• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy - Western Ghats Gameplay Video (the open-world-ish area)

wrowa

Good characters - yeah.

The voice acting is still really bad though.

At no point did it sound like two humans having a conversation in a moving car.

Always sounded like two women in a studio - you can almost hear the paper they´re reading of. (In separate sessions, because I don´t think they were in the studio at the same time)

Are you really criticizing the voice acting when your issues seem to be largely related to the production? Saying the voice acting is bad implies in my mind a lacking performance by the voice actors, but they are hardly responsible for their environment not sounding car-like enough. Except if you are saying that the actors' way of talking isn't capturing the scene of two people sitting in a car (but then I'm not really sure what kind of way people are supposed to talk like in such an environment).

In any case, saying the voice acting is really bad because of a detail like this seems rather overdramatic. But I think you're working in that field, so being overly pedantic might be part of your profession. :p

joms5

Holy shit that voice acting is god awful!

It's like typical Uncharted banter but being read word for word from a script. I mean as much I didn't like U4, the voice acting in that game felt so bloody natural.

This is just stilted as all hell.

Game looks gorgeous as always. Wonder what reviews will be like.

20170716-rural-07_150w4pc4.jpg

This screen looks very clsoe to Paragon in terms of style. Very appealing.
I bet this sequel will be better than Uncharted 4 eventhough a little shorter.

wandering

Banned
Yeah that voice acting is incredibly stilted, I was put off the moment Chloe started talking. Is their voice director on vacation or something?

Ricky_R

Yeah that voice acting is incredibly stilted, I was put off the moment Chloe started talking. Is their voice director on vacation or something?

Well, we can assume that Neil was too busy on TLOU2. So whoever's on the job didn't focus much on that it seems.

While most of the banter is done sitting and relaxed, they're supposed to try and make it as good/real as possible depending on what's happening on screen. The creative director (or voice director if they have one for that) must make sure of that.

Holy shit that voice acting is god awful!

It's like typical Uncharted banter but being read word for word from a script. I mean as much I didn't like U4, the voice acting in that game felt so bloody natural.

This is just stilted as all hell.

Game looks gorgeous as always. Wonder what reviews will be like.
I'm sure it will review fine.

I was much more worried about the "talking to herself" dialogue at the start than I ever was about them in the jeep. Nadine's audio seemed a little muffled in a way I can't quite explain, but her actual performance seemed fine.

I'm sure it will review fine.

And none of the cutscene trailers for this game have had a voice recording or audio mixing problem, so we'll see but the final game likely won't either. Wouldn't be surprised if the voice director and voice script editor is the same for both UC4 and Lost Legacy as well. Plus Josh Scherr has been writing for the series since the beginning as co-writer and was co-writer with Neil for UC4.

Banned
How much dose the trailer reveal? I'm most sensitive to set piece and environmental spoils. I really want to watch it but maybe I'll just pass on it for now.

Uncharted obsessed, but I'm holding off on this to see reviews. Everything looks great, but it feels a little throwaway. I think its because its starring Nadine and Chloe, I thought Nadine was a pretty good antagonist and Chloe is great. But they don't feel natural together at all, it feels forced (from the little I've seen)... if it was Chloe and Elena or like Sam and Nadine or something I'd be more interested, but the concept feels like weird fan-fiction at this point.

Hope to be proven wrong!

Hyperbole at its finest!

What is with the internet and this hyperbole bullshit. Laura Bailey and Claudia Black are not even close to the realm of "awful/terrible", maybe they could be "not good" or you've heard better. But man there must be some real deep-seeded ignorance to think this is HORRIBLE.

Get outside of your typical circle and absorb some more media... there are actual terrible voice actors out there.

During gameplay bantz has always been a little stilted, I think people have rose-tinted glasses for previous titles. Cutscenes will be fantastic, and gameplay chat will be less noticeable when you're actually occupied by playing the game.

Watched like 15 seconds but this HAS to look better than UC4, they probably didn't know about the ps4 pro until late into development. This one has some really nice textures that seem to have 4K in mind.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The only major issue with the VA is one that was still in UC4. They're driving through rough uneven terrain and bouncing all over the place but the VAs don't react. Thing is I'm not sure how you over come this as its not like they could ever record reactions to whatever the player might do. Do it does sound a little off considering what's going on but I'm not sure if or what a solution could be that wasn't even more jarring.

Melchiah

Hmm -- only saw one screenshot as I want to go in somewhat blind. Having said that, kind of disappointing to read that PS4 Pro support is 1440p... although still better than 1080p, the 2160cc used in Horizon is ahead in clarity. They obviously know better than me, so I trust their judgement. But yeah HZD is definitely more sharp compared to UC4 because of this. They done goofed up if there is no downsampling for 1080p users.

Yeah, I sure hope there'll be supersampling for the 1080p Pro users.

Bunga

I agree with the others in the thread, the voice acting seems a little...off? It's not outright bad or anything, but it's just not on par with the other games in the series.

The gameplay looked decent but I'm not convinced about the more sandbox nature of the structure. It's cool you can decide which bits to tackle first etc. but I dunno, just looks like openness for openness sake. I enjoyed the UC games partly because they were linear thrill rides. Will wait and see how it reviews/what GAF think and decide then.

I agree with the others in the thread, the voice acting seems a little...off? It's not outright bad or anything, but it's just not on par with the other games in the series.

The gameplay looked decent but I'm not convinced about the more sandbox nature of the structure. It's cool you can decide which bits to tackle first etc. but I dunno, just looks like openness for openness sake. I enjoyed the UC games partly because they were linear thrill rides. Will wait and see how it reviews/what GAF think and decide then.

I love the more open areas for combat. Makes it very dynamic, unlike the samey pop and cover gameplay of the first UC.

I'm on blackout. Always good to read some positive impressions though. I'm sure the voice acting will be fine. This game and The Evil Within 2 are really only games left to release this year that I am genuinely excited about.

Visually it looks absolutely incredible, but as soon as they made it to the first stealth/combat encounter it reminded me of how little I enjoy Uncharted's combat these days.

I haven't kept up with the game since it was first announced, but didn't the announcement trailer make it seem like the game would be going in a different direction gameplay wise from the previous Uncharted games? I could be completely wrong here.

Watched a few mins, skipping through a few bits but stopped, I'm not watching anymore now, I want to experience this when I play the game myself. It's looking great so far though, the level looks massive, I can see me spending a few hours on this level alone. Also the jungle setting really brings out the best in the graphics, it's looking seriously good.

The Silenced Pistol is a welcome addition to the stealth and the combat looks like it flows well again, love how you can dive in the water and come up behind enemies to confuse them / make them lose track of you.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
I'm a huge UC/ND fan, have bought every ND game day 1 after playing UC2, but I dont know, this game is not doing much for me, everything is like been there done that a dozen of times. Will still play this, but dnt feel like getting it day 1.

dr_rus

Meh. As I've suspected, Chloe is just a boring ass character, their banter with Nadine during this sequence is just some random blubberish without any meaning or essence. There was also zero jokes during the whole 13 minutes of play time. This isn't Uncharted, it's even less UC than UC4 was. As some reviewer wrote on this - the jeep they use to travel have as much personality here as the main player character. Disappointed
but already preordered anyway

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems like a smart way to experiment with a different direction for the series. If it doesn't work out they can say it's just a side story; if it works well we might see them take mainline uncharted 5 in this direction

GlamFM

Banned
Not a fan of this open world approach.

So tired, open world everywhere... Uncharted doesn't need it.

I think ND have taken the linear, story driven road as far as it goes.

Very interested to see what they come up with when they change up their formula.

Like how Guerilla did it.

Horizon Zero Dawn is a great success story.

Well it's not like Uncharted has gone open world, not really. It's still very much a linear game but a few levels have been opened up to give a bit more choice in the gameplay.

Although clearly ND are experimenting with bigger worlds now, so it wouldn't surprise me if The Last of Us Part 2 or whatever game they announce after that, is a full on open world game.

Gurish

Seems like a smart way to experiment with a different direction for the series. If it doesn't work out they can say it's just a side story; if it works well we might see them take mainline uncharted 5 in this direction

I thought ND are done with Uncharted for good, so maybe this experiment is geared towards TLOU2 and other games they are planning than actually Uncharted.

Gradly

I thought ND are done with Uncharted for good, so maybe this experiment is geared towards TLOU2 and other games they are planning than actually Uncharted.

I never really understood why people want to know if a franchise is dead or not, and I'm talking in general, is there any benefit from knowing so? Developers can visit the franchise anytime in the future anyway so never say never

KORNdoggy

they've already gone on record to say otherwise and how there are a lot of chractersthey could easily make games with withing the uncharted world. it seems like it's just the end of drakes story, which makes sense.

Well it's not like Uncharted has gone open world, not really. It's still very much a linear game but a few levels have been opened up to give a bit more choice in the gameplay.

Although clearly ND are experimenting with bigger worlds now, so it wouldn't surprise me if The Last of Us Part 2 or whatever game they announce after that, is a full on open world game.

I really doubt they'll go full open world with TLOU 2, but these more expansive environments they introduced with TLOU and are expanding upon with UC4 and now LL were exactly what their games needed imo. They can still keep the game focused but introduce a much welcome freedom to explore and approach encounters from different angles.

Gurish

I never really understood why people want to know if a franchise is dead or not, and I'm talking in general, is there any benefit from knowing so? Developers can visit the franchise anytime in the future anyway so never say never

They might but at least it gives you a general idea about what they are planning (or more accurately not planning) for the next couple of years.

they've already gone on record to say otherwise and how there are a lot of chractersthey could easily make games with withing the uncharted world. it seems like it's just the end of drakes story, which makes sense.

I seriously cannot imagine a new main entry without Drake as the protagonist, even this expansion feels a little off without Drake over there, the "magic" of this series relies on Drake. I hope they will take a long break from it even though I love this series.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't muster any interest for this franchise anymore. Uncharted 4 was incredible, but when it ended I simply felt that it was enough. This game looks great though – ought to please fans. I just hope it's the last one so they can focus on some new stuff.

Well hopefully it's not too big a portion of the game. I agree that open world is far too prevalent this gen, but I expect TLL to be balanced and still be largely based around linear segments.

Plus that section in Uncharted 4 where you're given free reign to explore the island by boat was one of my favourite parts of the game. Hopefully they recapture that magic.

Top Bottom