• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United gave toddler's seat away and made his mom hold him for 3-hour flight

Hari Seldon

I believe the improper scanning thing. They used to print those boarding passes on good card stock but now that shit is on tissue paper.

Holy crap, how tiny is this woman or how massive is this kid.

One of my cats is 16 pounds (so a 25 pound 2 year old sounds about right) and just her sitting on my lap gets uncomfortable after a while(and I weigh 125), so add 10 pounds to that and some height and it would be quite uncomfortable in short order.

emrober5

Shit I'd hold my kid for 3 hours if it saved me $1000.

Now, if she didn't get that money back that's another issue.

Link

The Autumn Wind
How can literally every single air service have daily news coming out about how shit they treat their customers?
Because now they know the government is unabashedly pro-big business, and there likely will be minimal, if any, actual repercussions.

watershed

Banned
I hate shit like this. The worst customer service, zero common sense, zero empathy, and United doesn't seem to give a shit.

United stock is at an all-time high despite all the negative press. Why should they give a fuck?

ZAXXbNG.png

Flight is a commodity, like cable and internet. What, are people going to walk from Hawaii to Boston? There is very little incentive to improve, particularly service for rare flights.

Tadaima

Shit I'd hold my kid for 3 hours if it saved me $1000.

Now, if she didn't get that money back that's another issue.

And there are some people out there who would do it to save even just $10. What other people may or may not voluntarily give up is irrelevant in this story. This is not about whether or not she saved money, but that her child was displaced by another passenger and forced to sit on her. In this situation, the only other choices were to voluntarily remove herself from the plane, or to leave her 2 year old behind.

Yeah keep holding that L United.

27 month old? .....gtfo kid is 2 years old. Say the 2 year old.....fucks sake

This observation doesn't get any more clever or funny no matter how many people repeat it. The age of children is recorded in months up until 36 because it's a stage of rapid development and it's important to accurately document. 24 months is not the same as 27.

Holy crap, how tiny is this woman or how massive is this kid.

Fully grown men are usually roughly twice as tall as they were shortly after their 2nd birthday. Most boys his age would be about 3 feet tall, give or take a few inches.

rjinaz

The companies make so much money. Goddamn. Just give her a refund. Apologize and say she'll be fully refunded and even get some bonus miles and the story goes away before it even becomes one. United doesn't really even take a loss, not really anything significant. But nah, let's just let these stories blow up, good idea. I mean I get there can be a lot of people involved in these situations but most companies do alright with the "customer is always right" philosophy.

nomster

Interesting, Southwest tried to do this to me just last week, but it was a southwest employee not a standby passenger. I offered to sell it back to them since my daughter was going to insist on sleeping in my lap the entire flight anyway, they didn't bite.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I was on a Delta flight with my family. Apparently they forgot to scan my 3 year olds ticket or it didn't scan right. So the attendants came by, asked if she was on and said, "Okay. Thanks."

I would be so furious if this happened to me.

Enzom21

Interesting, Southwest tried to do this to me just last week, but it was a southwest employee not a standby passenger. I offered to sell it back to them since my daughter was going to insist on sleeping in my lap the entire flight anyway, they didn't bite.
They expected you to give up your purchased seat for free?
I was on a Delta flight with my family. Apparently they forgot to scan my 3 year olds ticket or it didn't scan right. So the attendants came by, asked if she was on and said, "Okay. Thanks."

I would be so furious if this happened to me.

See this is why I don't buy their explanation. They're just trying to get out of paying her the $10,000 they promised if they pulled this shit again.

louiedog

I used to have to fly United a lot and none of this bad press surprises me. Compared to other airlines their staff has always seemed poorly trained and much worse. I've had issues with rude flight attendants, like one who was making fun of "stupid passengers" who couldn't work the bathroom door, which clearly had a broken latch. I've also seen many gate agents and other people who seemed completely unequipped to deal with problems when they happen.

gcubed

1) the excuse is bullshit because they would check on a kid traveling with an adult and not just sell the ticket.

2) the standby guy can just get fucked and go back on standby

3) holding a kid over 2 isn't safe. She doesn't deserve a ticket refund, she deserves a shitload more

You'd think US airlines were unregulated reading all the latest news about horrible customer service. If the airlines knew they couldn't step on the rules to sell more seats without suffering hefty fines or worse, they'd have the incentive they need to stop. Is that not the case?

