• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated and Overlooked fighting games

Canon

Banned
Super DBZ
Budokai 3
Clash of Ninja Revolution 3
Budokai Tenkaichi 3
Godzilla Destroy all Monsters Melee

Mr. X

Virtua Fighter (doesn't deserve its rep for super high difficulty)
Chaos Code
Matrimelee
Kizuna Encounter (first fighter with tag-ins)
Samurai Showdown (especially if you like methodical, poke and space type of fighters)
Rumble Fish

polg

*subscribes*

I really like the odd Neo Geo ones like A.D.K.
2421773F526010E02A671B

aggressors_of_dark_kombat_by_fou_lo-d4xjcdv.png

nin64

Neo Member
SNES has a lot of fighting games based on manga.

My favorites:

TMNT:TF
5162Ebc7PCL.jpg

DBZ Super Butouden 2
588291_4420_front.jpg

YUUYUU Hakusho Final
gfs_3711_2_8.jpg
]

solomon

j4gSduH.jpg

Imported this with a free loader in the 8th grade, Holy shit was this game amazing and the cancel system was fun.
I was going to post Jump ultimate stars but naw everyone who's imported for DS know about this game.

HeelPower

I really think this is underrated.

I had so much fun with this game back in the day.Though I obviously can't explain its mechanics at this moment.

Samurai%20Showdown%20-%20Warrior's%20Rage%20[U]%20[SLUS-01039]-front.jpg

Vinci

Danish
Played a Naruto game on the GameCube for hundreds of hours that I had imported. Don't even know which one it was, nor am I sure it's under-rated or overlooked. It was just very, very fun. Last fighting game I truly cared for.

TokiDoki

Love Capcom's Jojo game on PS1 . The story did very well to spread out the Stardust Crusader adventure , especially the minigames . Fighting with stand was very fun and spot on too . I'm pretty sure its underrated ?

No love for Marvel Nemesis? My bro and I still square off on the PS2 when we get together. Spidey vs. The Thing on The Bridge. All day. Plays similar to Power Stone, I suppose.

Which reminds me, MK Shaolin Monks had a pretty good versus. As did Street of Rage 2 on the Genesis. Solid throw-ins.

Good to see the PS1 Star Wars fighter mentioned. Bro and I played that, too. We played a lot of licensed games everyone else hated, haha.

Also, I like Urban Champion. There, I said it.

Mr. X

man how you think they raised all that money? that crowdfunding stuff also got a ton of mainstream media attention. there are a ton of people on the internet talking about skullgirls. it seems like 99.9% of that community is about the art stuff as opposed to the fighting game stuff. its really strange.

Every fighting game's fanbase is 99% not about the fighting bits. How do you think SF and MK sell so much?

hentaicook

Neo Member
guilty-gear-isuka-screenshot-04.jpg

Imagine if Guilty Gear Isuka caught on. 2V2 in a traditional fighter! Tournaments with paired players that shared combos off each other! The game would inspire player to player bondage, forming everlasting bonds that cannot be broken! There might be infinite combo problems at first, but those balance problems would be fixed in the next iteration: "Guilty Gear Isuka XX & XX Unload"

Teremap

Banned
[...] *though Lilith is a creepy character and shouldn't have existed* [...]
I hope you're referring to her origin story/motivations and not her lack of breasts. Some very unfortunate implications with the latter since she is otherwise a mirror image of Morrigan.
Man, this one's a true classic. Damn shame they could never make a decent follow-up after it.

That theme is still truly iconic.

Jaeger

Bloody Roar franchise. Power Stone, Project Justice. Cyberbots. Darkstalkers, the list goes on. However, I think the Street Fighter EX series gets the most flak. Such an awesome game series.

I still wanna play Fighting Layer.

JordanN

Banned
KOF: Maximum Impact 2 / The King of Fighters 2006

Don't listen to what the haters say, I think the KOF artstyle is perfect in 3D. I'm actually sad they haven't done more with it.

*crossesfingers for Maximum Impact 3*

Zaku

Didn't read the thread (lazy, drunk, and browsing GAF in between Tekken rounds) but I've got to give a nod of the hat to the Bushido Blade series.

If anything in Square's back catalog deserves a revisit, it's that. It's such a great fighting game because it adopts the Dive Kick formula over a decade before the thought was even born, but adds granularity which Dive Kick sorely needs.

Essentially, in Bushido Blade you're in three states of existence when playing against someone: "How do I get an advantage?", "Oh god I'm screwed", and "Crap, ! Won!" or "Crap, I'm dead!"

During the first stage (i.e. "How do I get an advantage?") you're running around the stage looking for the spot to pick your stand and trying to lure your opponent there. Maybe it's somewhere where you can, if you get a blade lock and win can push him off a cliff. Maybe it's somewhere he'll trap his weapon on some stone. Maybe it's just somewhere where you can throw some dirt in his eyes... But you're always looking for that advantage.

If you get the upper hand, fine. But if you don't... You're in "Oh god I'm screwed" territory. Maybe your one arm doesn't work and all you can do is swing your sword slowly. Maybe your knee got hit and now all you can do is lamely swing or flop to the ground while your opponent circles around. Either way, your defensive and offensive options are limited and you think you're going to lose.

So you have one shot. You pick your time, you do what you think you can, and you either turn the fight around despite your disadvantage or you don't. Whatever.

The point is that the win/loss isn't binary, with some exceptions. Even if you get tagged, unless your opponent is good you can still fight at a disadvantage. You have options. While you're in a position which is harder to recover from, you can recover.

It condenses a good fighting game's nuances into a few short moments of power between foes, and it's brilliant because of it.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Fighters_destiny_box.JPG

Unique scoring system and the combat was simple but could be tactical thanks to the chance of a 1 hit KO.

Hah! That's one of the first N64 games I owned.

I saved up my birthday money and odd jobs/chore completion/allowance money for like 6 months to have enough for a new game and I ended up picking this one.

EricB

I think most of my picks have already been mentioned (SF x T, Virtua Fighter Any, Tobal 2, Last Blade 1&2)) so I will add:

Soul Calibur Broken Destiny (PSP).
SoulCalibur-beats-431.jpg

Yeah, it didn't have the modes but the base game here was fantastic. It felt as fun to play as the other Soul Calibur games but it was portable.

&

Soul Calibur V

Absolutely fantastic game again poisoned by a lack of modes. Based off of just the gameplay, this could be my favorite fighting game ever and I don't even play online. It just feels so good to play and move around.

I can only imagine what could have been had Namco not blown it contentwise with these two games. It is borderline criminal to me (in much the same way as it was criminal of them to butcher the translations if the Legend of Heroes games on PSP but thats another story).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why... why are people calling Last Blade 2 or Mark of the Wolves underrated games when they are considered some of the best fighting games ever by most of the FGC and are hugely popular?

Evilisk

jHDZ7tU.jpg

Not really a traditional fighting game but I loved this back on the PS2. A sequel would be great but I'd also take a remake with online multiplayer

EricB

why... why are people calling Last Blade 2 or Mark of the Wolves underrated games when they are considered some of the best fighting games ever by most of the FGC and are hugely popular?

I guess maybe it is because SNK seems to underrate them. Whereas I can play a version of King of Fighters on basically every gadget that I have that even approximates a games machine, Last Blade and its sequel have been largely passed over in the re-release market.

Virtual On would be awesome on next gen.
Also X-Men vs Street Fighter. I know they moved on to the Marvel stuff but I like the original

Phil S.

Banned
One of my favorites growing up was the SNES version of TMNT: Tournament Fighters! It had an awesome cast, great looking stages, nice combat, and really catchy tunes!

UleDnC0.png

EDIT: If this actually isn't overlooked or underrated, I apologize!

gelf

Virtua Fighter. It always saddens me when people list the big 3D fighting franchises and leave that one off. Its really misunderstood and nowhere near as inpenetrable as its hardcore reputation suggests. Also by extention Fighters Megamix because we need more fighters that are prepared to give you a Daytona car, meat and a palm tree as playable characters.

For a 2D game I'd say Kizuna Encounter, though I admit I mostly love that because the cityscape backgrounds have a Streets of Rage vibe.

Tobal2_front.jpg

Tobal 2 was amazing at the time. The dungeon mode was superb as well!! So addictive! The animation and frame rate was mind blowing.

And it probably sucked as a fighting game (I can't remember) but I really enjoyed Ehrgeiz. Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth, Vincent (!), Yuffie! And Django the wolf thing!
Ehrgeiz_Pal.jpg

Top Bottom