• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Really early in the game so just looking for basic advice so I don't start off on the wrong foot.

should I be trying to avoid fighting enemies and instead working out how to make them yellow and sparing them? Just that doesn't give any XP so I wanted to check

DNAbro

Really early in the game so just looking for basic advice so I don't start off on the wrong foot.

should I be trying to avoid fighting enemies and instead working out how to make them yellow and sparing them? Just that doesn't give any XP so I wanted to check

You should play how you want, it's more about the your decision and what it means to you.

There are "optimal" ways to play the game, but I recommend playing however you want.

phoenixyz

The game can be played without earning any XP, no problem. Don't worry about that. But if you want to fight enemies and gather XP, you should do that.

It's a little different compared to standard RPGs in that staying Level 1 won't hamper your endgame progress. Sparing enemies comes with a number of advantages / disadvantages, but you won't find yourself, say, getting one-shotted by wild monsters in the final stretch because you didn't earn any EXP or anything like that.

Plot question:

If Flowey and you have the power to SAVE and LOAD, why didn't the other kids do the same?
There are various theories if I recall correctly. Some speculated that the other children didn't have the sufficient means to Save and Load and just bit the dust when they ran into Asgore the first time. It could also be, like mbpm1 said, that they did keep trying to Load their way through the Underground, but there was simply no winnable scenario, and accepted death.

Considering the unique circumstances of the player Character and Flowey throughout the story, it's hard to nail down the particulars of Determination as a phenomenon.

Nohar

So, I bought the game. I enjoyed it. My playthroughs were the following: Neutral, Pacifist, No Mercy.

Regarding the No Mercy ending:

Oh God... What have I done?... People weren't kidding when they said I would feel bad. That is frankly insane.

Also, Sans, I never want to fight you again. You were an awesome boss, but I've learned my lesson.

Just played through this game over the weekend, got the
Neutral and True Pacifist
endings... I really liked the game a lot. The story was great, soundtrack was fantastic (the music playing during the
Asriel
fight was perfect) and I really liked how the game messed with you. Couldn't put it down once I started playing :)

Saikyo

Just played through this game over the weekend, got the
Neutral and True Pacifist
endings... I really liked the game a lot. The story was great, soundtrack was fantastic (the music playing during the
Asriel
fight was perfect) and I really liked how the game messed with you. Couldn't put it down once I started playing :)

Good

Now its time to kill everyone
: )

Just kidding, I guess you had your fill of the game

Nohar

Well, that game really touched my SOUL. I keep thinking about it weeks after completing it, listening to covers/remixes of the game's musics. It truly was a great experience.

Regarding the fate of a specific character (huge Pacifist ending spoilers):
Poor Asriel... He didn't deserve that fate. The Golden Ending feels so bittersweet knowing he is the only one no one can save... Along with maybe Dr. W.D. Gaster.

There are still many questions unanswered. Is Toby planning to make an update or a sequel? There is also the Hard mode, though, well, who knows if he will ever complete it.

Damn, that story is good.

PSqueak

Banned
There are still many questions unanswered. Is Toby planning to make an update or a sequel? There is also the Hard mode, though, well, who knows if he will ever complete it.

Damn, that story is good.

The thing is
Hard Mode
is a red herring
To discourage people from using the name Frisk.
It was never meant to be finished.

Saikyo

What do i need to know before start playing this game?

If you want to just see one ending have fun

If you dont have any problem replaying to see another ending (the game is not long) , have fun and read the spoilers after completing it for the first time.

if you have problem replaying, read the spoilers:

dont kill anyone, run or try to mercy then, there are only two enemies that you cant do that

after the first ending you need to befriend certain three characters

Ostinatto

If you want to just see one ending have fun

If you dont have any problem replaying to see another ending (the game is not long) , have fun and read the spoilers after completing it for the first time.

if you have problem replaying, read the spoilers:

dont kill anyone, run or try to mercy then, there are only two enemies that you cant do that

after the first ending you need to befriend certain three characters

Ok.

Nohar

What do i need to know before start playing this game?

Stay away from the internet. Do not spoil yourself anything. It will require a lot of determination, but, believe me, it will be rewarding.

... I think I have trouble leaving behind this universe.

PSqueak

Banned
Recently replayed this for the third time, a couple of things i noticed this time that i didn't notice before.

-The first color panel puzzle didn't comically chug an easy solution, Alphys tampered with it.
-Alphy's cup that looks like her was a gift from Asgore
-Metatton's soul is upside down
-The drunk bunny at Grillby's is in love with Sans
-Grillby himself never spoke to you
-The number of snow dog sculptures depends on how much you pet lesser dog
-If you change the yellow names to pink you can find the discarded yellow names in the garbage area, however the message flashes incredibly fast, if you try to read it again you get sarcastic messages about it until it goes back to the default message.
-Frisk asks if ASGORE, not Toriel, is a goat, Gerson for some reason mentions Toriel before explaining neither of them are goats
-Papyrus wears a cape, not a scarf as 100% of the fanartists will lead you to believe
-The game takes place in a much further time than i originally thought, prolly around 205X or further, it's supposed to be several decades after Chara fell down.

I love that the game keeps on giving.

jnWake

Recently replayed this for the third time, a couple of things i noticed this time that i didn't notice before.

-The number of snow dog sculptures depends on how much you pet lesser dog

I love that the game keeps on giving.

You should try petting him SEVERAL (I really mean several) times and watch the hilarity.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Just on a whim decided to check this out a few days ago cause it was on a friend's PC and had vaguely heard of its many accolades...man, this game is gonna turn me into a PC gamer...the music...the emotions, the conflicts...

Seriously, was Toby even trying to outdo Yoko Taro and Nasu in crazy story telling?? Cause he almost did so, and this guy isn't even an 'official game writer' either. He beats the pants off of Ken Levine's attempt in Infinite, especially regarding
parallel timelines and alternate multiverse theory

I know that any way to play the game is usually recommended, but i'm assuming..

Neutral playthrough followed by True Pacifist playthrough is the 'most legitimate' storywise for those not looking to see absolutely everything?

I know visual novels i've played have story beats(via dead ends or alternate choices) that are not absolutely necessary or canon to the route itself, but are there to flesh out everything.

I've beaten Neutral, as well as True Pacifist one after another myself, but i have never been one for being evil in games where they give you a choice.

And i've already read the wiki fully for the Genocide run as well as post genonide. It feels like Toby was trying to...not punish...but reprimand those players for being evil just to satisfy their curiosity by forever leaving them at the mercy of Chara, always destroying the universe at the end of the route and having no salvation from that fate

Plus, after true pacifist, Az basically says to me to stop playing the game there to preserve that feeling, so i'm guessing its the case...? Lol

Ultimadrago

20160506_193951hbbae.jpg

D'aaw~

Please promise me to never do what this guy did to the plush.

Yes, the Toriel plush has a Heart/Soul hidden inside of her.

Haha oh wow! That's a nice touch though.

Nohar

So, I stumbled upon this very interesting analysis of
Chara
, describing how they are actually
the narrator of the game in all runs
. It really shines a new light on everything I took for granted about
Chara
, it just makes too much sense. Especially some little details I never realized before, like when we
SAVE Asriel in his boss fight: Fritz has no memories of how Asriel and Chara meet. It is Chara who is able to reach out to Asriel and share their memories of their very first meeting.

It is just too tragic that these two children died. They are the real heroes of Undertale. They are the ones who deserve to be saved the most. Asriel is doomed to an illusion of a life, since he is now soulless, and he will turn back into Flowey at some point. Chara, meanwhile, is stuck with Fritz's soul, and doesn't have a life of their own anymore. These two share a terrible fate. They don't deserve that. They deserve to be free. They deserve to be happy. I refuse to accept that this is how it ends for them. I am fully determined to see them saved one day. Not immediately, obviously, but I believe they will.

I am filled with DETERMINATION.

jnWake

I never truly understood why (Genocide spoilers)
you "turn" into Chara during the Genocide run. After Chara died his soul or whatever was transferred to Frisk?

Capra

I actually just read that the other day. It makes complete sense and personally I really, really like it. Especially in how it re-contextualizes
Chara
's role in the game and their status among the fandom.

Chara is basically a scapegoat in the Undertale fandom for their own actions as players. When people do a Genocide Run, they tend to do so after naming Frisk Chara, and in fanart people always portray Chara as this Lucifer-esque red-eyed pretty boy/girl. They basically treat Chara as The Devil "forcing" them to kill everyone in the game just to see the end of that run. But really, Chara's just as helpless and innocent as Asriel - possibly even moreso.

Chara wasn't perfect, but they weren't a demon. The fans' insistence on blaming Chara for everything that happens in a Genocide Run is very much in the same vein as those who scapegoat others to alleviate their own guilt and escape responsibility. Chara, because we don't know much about them, creates a safe "other" for players to project their actions on and distance themselves from their responsibility during a Genocide Run. And what's worse is that the Undertale fandom is generally one that is supposed to be opposed to these scapegoating tactics in real life, where they would be vocal against people demonizing others due to their race, sexual preference, gender identity, etc.

So, I stumbled upon this very interesting analysis of
Chara
, describing how they are actually
the narrator of the game in all runs

I generally go into all "fan theories" about any piece of media assuming they'll be complete and total bullshit (because usually people just line up some random facts in a shape that has no respect for narrative or theme to "prove" that some "twist" happened), but this one makes a case very convincingly. The detail explained here supports the thematic content of the game, and actually explains a few elements better than the game does otherwise (like,
the interpretation where Chara is inherently a monster doesn't really explain why they let Frisk do their thing normally or why the Dreemur family care about them so much if they're so terrible; this neatly covers both.
) So, basically: impressed.

NEO0MJ

I actually just read that the other day. It makes complete sense and personally I really, really like it. Especially in how it re-contextualizes
Chara
's role in the game and their status among the fandom.