SpecX

Why does bad news continue to pour out of United flights? They seriously need to retrain all staff and halt these bad practices before it starts costing them big.

You'd think US airlines were unregulated reading all the latest news about horrible customer service. If the airlines knew they couldn't step on the rules to sell more seats without suffering hefty fines or worse, they'd have the incentive they need to stop. Is that not the case?

The regulations that are in place are in favor of these shitty practices. They are getting away with murder, and nobody in our government right now is looking to do anything to get in the way of bigger profit margins. If you do business, you can always make more money. Individual customers and cases like this are not great PR, but it doesn't matter in the least when your business has so few competitors and the consumer has so few options.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Why does bad news continue to pour out of United flights? They seriously need to retrain all staff and halt these bad practices before it starts costing them big.
I'm honestly amazed they aren't already bleeding badly from this stuff.

There's been a string of shitty news about United recently and they just keep coming.

muu

I'm honestly amazed they aren't already bleeding badly from this stuff.

There's been a string of shitty news about United recently and they just keep coming.

Majority of people are gonna continue to buy whatever's the cheapest fare

1) the excuse is bullshit because they would check on a kid traveling with an adult and not just sell the ticket.

2) the standby guy can just get fucked and go back on standby

3) holding a kid over 2 isn't safe. She doesn't deserve a ticket refund, she deserves a shitload more
Yeah I thought point 3 is against FAA regulations. Not only should she get a refund+compensation, the FAA should be fining United. But if not, I see it is clearly United policy to require children over two to have their own seat and ticket. So still violating their own policy.

Flight is a commodity, like cable and internet. What, are people going to walk from Hawaii to Boston? There is very little incentive to improve, particularly service for rare flights.
Competition among service providers is supposed to be what pushes change, better customer care etc. If you have a bad experience with one try a competitor. Unfortunately when they're all shit (or there is no choice) this doesn't work.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A United spokesman told The Washington Post that Taizo's boarding pass had been improperly scanned and that because the toddler wasn't logged in to the system, his seat was released to a standby passenger.

Well fucking do something about it then United. Compensate them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
1) as a parent i would have probably gotten thrown off the plane if that was my kid.
2) if i was the standby passenger i would not have taken the seat and insisted the child take it.

Didn't the president of United come out and say that they'd pay 10k to anyone this happened to? What happened with that?

Depends on the age. For young kids, you can have them as a "lap infant", while older kids require a seat. I'm fairly certain, though, that lap infant ends at 2, so this kid's too old for that anyway.

Also, I can buy they screwed up the scanning of the ticket, but how that possibly means that they can forces the mom to give up a seat is nuts. When it happened, they should just have said "oh crap, seat's taken", and walked the standby guy back off the plane.

I took a last minute bump a couple years back to leave a flight still at the jetway because a 'lap infant' (who seemed older than 24 months) was on the mom's lap next to me. He was crawling on me and drooling on me.

As the million miler dude in his black suit and white shirt with cufflinks walked down the aisle to take my seat he made a deer in the headlights face when he realized why I took the bump.

D6AMIA6N

The problem is that if you need to fly, what can you do? One of these shitty companies will get your business, and because there is such limited competition for domestic flights, they can pretty much do whatever the fuck they want.

Case in point, last month I flew with my wife and one year old son from Atlanta to Detroit on Southwest. We checked our car seat. When we arrived, it didn't. Southwest offered two loaner car seats, but they were literally infant seats with no base, and looked to have been at least 5 years or more old (car seats expire). Meaning there was no way to install them in our rental. We had to pay out of pocket to rent a car seat from Enterprise, who were thankfully great to deal with.

When we wrote to Southwest to be reimbursed for the $75 rental seat expense we incurred due to them having an inadequate loaner car seat, they basically said "sorry", nothing we can do. They did however give us a $100 flight credit. I would have preferred to just have my money back.

What were we supposed to do? We had literally no choice but to pay out of pocket for a suitable rental car seat, because Southwest lost ours, and could not provide a safe or even functioning loaner.

If I never had to deal with airports or airlines again I would be perfectly fine with that. What a fucking racket

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
When does the smear piece come out from United.

