, not the areas or what I'm doing.

I'm finally getting into some good traversal/exploration gameplay and it's not as great and open as ND was selling it yet but im just 5 hours in and probably just whetting my appetite with a salad before the main dish.

Most of what I'm playing was never shown in demos. It's great.

Do I play this on normal or hard? If Normal is just a little challenging, I might be OK with starting on it since I'm going to be replaying this game minimal 3 times by the looks of it.

I'm finding hard great. It's almost a little too easy for a "hard" more but I'm just at the beginning and I'm liking the challenge balance in this mode.

I think some of your concerns about it not being open enough might be related to difficulty unless you simply aren't far enough (chapter 9 atleast).

I've found the encounters to be incrediby open. And I have barely tried to stealth through them. Just roping and drop kicking fools all day.

The Lamp

I think some of your concerns about it not being open enough might be related to difficulty unless you simply aren't far enough (chapter 9 atleast).

I've found the encounters to be incrediby open. And I have barely tried to stealth through them. Just roping and drop kicking fools all day.

I'm still in chapter 8 and I'm playing on Hard, so we will see what ND has to offer soon I guess :)

The Lamp

I'm actually laughing at the attention to detail in animation.

I took a screen of Nathan holding onto his partner AI's shoulders, with his feet planted on the back of their knees, because there's no room on the ledge for both of them to grab LMAO. He even shifts his weight between the two knees and shoulders and the AI looks to be struggling to hold him.

Javin98

Banned
So is Hard totally doable on the first playthrough? As in, are the combat encounters still a blast to play? Seeing so many posters here already having a copy makes me jelly. I will only be able to play next weekend. :(

- the first few chapters/intro is intentionally slow compared to what comes later, meant to ease you into this universe and the gameplay. But it's enjoyable.

It is better like that with an escalating tempo rather a bombastic intense intro and then later the game pacing slows down to something less impressive thereby the spark becomes dimmer cough ...
GOW3
...cough

I took a screen of Nathan holding onto his partner AI's shoulders, with his feet planted on the back of their knees, because there's no room on the ledge for both of them to grab LMAO. He even shifts his weight between the two knees and shoulders and the AI looks to be struggling to hold him.

Seems funny. Can you post the pic?

zsynqx

Try aiming your weapon at an ally for a decent amount of time, and see if they react.

Love stuff like that.

Quoted the wrong post, bruh? :p

haha my bad

PLS ND don't let Sony ruin the epic finish of the series by making a movie about it even if it is CGI. Let it rest in peace with the best memories for all fans.

AKyemeni

So is Hard totally doable on the first playthrough? As in, are the combat encounters still a blast to play? Seeing so many posters here already having a copy makes me jelly. I will only be able to play next weekend. :(
I just finished a playthru on hard. I definitely don't recommend it unless you're consistent with headshots. You'll be doing alot less cool melee moves cuz its mostly suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom