• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord sells out in Japan, Atlus apologizes for shortages

Orbital2060

The language in the translation isnt too bad. Better than many other translated JRPGs Ive played. Whether its accurate or not, I cant tell. The only thing Ive noticed are a couple of spelling errors, with missing vowels between consonants, so most likely oversights.

It reads pretty well, apart from that.

Yep. No way I would play this game in English. Especially annoying that the western version doesn't have the option for Japanese text so you need to get the Japanese version.
How is this bad? It seems similar to tactics ogre, more medieval European style dialog, and it fits the setting fine. This isn't current day 4th wall breaking stuff and there is no woke garbage.

If it had that shit i would of boycotted the game, sadly, as I don't know Japanese and don't understand how so many can play a game with a different language.

Unless it has English text everywhere. As I did it for samurai warriors 4 and old fan translated games like Shiren 3 and Brandish because they are more action focused and no voice acting, but for something like this, it would be too much. Unless the game is about Japan. Like Yakuza (but even then I wish the remakes had the English Dub from the ps2 versions, as an option). I stopped buying Koei games for this reason. You don't include English dub, I try don't buy it. It shows lack of effort. It doesn't have to be perfect just include the option.

Also a bet a tone of the old PS1 jrpgs were localized not perfect. I loved them all, and sometimes the dialog in retrospect is better ( I think sotn was one like that).
I just don't get the has to be one for one translation, especially when the languages promote a different feel. As long as what is portrayed is the same and it isn't different than what the plot is pushing then it should be fine. Obviously if it has agenda or some crap in there, or is totally different than what the original is, than yeah hell no, but a little shakespearn dialog, no problem with that.

Naked Lunch

He definitely took things a little far - but I look at it as at least we got the games. We wouldn't have otherwise.
For sure - that is a good point. Better to have it than not at all.

Have you looked into any recent fan 're-translations' of many of the Working Designs games? One just released - the Saturn version of Silhouette Mirage.
These "un-working designs" versions often revert both the actual translations and all the weird un-needed gameplay edits they implemented.

Beyond those - ive tinkered with playing thru some re-translated Dragon Quest NES games recently - supposedly much closer to the source material.
The biggest one with the most options ive played recently is Tactics Ogre. With the fan-made Saturn translation being the cream of the crop.

The original PS1 NA localized Final Fantasy Tactics translation is just so bad. Someone recently ported the PSP script to the PS1 version. A godsend for replays of the PS1 original.

Its wild that we not only have access to these old games thru many means - but also, now - a choice of translations. Very similar to going out and buying a literary classic novel with a choice of (for example) the Penguin Classic, Dover Thrift, or Oxford World's Classics translations.

Last edited:

Have you looked into any recent fan 're-translations' of many of the Working Designs games? One just released - the Saturn version of Silhouette Mirage.
These "un-working designs" versions often revert both the actual translations and all the weird un-needed gameplay edits they implemented.

Beyond those - ive tinkered with playing thru some re-translated Dragon Quest NES games recently - supposedly much closer to the source material.
The biggest one with the most options ive played recently is Tactics Ogre. With the fan-made Saturn translation being the cream of the crop.

Its wild that we not only have access to these old games thru many means - but also, now - a choice of translations. Very similar to going out and buying a literary classic novel with a choice of (for example) the Penguin Classic, Dover Thrift, or Oxford World's Classics translations.
I haven't but agree that it is quite wild. Things have come a long way haven't they? I remember playing Silhouette Mirage, I'll have to check out some of the un-re-translations though.

We have many people's patience and dedication to thank for this reality in the end.

IAmRei

At least we got translation.

back in 99-2003 i often play japanese game without understanding japanese, only handful a paper of katakana hiragana, to translate it into engrish. And surprisingly i finished them mostly... Without knowing the story, sad...

But i saw the translation issue shared by my friend today morning. Unfortunately, but what can i do. Maybe later patch? I dont know. I havent buy it yet, have a difficulty to find it in my place.

Labadal

I got the game either way, but it is still a shame that they change translations, so that scenes have entirely different meaning in the original language and English.

It's not that it is poorly written, it's that translators take too much creative freedom. You're not a writer, you're a translator.

I will keep buying Japanese games despite this, because frankly, I enjoy playing them.

Hudo

I got the game either way, but it is still a shame that they change translations, so that scenes have entirely different meaning in the original language and English.

It's not that it is poorly written, it's that translators take too much creative freedom. You're not a writer, you're a translator.

I will keep buying Japanese games despite this, because frankly, I enjoy playing them.
While I generally agree with your sentiment, there are instances where the translation is better than the Japanese original, like Matsuno's games where Michael-Christopher Koji Fox has been involved (and Matsuno likes them as well). Also, the German translation of the first three Monkey Island games is at least on par with the English one. And they had to take liberties there because no one gets Americanisms outside America.

Sakura

How is this bad? It seems similar to tactics ogre, more medieval European style dialog, and it fits the setting fine. This isn't current day 4th wall breaking stuff and there is no woke garbage.

If it had that shit i would of boycotted the game, sadly, as I don't know Japanese and don't understand how so many can play a game with a different language.

Unless it has English text everywhere. As I did it for samurai warriors 4 and old fan translated games like Shiren 3 and Brandish because they are more action focused and no voice acting, but for something like this, it would be too much. Unless the game is about Japan. Like Yakuza (but even then I wish the remakes had the English Dub from the ps2 versions, as an option). I stopped buying Koei games for this reason. You don't include English dub, I try don't buy it. It shows lack of effort. It doesn't have to be perfect just include the option.

Also a bet a tone of the old PS1 jrpgs were localized not perfect. I loved them all, and sometimes the dialog in retrospect is better ( I think sotn was one like that).
I just don't get the has to be one for one translation, especially when the languages promote a different feel. As long as what is portrayed is the same and it isn't different than what the plot is pushing then it should be fine. Obviously if it has agenda or some crap in there, or is totally different than what the original is, than yeah hell no, but a little shakespearn dialog, no problem with that.
Whether it is well written or not is largely irrelevant. Characters are being made to say things they didn’t, meanings of lines are changed, personalities are changed sometimes, etc. It’s not simply an issue of Shakespeare style dialogue or not, that is a style choice, the issue is that the localisation is inaccurate. The words don’t have to be one for one, but the meaning does. Obviously, if you are playing in English there is no way you would know whether the translation is good or not.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

The original PS1 NA localized Final Fantasy Tactics translation is just so bad. Someone recently ported the PSP script to the PS1 version. A godsend for replays of the PS1 original.

Curious which dragon quests benefited from the new translations?

Naked Lunch

Curious which dragon quests benefited from the new translations?
Pretty much all of the NES versions - removing the silly "Thee/Thou" stuff - but some (many?) are fond of that stuff.
Brings the text more in line with the Famicom versions' intent - also changes the naming of people, items, and spells.

I personally only played thru the 1st game's re-translation so far and a bit of the second.
It was nice doing away with the over the top medieval jokey stuff.

StereoVsn

It’s wild that we not only have access to these old games thru many means - but also, now - a choice of translations. Very similar to going out and buying a literary classic novel with a choice of (for example) the Penguin Classic, Dover Thrift, or Oxford World's Classics translations.
I messed around with whole bunch of unworking designs starting with Luna series.

And yes, that’s a very good point they despite its issues, without Working designs a lot of these games wouldn’t have made it to the West!

Top Bottom