• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - 3D screenshot and artwork from next GI

theBishop

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
That's actually an upgrade from the original trailer. The E3 trailer's main character didn't have bones in his hands.

:O

When Jason slams the dude against the wall and punches him in the face in the trailer, its the just about the most viceral thing i've seen in a video game.

It would be pretty awesome if he would wince a little bit from hurting his hand on the dude's face. The animations in the game are incredible.

AAK

theBishop said:
When Jason slams the dude against the wall and punches him in the face in the trailer, its the just about the most viceral thing i've seen in a video game.

It would be pretty awesome if he would wince a little bit from hurting his hand on the dude's face. The animations in the game are incredible.

Makes you wonder.... can Guerilla games top these guys?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AAK said:
Makes you wonder.... can Guerilla games top these guys?
Killzone had pretty damn good animations, especially in the context sensitive stuff (melee attacks, climbing ladders, sliding down ladders, jumping into a gunner, etc) and the gun reload animations. I havent played jak & daxter for a long while, but from what I hear naughty dog is no slouch in the animation department either.

As for all out graphics (not just animation), it's really hard to determine that even with comparison shots due to the art being so different and one is a TPS and the other is a FPS. But I think some would agree with me, killzone ps3 must look better than anything else on the 1st/2nd/3rd party scene, atleast on the day it comes out. :p

Busty

Banned
bud said:
Look at the hand...you can even see the bones :eek:

MAN ALIVE! Good eyes. I'm usually quite observant about such things but I missed that.

That is impressive. I honestly can't see how anyone can say, with a straight face, that this game looks mediocore.

Though we have no idea one way or another at the moment, I think this game will surprise people in terms of how it plays. Looks to me, and this is pure speculation, that it could play like a faster paced Resident Evil 4.

Which I feel, is a good thing.

Somehow I think after this game is released we're going to see even more of this...

http://members.cosplay.com/costume/77769/

980539.jpg

I am a male version of Lara Croft.
I'm not a woman, so I have adapted Lara Croft on a male, and James Croft was born.

It's nice to see Sony thinking about the female gamers out there for once, but I for one find myself wanting for T&A immediately after seeing a jungle background...

Kolgar

Lighting differences aside, this looks pretty faithful to the E3 trailer. Color me surprised.

If most PS3 games result in this level of quality relative to the infamous E3 CGI trailers, I'll have to cut Sony some slack on those movies and congratulate them on having great hardware and great devs.

(I won't mention the big elephant in the room *cough* Killzone.) :)

Bad_Boy said:
Killzone had pretty damn good animations, especially in the context sensitive stuff (melee attacks, climbing ladders, sliding down ladders, jumping into a gunner, etc) and the gun reload animations. I havent played jak & daxter for a long while, but from what I hear naughty dog is no slouch in the animation department either.

As for all out graphics (not just animation), it's really hard to determine that even with comparison shots due to the art being so different and one is a TPS and the other is a FPS. But I think some would agree with me, killzone ps3 must look better than anything else on the 1st/2nd/3rd party scene, atleast on the day it comes out. :p
I think the enviroment's detail and vehicles are what made the killzone trailer so great outside of the animations. The actual character models didn't look like insansely detailed models once the guys touch down on the ground but the close up of the soldiers when flying in were top-notch low budget cg film quality.

I think they could achieve a game thats a graphics benchmark for at least half a year if they pull it off correctly just off its presentation as making you believe you're really in a futuristic war.

Busty

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
God I want GDC to happen soon.

Though we know Phil Harrison will have stuff to show, do we have an idea of what to expect at GDC?

Luke and Shane on 1up Yours hinted that it wouldn't be a 'blow out', while other places have gone as far as to hint that Harrison may have two big announcements to make at GDC.

While I know it may all be speculation, do we at least have any idea what to expect? One announcement, no announcements........

The reason I ask is though with EGM getting PS3 Ratchett and Clank and GI getting Uncharted, would Sony unveil anything new at GDC or just use it as a place to showcase some new tech, such as the Eye3 or the this new Game Video sharing that was talked about ages ago?

Either way, it seems Sony is finally ready to open up about what it's doing.

bud

things i expect from gdc:

- $300 price drop
- killzone2 to be bundled with the ps3
- 500k free consoles for japan
- cancellation of eu ps3 launch (007 am cry)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bud said:

- $300 price drop

Indifferent2.gif

Sorry Bud. It's just too funny pointing that out to you.

Sony had E3 downsized just in case people don't think Killzone is identical with the trailer:D

j/k but either way, GDC and E3 will be big for Sony, can't wait

n0b

Character detail is up(Though they seem to be developing some nasty next gen skin conditions :p), environmental detail and shadow detail is down. Even though some things are improved, its definately down from the original.

CassidyIzABeast said:
I think the enviroment's detail and vehicles are what made the killzone trailer so great outside of the animations. The actual character models didn't look like insansely detailed models once the guys touch down on the ground but the close up of the soldiers when flying in were top-notch low budget cg film quality.

I think they could achieve a game thats a graphics benchmark for at least half a year if they pull it off correctly just off its presentation as making you believe you're really in a futuristic war.
Character models weren't insanely detailed when they touched down? o_O The only thing that ever seemed beleivable to me was the environment.

bud said:

- $300 price drop

My thougts on what you are expecting:

Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif
Indifferent2.gif

Busty

Banned
bud said:

- $300 price drop
- The PS3 joins the cast of LOST as a handsome member of the 'Others' vying for the attentions of Kate.

Fixed for abstract humour.

Ceb

Busty said:
The reason I ask is though with EGM getting PS3 Ratchett and Clank and GI getting Uncharted, would Sony unveil anything new at GDC or just use it as a place to showcase some new tech, such as the Eye3 or the this new Game Video sharing that was talked about ages ago?

Or a PSP redesign.

Busty

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
... who really cares about that? :D

I want muh KILLZONE!

I think it's more likely we'll see near final builds of Heavenly Sword and Lair (with more of that giant sea monster from the GI article), a new unannounced game from a first party (SOCOM PS3?), some download games (If Warhawk is or isn't in fact a PSN game) and a tech demonstration showing the Eye3 working with a first party game designed especially for it.

Then in March we get EGM showing PS3 Ratchett and Clank and GI showing Uncharted.

In April it's Sony's Gamer's Day.

Then later in the summer we have the new look E3.

Kittonwy

Banned
Busty said:
I think it's more likely we'll see near final builds of Heavenly Sword and Lair (with more of that giant sea monster from the GI article), a new unannounced game from a first party (SOCOM PS3?), some download games (If Warhawk is or isn't in fact a PSN game) and a tech demonstration showing the Eye3 working with a first party game designed especially for it.

Then in March we get EGM showing PS3 Ratchett and Clank and GI showing Uncharted.

In April it's Sony's Gamer's Day.

Then later in the summer we have the new look E3.

It's about time, they've been keeping Heavenly Sword under wraps for too long, same with Lair (especially when they're already at the tuning stage).

It would be sweet if we get to see more of Uncharted after this one 3D screenshot, I'm been looking forward to a huge 3D action/adventure game on the PS3 for quite some time now.
Indifferent2.gif

Busty

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's about time, they've been keeping Heavenly Sword under wraps for too long, same with Lair (especially when they're already at the tuning stage).

It would be sweet if we get to see more of Uncharted after this one 3D screenshot, I'm been looking forward to a huge 3D action/adventure game on the PS3 for quite some time now.
Indifferent2.gif

Agreed. I really do think that LAIR has the potential to really turn heads. If they can create that giant sea monster from the GI article, in game, in real time. Phew.....

Could it be that Sony were working to a game plan all along when it comes to revealing their games?

And there is still alot, and I mean alot, that we haven't seen.

tribal24

Banned
oh yeah 8 days i wanna see how that looks to but i kinda thought 8 days looked more believble then the others hey but thats just me.

Busty said:
Agreed. I really do think that LAIR has the potential to really turn heads. If they can create that giant sea monster from the GI article, in game, in real time. Phew.....

Could it be that Sony were working to a game plan all along when it comes to revealing their games?

And there is still alot, and I mean alot, that we haven't seen.

too bloody much...so many games I want for ps3...and weve barely seen anything of these games

Uncharted - not much
FFXIII - Far too damn little
Lair - A small amount
HS - feck all
The Getaway - Where the hell are you?
R & C - Its coming at least
MGS4 - Yes Kojima knows how to handle things, no probs here.
Eight Days - Probably doesnt exist
Killzone 2 - Feck all
Sucker Punch game - nothing
White Knight Story - No Info
Any PS3 Rpgs - no info

damn sony need to spill

peace

Busty said:
Though we know Phil Harrison will have stuff to show, do we have an idea of what to expect at GDC.

Dig up the GDC threads from last year and you'll get a good idea. ;)

The expectations for GDC tend to get overblown, despite it's stated focus. There'll be some interesting keynotes, technical presentations and game design discussions, some business announcements, mission statements et al. But it isn't exactly the forum for media blowouts or big game announcements. Just sayin.

Chris_C

Whatever happened to that colorful rpg shown at GDC, I think it was maybe from Namco, Monster... somthing... or other.

Busty

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Dig up the GDC threads from last year and you'll get a good idea. ;)

The expectations for GDC tend to get overblown, despite it's stated focus. There'll be some interesting keynotes, technical presentations and game design discussions, some business announcements, mission statements et al. But it isn't exactly the forum for media blowouts or big game announcements. Just sayin.

True. But I have a feeling that Sony will start their PR/hype machine with GDC this year. Again, I expect it to be similar to last in year that we won't have Harrison's speech broadcast over the net.

But I think that we might get a few surprises all the same. Perhaps no big game announcements, but some surprising hook ups? Sony sign SEEDS to become a first/second party developer. We finally find out what CELLIUS does. Sony begin work on a $30 million dollar remake of Repton Through Time... actually that would be awesome.

Or considering the potential audience. A brief tech demo of Wipeout PS3 and a brief look Team Ico and Media Molecule's untitled PS3 games.

Meh, we'll find out in less than three weeks.

Elios83

Busty said:
True. But I have a feeling that Sony will start their PR/hype machine with GDC this year. Again, I expect it to be similar to last in year that we won't have Harrison's speech broadcast over the net.

But I think that we might get a few surprises all the same. Perhaps no big game announcements, but some surprising hook ups? Sony sign SEEDS to become a first/second party developer. We finally find out what CELLIUS does. Sony begin work on a $30 million dollar remake of Repton Through Time... actually that would be awesome.

Or considering the potential audience. A brief tech demo of Wipeout PS3 and a brief look Team Ico and Media Molecule's untitled PS3 games.

Meh, we'll find out in less than three weeks.

It'a a GDC conference, that means that it will be focused around announcements which are of interest for developers. It's not a secret that Sony has been working on many network related services for both PS3 and PSP ( community features, movie downloads for PS3/PSP and analysts hinted that there could be also a few important deals/partnerships involved).So I believe the key announcements will about these things and how they can be implemented in games.It's also reasonable to expect an update on many 1st/2nd parties games. It's damn time they let us know what's the state of upcoming titles like Lair, HS, Warhawk and more.

AAK

Chris_C said:
Whatever happened to that colorful rpg shown at GDC, I think it was maybe from Namco, Monster... somthing... or other.

Namco? I think you are talking about Sony's Monster Kingdom:

unknown-realms-20060911103940981.jpg

unknown-realms-20060911103938841.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TheJollyCorner said:
:lol is there really gonna be a Sony Gamers Day event this April? *paging MassiveAttack*
who knows. GDC is the only thing I'm looking forward to that is "coming soon".

Speaking of GDC, there's two Naughty Dog specific sessions at the conference. The Face Animation tech sounds pretty neat...

- Next-Generation Facial Rigging: Development of an Infinite Pose Combination Facial System

This talk will cover a newly developed system that allows for creating a joint based blending system with combination sculpting functionality. Different face setup techniques will be walked through as well as the pros and cons of each method. This will set the foundation for why Naughty Dog chose to implement the system we did and what the process of development was. It will also cover some of the advanced concepts that allow us to achieve an added layer of realism. Skin movement and volume change are also being covered. The behavior of skin plays an important role in giving the face an elastic feel that really contributes to bringing it to life.

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD07/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=4624

- RSX Best Practices

During the runup to launch, Sony Worldwide Studios learned a great deal about creating high performance graphics applications on the Playstation 3. Much attention has already been devoted to shader programming, so this talk focuses instead on the other half of the equation; topics discussed will include the origin and usage of the libgcm API, algorithms for optimal use of the RSX vertex cache, and use of the CELL in tandem with the RSX including necessary synchronization techniques. This material has never been presented before in an open forum.

https://www.cmpevents.com/GD07/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=4549

Angelcurio

4D.jpg

At least i hope that the old shirt ends up being unlockable in the final game. Microtransactions maybe? :lol

unknown-realms-20060911103940981.jpg

That game looked really cool back on tgs, when is that game supposed to come out?

Busty

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
:lol is there really gonna be a Sony Gamers Day event this April? *paging MassiveAttack*

Not sure. The only concrete frame of reference I have is Luke who said as much during a 1up Yours a few weeks ago.

He said that he was talking to someone at SCEA about it.

When is the 'new and improved' E3 coming this year again?

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
ndcombi.gif

:D

Will we see something like that in the final game ?
ndo64.gif

Maybe... only in the cut-scenes ?
It's difficult to imagine this quality for animations in real time.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bouc_emissaire said:
ndcombi.gif

:D

Will we see something like that in the final game ?
ndo64.gif

Not hard to believe since Double Agent has a similar "grab & eliminate from behind the corner" animation.

That would make an awesome "STFU" or "BANNED" animated GIF by the way :)

llTll

Banned
bouc_emissaire said:
ndo64.gif

i dont think its possible to do it in real time with this kind of graphics on PS3.

and yeah i kow they said real time BS. but i dont think its possible.

also Sony. how about you release some new movies/screens of your upcoming games. because you look like **** right now.

**** man. the new person in charge in Sony marketing is an idiot

Top Bottom