• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

PSqueak

Banned
fqcCTZN.png

A bit of an ego bump, but i looked up the original reference of this picture i made for a trump thread on OT (it's a simpsons reference) and out of curiosity i tried seaching for my own picture.

Wow! Writing "Local Fish" on google auto completes to "Thinks anime is real".

I think that's the highest impact i have ever had on the internet.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
A bit of an ego bump, but i looked up the original reference of this picture i made for a trump thread on OT (it's a simpsons reference) and out of curiosity i tried seaching for my own picture.

Wow! Writing "Local Fish" on google auto completes to "Thinks anime is real".

I think that's the highest impact i have ever had on the internet.

I'm sorry, but google auto is personalized.
Agnostic auto (for my location, anyway) is Local Fish Store, then Local Fish Market, and so on

Playing this for the first time, I just fought
Undyne for the first time
I have two questions :
1- For the replays, is there an option to skip already read dialogue ?
2- is it possible to
spare Toriel at the beginning of the game ? I feel like I've missed an opportunity here :/ or shoUldale I just keep playing and replay the game and see for myself ?

Thanks !

Playing this for the first time, I just fought
Undyne for the first time
I have two questions :
1- For the replays, is there an option to skip already read dialogue ?
2- is it possible to
spare Toriel at the beginning of the game ? I feel like I've missed an opportunity here :/ or shoUldale I just keep playing and replay the game and see for myself ?

Thanks !

For 2:
Yes, it is possible. You just mercy ad nauseum until she caves in and gives up.

I restarted the whole game (deleted the save and all) in order to redo it and
spare Toriel

I just beat it for the first time
sparing everyone, trying to spare the King and then...

Holy shit who spiked my drink ?
I also spared Flowey LOL

I don't know what to make of all of this. I guess I want to play more and see what kind of endings I can get. Maybe I played the game a little to straightforwardly and didn't see everything I could get. Maybe it's kind of like other games where it's compulsory to see all the endings before unlocking the golden route ? AAAAAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE.

I fear the moment
I'll do a genocide run and see what Sans has to say to me.

Also I absolutely loved that moment (obvious spoilers) :
http://imgur.com/a/gnRu6

So, I should just restart the game right ? Or should I
load right before the final boss and try other choices ?

Aikidoka

I restarted the whole game (deleted the save and all) in order to redo it and
spare Toriel

I just beat it for the first time
sparing everyone, trying to spare the King and then...

Holy shit who spiked my drink ?
I also spared Flowey LOL

I don't know what to make of all of this. I guess I want to play more and see what kind of endings I can get. Maybe I played the game a little to straightforwardly and didn't see everything I could get. Maybe it's kind of like other games where it's compulsory to see all the endings before unlocking the golden route ? AAAAAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE.

I fear the moment
I'll do a genocide run and see what Sans has to say to me.

Also I absolutely loved that moment (obvious spoilers) :
http://imgur.com/a/gnRu6

So, I should just restart the game right ? Or should I
load right before the final boss and try other choices ?

Flowey should have spoken to you about what to do next, if you really didn't kill anyone aside from Asgore.
Reload save and go visit Papyrus and/or Undyne

You can
befriend Alphys after you befriend two "other friends", you cant do this before them
. If I spoiler tagged too much yes
befriend Papyrus and Undyne first

Ha sorry I meant
I didn't befriend Undyne, I mixed them up

Oh well, I'll just replay. It's funny
how the game acknowledges your second playthrough

Nohar

Undertale is one of the most important and impactful video game I ever played. I played it during a difficult part of my life, and it helped me to grieve and to have hope in the future. It holds a very special place in my heart. As a very special being said,
"I don't want to let go".
This game is a source of pure positivity, and more people should play it. The community also made countless wonderful artworks, animations, videos, covers and remixes, all contributing to honor this universe and its characters. I want to list quite a lot of them, but it would take me hours, and I don't have the time right now. For the time being I will recommend Dogs of Future Past by LynxGriffin, who made a beautiful comic and who wrote, as far as I am concerned, one of the best stories inspired by this game (WARNING: Do NOT, under any circumstances, read this comic unless you have seen Undertale's True Ending; knowledge of the Genocide run is also highly recommended).

So, thank you people who made me interested in this game, thank you everyone who showed their love of this game with their own creations, and thank you Toby Fox for this experience, this story that I will cherish for a long time.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
Undertale is one of the most important and impactful video game I ever played. I played it during a difficult part of my life, and it helped me to grieve and to have hope in the future. It holds a very special place in my heart. As a very special being said,
"I don't want to let go".
This game is a source of pure positivity, and more people should play it. The community also made countless wonderful artworks, animations, videos, covers and remixes, all contributing to honor this universe and its characters. I want to list quite a lot of them, but it would take me hours, and I don't have the time right now. For the time being I will recommend Dogs of Future Past by LynxGriffin, who made a beautiful comic and who wrote, as far as I am concerned, one of the best stories inspired by this game (WARNING: Do NOT, under any circumstances, read this comic unless you have seen Undertale's True Ending; knowledge of the Genocide run is also highly recommended).

So, thank you people who made me interested in this game, thank you everyone who showed their love of this game with their own creations, and thank you Toby Fox for this experience, this story that I will cherish for a long time.

This is an absolutely wonderful post and I can totally get behind the sentiment of it, I also played at a low point and it really helped me through. Even now the game has a special place in my life.

Kyuur

Just finished playing through this with my SO. Absolutely fantastic game; the ideas, execution, writing, music and even graphics at many points were top notch. I got what I guess is the 'true pacifist' ending? Glad I didn't mess anything up since I wasn't using a guide. I would have to dock the game a mark for walk speed / lack of shortcuts (backtracking to the ruins at the end of the game was a total chore despite payoff) and the "post game" being a little bit too wordy and long (although still awesome). Undyne was easily the best character, although all of them were great. Her house scenes were amazing. Other highlights include the first battle with Asgore (I get chills when the beginning theme plays and DETERMINATION comes up), basically every save point, TEMMIE, greater dog.. there's too many to name. Just astoundingly memorable.

I had to look up the fucking door before Snowdin; drove me crazy. Everything else paid off with patience though; can't believe it took so long for the Waterfall shop guy to tell me the story about the king!

Is it worth it to do a murderous run? I understand that neutral is basically what I did with some minor missteps.

jnWake

Just finished playing through this with my SO. Absolutely fantastic game; the ideas, execution, writing, music and even graphics at many points were top notch. I got what I guess is the 'true pacifist' ending? Glad I didn't mess anything up since I wasn't using a guide. I would have to dock the game a mark for walk speed / lack of shortcuts (backtracking to the ruins at the end of the game was a total chore despite payoff) and the "post game" being a little bit too wordy and long (although still awesome). Undyne was easily the best character, although all of them were great. Her house scenes were amazing. Other highlights include the first battle with Asgore (I get chills when the beginning theme plays and DETERMINATION comes up), basically every save point, TEMMIE, greater dog.. there's too many to name. Just astoundingly memorable.

I had to look up the fucking door before Snowdin; drove me crazy. Everything else paid off with patience though; can't believe it took so long for the Waterfall shop guy to tell me the story about the king!

Is it worth it to do a murderous run? I understand that neutral is basically what I did with some minor missteps.

Genocide is worth it IMO. The battles are great, but will test your evil determination.

Alastor3

How much playthrough is there? Im blind anything about Undertale and im about to play it. I heard I can save everyone or kill everyone? which one should I do first?

Kyuur

If you did Neutral I recommend doing pacifist before Genocide. The pacifist final stretch is just amazing

I did the whole stretch. :)

How much playthrough is there? Im blind anything about Undertale and im about to play it. I heard I can save everyone or kill everyone? which one should I do first?

Follow your heart! That's what I did -- just know that this game is not like others and you do have a choice. You won't be presented with a situation where you are forced to abandon your morals because the gameplay doesn't let you do what you want to do.

So. Um. When does this get good? I've heard nothing but praise about this game for the last several years, but somehow never got around to playing it. I finally started the other night and it's just not doing anything for me.

On paper, I love the idea of the pacifist mechanic but in action it's kind of boring. I thought maybe that was just because I was early in the game but I just got up to the Undyne fight and I'm still just bored to tears. I'd heard this has such an amazing story too - but so far everyone is just wacky and off the wall and zany and entirely annoying. I don't see how this morphs from crazy talking skeletons into something that'd move me emotionally.

The music is lovely, I'll give it that. And the ideas all seem like something that would be right up my alley... I'm just totally bouncing off of it.

Does it get better at some point? Should I keep pushing on with it? I've heard it's not a super long game - 6ish hours for your first run through.... I've got about 3 hours in, according to Steam.

If I've not fallen in love with it yet, is it just not for me?

Saikyo

If it didnt "clicked" with you on snowdin I guess you can drop it : /

Still maybe you can try other games like Lisa.

Puruzi

Banned
So. Um. When does this get good? I've heard nothing but praise about this game for the last several years, but somehow never got around to playing it. I finally started the other night and it's just not doing anything for me.

On paper, I love the idea of the pacifist mechanic but in action it's kind of boring. I thought maybe that was just because I was early in the game but I just got up to the Undyne fight and I'm still just bored to tears. I'd heard this has such an amazing story too - but so far everyone is just wacky and off the wall and zany and entirely annoying. I don't see how this morphs from crazy talking skeletons into something that'd move me emotionally.

The music is lovely, I'll give it that. And the ideas all seem like something that would be right up my alley... I'm just totally bouncing off of it.

Does it get better at some point? Should I keep pushing on with it? I've heard it's not a super long game - 6ish hours for your first run through.... I've got about 3 hours in, according to Steam.

Its ok to not like things. No point in continuing if you don't enjoy the game.

AniHawk

well at that point i was already pretty much loving the game. however what makes it go from good to classic is its twist. like 999, it's a game that plays on expectations and made for longtime video game fans.

i wouldn't recommend going on a lot more if you're just not feeling it, but i also thought it was a lot more endearing than it was wacky.

Kyuur

I'd heard this has such an amazing story too - but so far everyone is just wacky and off the wall and zany and entirely annoying. I don't see how this morphs from crazy talking skeletons into something that'd move me emotionally.

I don't know if I'd call the story particularly amazing (although some of the stuff near the climax and "post-game" is neat). The characters and writing were really what worked for me, so if you don't care about what happens to Papyrus after everything you've been up to, you're probably not going to care about any developments.

well at that point i was already pretty much loving the game. however what makes it go from good to classic is its twist. like 999, it's a game that plays on expectations and made for longtime video game fans.

i wouldn't recommend going on a lot more if you're just not feeling it, but i also thought it was a lot more endearing than it was wacky.

Yeah, I get what it is going for. I appreciate the inversion of RPG mechanics, and the pacifistic options. I think that is what is most frustrating to me about this game - I get it, I appreciate it for what it is doing, but it's still not an enjoyable experience for me.

Its ok to not like things. No point in continuing if you don't enjoy the game.

Yeah, I guess I just need to suck it up on this one. Shame too because a friend of mine has been raving about this for years, and I finally got around to it now. She's been asking me what I thought and I've been reluctant to tell her.

I don't know if I'd call the story particularly amazing (although some of the stuff near the climax and "post-game" is neat). The characters and writing were really what worked for me, so if you don't care about what happens to Papyrus after everything you've been up to, you're probably not going to care about any developments.

Ironically the Papyrus section was when I really started to wonder if this was just not for me. I feel the most turned off from the skeleton brothers. The boss fight was just tedious. I knew what to do immediately, but had to do what felt like 20 rounds of 'Spare' even though the bone dodging thing wasn't really going anywhere. Then my reward was a date with Papyrus where we just kind of wander around his house and he continues to be "kooky" about his clothing, and whatever. The sock notes sum up exactly what I mean by kooky in this case too - like a false randomness to it all. "Oh wow isn't that funny!?" I feels like the game is ribbing me in the side and going "GET IT? DO YOU GET IT? ISN'T THIS FUNNY?"

So yeah, guess this one isn't for me. sadtrombone.mp3

Thanks for the feedback though! Good to know I wasn't just missing something, and that for most people if they dug it - they already did at this point.

Started this game yesterday. Just got to the
Undyne
fight and I thought I was doing a pacifist run, but then
Undyne
started talking to me like I killed and made me realize that I killed
Doggo
and
Toreil
. I had forgot about both of those. The latter I killed just because I thought that was the only way to continue. Kinda mad I messed that up. I don't remember why I killed the other but I assume it was because I still wasn't 100% familiar with the mechanics and thought I couldn't spare him.

Edit: Probably part of the reason this fight is such a bitch right now. I haven't been killing anyone else other than the people I mentioned so I haven't been leveling up.

cj_iwakura

I guess sparing the final boss without a pacifist run was a real bad idea, huh.

what the hell just happened.

Yep, stay determined. Neutral get, I think.

I finished the game with true pacifist route, I'm now reading the wiki but there are informations that I actually not found in the game.
While initially cast in a sympathetic light, Asriel admits at the end of the True Pacifist Route that Chara "...wasn't really the greatest person." Asriel states that Chara climbed Mount Ebott for an unhappy reason, and adds that Chara "hated humanity". Chara never told Asriel the reason that they had such hatred. Asriel also mentions that Chara "laughed it off" when the two of them accidentally poisoned Asgore by putting buttercups instead of cups of butter into a butterscotch pie they made for him
Where the hell is this part? I've even played a youtube video and it doesn't appear

Joqu

I finished the game with true pacifist route, I'm now reading the wiki but there are informations that I actually not found in the game.
While initially cast in a sympathetic light, Asriel admits at the end of the True Pacifist Route that Chara "...wasn't really the greatest person." Asriel states that Chara climbed Mount Ebott for an unhappy reason, and adds that Chara "hated humanity". Chara never told Asriel the reason that they had such hatred. Asriel also mentions that Chara "laughed it off" when the two of them accidentally poisoned Asgore by putting buttercups instead of cups of butter into a butterscotch pie they made for him
Where the hell is this part? I've even played a youtube video and it doesn't appear

I mean if you're reading the wiki page I think you are it says how you get that stuff right there, but okay let me try. It's been a while so I hope I recall everything correctly here, but at the end of true pacifist
after you break the seal but before you watch the credits / go to the surface you get free reign to explore, right? No monsters, lots of NPC talking. If you go back all the way to the part where you started the game in the ruins you're able to talk with Asriel for that info.

People'd always say you can't do that anymore after you've actually viewed the credits though, I'm not sure how accurate that is since I've never tried it in that order. It's not that hard to find on YouTube though? I'd try it for myself first but here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dlm_p1ZxA

Eccocid

I just finished it finally last night after starting several times and quitting after an hour.

Well it was a funny game, i loved some of the 4th wall breaking jokes.
and that's it.

It was such a slog to play. Overall writing felt like a spongebob or some other quirky CN show.
I am a heartless person lol. I don't think i will replay to see other endings. Will just google them to see what changes.

dock

Did anyone ever do a hack or patch to make Undertale easier for people that couldn't cope with combat, such as slowing the gameplay down or stopping the random battles?

Replying with "I found it easy" and "watch a LP" is missing the point, btw. :)

Saikyo

Did anyone ever do a hack or patch to make Undertale easier for people that couldn't cope with combat, such as slowing the gameplay down or stopping the random battles?

I dont think anyone made that. : /

Maybe try fiddling with cheat engine and make the hp value infinite? But I am surprised you havent give up the game.

LiK

I kinda wish there was an easy mode for people who simply want to enjoy the story. Would be good for replays too.

dock

I dont think anyone made that. : /

Maybe try fiddling with cheat engine and make the hp value infinite? But I am surprised you havent give up the game.
I did give up on the game.

It's been a while since it launched, so I figured I would consider it again if they fixed it. IIRC I tried cheat engine but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work, so I uninstalled cheat engine and undertale.

Tarazet

I got through several playthroughs, genocide is ridiculous but otherwise it is 100% doable. I had a lot of deaths, though. The game isn't quite 8-bit style unforgiving but it is not easy. It's basically a bullet hell RPG.

Saikyo

I did give up on the game.

It's been a while since it launched, so I figured I would consider it again if they fixed it. IIRC I tried cheat engine but I couldn't figure out how to get it to work, so I uninstalled cheat engine and undertale.

There are lot of guides of save editing so you could put a really high hp number, you could also with it equip the "Real Knife", it has 99 attack and you can spare monsters on the first turn, also there is "The Locket" that gives 99 defense.

Just dont search where you can get these item in game because its kinda spoilish
its the last item you can get in the genocide run, after you dont have any more random encounters to use it

dock

There are lot of guides of save editing so you could put a really high hp number, you could also with it equip the "Real Knife", it has 99 attack and you can spare monsters on the first turn, also there is "The Locket" that gives 99 defense.

Just dont search where you can get these item in game because its kinda spoilish
its the last item you can get in the genocide run, after you dont have any more random encounters to use it
thanks, good to know. hacking sounds like a bit of a pain because of some anti-hacking that blocks the screen after a while, but I'll give it a try some time.

IrishNinja

what a great game this is

i'm at the end of my first playthrough
neutral i guess, i killed a few things in the cave and FUCKED RIGHT UP by killing poor Uriel or whatever her name was in the beginning, ugh)

when i replay, i guess ill go for pacifist & do it right, but i thought i read around here that doing an awful genocide one would change future playthroughs, is that right? should that be your last play, if at all?

Saikyo

what a great game this is

i'm at the end of my first playthrough
neutral i guess, i killed a few things in the cave and FUCKED RIGHT UP by killing poor Uriel or whatever her name was in the beginning, ugh)

when i replay, i guess ill go for pacifist & do it right, but i thought i read around here that doing an awful genocide one would change future playthroughs, is that right? should that be your last play, if at all?

You can do it for last,
it just change one detail in one of the endings if you complete it.

Safe spoiler in case someone is really paranoid.

Saikyo

New update today, 1.05 version:

-Japanese languade added
-Tm now at the title screen
-About one of the easter eggs in the name the child screen
when you write "r" of gaster the game resets now, works with the Romaji alphabet in the japanese mode
-
It seems the dog shrine music is in the files but dummied out
-Changes to how the game pack files and script so translations and mod tools need to be updated now.

Top Bottom