• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord sells out in Japan, Atlus apologizes for shortages

Topher

Gold Member
Copies are as rare as unicorns
Drums Eye Roll GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love how digital exists, and Japan collectively are like "yeah no thanks", to the point of the company having to issue an apology for the low stock.

Keep fighting the good fight ya'll

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Saw you edit in that Twitter link so I checked it.

How do companies like that keep getting work? Yikes….

Too bad I don’t read Japanese. Import would be the better way for good dialogue.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Too bad I don’t read Japanese. Import would be the better way for good dialogue.

8-4 has been around a long time and are well established in japan, they even have a long running (terrible) podcast. They stink.

Some of the examples in that link are hilarious.

jm89

UK initial stock was gone in some retailers aswell. Although got better pretty quick.

Also just to show why some of us prefer physical copies.

Here's the cheapest physical copy in the uk

Df1rHF2.jpg

Digital costs £55 on the playstation store.

Decent savings.

Oh I meant for unicorn overlord. Don't know about dragon quest.
In the past, games like DQ and Atlus titles would usually get re-prints, but in this day and age of the push to go full digital, it's uncertain at best. For niche games, we almost have to buy day one now to ensure we get a physical copy now. Plus, games like Zelda and Fire Emblem can end up rare because physical copies tend to leave the market after a few years of being there.

Really curious to finding the famitsu sales numbers for Unicorn Overlord once they release the data this Thursday.

My guess is that it will be around ~100k physical copies sold with the platform split being 60% Switch and 40% PS5/PS4.

Anyway, like I said in the OT

suffering-from-success-dj-khaled.gif

Last edited:
Not buying this due to the hack localization feels really pointless now (Always was...), but it is what it is, for me.

Playing a game where what the writers wrote takes a backseat to what the hack localizers felt like writing that day, really takes me out of the experience... Completely.

I love how digital exists, and Japan collectively are like "yeah no thanks", to the point of the company having to issue an apology for the low stock.

Keep fighting the good fight ya'll
Well, buying digital on Nintendo's eshop has consistently been foolish. Until recently, your games were locked to a particular console. Now, you can finally get them transferred to a new console by jumping through hoops. It's also usually more costly to buy digital for some bizarre reason.

I lost hundreds of dollars of first-party digital games when I lost my 3DS. Never again.

It's remained consistently available in the US, so it really does sound like Sega misjudged regional demand on this one

But then again this is the same Sega that released it a week after FFVII Rebirth so we know Sega is fundamentally a retarded organization

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Learning the language was the best thing I have ever done. I feel sorry for the folks unable to enjoy the game as its creators meant.

I'm afraid to ask but how did the localization of 13 Sentinels compare to the original work?

p.s. I hate you as I just now spent $57 importing a Japanese copy of Unicorn Overlord.

• Treasure
Reactions: Isa
Wonder how low the print overall will be. Definitely wish I had splurged for that Monarch edition reading this. Will still pick it up at some point in the future hopefully.

StereoVsn

It’s like they were channeling Working Designs, lol. On one hand it’s nostalgic, in the other hand it’s pretty terrible. At least they didn’t throw in bunch of pop culture references!

Maybe I should get a copy off Play Asia instead. I assume they would have Japanese voices and subs.

Last edited:

Sakura

Ordered a Japanese import. Refuse to buy the awful localized version.

These folks ruin every game they touch.

Yep. No way I would play this game in English. Especially annoying that the western version doesn't have the option for Japanese text so you need to get the Japanese version.

fart town usa

Gold Member

It's a damn shame because 8-4 weren't always like this. Typical brain fry resulting from 2016, and they live in Japan. None of them even live in America but they're still caught up in nonsense like this, lol.

8-4 did the localization for Nier: Automata and a ton of other quality games.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

cireza

Ordered a Japanese import. Refuse to buy the awful localized version.

These folks ruin every game they touch.

Anyone can be a translator in this case. Simply use google translator to get the overall flow of the discussion, then write whatever you want. Feels a bit like Working Designs, except that they were putting some decent humor in their games, and doing this at a age when nobody else would have translated their games.

Last edited:

Elitro

Started the demo yesterday and so far it's been quite fun (the demo is quite big i must say).

Regarding the localization i don't see it as black and white. Yes i would rather they keep their woke ideologies for themselves, but adding a bit of flavor sometimes isn't necessarily bad (imo). Dragon Ball (anime) in PT had hilarious jokes with local pop culture references.
So far the english translations and voices have been pretty good.

phaedrus

Wow thanks.
13 Sentinels had some minor differences between JP and English dialogue (played both versions) but this is WAY over the top.
Glad I didn't rush to buy it earlier.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Uhm… frankly, only the weebest of weebs would find most of these examples deal-breakers.
Japanese is a drab language if translated too faithfully. Most of these are actually examples of good localization.
Sure, some lines change the characters a bit too much. Still sounds pretty solid to me.
I’ve read some Japanese works translated into my language pretty literally. They’re awful, borderline unreadable.

To be clear, I’m on the side that thinks the Ace Attorney localization was stellar. Make of that what you will.

Top Bottom