• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 street date broken as thieves steal copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rixxan

That all sounds awful, naughty dog need to realise that games are made to be played, all that matters is gameplay not shitty story. The game better but gameplay as the focus rather than story, make it like TLOU where there's a mediocre little story to keep one going but great gameplay and level design.

Duckmann needs to stick to movies or books if he wants to write stories, a game directed by Straley alone, a dude that understands good gameplay would be so damn good. UC4 sounding very story driven which just ain't right. Regretting the deluxe edition big time with the games feedback so far.

druckmann/stanley are the kings of interweaving story and gameplay, they are single handedly pushing the medium forward with their approach to story in games

so yeah, troll on i guess

That all sounds awful, naughty dog need to realise that games are made to be played, all that matters is gameplay not shitty story. The game better but gameplay as the focus rather than story, make it like TLOU where there's a mediocre little story to keep one going but great gameplay and level design.

Duckmann needs to stick to movies or books if he wants to write stories, a game directed by Straley alone, a dude that understands good gameplay would be so damn good. UC4 sounding very story driven which just ain't right. Regretting the deluxe edition big time with the games feedback so far.
Is this for real, or are you just fucking with us?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

But the reason TLOU felt so good is because the characters felt real and not just a prop for our guns. It adds a layer of emotion that informs the moment to moment gameplay.

Character > Story > Gameplay. That's the ND way and the reason they're now at the top of the tree.

Lol, this has to be a joke.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Lol wtf is this?

You realize games can have both right?

barit

Poor attempt for being funny. (At least I hope you're)

But the reason gameplay in TLOU felt so good is because the characters felt real and not just a prop for our guns.

Nope, the gameplay was so good. I couldn't care less about the story, the epilogue was awful and was bored through out. It took time but the game picked up gameplay wise and loved it.

Im not just going by the post I quoted btw, it's the impressions I've heard about it being a slow burner which is not great to hear. The PSX demo suckered me into getting the game as I thought there would be lots of those open moments, if we get that then great but would be annoying if there's parts like the jeep section they showed some weeks ago which was story mostly.

I shouldn't make it out that £50 is leaving me in tears, I'm happy to have paid for the game and co-op alone would make me happy. But I had very high hopes for UC4, but it does not sound like my cuppa tea with these impressions. I'll just judge for myself when the game comes out anyway, gaming media ain't exactly great at telling you about the quality when the witcher 3, which I find difficult to call a game got 9's despite having gameplay a retarded monkey could have done a better job with.

eso76

Here is something I posted over on reddit since I have access there from work. Not really gameplay spoilers or anything but how this game is really resonating with me on a personal level.

Wtf is that man, cut the crap and tell us about dem graphics and is Elena barefoot a lot.

:p

Good read, I'm kind of in the same situation, my girl being 3 and me being past my adventurous days. Maybe.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

Why would you buy this game then if Angry Birds already exists?

Raylan

Banned

What the hell are you even talking about?
And TLOU with a medicore story? lmao

Simply buy different games then, of different studios. Problem solved.

.... despite having gameplay a retarded monkey could have done a better job with.
Seriously, ....what's wrong with you?

Venom Fox

Banned
Why would you buy this game then if Angry Birds already exists?
Lmao.

To the guy who apparently doesmt knkw what a story is.

You lost me at the part about TLOU having a mediocre story. Like, I will never take what you say seriously any more...

Games can have brilliant gameplay and an engaging story. The two aren't exclusive but yet you talk like they are.
As someone mentioned above, Bruce and Neil are pushing the medium forwards all the time and what they do is fantastic.

GnawtyDog

Banned

How can this be interpreted other than a troll post? Doesn't even properly respond to the quoted individual.

Kolx

Nope, the gameplay was so good. I couldn't care less about the story, the epilogue was awful and was bored through out. It took time but the game picked up gameplay wise and loved it.

Im not just going by the post I quoted btw, it's the impressions I've heard about it being a slow burner which is not great to hear. The PSX demo suckered me into getting the game as I thought there would be lots of those open moments, if we get that then great but would be annoying if there's parts like the jeep section they showed some weeks ago which was story mostly.

I shouldn't make it out that £50 is leaving me in tears, I'm happy to have paid for the game and co-op alone would make me happy. But I had very high hopes for UC4, but it does not sound like my cuppa tea with these impressions. I'll just judge for myself when the game comes out anyway, gaming media ain't exactly great at telling you about the quality when the witcher 3, which I find difficult to call a game got 9's despite having gameplay a retarded monkey could have done a better job with.

Your whole post contain only one point that makes sense to me, and it's not even about a ND game.

dc89

OUC0J.gif

Gurish

Your whole post contain only one point that makes sense to me, and it's not even about a ND game.

C'mon TW3 is maybe not BB but the gameplay is not that bad, if the game was more balanced with the levels and equipment so it could be a little more challenging I would quite enjoy this aspect.

It wasn't horrible by any mean that's for sure, suggesting it's hardly a game is a joke.

C'mon TW3 is maybe not BB but the gameplay is not that bad, if the game was more balanced with the levels and equipment so it could be a little more challenging I would quite enjoy this aspect.

It wasn't horrible by any mean that's for sure, suggesting it's hardly a game is a joke.
Agreed, The Witcher 3s combat is fantastic.

Krakin

druckmann/stanley are the kings of interweaving story and gameplay, they are single handedly pushing the medium forard with their approach to story in games

so yeah, troll on i guess

They're not doing it on their own. We must remember ND is a team.

Is this for real?

Come on, man. People play games for all sorts of different reasons. Naughty Dog makes games for players who enjoy a strong story to carry the action. Don't play it if you don't like that.

Go play something else if you want a different experience.

Raptor

Drunk posting bruh?

Sucks ass. Literally everything but pictures. Nothing like the infamous ss early release where the pictures hyped everyone more to get the game.

Ehh, it's not so bad. With some discipline (such as not clicking on spoilers), I'm getting some decently filtered early impressions of the game sans spoilers. I've been worried about Uncharted 4 (what with 3's relative backslide, and 4's protracted development)... it's nice to get the reassurance of seemingly universally positive impressions so far!

That's me though.

How is the level design of the larger non-set-piece type battles?

Smaller = just the odd guy you have to kill while traversing the environment linearly.

Set piece = some crazy pre-determined sequence (even if there is some freedom in how to approach them) -- such as the entire E3 gameplay demo.

Larger, non-set-piece = "regular" major battle, such as the various snowy village battles in U2, shipyard battle in U3, etc.

---

The questions, more specifically, about the latter: Is there tactical freedom? Is there a lot of verticality / unexpectedly designed battle arenas? Is it more similar to Uncharted 2 (very vertical, tactical) or Uncharted 3 (flat, lots of enemy "waves")?

(I've always loved the set pieces in 2 and 3, of course. Everyone does. And the E3 demo made it clear this wasn't going to change. But it was the meat-and-potatoes battling level design that made Uncharted 2 such a complete and bad-ass all-around game. The game wasn't just all flashiness... there was substance too. Uncharted 3 was a real step back on this front.)

Finally, Uncharted 2 was really heavily skewed towards action/shooting. Uncharted 3 added quite a lot more adventuring (puzzles and exploration) into the mix. Is 4 more like 2 or 3? Feel free to spoiler-tag the answer to that (but don't put actual spoilers in there!).

P.S. The recent Madagascar previews suggested that there are REALLY big areas which can be approached however you want, almost like in open-world games like Far Cry 3. Does the intensity of the non-set-piece battles suffer from this level of openness? Or are there both U2-ish large areas and the Madagascar-like huge areas?

Let me ask the above again. Anyone/Bueller/etc.?

sense

They don't need to realize anything. Their games are received well and sell well and there is a good chunk of people who dig a good story even if the game play is not up to par which is not going to be the case anyway as far as this game is concerned. The gameplay shown so far seems good enough.

Hate when people say shit like somebody should stick to movies or books if they want to write stories. Why can't a game have a good story? i personally don't care for games that don't have a story or have a bad story no matter how great the gameplay is. I need a decent story to keep me interested to finish a game. i want to be part of a game that has an engaging story which cannot be replicated by watching a movie or reading a book

SomTervo

75 pages to late for that ro happen

Ruh ro!

Let me ask the above again. Anyone/Bueller/etc.?

1. I think you already have your answer. Watch the long Madagascar gameplay videos or the jungle combat video and imagine all the routes/strategies you can use.

2. This is apparently the longest Uncharted game, possibly by far. There are probably tons of combat segments of all three types as you define.

zsynqx

Foxes on reddit (spoiler free impressions dude)

"I've finished the game at 18 hours. Took my time and enjoyed the experience!"

"It gets a 10/10 from me. Other opinions may vary?"

"On par with tlou. Perhaps a little better."

Responding to

"No worries! Did the story and gameplay through stay engaging? I've noticed that a lot of the uncharteds go downhill near the end of the game"

Foxes said

"The story stayed consistent, and the gameplay the same. The end was great!"

^Oh boy...

So I was just watching the unboxing of one of the press kits and I think I'm going to cancel my pre-order for the Libertalia edition because I feel like I'm getting jipped XD
It looks so good and they get a f-ing backpack (Would have been a perfect replacement for the inFamous 2 bag) and a passport/document leather. A poster with the steelbook art, the pirate coin (that's a pre-order bonus at certain retailers -_-) and the art book which honest to good has more pages than the one you get in the Libertalia edition.

This is some BS, I'm just going to stick to the normal edition and get the season pass at a later date.

Gurish

Another thing- it took him 18 hours and he only found 60/109 treasures, meaning he was probably exploring but not very throughly, so if you will search for any nook and cranny it will probably take you even longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom