• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

Played the demo myself. I was hesitant since I've got so much on my plate right now, but this is among my most anticipated games of the year, being Vanillaware and all. I love all of it. Granted I wish there were a few character designs a bit more my style, but what is there is good and the whole game oozes charm and quality from backgrounds, animations, music, even the story I've been thoroughly enjoying.

This is one I'll be buying several times over to show support. Also looking forward to hearing that 16 bit music in the Collector's Edition.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I don't know if a gambit system is enough to satisfy me, as much as i want to like this game. Wish there was just more meat on its bones

I spent a few more hours with the game today and it isn’t for me. At least not at this time.

I’ll circle back to it later this year when my mood is in for a more passive game. I just was expecting more engagement on my part and gameplay for actual fights.

My own fault for not watching more videos to understand it’s an auto battler … but really just a skip battler.

Kacho

I spent a few more hours with the game today and it isn’t for me. At least not at this time.

I’ll circle back to it later this year when my mood is in for a more passive game. I just was expecting more engagement on my part and gameplay for actual fights.

My own fault for not watching more videos to understand it’s an auto battler … but really just a skip battler.
Nothing wrong with that. I felt the same about Ogre Battle on the SNES. Eventually it clicked.

Isa

It could also be perspective. For example its really not to dissimilar to other strategy rpgs like Shining Force, Fire Emblem or Ogre Battle. Instead of thinking of commanding each member of a unit individually think of them acting as one cohesive whole, that you can customize to using skills at certain triggers. How you organize that unit also takes precedence since formations and class composition are important as well. I don't mind the skipping animations bit myself since it kept the pace fast. Some old Srpgs would take forever and a day since there were so many units to see move about.

I get it though, and honestly it can be good to be in the right mindset for anything. Music is hugely important for that, at least anything beyond pop haha. Force the issue and tear the tissue lol.

NanaMiku

cFG4F5lagE5bZVcDT-my61Yeuhy150B5NjyavBGpmXeyso1PeA_XopKAP-4rEudy7IUuh3Ic7L7u-w=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd-v1-rwa

Noah Centineo Chef GIF by Allure

Kacho

Yeah this is screaming 10/10 to me. Gonna be an instant classic when it drops and will likely be my personal GOTY.

The whole vibe is just perfect. Reminds me a lot of FFT in that regard. Everything is grounded and believable.

Combat is awesome. I’m eager to level up the various classes and see what they can do, especially in the harder battles.

cireza

How you organize that unit also takes precedence since formations
Playing the demo and I can't say I am liking it much. I feel that there was very little strategy up to now, with troops basically stacking, clicking stuff around felt a bit tedious. Felt like a mobile game interface.

But the main issue is how formations don't make any sense. You can be facing an enemy that is going to wipe your characters, and by simply putting all of them on the back line, you will actually destroy the enemy. Zero common sense. Why when I put the big tank with the shield on the back do I gain any kind of advantage ? He isn't covering anyone anymore. My characters shouldn't be aligned ? Very well, but still he shouldn't even be able to reach the enemy anymore if put behind. Things need to make a bit of sense otherwise if nothing works as you expect it, it becomes tedious.

Archery support has the same issue : in some instance you make less damage with the archery support than without. Support being ineffective, sure why not. It makes 1 damage or even 0, but less damage when showering the enemy in arrows before attacking ? Makes no sense.

Item usage is free and takes no time either, this is over-powered.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Isa

Unicorn Overlord Countdown Commemorative Art - 12 days

Art by: Vanillaware Kouichi Maenou who recently did design and dev support for GrimGrimoire OnceMore.

GG2_zBQbIAANyL7
Great pic, part classic style but new as well. I like the stories with the mercs and even the choices in the game so far. Makes me wonder what might have happened had I chose differently. That background lining really reminds me of the Master System & Genesis/MD era so extra points for that even if its unintentional.

Isa

Playing the demo and I can't say I am liking it much. I feel that there was very little strategy up to now, with troops basically stacking, clicking stuff around felt a bit tedious. Felt like a mobile game interface.

But the main issue is how formations don't make any sense. You can be facing an enemy that is going to wipe your characters, and by simply putting all of them on the back line, you will actually destroy the enemy. Zero common sense. Why when I put the big tank with the shield on the back do I gain any kind of advantage ? He isn't covering anyone anymore. My characters shouldn't be aligned ? Very well, but still he shouldn't even be able to reach the enemy anymore if put behind. Things need to make a bit of sense otherwise if nothing works as you expect it, it becomes tedious.

Archery support has the same issue : in some instance you make less damage with the archery support than without. Support being ineffective, sure why not. It makes 1 damage or even 0, but less damage when showering the enemy in arrows before attacking ? Makes no sense.

Item usage is free and takes no time either, this is over-powered.
Sorry you're not enjoying it. Its definitely menu heavy. I never actually tried putting the great shield guys in the back, but mainly the soldiers for healing, witch and lord combos, etc. I also haven't had any support issues. I noticed the game mentioned having certain amounts of class types can also affect their impact so that could be a factor.

I personally think the item usability is fair though, since its among the best ways to recuperate stamina or use an item boost to decrease the wait time for resting or taking an item before a series of battles. On some difficult battles it was nearly a priority as some of my units were under leveled and my best were worn out but I needed to get reinforcements to certain locations asap. The cost and rarity of some items as well seemed fair to me. I imagine on the hardest difficulty it could be brutal.

Mercador

I think you want to look into Greenlight for that. I haven't used it yet but it seems like people like it a lot?
I would rather play on the Steam Deck with Greenlight than playing on the Switch, the performance will probably better. I didn't try the Xbox demo, is the controls are inverted like on the Switch?

night13x

I am going to wait to not play the demo since I have the CE and release day is upon us. But hearing all the positive reviews is making me happy. Their last game was an absolute banger with a fantastic story.

Labadal

This is not enough for me to skip the game but Atlus USA needs to hire better localization team.
I already have this pre-ordred since last year. I have a feeling that this will be a personal instant classic.

I still won't pretend that localizers these days aren't taking too many liberties. This has nothing to specifically do with Atlus USA. It's localization in general.

Porcile

I'm playing in all Japanese. The writing is generic anime fantasy to begin with. If they tried to localise it straight then it would come off as very generic I imagine. I laughed at some of the character names.

Last edited:

swarley64

Man I’ve been burnt out on JRPGs for a decade plus, but I was very impressed with the hour or so I played of the demo. Great presentation and the gameplay feels fresh to me (I never played much of Ogre Battle). I might have to pick this up.

Dev1lXYZ

This is one of the best video game demos of all time. It just keeps going! Vanillaware games always have had a manga feel to them, and they seem to be heading away from straight belt style/action games altogether. 13 Sentinels was basically a manga with a strategy element. They go together pretty damn well in my opinion. Unicorn is the inverse I guess of that formula. It goes as deep as you would want it to and respects a player’s time. Very good for pick up and play,

This is one of the best video game demos of all time. It just keeps going! Vanillaware games always have had a manga feel to them, and they seem to be heading away from straight belt style/action games altogether. 13 Sentinels was basically a manga with a strategy element. They go together pretty damn well in my opinion. Unicorn is the inverse I guess of that formula. It goes as deep as you would want it to and respects a player’s time. Very good for pick up and play,

Good to know

I'll be spending hundreds of hours into this

Pejo

Gold Member
About the demo, saw this thread on Twitter on the English localization for UO.
There's some fowl play here, like how one characters dialogue is turned into bird puns.

Man, not fucking again... AI Localization can't come soon enough.

At least this seems like the localizer is only trying to force as much fancy flowery shit as possible into every text box instead of lecturing to the players about gender identity and morals/values or changing the entire conversation like Treehouse/Atlus localizers.

In the back of my mind I'm thinking "ah well, a fan translation will probably fix it someday", but then I realize how fucking pathetic it is that we have to wait for that instead of just getting a faithful localization of a JP game to begin with.

It won't stop me from buying the game, but it's really getting tiresome.

Oberstein

I'm playing in all Japanese. The writing is generic anime fantasy to begin with.

I think it's on purpose. After 1 hour, there are still pages of tutorials to learn. This allows the player to really concentrate on the game's (many) gameplay mechanics, and you really have to pay attention if you don't want to get lost later on. The story is really in the background, and that's for the best at the moment.

Otherwise, the fact that you can move freely around the map, dig up materials, talk to NPCs, etc., reminded me of Thronebreaker.

kunonabi

I already have this pre-ordred since last year. I have a feeling that this will be a personal instant classic.

I still won't pretend that localizers these days aren't taking too many liberties. This has nothing to specifically do with Atlus USA. It's localization in general.
Atlus USA was one of the first to really go off the deep end so it's always worth keeping an eye on them.

Reactions: Isa

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I put 7.5 hours into the switch demo before it stopped me. I also put another hour into it on PS5 just to see how much better it would look. I definitely prefer how much more clear and vibrant the PS5 version was, but preordered on switch for portability.

The story feels very bland, but the voice acting is competent and the combat system is really fun. I really enjoyed FF12's combat system, so this speaks to me.

To people claiming that there is no challenge, and everything plays itself. Fight the final boss of the demo, and tell me that with a straight face.
I immediately put it on the hardest difficulty and had no issue at any point in the demo. I hope the challenge ramps up significantly in the full game. Which boss are you referring to in the demo? The one in the swamp, where you have to use magic, or the one with barricades and the boss has a big hammer, or something else?

Isa

The second one. If you do your untis properly, there will not be a problem, but I did have to shift things up.
I agree, I struggled a bit. Ended up having to throw the kitchen sink at him due to running out of time for the demo.

I also get the potential differences in translation stuff. I bet Vagrant Story really did a number on what some people wanted out of a translation/localization, along with countless other imports where things were changed so drastically. Budget, time, intent and ambition can all play a role in it. Some people really dig flowery prose, and I don't mind it much.

Looking forward to several months of clobbering my free time with games. Still messing with Ichibuns, this baby will take up A LOT of my time, then FFVII Rebirth, then Dragon's Dogma 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom