• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated and Overlooked fighting games

Jashobeam

Rival Schools, The Last Blade, Waku Waku 7, Tobal, Bushido Blade, Dragonball Z Legends, Destrega, Psychic Force, Bloody Roar

Jump Ultimate Stars.

I put more time into that game than anything else besides WoW that gen.

Online was so damn fun, way ahead of its time as a DS game.

Virtua Fighter is my favorite 3D fighter, but noone wants to play it when they come round.

Tsunako VS Capcom Wii is the PERFECT casual game for when you have friends/family/kids over if they're using Wiimotes, nobody knows who the fuck these characters are but they love it.

L Thammy

Senko no Ronde is really interesting. Not sure if it counts as a fighting game, but it's obviously based on the same structure.

Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu is pretty cool too. 4-player fighting on the NES.

Jump Ultimate Stars.

I put more time into that game than anything else besides WoW that gen.

<3
Didn't play online much, but played a ton of local matches. It's awesome when someone finds a new strategy and everyone has to build new decks to counter it.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not really overlooked
to people who know anything
but Power Instinct.

Off the top of my head:
Garou
Real Bout 2
Daraku Tenshi

I don't know if Garou is either overlooked or underrated. People love that game.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The Last Bronx for the Arcade/Saturn.

Great weapon based combat. Still have my copy. I think Killer Instinct on Xbox One us underrated too.

Kumubou

One fighting game that I always felt was criminally underrated is the doujin fighter Immaterial and Missing Power. Here's a fighting game that features no throws (outside of one command grab with no range) and an auto-block mechanic... and it actually works out. It's a very projectile-based game (fitting, as it's a Touhou game) but it still remains to feel closer to a traditional fighting game than something like Psychic Force or Senko no Ronde. It's quite unlike anything out there, and it's also a good example of how well developers and players understand and learn games over time -- the sequel got a little silly (ok, a lot silly) trying to compensate for what was thought to be an overly defensive game... but that's not really how the game works now, nearly a decade later. Hell, I don't think I'm really qualified to write about it anymore -- the meta has changed that much over the years, with zero patches. Here's the finals from a big tournament a few years back (Tohgeki, how cute -- and have the whole playlist, if you want)

1269889864-00.jpg
I respect the hell out of this choice. TMNT:TF had no business being as good as it was -- it was basically a bootleg SSF2:ST on the SNES. Just don't play the Genesis version!

Seeing people posting VF makes me sad. It seems like a game a lot of people say they want to play, but no one actually does. :|

petghost

Banned
Senko no Ronde is really interesting. Not sure if it counts as a fighting game, but it's obviously based on the same structure.

Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu is pretty cool too. 4-player fighting on the NES.

<3
Didn't play online much, but played a ton of local matches. It's awesome when someone finds a new strategy and everyone has to build new decks to counter it.

senko no ronde looks rad thanks for bringing it to my attention.

it kinda reminds me of this game which also does a schmup/fg hybrid thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RI5U9YMQCA

Ninjimbo

Virtua Fighter is generally ignored. Some recent games get credit for having "great" training modes, but they're still not at VF4: Evo's level.
Yep. Evo's training modes actually went into the metagame and showed you how one can work different offensive series into a character's moveset. I'll admit that it isn't easy to grasp if you're new, but when you're delving into complexities of a game, why should it be? Seriously, that training mode will give you a master's level understanding of the game.

As for my pick, even though I've only played an hour or two of the game, KOFXIII feels like it should have a bigger reputation. It seems like one of those games where a comeback is completely earned and that's becoming rarer in these days of super combos and one hit KOs.

Karsha

Garou and Last blade 1&2, they aren't really overlooked but i just think that they are the best fighters ever made and they get less attention as to what they deserve.

As for overlooked I'd say Karnov Revenge and World Heroes perfect. The first one was considered a sf2 clone and got ignored pretty hard, the second felt like KOF for the poor even thought the concept of world's legendary heroes and villains fighting was and still is very cool.

I came to post this, Senko no Ronde 1 & 2 is a interesting hybrid of FTG and STG, the 360 original was localised as Wartech and can be bought for pennies.

Another hybrid Virtual On - OT while popular in Japan is way under the radar in the west.

Infact any Vs hybrid are pretty much none entities in the west who seem to solely focus on 2D/3D FTG and that's it.

Amaya

Banned
Virtua Fighter is generally ignored. Some recent games get credit for having "great" training modes, but they're still not at VF4: Evo's level.

I just got VirtueFighter5:Final Showdown on playstation 3. Man, I had no idea how good it was! I'm hooked, but there are a bunch of asshole veterans on there. Rarel any lower rank people. My psn name is DragunovSergei. Maybe some of you weenies here play. Stop being a dick to noobs. Scares them off. Luckily I'm persistent.

Edit: any news on VF6?!

ShinMaruku

Dead or Alive. It's looked upon as a titty fighter by people who think Juri's U2 and how Chun Li Looks is 100% wholesome. By people who play KOF and see Mai. (Oh Mai,Mai dance for me)

Dachande

Lots of good picks here so far. Powerstone, Project Justice, Virtua Fighter and Skullgirls are some I'd say are under-appreciated for sure.

Here's one not mentioned yet: Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Akatsuki_Blitzkampf_box_art.jpg

Released on PC via the doujin scene and made mostly by one guy. Got an updated/tuned arcade version on Naomi that I've been binging myself on recently. Very oldschool, chunky, spacing-based combat set mainly on the ground, fairly simple commands, only three button (Light, Medium, Heavy), and a parry mechanic. Such a great fighter, and virtually no one knows about it.

petghost

Banned
It does? I never hear of it outside of Gaf.

man how you think they raised all that money? that crowdfunding stuff also got a ton of mainstream media attention. there are a ton of people on the internet talking about skullgirls. it seems like 99.9% of that community is about the art stuff as opposed to the fighting game stuff. its really strange.

gngf123

Lots of good picks here so far. Powerstone, Project Justice, Virtua Fighter and Skullgirls are some I'd say are under-appreciated for sure.

Here's one not mentioned yet: Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Akatsuki_Blitzkampf_box_art.jpg

Released on PC via the doujin scene and made mostly by one guy. Got an updated/tuned arcade version on Naomi that I've been binging myself on recently. Very oldschool, chunky, spacing-based combat set mainly on the ground, fairly simple commands, only three button (Light, Medium, Heavy), and a parry mechanic. Such a great fighter, and virtually no one knows about it.

The name seems familiar, I think I've heard good things about it but never played it. Might try to fix that, it would be good if the updated version was easily available.

There are some really good doujin fighters out there that nobody knows about.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Aquapazza is pretty recent but I like it a lot. People will probably ignore it because uguuuuuu~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ but the combo system really jives with me.

aquapazza_review_3.jpg

man how you think they raised all that money? that crowdfunding stuff also got a ton of mainstream media attention. there are a ton of people on the internet talking about skullgirls. it seems like 99.9% of that community is about the art stuff as opposed to the fighting game stuff. its really strange.

Heh, I must live under a rock, then. I mean, after the crowdfunding was successful, I never heard of it again.
Also, Skullgirls has one of the best training modes in a fighting game.

Hinomura

I'd say the pretty obscure PS2 game "Garouden Breakblow Fist or Twist" (Esp/Opus, 2007). The prequel (just Garouden Breakblow, 2005) was already interesting but I found FoT nicely improved and much more "refined" as a whole.

It captures pretty well the manga rawness and violence and offered an interesting battle system spread among several martial arts / combat sports. Add in localized damange (with cuts, splatting blood, flying teeth, broken bones with x-ray effect, and so on), hitters and grapplers, ground moves, zooming in while "mud fighting", etc. Oh, and a comeback system similar to the Street Fighter 4 Ultra.

It seems PlayAsia still owns a few copies but it's (obviously?) pricey... like 86 USD pricey...

It didn't got enough attention probably mainly for two reasons: Japan only and licensed on a manga...

The Cowboy

Skullgirls gets plenty of attention though.
Not really, the fan base for the game is quite small and it gets next to no attention outside of a few areas (GAF, its steam section etc).

Its a shame really, its a fantastic game that really should get a lot more attention.

The name seems familiar, I think I've heard good things about it but never played it. Might try to fix that, it would be good if the updated version was easily available.

There are some really good doujin fighters out there that nobody knows about.

There's also a sequel, En-Eins Perfektewelt. Haven't had a chance to try it though.

shaowebb

Neo Geo Battle Colisseum

mgDaYBl.jpg

Game was a tag fighter starring a host of SNK characters from across their history. You had certain teams getting special team moves, and you had a really bitchin combat system and a bunch of friggin bosses.

Its on 360 and everyone should know that its amazing. Really a great game.

I don't like fighting games. I don't even really like Square-Enix or FF too much. I did put nearly 100 hours into this though:

sLDWd3n.jpg

The game was accessible, had a huge array of single player content, a wide cast of characters and a wonderfully bananas storyline that you could laugh at while you unlocked the characters. It played great on the PSP, and plays great on the Vita. I think it's right up there with some of the PSP's best but you rarely see it on lists here as everyone gets tunnelvisioned by the SRPGs.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Rival-Schools.jpg

With a little more ambition, this could have been like a Persona game but with fighting gameplay instead of RPG mechanics. Oh, what could have been. :'(

Astarte

Rival-Schools.jpg

With a little more ambition, this could have been like a Persona game but with fighting gameplay instead of RPG mechanics. Oh, what could have been. :'(

Oooohhh I love me some Project Justice! That image is...pretty inconsistent though :<

Ferrio

Banned

You know that's such a brilliant idea..... I'm not surprised Capcom hasn't done it.

Neo Geo Battle Colisseum

mgDaYBl.jpg

Game was a tag fighter starring a host of SNK characters from across their history. You had certain teams getting special team moves, and you had a really bitchin combat system and a bunch of friggin bosses.

Its on 360 and everyone should know that its amazing. Really a great game.

I remember buying this and KoF XI and thought this game blew XI away. Sucks SNK never made a sequel.

budokai3-cover.jpg

Super_Dragon_Ball_Z_Coverart.png

Super dbz was definitely looked over, budokai 3 was called one of the best dbz games but as a fighting game I feel it was underrated and didn't blow up like it should have.

Top Bottom