• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy - Western Ghats Gameplay Video (the open-world-ish area)

dr_rus

I thought ND are done with Uncharted for good, so maybe this experiment is geared towards TLOU2 and other games they are planning than actually Uncharted.

Could you give me an example of a franchise which was put on hold right after each of it's four parts sold more and more copies?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
So it seems you have a map of the area now but otherwise it reminds me of the Madagascar level which is no bad thing. A map is certainly a nice addition l always felt i'd missed something in the Madagascar level.

Lock picking is new but l really noticed the low res shadows.

Disappointed they didn't upgrade the engine to support dynamic 4k or 2160p checkerboard l guess they are leaving the bigger engine changes for Last Of Us 2. Can't complain though the temporal anti-aliasing is doing a great job.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Well hopefully it's not too big a portion of the game. I agree that open world is far too prevalent this gen, but I expect TLL to be balanced and still be largely based around linear segments.

Plus that section in Uncharted 4 where you're given free reign to explore the island by boat was one of my favourite parts of the game. Hopefully they recapture that magic.

I asked this. In the presentation Scott Lowe stressed this was their biggest open area yet and I asked if it was going to end up being a big chuck of the game, and he said it's just one chapter.

Ricky_R

Could you give me an example of a franchise which was put on hold right after each of it's four parts sold more and more copies?

It was ND who said they were done with Uncharted not Sony.

Still, ND kinda contradicted themselves on that recently.

I really doubt they'll go full open world with TLOU 2, but these more expansive environments they introduced with TLOU and are expanding upon with UC4 and now LL were exactly what their games needed imo. They can still keep the game focused but introduce a much welcome freedom to explore and approach encounters from different angles.

Yeah I'm thinking the game they make after TLOU 2 will probably be a true open world game, but I bet TLOU 2 will have plenty of big / open levels.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/25/16020782/uncharted-the-lost-legacy-hands-on-ps4-naughty-dog
by Samit Sarkar
...Chloe is apparently half Indian... and her knowledge of Hindu mythology helps unlock many of the secrets that the duo is pursuing… you’re likely to come across ruins... that conceal special artifacts. These items are tokens of Hoysala kings that are scattered around the Western Ghats…. The Hoysalas ruled for about four centuries starting around the year 950, in the region of India known as the Deccan Plateau. The side quest in question has its own arc and payoff, and [James] Cooper said it functions as a way for the player to learn about Hoysala culture…

Some moments from the gameplay video that may be of interest, in this regard:

7:21 to 7:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSPd7o0Iic&t=7m21s

8:55 to 9:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOSPd7o0Iic&t=8m55s

Neith

Banned

LOL yeah Uncharted is not dead one way or the other.

I'm thinking remaster of that Vita game or something. Was it Vita?

Neith

Banned
I have to agree, VO seems really off, as in "read it off the paper and do it fast please".
That's a bummer, but it had a considerably shorter Development Cycle, so...yeah

The dev cycle for this seems to have been VERY short if what we know is true. They had no plans to make this a full game before the summer pass so.... IDK I am not expecting perfection, and I don't quite like these characters as much as Nate and the normal crew so it's not a big deal for me. It looks gorgeous. Sounds pretty decent anyway.

Neith

Banned
The Jak series literally sold less and less as it went on. Most of the games did in that era or were extremely close in sales to each other.

The open vehicle sections were my least favourite parts in 4. Tomb Raider is doing open hub areas much better imo, and I like my Uncharted a bit more linear.
Considering this started as DLC I was hoping this would be a much tighter experience. But it looks like they doubled down on the more open design of the world, hopefully it's not as empty as it was in 4.

And I have to agree on the VA. Stuck out like a sore thumb. Sounded both stilted and unnatural (also in the way it was mixed), which is surprising, as I like both voice actresses, and VO work was always on point and often absolutely fantastic in this series.

And people not watching the video for fear of spoilers - there aren't any. There's not much to see here really, if you've played 4 you've already seen it. It's very been there done that.

Wish Chloe didn't move like a re-skin of Nathan. Looks a bit ....odd.
For $40, I can wait till it drops in price. I mean, Left Behind was $14.99 when it was released...

Why stop there? I mean like you can get these for less.

yuhX03a.jpg

Why are people expecting something that started out as DLC for UC4 to be quite a bit more than "been there, done that"?
I get your point and I feel like this is a post I'd make myself but it's just a super unshakeable feeling for me with everything they've shown so far.

The thing you can't really show in these gameplay sections is the story and the character interactions. If those are good and the reason Chloe is on this adventure is compelling than the same-y feelings will dissipate.

When I watch this all I think is it feels like a palette swap in some respects. Here's an open-ish jeep section! Here's very similar jungle combat scenarios! Chloe is basically Nate with breasts in how she controls and fights!

I fucking love Uncharted. Easily one of my favorite franchises but I'm really struggling to get excited for this and each video is actually have the opposite effect on me that is intended.

dr_rus

It was ND who said they were done with Uncharted not Sony.

Still, ND kinda contradicted themselves on that recently.
ND never said that they were done with UC, they were very precise in saying that they were done with Drake specifically.

And I still think that this was a mistake as UC is basically a synonym of Drake, and so far none of LL's showings have proved me wrong - it just doesn't feel like UC without Drake being the player character.

Jak & Daxter.. I think ?

Um, no.

I played this today

Impressions - I don't think I'm sold on this open world - yes you get to drive around this open world to places, you have a map and then you can do stuff.

The going btw point A-B in the car just sort of felt dull the way it felt dull in Uncharted 4. Game is very good looking but I think it probably needs to stay with its more lineal gameplay like 1-3. I know this is a different in mechanics and you'll have the more scripted paths in the game. But this? this i didn't love. Same old boring driving. The world had no animals in it too - it needed life. - there were
some parrots
when chloe climbed up a rock face to a vantage point. But I feel like almost they need to pop an occasional animal or 2.

** DRIVING AROUND = MEH
** Combat = Fun.

Nadine's mouth and the dialogue coming out of it also seemed to not sync up as well as it should in some of the cutscenes.

Are there optional ruins for me to explore?

Yes

I fucking love Uncharted. Easily one of my favorite franchises but I'm really struggling to get excited for this and each video is actually have the opposite effect on me that is intended.

this whole region feels very similar to uncharted 4 - the world even sort of looks a lot like madasgascar - so there's a very strong sense of I've already done this to this section of the game.

I think the first demo with chloe walking around the city and some of the later ruins (I'm guessing, I have no idea) is where this game is really gonna shine.

Gurish

^^ I guess they didn't want to put in animals because they didn't want players to kill or harm them as it obviously goes against the game's narrative.

And I personally liked the driving in UC4 but this section just doesn't feel unique enough, it just screams "more of a prettier UC4", and Chloe feels and moves just like Drake. There are zero things to make this DLC stand on its own conceptually. I loved UC4 but for this DLC they should have gone with the classic Uncharted route and make it a 8-9 hours of tight, linear and full of set pieces adventure.

They did such a great job with TLOU's DLC, it really offered a refreshing and a different approach over the main game, it was amazing. Here? I just don't feel it so far. The first reveal with the City gameplay was promising, it felt like a new Uncharted, the setting was unique, the level design was different, the concept felt fresh, but after this latest demo it just feels in one word unimaginative.

Hopefully the final game will give me a different impression.

what's with the voice acting?? its...bad.

the game looks fine, but just seems to be more of the same. Was hoping for at least 1 new mechanic.

At least this was only £23. An uncharted game can't be a waste of money at that price :D

Lock picking... There's your 1 new mechanic.

Also don't forget the new Hoysala Tokens hidden in the levels, which will do something when collected, not sure exactly what they do yet though, as ND haven't said. But at least it gives more of a reason to explore and find hidden treasure, more than it did in the older games.

Ricky_R

ND never said that they were done with UC, they were very precise in saying that they were done with Drake specifically.

And I still think that this was a mistake as UC is basically a synonym of Drake, and so far none of LL's showings have proved me wrong - it just doesn't feel like UC without Drake being the player character.

Um, no.

This is a quote from Wells in a Polygon interview, and if you search online, their statements were all about the franchise, not Drake.

“I would say that Naughty Dog doing an Uncharted after this is unlikely,” studio co-president Evan Wells told Game Informer. “I would never say never, but we've got The Last of Us Part 2 on our plates and there's so much other stuff that [we want to explore].”

I mean, their goal was to "end" Drake' adventures with UC4, but their desire to move on was from the franchise overall.

Here are a couple of links you can check:

https://www.google.com.pr/amp/s/www...rted-lost-legacy-franchise-future-naughty-dog

https://www.google.com.pr/amp/s/gamerant.com/uncharted-4-last-game-359/amp/

https://www.google.com.pr/amp/www.t...t-in-its-series-because-it-s-hard-to-make.htm

They already backtracked from that anyway and will probably come back for more, just not with Drake I would imagine.

Dadasch

And they will move on but only after establishing new characters in a way Drake will not be missed anymore (after ND deliberately ended his story).
I'm pretty sure they will outsource Uncharted for the next game in the mainline series.

dr_rus

Those just NPD numbers, what about WW ?
I don't think that WW was any different back then in the days of PS2 unless Japan somehow bought a lot of J&D games which is rather dubious.

This is a quote from Wells in a Polygon interview, and if you search online, their statements were all about the franchise, not Drake.

“I would say that Naughty Dog doing an Uncharted after this is unlikely,” studio co-president Evan Wells told Game Informer. “I would never say never, but we've got The Last of Us Part 2 on our plates and there's so much other stuff that [we want to explore].”

I mean, their goal was to "end" Drake' adventures with UC4, but their desire to move on was from the franchise overall.

Here are a couple of links you can check:

https://www.google.com.pr/amp/s/www...rted-lost-legacy-franchise-future-naughty-dog

https://www.google.com.pr/amp/s/gamerant.com/uncharted-4-last-game-359/amp/

https://www.google.com.pr/amp/www.t...t-in-its-series-because-it-s-hard-to-make.htm

They already backtracked from that anyway and will probably come back for more, just not with Drake I would imagine.

Yeah but notice how he specifically doesn't say that they are actually done with the franchise. "Unlikely", "never say never", etc. I think that there is an understanding that a) UC will continue one way or another because it is the biggest franchise Sony have on PS right now and b) unless they will be able to find some studio who would be able to make UC games to the same standard as ND made them - they will continue making them internally. With Bend being the only studio to work on UC outside of ND and being currently busy with their own IP there isn't much options for Sony/ND on whom can continue working on UC games. Basically, I think that ND will try to split into two teams again to continue with both new projects (TLoU2 isn't a new project really btw) and making new UC games. Remains to be seen if they'll be able to pull this off though as last time they attempted this it didn't go so well.

TissueBox

Yeah that video was a bit underwhelming... and the voice acting on Chloe's side is weirdly placid. :/

I just hope it'll be a more effective experience to play. *shrug*

Ricky_R

I don't think that WW was any different back then in the days of PS2 unless Japan somehow bought a lot of J&D games which is rather dubious.

Yeah but notice how he specifically doesn't say that they are actually done with the franchise. "Unlikely", "never say never", etc. I think that there is an understanding that a) UC will continue one way or another because it is the biggest franchise Sony have on PS right now and b) unless they will be able to find some studio who would be able to make UC games to the same standard as ND made them - they will continue making them internally. With Bend being the only studio to work on UC outside of ND and being currently busy with their own IP there isn't much options for Sony/ND on whom can continue working on UC games. Basically, I think that ND will try to split into two teams again to continue with both new projects (TLoU2 isn't a new project really btw) and making new UC games. Remains to be seen if they'll be able to pull this off though as last time they attempted this it didn't go so well.

I'm aware they didn't set the retirement from Uncharted in stone, but they were clear at that point that they wanted to move on from the franchise, not Drake, which is the point and what I was replying to you about. The franchise will obviously live on either way since Sony won't let what is arguably their biggest franchise today die.

Anyway, I feel that ND will work on a new IP after TLOU2, one that's a little less grounded, and if they fall in love with it and its universe I don't think they will be back for more Uncharted any time soon, unless Sony forces them to. I'm saying that even after they backtracked from those previous statements.

Top Bottom