Chara is basically a scapegoat in the Undertale fandom for their own actions as players. When people do a Genocide Run, they tend to do so after naming Frisk Chara, and in fanart people always portray Chara as this Lucifer-esque red-eyed pretty boy/girl. They basically treat Chara as The Devil "forcing" them to kill everyone in the game just to see the end of that run. But really, Chara's just as helpless and innocent as Asriel - possibly even moreso.

While I don't blame Chara for the Genocide run I'm not sure they're all that innocent. Chara pushed Asriel into a plan he wasn't comfortable with, guilted their family, and was willing to murder a whole village.

Kientin

I love everything about this and it fits so well. It
adds so much to Chara's and Asriel's character. Especially Chara who seemed like a one dimensional edgelord before.
With this in mind, I might have to replay this again now. That said:

While I don't blame Chara for the Genocide run I'm not sure they're all that innocent. Chara pushed Asriel into a plan he wasn't comfortable with, guilted their family, and was willing to murder a whole village.

I got to agree with this. Chara under this analysis has a lot of good things about him. That still doesn't excuse his intent to kill a bunch of people. Being just a kid, did he deserve the fate he got? Probably not. But he had it coming with his plan. It's unfortunate that Asrial shared his fate. Like it was talking about, probably if they both had a little more time to grow this could have been avoided.

PSqueak

Banned
I never truly understood why (Genocide spoilers)
you "turn" into Chara during the Genocide run. After Chara died his soul or whatever was transferred to Frisk?

As i understand it.

Chara, as i have mentioned before in the thread has 2 roles, one is chara the character in the story, the other is chara the meta concept.

The meta concept is you, you are chara, you have a desire to beat the game, you are conditioned to kill monsters in rpgs, you want to do every possible route and outcome in the game, you want to see all the variations, what ifs and everything.

Chara, the character has a lingering influence on the world, specially when it comes to Asriel, Flowey and Frisk. Chara wanted to destroy everything, specially humanity, it's not clear why this was, but that was Chara's goal.

Now, when you engage in typical RPG violence, Chara's influence becomes stronger (that's why it Chara's name the interface displays), the more violence YOU as a player commit, the more violent Frisk's actions get and the more power Chara acquires.

By the end of the genocide route your actions have made Frisk completely vulnerable and Chara too powerful, so Chara just takes over and finally adresses you, the player directly, Chara invites you to destroy the world and move to the next [video game] so you can continue to engage in the self indulgent slaughter of assorted videogame enemies. If you "refuse" Chara just asserts that you have made his influence powerful enough so he doesn't need you to "destroy" the world.

Nohar

I just had this dream of a recreation of Kyon's choice during The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, except with
Fritz / Corrupted Chara
of Undertale during a Genocide run, with a darker approach. I have it pictured in my head perfectly, with the perfect dialogue for such a recreation. It was an awesome fantasy, but I don't have the talent to make that happen. Someone needs to make that happen.

Anyhow, I guess it is time to wait for Toby's next game. I'll be looking forward to it.

Korosenai

So playing this game for the first time and what exactly is that attack bar? Is it just a meter bar or something? And what am I shooting at the enemies? It's like some red liquid or something.

Kinsei

Banned
So playing this game for the first time and what exactly is that attack bar? Is it just a meter bar or something? And what am I shooting at the enemies? It's like some red liquid or something.

It's a timing thing. The closer to the middle you stop it the stronger your attack is. You're not shooting anything, it's a slash.

L95

Yeah, it's a slash, though the attack animation changes depending on what weapon you have equipped. (I assume you are using the plastic knife?)

Saikyo

Aim for the center, in the start its a hit from a stick, later in the game you can equip other weapons, some do multi-hits after the first attack. Also dont sell your stick, its optional but it can be useful later.

PSqueak

Banned
It's interesting they made the point to mention they'd refer to the protagonist in male pronouns, i mean, what else would they do? the character is referred to as "The human" through the game, which would translate to "El Humano", while gramatically the "humano" noun is gendered as male, conceptually it refers to a generic non gender specific human, which anybody looking to play undertale in spanish would understand and not asume they're assigning the character a gender.

I spotted an error on their demo video, Mettaton's last question is worded incorrectly, they wrote "¿A quien le gusta la doctora Alphys?" which translates to "Who likes Dr. Alphys?" rather than "Who does Dr. Alphys like?", the correct translation would be "¿Quien le gusta a la doctora Alphys?", as the translation is right now in that video answering "the human" or "Asgore" would lead to dialogue that make no sense, and altho "Undyne" and "don't know" would sort of make sense, it still would not be what the original lines intended.

Currently just passed the waterfalls area (by the Snail Farm and Snail Racing) so dont know how far I am in.

Loving it so far, but early on I killed a creature as no matter what I did it wouldn't let me spare it. If I go back to the start and not kill anything will I get a different ending? Trying to judge how many times I need to complete the game.

Also Sans and his brother are the best

Top Bottom