• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Trailer runs in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr_rus

And the 360 then? Also saw gigantic graphical leap in its lifetime.

PS4 has tricks up its sleeve like gpgpu, it has 8 ACEs for 64 compute jobs, games haven't really taken advantages of compute yet, doubt any of these will be fully exploited anytime soon.
Contrary to the popular belief 360 wasn't simple to work with. Edram, in-order PowerPC cores with SMT, common memory controller for CPU and GPU and some stuff in GPU which was the first implementation of unified shader ALUs on mass market. It was easier than PS3 but it wasn't easy. And even with that I wouldn't call a graphical jump from GeoW to say Halo 4 very big.

8 ACEs should be transparent to the developer - all code running on the GPU use them by default no matter if it's graphics code or some general purpose code. Compute isn't free, it's running on the same GPU SIMDs. Using compute means that you have less flops available for graphics shaders. It's a balance, it may shift and result in a better graphics but for now there is no guarantee that it will bring better graphics and not say better AI or sound.

Gurish

If this is truly how the gameplay will look (really really doubt that) this is the jump I've been waiting for ever since I saw MGS2 running on PS2, nothing on PS3/360 blew my mind even close to what we are seeing here.

This will be one of the biggest jumps alongside the DC/PS2/GC/XB gen in my book.

Again, i can't believe this.

viveks86

Yeah so as cool as this sounds, nothing else we have seen on any system has anything with graphics that compare to these. So I'm not sure how this is possible. Everything we've seen so far seems really nice but nowhere near the leap this is. Take Infamous for example, it looks fantastic and couldn't be done on the ps3, but this uncharted footage seems like one step above that. I just don't see how. I really hope so but I have to be skeptical.

So you are saying what Naughty Dog pulled off in a real time cutscene of a linear game is a step above what Sucker Punch pulled off in an open world game during gameplay. And that's hard to believe? *Scratches head*

Fredrik

Insane level of character detail, water physics, sand deformation, vegetation physics, no visable polygon edges anywhere, perfect AA, in 1080p...

...at 60fps.

Sorry, I'm a big fan of Naughty Dog and their former wizardry but I just can't believe this is in engine realtime rendered. No way. I believe it when I see it on my own TV, the infamous Motorstorm, Killzone target render disappointment still hurt too much. Don't want that kind of disappointment again.

bombshell

When the Destiny PS4 comes out, it'll be white magic.

We'll see. Looks pretty jank to me atm.

White magic.

XPO.jpg

Sorry, I'm a big fan of Naughty Dog and their former wizardry but I just can't believe this is in engine realtime rendered. No way. I believe it when I see it on my own TV, the infamous Motorstorm, Killzone target render disappointment still hurt too much. Don't want that kind of disappointment again.

ND were accused of faking their original Uncharted trailer also .And then the final game ended up looking better, which of course meant that it sequels blew away the supposed faked trailer that they released.

That's pretty incredible. I still think they will tone it down a notch though for the actual gameplay. REALLY curious what AA solution they are supposed to be using considering it looks so ridiculous clean (especially little things like the fly).

edotlee

Source 1:
They (Naughty Dog’s Studio Coordinator Rodney Reece and Lead FX Artist Keith Guerrette) confirmed to us that the Uncharted 4 trailer showcased during Sony’s E3 2014 press conference was a part of an actual level in game. Secondly, they also confirmed that the entire trailer was running in real time on the PlayStation 4 and it was all in-engine.
http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4s-trailer-was-a-part-of-an-actual-level-in-the-game-was-all-in-engine

fl51ee5add.jpg

three words come to mind

bull...fricking...shite.

cant wait for ND to join the ranks of Ubi as downgrade central. No offense to PS4, i own it and love it, but to stomp a mudhole in PC graphics achievement is just asnine.

Feel sorry for anyone who believes this is in game, real time.

Iztli

I believe them when they say it's all in real time. What I don't believe... Is how Nathans hair is still perfectly in shape and not wet. I mean, I just don't get it :/

I'm optimistic but I won't be OMG THE NAUGHTY GODS ARE REAL until I see the HUD pop up and rotate the camera and see Drake rendered at that same fidelity.

Unless I am reading this wrong...it still does not mean gameplay.

Well first she says in-game implying it's gameplay, but then she says in-engine, which would imply it's just like every other Uncharted.

I think I might have gotten all excited for nothing LOL. I just think she probably doesn't know the difference between the two words.....

First The Order outclasses everything and now we have this insanity. I honestly did not think we were getting visuals that looked so incredible this gen.

It's truly staggering

yup and just saw the Bloodborne footage too. Absolutely did not expect that level of graphics. The cloth physics, the environment, the detail. Just incredible. And all three of these games hit us next year. my god.

