• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_rus

I'm not.

Going back and looking at PS3 release games compared to U3/TLoU/Tomb Raider...

Consoles fidelity increases as the gen goes on. This gen will be no different.

Actually it may be somewhat different.
UC4 can be the maximum of graphics in this generation reached on the second year of it's existence. This is because of PS4 being very easy to work with and having almost no bottlenecks which devs should learn to avoid.

t_wilson01

Can I go into cryogenic freeze until this comes out?

That was funny. Good thing you didn't say that in reference to TLG.

Yeah. Nowadays it's more about how much you have talent and money at your disposal than about pure horsepower when it comes to graphics. There is jsut so much that you can do even with these this gen consoles. That is why I think consoles are going keep up with PCs in terms of graphics for sometime. No PC developers have the amount of money (well Valve and Blizzard have but they target low end hardware) to pour in the their games as first party studios at MS and Sony.

You are forgetting that PC games are written to an API and not the hardware, so we'll never see what a high end PC could truly be capable of.

They're great at their job, but this looks beyond pretty much anything else we've seen, by a LONG shot and, again, running at 60 fps.
They're not wizards.

did you see Last of Us on the PS3? It's not a stretch that they could ramp it up on the PS4 to this level. The engine they designed they built I believe for U3 it to works on the PS4 so they aren't having to build a ton of new tools.

I bet this isn't even polished all the way.

Portugeezer

Guys can you please explain to me what does it mean "real time - in engine"?

I know that in-engine by itself doesn't mean much, cause it suggest that they took the engine and ran it on a much more powerful hardware offline and really pushed it far beyond the PS4 strength and than made it into MKV file and just played it on PS4 as a cut scene that doesn't really run in real time.

But in - engine and real-time suggest that the PS4 actually do runs it and it wasn't rendered offline, but why they are still putting the term "in engine" in there, why they are not saying just "real time" if the game actually look like this.

I find it fishy and i still can't believe them sorry, this is just too good to be true, a giant leap above anything we've seen in gaming, I would like someone to explain this to me.

The 3D graphics were being rendered by the PS4.

OmegaMan

Neo Member
It's funny how no one even questioned whether this was cg or not because it looked so damn good. Now that the naughty gods have spoken though and revealed that it's all in real time, everybody's mind is fucking BLOWN!!!

Mo'fuggin ballin.

cerny2.png

FTF

Simply incredible.

Can't wait for the first full trailer and/or gameplay clips, which will hopefully be by the end of the year.

ok? Not sure that's relevant to anything that I said.

You can't optimize to this level with a constantly changing hardware target, and that's the main problem I've always had with PC games (and I've built PC gaming rigs for myself for 15 years). Sure, the best PC hardware is incredibly powerful, but you'll never get a game that's coded to use every ounce of power that's available for it.

Carn82

I wasn't even sure it was supposed to be drake at first. They changed him up quite a bit.

I think it's more the case of a stylised/cartoony design evolving into something a bit more lifelike. Still stylised though, which somehow makes it avoid the uncanny valley.

Respawn

Banned
Yes. And in this case, the PS4 being used was rendering that in-engine cutscene in real-time. It was not a pre-rendered video in any way, shape or form. "Real-time" does not necessarily mean in-game playable elements.

These comments are going to get lost but if you read the thread it will look the same. The transition is seamless like the order. Shinobi's twitter post pretty much says it.

lmbotiva

UC4 can be the maximum of graphics in this generation reached on the second year of it's existence. This is because of PS4 being very easy to work with and having almost no bottlenecks which devs should learn to avoid.
there will always be progression when it comes to coding on the same hardware, forget about the ps3/ps4 for a moment and the whole more easy to code, remember gears of war 1 on the 360? yes? now look at gears of war 3 and according to devs the 360 was easier to code, games will always look better as time passes because devs will find better ways to use the consoles hardware

Carn82

There will always be improvements, but they might not be leaps and bounds later on in the life cycle.

Dr.Acula

Banned
SMH.....so you’re saying Naughty Dog is lying? They are saying its in-game, not in-engine, meaning that the footage you saw will seamlessly transfer to controllable gameplay.

What? A dev show a video at E3 and have the visuals downgraded at release? I've never heard of such a thing.

Remember all the UC3 Chloe before/afters that had people freaking out for a thousand posts?

UC4 may look as good as this in gameplay when it's released, but I'm not going to be surprised if there's a downgradeton. Killzone, Madden, watch_dogs, this happens EVERY TIME people.

TyrantII

Don't forget ICE will still be working with other teams on optimization, dialing down the API's, and at the same time the OS footprint (both in terms of ram and APU usage) will be freed up as they get a handle on what they don't need.

Simply put, U3 or TLoU wasn't even possible on a launch PS3 with the original firmware. It was once they shrank the OS and updated the API's.

Maybe not exponential leaps, but a linear progression like last gen is not out of the question.

Many people also think this is going to be a 5-6 year gen as well. Takes some heat off them.

Darknight

We need a response from this individual. He should of made the thread yesterday....would of been amazing!

its hilarious how you guys keep falling for this CG bullshit. In engine simply means exactly that, Another way of skirting around saying pre rendered using the games engine.

should I go ahead and create the gfx downgrade disappointment thread now or later?

On topic: I trusted ND. I knew it wasnt some bullshot. Hail Naughty Dog.

Respawn

Banned
What? A dev show a video at E3 and have the visuals downgraded at release? I've never heard of such a thing.

Remember all the UC3 Chloe before/afters that had people freaking out for a thousand posts?

UC4 may look as good as this in gameplay when it's released, but I'm not going to be surprised if there's a downgradeton. Killzone, Madden, watch_dogs, this happens EVERY TIME people.

Killzone was not downgraded :/

Gurish

The 3D graphics were being rendered by the PS4.
OK?
You didn't really explain why they are still using the term "in engine" and what does it mean in that regard.

If this is how the game will look, If this is gameplay graphics, all they need to say is "real time" or even better- "real time - in game", why they are adding this "in engine" thing.

I want them to show me they control Drake seamlessly when he enters the jungle before i believe any of this, i think it's all PR and playing with words until then, i feel sorry for people who believe this is how the gameplay will look.

xaosslug

What have other devs been doing? Are Naughty Dog really this far ahead of everyone else?

well, I think NOW they are waking up to the gravity of the situation, and probably throwing any throwing any of ideas 'parity' for the sake of parity under the bus and going full-steam ahead... if that means leaving the xbone version 'in the dust' then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom