• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated and Overlooked fighting games

Kart94

Banned
Deadliest_Warrior_-_The_Game_Coverart.png

Deadliest Warrior, from PSN and (I believe) XBLA.

You don't have multi tiered large levels to run around in. You don't have multiple styles of samurai. You don't have multiple stances (I think)..

You DO have a 3d environment to move in though, not as freely as BB. You DO have up to 4 weapons per fighter. You DO have two different armor sets, that actually work. You DO have body maiming - appendages can get broken, or hacked off. You DO have projectiles, they are bow and arrows, spears, flintlock, whatever your fighter has. When you ise a projectile, the aiming is never the same place, thanks to being human. Because of this, and the body maiming with damage associated with it, this can happen:

"Round 1, fight!"
*Player 1 immediately throws spear, it connects with Player 2's face*
*Player 2 dies, due to a SPEAR IN THE FACE*
"Player 1 wins!"

All in 3 seconds.

Isn't that from the show from spike, that was terrible?

LakeEarth

I'm a pretty big fan of Fighters Destiny. Some serious jank, but I still greatly appreciate its point system. Have to get to 7 points, landing a KO gives you 3, ring outs are only 1 point, and hitting a super gives you 4 points.

That cow though... fuck that guy!

Isn't that from the show from spike, that was terrible?
Yea the show was pretty rough....and the game looks rough...but once you get into the game, it starts to really shine. They came out with a sequel to the game that replaced the nameless generic warriors (barbarian, pirate, ninja) with actual historical figures, but I never played that one. The the first was plenty o fun with friends.

Jaeger

Fighting Layer. It's actually not bad. Weird as hell but tons of charm. A lot of these guys would fit right on in with the Street Fighter crowd.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Soulcalibur V. Largely hated by casuals due to no worthless grindfest 1p mode, but it's the best playing SC to date.

LAM09

Def Jam: Fight for NY is one that springs to mind. IMO, it was a great fighting game, that brought something different to the table.

Top Bottom