• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale |OT| Indie RPG with determination and spider bake sales

So I've gotten pretty far in this game, I'm at
the Core and in the Mettaton fight where he's in EX mode
, and I gotta say I'm so frustrated with this combat system I'm about ready to just uninstall it. I'm not sure I can even win this fight. If there was a narrative-only mode I'd just switch to that at this point to finish the story and be done with it. Though the dialogue and characters have been enjoyable, the later stages have just soured me on the whole thing. Bullet hell with a keyboard isn't my idea of a fun time. I wish this had just been a straight adventure game. I guess I'm in a small minority on GAF who isn't loving this.

, and I gotta say I'm so frustrated with this combat system I'm about ready to just uninstall it. I'm not sure I can even win this fight. If there was a narrative-only mode I'd just switch to that at this point to finish the story and be done with it. Though the dialogue and characters have been enjoyable, the later stages have just soured me on the whole thing. Bullet hell with a keyboard isn't my idea of a fun time. I wish this had just been a straight adventure game. I guess I'm in a small minority on GAF who isn't loving this.

Buy burgers from the hotel before the core, eating one grants you 300-500 ratings.

Buy burgers from the hotel before the core, eating one grants you 300-500 ratings.

Thanks...I didn't even know what the
ratings
were for, I haven't used any guides, but I guess that's important somehow. I just don't have much gold left and don't really feel like grinding.

Thanks...I didn't even know what the
ratings
were for, I haven't used any guides, but I guess that's important somehow. I just don't have much gold left and don't really feel like grinding.

Taking damage, dodge a round, eat burgers, lots of action increase your ratings. You finish the fight when you reach 10000 rating,

Saikyo

Tips:

Write "Legs" on his essay, it will give the most points
Eating MTT food will make the rating go up
Changing your armor make the rating go up too
Remember the stick? Use it, ratings go up...
If you died A LOT go talk to temmie and buy her armor, it should be cheaper now
If you want gold buy Cloudy Glasses from Gerson and sell it to Temmie

But I agree that the game could have a mode that there is less or none of the mini-danmaku stuff.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

I suffered the keyboard bullet hell as much as you, but let me tell you: Ending is worth it.

Thanks, your words have filled with me with (some) determination!

I think one thing that's offputting about Undertale for me is that I usually play RPGs to relax, and mostly play turn-based RPGs. But in Undertale it's more like doopdedoopcoolmusicfunnycharactersochill---ohmygodbullethellhowdoIspareahhhhg---doopdedoop ...so that pacing feels very bipolar to me, at turns both soothing and manic.

CassSept

Oh Christ I'm so close to finishing it but [deep genocide spoilers]
I've finally survived the second phase of Sans fight but the final attack looks insane... it took me quite a few times to even reach it and it looks like it requires some practice to survive.... when ou need to get through everything before it to even take a stab at it...

Daamn.

I've finally survived the second phase of Sans fight but the final attack looks insane... it took me quite a few times to even reach it and it looks like it requires some practice to survive.... when ou need to get through everything before it to even take a stab at it...

Daamn.

Watch videos of the fight to try and memorize it that way, but the best advice I can give is to keep it tight. Over adjusting will kill you. So stay close to the center and do small movements to avoid the attacks. At the end, the closer you are to the center, the safer you'll be.

Honestly, I had a harder time with the attacks leading up to it. Those throws to the walls got so fast, it was hard to adjust when you're used to a specific timing. So I was already dying by the time it actually kicked off.

Saikyo

Daamn.

Are you equiping the Burnt Pan (Hotland) so you can heal more a little more? Also dont forget the noodles in Alphys fridge in her laboratory and of course leave this and the pie as the last items to use vs Sans

Dont know if this work on version 1.01 but if you are playing on keyboard you can "cheese" the "hands" part of Sans holding all directions

Acerac

Banned

Daamn.

Took me ages to get past that part, but once I did...

Well, it was the only fight in Genocide I felt good about winning.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Up to the final Genocide battle and I can barely survive the first attack... I only have one snowman piece left and threw away my instant noodles and burnt pan, thinking they'd be worthless... fuuuuu :( I only have a bunch of the item that heals 40 HP from MTT Burger. Am I screwed? Any advice?

NEO0MJ

Up to the final Genocide battle and I can barely survive the first attack... I only have one snowman piece left and threw away my instant noodles and burnt pan, thinking they'd be worthless... fuuuuu :( I only have a bunch of the item that heals 40 HP from MTT Burger. Am I screwed? Any advice?

Nothing to say except to stay determined.

The fight only progresses when you attack him so try to do that as often as possible. You'll eventually reach a point where he'll stop attacking you, which is the perfect chance to heal.

CassSept

I've finally beaten him this week, I had a face steak, snowman piece, 6 legendary heroes and no burnt pan so it's doable. You're screwed either way, the fight is mostly about learning the patterns and surviving.

Acerac

Banned
It's gonna require a ton of practice. Knowing the fight is far more important than having healing items.

Determination. It's worth it.

Saikyo

Its still doable, lets see...

Problem about money to buy more healing items from burger pants?
Buy Cloudy Glasses from Gerson and sell it to Temmie
About the first attack, its simple:
after the hands parts remember: center, up, center, up
You can cheese the
hands
part later in the keyboard
holding all the directions
MAYBE you can try to buy some Sea Tea if you really need the speed but its better if you focus on having HP.

Other than that its a endurance test and remember patterns, good luck and stay D E T E R M I N E D, you are almost there.

jnWake

I recently finished this game, all three endings.

Neutral was awesome. I killed Toriel at the beggining so I had a true "not pacifist / not genocide" experience and it was cool. Final boss is simply one of the most memorable fights ever IMO.

True Pacifist was also cool. The date with Undyne is hilarious and the True Lab is damn creepy with incredible music. I didn't feel that strongly about the final boss and ending though, way too happy-ish for me haha.

Genocide was "fun" but a tad disappointing to me. I loved the two real fights in the run but wished there was more. Mettaton NEO should have been a real battle instead of a one hit KO.

In any case, the game is really good. Soundtrack is awesome.

I haven't played in a month, but feel like trying either a pacifist or genocide run.

Am I supposed to just restart, or do I need to reload my final boss save point and do something from there?

NEO0MJ

I haven't played in a month, but feel like trying either a pacifist or genocide run.

Am I supposed to just restart, or do I need to reload my final boss save point and do something from there?

That depends.
Did you kill anything in your last playthrough? If you did you have to restart the game in order to do a true pacifist route. Don't forget to save the monster kid and give Undyne water. You also have to date Papyrus and undyne.

I know I can't get either ending from my current save.
It was my first blind playthrough.

I was mostly wondering if I had to simply restart from menu, or from an option at end.

The menu. As far as I know, short of something that has been patched in, the ending doesn't give you a restart option. It should just send you back to the main menu.

chiimisu

Stumbled upon an amazing fan-made battle today, you guys should check it out too! Warning: spoilers for all the endings
https://youtu.be/786bb0vGdJM
Chara did nothing wrong
I somehow wish it was made official. I liked the Alphys one, but I like this one even more. I'll keep a close eye on this project.

I just watched a YouTube vid that had
Undyne's speech
from the genocide run and it made me reflect on my own playthrough.

"There's a burning feeling I can't describe. A burning feeling that WON'T let me die. This isn't just about monsters anymore, is it? If you get past me, you'll... You'll destroy them all, won't you? Monsters... Humans... Everyone... Everyone's hopes. Everyone's dreams. Vanquished in an instant. But I WON'T let you do that. Right now, everyone in the world... I can feel their hearts beating as one. And we all have ONE goal. To defeat YOU. Human. No, WHATEVER you are. For the sake of the whole world... I, UNDYNE, will strike you down!"

Because, she did strike me down. I couldn't beat her, I tried for hours and eventually just gave up. That's my story in the genocide route, I was defeated by the hero.
That made me like this game even more.

Alpha_eX

So I played and finished this game over the weekend, I went through killing the random encounter battles and didn't really kill many, though I did kill
Undyne
and
the King (by mistake)

This lead me to fight
Flowery and Omega(?) Flowery
, what ending did I get here?

Have I ruined anything so that I can't play through again and get different endings?

Zeroth

So I played and finished this game over the weekend, I went through killing the random encounter battles and didn't really kill many, though I did kill
Undyne
and
the King (by mistake)

This lead me to fight

Have I ruined anything so that I can't play through again and get different endings?

You'll have to start a new game if you want to do a Genocide of a Pacifist run. If on your first playthrough you were full pacifist, you can go straight to the part you need to complete to reach the True Pacifist ending, but in your case you'll need to start the game from 0.

Saikyo

Undyne
and
the King (by mistake)

This lead me to fight

You got the
Neutral ending
but you can reset and play again to get another ending, just remember to
spare everyone or run away, help Monster Kid, give water to Undyne (you will know) and befriend Papyrus, Undyne and Alphys

About the King
You are forced to fight him in all endings so dont worry

Alpha_eX

Thanks guys, I don't think I can do another run right now (first one was draining at the end!) but I'll do a Pacifist one next. I really can't bring myself to do a Genocide one, not after 2-3 pacifist runs!

Top Bottom