• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

I'm so glad that I'll finally be able to watch all those Undertale videos on YouTube.

Oh, and also play the game. Been avoiding spoilers on this for ages, just in case.

Hope you guys liked the OT! I didn't want to spoil anything huge but at the same time I didn't know just how much is too much. Sorry if it's a little corny! I've been in the hospital and have been a bit bored.

I so can't wait to play this game! I've been dying to play it for so long but my computer was not available for me to use (and now it's broken) so I've been yearning for a console release.

Now it's finally here! Thank you Toby and 8-4!
Thanks for the OT and I hope you get well soon!

Phatcorns

Playing on vita. Basically my first time since I only got to the first village in the pc version.

One question, why doesn't the vita version fill the whole screen? I know it's not widescreen but it doesn't even reach to the top and bottom of the screen.

aravuus

Not one of the mega fans either, but it was a pretty great experience on PC and I'm excited to revisit it on the PS4. Can't decide whether to go for all the endings again or not.

Zero315

Banned
I'm loving the trophy descriptions lol
Yes! The first four you get are awesome!

Don't Worry, I Have Lots of Ideas for Trophies: Get an Item
Like Getting Items: Get Two Items
Or Getting More Items: Get Three Items
Help Me, I'm Out of Ideas: Get Four Items

Yazuka

Great thread!
Never played this before, well okay just a tried it on steam. So I'm really looking forward to see what the big deal is. I made a preorder for the physical version from fangamer so I'm waiting for that to arrive.

Can't wait to play this. Bought it at about half past midnight before I went to bed but I'll probably sit on it until next week, as I'm away on holiday with the family and it should be a perfect game on the Vita. I don't know much about it aside from having seen a little bit of footage and knowing that you can do complete pacifist runs.

cant wait to shell out for a switch port

Good for you, but it's not relevant to this topic and I don't think the mods look kindly on Switch port begging.

TheOGB

Banned
I actually played this for the first time just before this verision was announced, back in April. Couldn't stop thinking about it. Can't wait to replay it!

Actually, maybe I can wait....

john tv

Playing on vita. Basically my first time since I only got to the first village in the pc version.

One question, why doesn't the vita version fill the whole screen? I know it's not widescreen but it doesn't even reach to the top and bottom of the screen.
We fiddled with it early on but the resolution is such that it caused a lot of double pixels and general ugliness when stretched to fit the top and bottom of the screen (especially in Japanese), to the point that we decided to keep it in its original res. Hope it looks nice enough!

Joey Ravn

Banned
The GOAT. Literally, in some cases.

Can't wait to dive deep into Undertale again. And it's an 8-4 joint, so that makes it doubly sweet!

so, curious how they handled a certain part of the game, at the end, if anyone reached it :

how did they do the game crashing, did they just launched like a fake ps4 menu where they said the game stopped working?

Occam

While I have preordered the physical edition, I can't wait until December. Purchased the digital version to play on my Vita just now.

sonto340

so, curious how they handled a certain part of the game, at the end, if anyone reached it :

how did they do the game crashing, did they just launched like a fake ps4 menu where they said the game stopped working?
I’m lookin forward to seeing how they deal with this myself.

AEREC

So I already have this on PC but never played it past the first half hour. I wouldn't mind having this in portable form though.

Without any spoilers what is the best way to play this game, PC or Vita?

Also the character limit on names (6) is pretty short and I didn't get to name the child what I wanted. I'm guessing that hasn't changed in the PS4\Vita version.

JC Lately

Saw a PS4 stream on twitch last night:

Game didn't crash before the Omega Flowey fight, it just reset itself to the bogus "glitched" opening. The streamer then intentionally threw the fight to see what happens. You still get the scrolling "HAHAHA" screen, then the graphics and music appear to glitch out and lock up the game for a few seconds, before reseting directly into the battle again.

I didn't stay up late enough to see the Genocide ending though, so no idea how they handle that choice.

Saw a PS4 stream on twitch last night:

Game didn't crash before the Omega Flowey fight, it just reset itself to the bogus "glitched" opening. The streamer then intentionally threw the fight to see what happens. You still get the scrolling "HAHAHA" screen, then the graphics and music appear to glitch out and lock up the game for a few seconds, before resting directly into the battle again.

I didn't stay up late enough to see the Genocide ending though, so no idea how they handle that choice.

eeeeh.... not that great IMO, it has less impact... would have been better to throw what i said earlier, it wouldn't have been too difficult to make.... i think?

thanks for the answer

konjak

eeeeh.... not that great IMO, it has less impact... would have been better to throw what i said earlier, it wouldn't have been too difficult to make.... i think?

thanks for the answer

Sony would never allow
pretending a crash on their system. If you ever try to submit a game to them you'd know how meticulous they (and the other platforms) are about presenting themselves accurately and reliably. Even if they allowed it, they may very likely update firmware which makes it weirder.

yyr

Not port begging, just curious if an Xbox One version has been announced or is planned. Anyone know? If not I might grab it on Vita.

DNAbro

Not port begging, just curious if an Xbox One version has been announced or is planned. Anyone know? If not I might grab it on Vita.

No. One of the expressed purpose of the port was a Japanese localization since less Japanese players play on PC, so they decided on PS4/Vita.

yyr

No. One of the expressed purpose of the port was a Japanese localization since less Japanese players play on PC, so they decided on PS4/Vita.

Well, I guess that makes sense, if that was one of the main reasons for the port. Thanks!

Burbeting

Banned
Something about
doing all of the dog shrine trophies
was so hysterical, and I don't know why.

Still a great game, like on PC.

Phatcorns

We fiddled with it early on but the resolution is such that it caused a lot of double pixels and general ugliness when stretched to fit the top and bottom of the screen (especially in Japanese), to the point that we decided to keep it in its original res. Hope it looks nice enough!

Looks great, John! Thanks so much for the hard work and I'm absolutely loving it. Seems like an absolutely spot on port from the little I played of the PC version.

Can't wait to hear some behind the scenes on the podcast.

Shifty

thanks for the answer

They'd probably have to do what
Fez
did and
spoof a crash with their own fake 'Undertale OS' type interface
, which would probably fall a bit flat given how it was done on PC.

Imitating the system UI is very likely prohibited by the platform TRCs:
  • First, on principle because
    it looks like a crash and therefore is a huge red flag for the 'console experience'
  • Second, branding- it would have to be a perfect working recreation of that part of the system UI, which isn't as easy as you'd think given all the fancy animations
  • And third, because the UI might change with a system update

Top Bottom