#GreatnessAwaits

Hedja

Wow, I said bullshit 5 times reading that title. Sony always lie about bullshots, this isn't anything new.

At best, they played back a pre-rendered video in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's kind of funny. Most everyone predicted Uncharted was going to crush everything on consoles at E3. It happened, exactly as we all predicted, and everyone is STILL mindfucked by it.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Wow, I said bullshit 5 times reading that title. Sony always lie about bullshots, this isn't anything new.

At best, they played back a pre-rendered video in-engine, in-game, in realtime on a single PS4 at 1080p60.

three words come to mind

bull...fricking...shite.

cant wait for ND to join the ranks of Ubi as downgrade central. No offense to PS4, i own it and love it, but to stomp a mudhole in PC graphics achievement is just asnine.

Feel sorry for anyone who believes this is in game, real time.

giphy-5.gif

skybald

I don't even know what to say. Makes Second Soon and Killzone look like amateur programmers had a good run. Holy shite

Say what?

I remember a few months back when supposed bullshots of Second Son were released and then came the game and looked even better.

Hoje0308

Banned
You just made it seem they're the only ones pushing the envelope, and not devs like ND or GG. As far as I can see ND has managed to render a scene in real time at 1080p60 that far exceeds anything we've seen, and on a 2TF console with a tablet CPU. Of course they figured out new shit.

You need to work on remembering what I was replying to. You said that all PC devs would do is brute force the extra power, while I simply pointed out two of the devs that would push the technology. And again, you have no proof that ND is doing anything new. They're able to optimize on hardware that isn't at all a moving target. And you also don't know that a PC game won't look like that before it releases. Your "argument" relies on nothing more than assumptions that conveniently can't be proven wrong for another year. Again, when PCs that are 3-5 times more powerful than a PS4 are readily available, you will see a noticeable gap.

It's kind of funny. Most everyone predicted Uncharted was going to crush everything on consoles at E3. It happened, exactly as we all predicted, and everyone is STILL mindfucked by it.

It crushed everything on anything. Its unbelievable.

What the hell is SSM gonna do with PS4? Quantic Dream? we are not prepared o__O

Fredrik

ND were accused of faking their original Uncharted trailer also .And then the final game ended up looking better, which of course meant that it sequels blew away the supposed faked trailer that they released.
Yeah but still. This in 1080p at 60fps? What are the other first party devs doing? Why is Driveclub, Order, Second Son 30fps? Lazy devs? Aren't Sony's devs supposed to share their engine techs?

Loudninja

ND games were some of the top graphically on the PS3.

I except the same here, even Suckerpunch crushed on the PS4 and that was not long after launch.

sony has stepped away from bullshots/fakeness since they got burned by killzone 2 in 2006, and even then that game turned out to be a feat.

Well if you look at The Order, it looks amazing even for a studio's first try at a major console game. And that's real time, 100% legit gameplay.

With all of ND's tech experience it's entirely possible that that trailer is rendered in real time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

You actually can't even playback video on PS4 so...

Well if you look at The Order, it looks amazing even for a studio's first try at a major console game. And that's real time, 100% legit gameplay.

With all of ND's tech experience it's entirely possible that that trailer is rendered in real time.

Logic and reasoning? No place for that kind of stuff here

viveks86

The facial animation really is unbelievable. I can't believe it's done entirely by hand. I can only assume they heavily reference recorded footage from the mocap sessions. :p It's just stupid lifelike.

If that were the case, then mad props for the actors as well. A lot of them suck at this type of subtlety

Hoje0308

Banned

So, the Ubi devs are also lying via Twitter? Corrine Yu is lying to what end, exactly? ND as a whole is pulling the wool over our eyes to satisfy the wishes of their evil overlords? Your statement is so ridiculously ignorant that it's barely even worth responding to. Provide proof or shut the hell up.

PS: If you're really saying "bullshit" while reading a thread title, then you need to work on anger management, in addition to your reasoning skills.

Yeah but still. This in 1080p at 60fps? What are the other first party devs doing? Why is Driveclub, Order, Second Son 30fps? Lazy devs? Aren't Sony's devs supposed to share their engine techs?

The game is still a year off, while the others you've mentioned are either out or are close to release. Any improvements ND have made to their tech can't be shared with the former, while the latter may be too developed to incorporate new technology. I'm sure the more technically literate members here can clarify and elaborate.

G-Bus

Banned
Eh, I'll wait for actual gameplay.

Have a hard time accepting the game will look like that when everything else out there doesn't come close.

Loudninja

Yep The Order might be the top graphically until Uncharted releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom