• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

University ignores warnings about Milo, leaving him free to bully trans student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarky

Banned
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/12/1...ing-him-free-to-bully-trans-student-on-stage/

A university ignored multiple warnings about a speaker’s extreme views and history of abusive behaviour – leaving him free to single out a trans student and bully them on-stage.
Far-right internet troll Milo Yiannopoulos has seen his media profile rise thanks to attention-grabbing bigoted comments and support of Donald Trump, whom he refers to as ‘daddy’.
Yiannopoulos, who was banned from Twitter earlier this year after allegedly encouraging a wave of racist abuse directed at Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones, is capitalising on his cult-like following with a ‘Dangerous Faggot Tour’ at universities and colleges across the US.
When Yiannopoulos was confirmed to be speaking at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, students attempted to make officials aware of his views and abusive history.
But despite repeated protests, university administrators decided that Yiannopoulos – who says he would ‘cure’ himself of being gay if he could and describes trans people as “mentally ill… gay men dressing up for attention” – should still be allowed to speak at the event on December 14.
Yiannopoulos proceeded to use the event to single out and humiliate a transgender student who attends the university, exactly as protesters had warned he would.

In his speech – which was streamed on the internet by far-right news outlet Breitbart – Yiannopoulos singled out Milwaukee engineering student Adelaide Kramer, showing pictures of her on a PowerPoint presentation and mocking her as a “man in a dress” who “I’d almost still bang”.
He said: “I’ll tell you one UW-Milwaukee student that does not need to man up, and that is [using former name] Justine Kramer.”
“Do you know about Justine Kramer? Have any of you come into contact with this person? This quote unquote nonbinary trans woman forced his way into the women’s locker rooms this year.
“He got into the women’s room the way liberals always operate, using the government and the courts to weasel their way where they don’t belong
“[Equal rights law Title IX is being] used to put men in to women’s bathrooms. I have known some passing trannies in my life… which is to say transgender people who pass as the gender they would like to be considered.”
“The way that you know he’s failing is I’d almost still bang him. It’s just…it’s just a man in a dress, isn’t it? I should reapply my lipstick.”

Speaking to student media outlet Media Milwaukee, Adelaide Kramer – whose case had received some limited media attention previously – said: “I knew Milo was going to regurgitate a profound amount of racist and transphobic hate.
“What I did not anticipate was being specifically targeted and called out in the way he did. I hadn’t said anything or made even the slightest disruption: He had his harassment of me planned out well in advance.
“I’m sitting there and I hear him say ‘Justine Kramer’ and I just froze up. I have never, ever, ever been more terrified in my life of being outed. Ever.
“This also isn’t just a case of a speaker going off an a tangent like that, like some random occurrence. It was not a case where you had no way of knowing he would do this. Quite the contrary: Milo has a supremely extensive, highly-documented track record of doing precisely this.
“As I’ve already said, ‘YOU KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN. WE TOLD YOU IT WOULD. AND WE TOLD YOU AGAIN. AND AGAIN’.”
Adelaide Kramer told the outlet she is quitting the university.

Fuck Milo and all his shitty alt-right ilk

Fuck him, but I still have issues with the idea of no platforming.

Edit: having read more I would acknowledge that this case is different due to the harassment. In general however I stand by the fact that no platforming at universities is somewhat silly. Universities should promote debate and people should question these people rather than stop them from speaking.

FStop7

Banned
Institutional indifference is how a lot of really bad things have been allowed to happen, looking back at history.

Cunt cunt cunt cunt cunt. He's playing a stupid game and he knows it. So rich of him to talk about people grabbing for attention.

Takyon

This guy is like a Black Hole of toxicity. Institutions and individuals really need to enact a no-contact policy regarding him.

Slayven

What valid reason could a school have for having him come there?

David Duke I can see because he is a true believer, but Milo slings shit just to sling it.

Alienous

I don't understand why his supporters give him the attention he so desperately craves. He's not an intellect on any subject as far as I'm aware. He just exists to rile people up and prompt a reaction. At best he's just annoying, but most of the time he embodies the worst kind of Internet troll. But it isn't even like he's got some kind of unique 'skill' at that kind of trolling. Hopefully obscurity is in his near future.

Colleges have a right to have anyone they like come to speak. Colleges should be encouraged to have people with differing opinions to challenge the students' preconceptions and world views.

However colleges should definitely not let this hate filled joke piece of shit speak at their schools either. If he wants to do his speeches for his followers fine, don't encourage him. Don't pay for him to come, don't give him a platform at your school.

Slayven

I don't understand why his supporters give him the attention he so desperately craves. He's not an intellect on any subject as far as I'm aware. He just exists to rile people up and prompt a reaction. At best he's just annoying, but most of the time he embodies the worst kind of Internet troll.

Remember how he conned them out of all that money for a "scholarship"?

Media

Yeah, I'm all for free speech, and giving an audience to views that you disagree with, not banning dissenting opinions, etc.

But Milo is the fucking scum of the earth. Using his platform to specifically target people and say horrible things about them. That is not protected speech, that isn't a dissenting viewpoint. It's harassment. The same thing that got him banned from Twitter, and yet his cries about being banned for his views and because he's conservative.

He's not conservative, he's an asshole that uses conservative viewpoints as a shield.

He can platform on his own terms without support from universities. All it takes is 5 seconds of research to realize the guy is a real piece of work and no one will be bettered by hearing him speak.

Why is he doing stuff like this? Does he really think he's going to win at the end? Does he truly think he's right in all this?!

Also: has the University said anything at all about this???

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Nothing in the Constitution about someone having to give you a platform to spread your views.

And honestly in the modern age of the internet the idea that a person can be "denied" a platform feels...inaccurate? Anyone can publish a blog or a youtube video and get millions of views. What can be denied to a person is access to a specific platform

It is essentially impossible to be silenced unless what you are saying is literally illegal because you are discussing state secrets

Its his right to say what he wants (that wont legally get him in jail) just as its everyone else's right to deny him a platform to say it (if they own it)

Freedom of speech isn't the freedom to say whatever you want wherever you want without consequence. Your rights ends where someone elses begins. All it really does is protect you from the government, not other people. So no need to have an issue with no platforming honestly

Free speech does not equal the right to spew hateful garbage.

Incorrect

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't understand why his supporters give him the attention he so desperately craves. He's not an intellect on any subject as far as I'm aware. He just exists to rile people up and prompt a reaction. At best he's just annoying, but most of the time he embodies the worst kind of Internet troll.

He's a wonderful toy for homophobic neo-nazi kids: a gay man who hates himself and other LGBT people and wants to be one of them. They can - and do - use his very existence to troll by saying they don't hate gay people, see Milo is one of us.

While I'm with most of you in having a personal disdain for Milo and his views, I don't fault the college for allowing him to speak on their campus. We should be open to having a conversation with our political opposition

https://youtu.be/mi5da2AhDCY?t=241
Milo isn't political opposition and he isn't open to having a conversation. He's a con man trying to sell hatred and by letting him speak on campuses he's winning.

He was supposed to come to my college via the local Trump student organization. Thankfully, security costs got out of hand, was gonna cost them $6,500 for security, so his appearance was thankfully cancelled.

While I'm with most of you in having a personal disdain for Milo and his views, I don't fault the college for allowing him to speak on their campus. We should be open to having a conversation with our political opposition

Differing political, religious, or social views are fine as long as you aren't a hateful person.

This guy is just a loser who is intentionally out to hurt others and draw attention to himself. He offers nothing of substance.

Meicyn

Gold Member
While I agree with the principle, I think there's a clear distinction between no platforming for someone like Milo, versus no platforming for say, Ben Shapiro. I think it's appropriate for the former since he's just being a cunt, versus the later whom is willing to have a conversation that may make you uncomfortable but doesn't come from a position of just being mean or bigoted.

Reeks

Oh god. It's a fucking college. 'Conversation with our political opposition' has nothing to do with this. It's not a dialogue, it's hate speech.

There's so much in the OP that makes me angry I can't even decide which parts to quote.

How can someone be so hateful and so backwards? How can people "follow" someone so hateful and backwards? Truly confusing.

While I agree with the principle, I think there's a clear distinction between no platforming for someone like Milo, versus no platforming for say, Ben Shapiro. I think it's appropriate for the former since he's just being a cunt, versus the later whom is willing to have a conversation that may make you uncomfortable but doesn't come from a position of just being mean or bigoted.
I have updated my post to reflect this. I read a little more and I can admit there is a difference.

Finally you can have your opinion on letting this shit stain speak at college but how can you say in good faith it's worth it having him on campus for good conversation or differing ideals or whatever when the very OP of this thread shows what happens when you give him a platform. Maybe next time it'll be different? No. It won't.

Public Universities can give speaking time to people who use their platforms to harass students based on their gender identities? That's legal?

I mean, I'm not a lawyer, but I feel like this student should have the ability to sue this University into the ground. Everything about this story is wild to me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Obama said it best ->https://youtu.be/mi5da2AhDCY?t=241
What the fuck? This isn't about "political opposition", it's about some asshole targeting and harassing an individual.

Should your universities allow me to go on a stage and go, "Boy, <Name> sure is disgusting, let's all mock this person, especially their appearance, horribly until they're in tears, tee hee"?

Schools are supposed to prevent bullying, not let it rampant under the guise of "free speech".

KRod-57

Banned
Milo isn't political opposition and he isn't open to having a conversation. He's a con man trying to sell hatred and by letting him speak on campuses he's winning.

I have to disagree, he is definitely a political opposition to my views personally, and to say he is not open to having a conversation is completely inaccurate considering that is literally the reason why he was there to speak on that campus. The people who are not open to having a conversation are the ones who believe he shouldn't be allowed to speak on campus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom