• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undertale (PS4/Vita) |OT| Sans Keyboard

LiK

Haha, Toby had some fun with a few trophies. Anyway, super easy Platinum. This is a fantastic port, simply flawless.

.Anema

First time with this game (I was waiting for console release) and Im loving it. A really good experience. I've played 3 hours and now im a friend with the
skeleton
and donated all my money to the dog lol, reached level 10.
Can't wait to see more about this adventure!!

Not

Banned
This is important to me. Go in blind.
I first beat the game not knowing there were different endings, killing just enough enemies to level up a few times, and I'm glad I did so. I also killed Toriel and Undyne as I didn't know what else I could do to spare them. It made my encounter with Sans at the end that much more impactful.

HUUUUGE SPOILER:
Can't imagine not having the "Execution Points" reveal without ever having gained any. Felt so good and rewarding.

BTA

HUUUUGE SPOILER:
Can't imagine not having the "Execution Points" reveal without ever having gained any. Felt so good and rewarding.

I think when I'd finished my first playthrough I had known that you saving everyone was not only possible but had a different ending, but that (and there's a scene with Undyne naming specific enemies you've killed, isn't there? that counts for this too) still really hit me hard, even though I'd only killed a few random enemies. Actually- I probably would have killed Toriel but I had heard you could avoid doing that, so I figured it out.

I know it's hard to go in blind at this point, but just play it like you would play it without knowing anything about it.

Fat4all

Banned
First time with this game (I was waiting for console release) and Im loving it. A really good experience. I've played 3 hours and now im a friend with the
skeleton
and donated all my money to the dog lol, reached level 10.
Can't wait to see more about this adventure!!

pasta-spaghettimeatballs.png

Chase17

Early game spoilers like first 40 minutes.

That flower really freaked me out at the start, what a troll.

I accidentally killed toriel and reloaded my save but the game still knew I killed her before then that flower rubs that fact in. What are the point of save points if the game remember these stuff. I'm going guess the save points act as a kind of time travel mechanic.

What did I get myself into.

Also the Nier Automata folks recommend me to get this game and only reason I didn't was because it was only on PC.

I did the same thing. It was ten times worse than getting called out by Ressiti in Animal crossing!

1upsuper

That's kind of disappointing.

Yeah, seems like that "solution" ruins the moment. Damn.
It's almost certainly would have gotten in the way of certification, but a certain other game series has done more drastic things on console.

Haven't read those spoilers but is it something I would miss out on playing on vita?

You'd miss out on it by playing on either PS4 or Vita, compared to how it was on PC. It's a mechanic on one of the bosses that could not be replicated through a console port, so they changed it for these releases. The way they did it isn't bad, just it loses a bit of the impact that it had on PC. The game is by no means ruined due to the change.

Lynx_7

This isn't fair, I want the PS4 theme but I didn't know about it until it was too late to preorder. Screw exclusive preorder bonuses just let me buy the thing >_>

Mariip

Meh it is kinda of immersion breaking but I guess it is the best they can do.
I think it only breaks the immersion when you've already knows what's coming, tbh

i'd freak out if the game crashed and restarted, i mean, that lil bastard still knows everything you've done and didn't have the guts to save, restarting the game should be meta enough... but yeah it WOULD be awesome if the game actually crashed but i don't think they'd allow a game to crash itself or even close by itself on ps4/vita

Zomba13

I think it only breaks the immersion when you've already knows what's coming, tbh

i'd freak out if the game crashed and restarted, i mean, that lil bastard still knows everything you've done and didn't have the guts to save, restarting the game should be meta enough... but yeah it WOULD be awesome if the game actually crashed but i don't think they'd allow a game to crash itself or even close by itself on ps4/vita

I do wonder (big major spoilers and such)
if they would've been allowed to have some kind of mock PS4/Vita home menu? Like if inside the game they designed a very similar looking and sounding (so as to avoid copyright issues) interface to the default home menus but with Undertale being the only selectable thing. Though maybe that would give away the fuckery more than just going back to the titlescreen? Becasue you'd know it wasn't your homescreen because of the lack of games/friends/folders/themes.

Anyway, I really hope people new to the game are enjoying it. I totally get the feeling of "Urgh, everyone is talking about Undertale and they are so annoying!" I was one of those before I tried it. It seemed like something I'd love but everyone going on about how great it was made me hesitant because then if I ended up not liking it then it'd be weird. But nah, I loved it so much and felt it was as great as the praise said it was. Plus the music is fantastic and uses leitmotif to great effect (and I fucking love me some good leitmotif).

I would try to
"fake" a crash screen INSIDE the game and return back to the menu but I don't know if Sony allows developers to do that.

PEOPLE, don't listen to anyone telling you how you should play, just do the first run completely blind, do what oyu want in it, just appreciate the game, and see what unfold!

when i killed toriel the first time, foolishly believing that i could just spare her after her health was low... man that hit hard, i didn't tried to reload my save, but if i did and saw what flowey told me for the first time, i wouldn't have loaded it anymore after that

john tv

BTW guys, if anyone here has experienced the Trophy bug, it would be AWESOME if you PMed me your PSN name and (if possible) a photo of your trophy list with the missing trophy.

The bug is super rare, but it's happening to a select few people, and Sony is looking into it now. (We couldn't reproduce it ourselves despite trying numerous times.)

Hope you're enjoying the game! :D

EDIT: Someone was kind enough to send some info that helped us figure it out (I think). Testing a patch now, hoping to have it fixed in a couple of days.

Downloaded it this morning and I'm going in blind tonight. I know absolutely nothing about it except that it has quite a fanbase. Pretty excited to finally give it a try.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Have fun guys. Undertale is one my favourite games ever. I wish I could experience it again for the first time,

Hmmm I'm tempted to pick this up on Vita, seems perfect for that and the rep this game has is crazy.

It's only £11 too but my backlog overfloweth lol

Yukinari

PEOPLE, don't listen to anyone telling you how you should play, just do the first run completely blind, do what oyu want in it, just appreciate the game, and see what unfold!

when i killed toriel the first time, foolishly believing that i could just spare her after her health was low... man that hit hard, i didn't tried to reload my save, but if i did and saw what flowey told me for the first time, i wouldn't have loaded it anymore after that

That boss is one of the worst conveyed in the game on what you have to do. It robs you of the best ending just because its unintuitive.

Ive seen blind playthroughs and its usually the culprit.

That boss is one of the worst conveyed in the game on what you have to do. It robs you of the best ending just because its unintuitive.

that's the whole point....
the game clearly told you via a frog what to do... also you can spare normal ennemies by lowering their health and then sparing them... that what i did with toriel, and i payed the price, and i loved it, and some people will try to reload, that's also what toby wanted considering what flowey told you after that! And i was still satisfied by the ending since it tells you what you've done, and it motivated me to spare everyone

the game isn't that long so it wasn't hard to redo it again

EDIT : whoops, sorry for the double-post

Fat4all

Banned

That boss is brilliant, because of what happens directly after that fight.

Especially when you go back to try and correct it.

I didn't think so. I do find one of the later fights unintuitive, but this one had a particular tell to it.
As her ellipses grew every time you chose not to fight, so you were getting some acknowledgement from her that didn't come off as an infinitely repeating response.

Gardex

I don't know about that, the game even gives you a hint
with the Froggit that not-so-subtly tells you that you one day might have to spare a monster even when their name isn't yellow. Not to mention that pressing spare against Toriel makes her respond with a speech bubble with clearly progressing text every time

Top Bottom