That toddler certainly was no angel and has a blemished past they can dig up and publish.

emag

1) as a parent i would have probably gotten thrown off the plane if that was my kid.
2) if i was the standby passenger i would not have taken the seat and insisted the child take it.

The standby passenger was definitely at fault here as well. Not only did he take the seat after he was informed that it was booked for the child and force the child to "share" the mother's seat, but he also stuck his elbow into the the mother's personal space.

Wait for the Boston Globe writer to defend him, though. Heck, maybe it's the same guy.

norm9

From a USA Today article- https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/07/06/mom-has-carry-boy-flight-after-united-takes-his-seat-and-resells/454585001/

Yamauchi, 42, told the station she didn't want to cause a scene, remembering recent United incidents such as the Kentucky doctor, David Dao, who was violently dragged off his flight in April.

"I'm scared. I'm worried. I'm traveling with an infant. I didn't want to get hurt. I didn't want either of us to get hurt," she said.

Yeah. 200% refund would be a goodwill gesture.

Agreed. If they want it to be "goodwill" there should be something additional for the inconvenience and discomfort caused because they messed up. Flying coach usually is pretty sucky anyway, but I can't imagine having a 2-year-old on my lap the whole time while the dude who took his seat monopolizes the armrest.

Syriel

Give her the $1000 back, United.

Did she get her money back?

The companies make so much money. Goddamn. Just give her a refund. Apologize and say she'll be fully refunded and even get some bonus miles and the story goes away before it even becomes one.

United refunded the mom the cost of both tickets, plus additional compensation before this thread was even posted. OP used the one story that doesn't include that information.

United continues to be shit. Improperly scanned? They have fucking numbers that can be manually entered in if the barcode can't be scanned

Why would they let someone on the plane if their ticket didn't scan properly?

This is not uncommon, especially if you are scanning multiple tickets in close proximity. That is one of the reasons why they always make a last minute announcement on the plane about where it is going before taking off.

PEOPLE STILL GET ON THE WRONG PLANES.

Bunch of bastards. You'd think after their bad PR a few months ago they'd be making sure they're treating passengers better to ensure shit like this doesn't happen.

"No other flight attendants asked Yamauchi about the seating arrangement for the remainder of the flight, despite the fact that it violated United’s own “traveling with children” policy. The FAA also strongly advises against allowing children to sit on an adult’s lap during flights because “arms aren’t capable of holding your child securely, especially during unexpected turbulence.”

The bad PR of the past couple of months is all the more reason for a story like this to happen because a FA is going to be less likely to challenge a parent with a lap child.

Honestly, NO CHILD should ever be a lap child, but plenty of parents will still do it and others will lie about their child's age in order to clear that 24 month mark. Even if a FA suspected something was up, I can see a FA not wanting to ask for fear of making a scene.

So many issues with this story. It's illegal for anyone over 2 to sit on a parents lap so they shouldn't have even kept them on the plane. It's also strange how they didn't just make the standby person get off the plane, it's not like they were in the air already. The story's account of how the flight attendant just shrugged and said "flights full" is either a huge embellishment or that flight attendant is a sociopath.

If the FA knew that the mom and child each had a ticket, then the FA is 100% in the wrong. If the FA thought the mom just had a lap child and was hoping to use the extra space of a spare middle seat, then the FA's response makes sense.

It's a shitty experience, but one that had multiple points of failure as reported in the news.
  • Gate agent scanned the ticket improperly.
  • Mom did not make it clear that her child was over 24 months had a ticket for the seat.
  • FA didn't question why a large child was being flown as a lap child.

The standard of service needs to be higher for airlines though. And policies need to be in place that are viewed universally as fair. If they had told the standby passenger that they made a mistake and that the flight was already sold out, he would have been pissed off, but that's the risk when you're on standby... you weren't even guaranteed a spot on the plane. The lady paid for her son's ticket, and was guaranteed a spot for him, until United made the wrong decision and took it away.

Its like they make their decisions based on the view of "common sense" by the employee handling it rather than strict written policies that are agreed on by all. Way too much of that horseshit going on, which is what sparks all of the outrage. If that seat wasn't taken by a 2 year old, the standby passenger would have got the boot.

Strict adherence to written policy is what resulted in the Dao situation.

S-Wind

So the Asian American doctor a few months ago and now this Asian American teacher.

I'm starting to think United Airlines staff hate Asians....

Top Bottom