• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't know, I liked Briennes romp through the country. Gives good perspective into the ramifications of the war. And there's also the Blackfyre analogy/metaphor which is a great piece of writing.

Sure it was a bit bloated but it wasn't bad.

I liked it in the books, too, but it wouldn't have played at all on TV.

Furoba

I'm guessing
Melissandre will clear up the way to Winterfell, but will be sent back to Castle Black by Stannis due to hard feelings over sacrificing Shireen.
Jon will get stabbed to death, but revived afterwards by Melissandre. I am also expecting Jon will actually warg into Ghost at that time, so they can finally reveal that part as well (perhaps allowing Jon to be revived much later (the cold should keep his body in good condition), and leaving not as much damage as would normally be the case?).
Alternatively, Melissandra might even find Ghost/Jon along the way to Castle Black, prompting her to seek out Jon's dead body. They might even mix in the Onion Knight with Jon's betrayal plotline.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I can picture the stabbaton in my head already. Season is totally going to end with a close-up of Jon closing his eyes.

This is going to be the worst cliffhanger of all-time. D&D have no idea what they're about to cause.

Oh, trust me they know. And, it's exactly what they want. Every one of those scrubs will be waiting for next season.

Speevy

Banned
I can picture the stabbaton in my head already. Season is totally going to end with a close-up of Jon closing his eyes.

This is going to be the worst cliffhanger of all-time. D&D have no idea what they're about to cause.

The misery book readers have endured for five years now?

Chris R

Just done watching the previous two eps. Can't say I care for the burning, talk about a total loss of troop moral :\ Stannis would find a dagger in his back or be left with no troops with them all deserting him

Speevy

Banned
D and D have problems with adapting certain things, but they do seem to understand how fans have reacted to the books, so at least they've considered the ramifications of these decisions.

jett

D-Member
Oh, trust me they know. And, it's exactly what they want. Every one of those scrubs will be waiting for next season.

The misery book readers have endured for five years now?

Heh, is it really misery when the book makes it obvious Jon is going to resurrect? :p Poor unsullied have been given no such hints.

If it ends with Jon's stabbing / closing his eyes, I bet the last second is a closeup of Ghost's eyes opening.

Nah I bet the season opener will begin with a first person view of Ghost, Bran-warg style.

Although, with Melisandre out of the picture on the show, I really have to wonder how are they going to bring him back.

Speevy

Banned
Just done watching the previous two eps. Can't say I care for the burning, talk about a total loss of troop moral :\ Stannis would find a dagger in his back or be left with no troops with them all deserting him

In real life, but these men have been watching Melisandre burn innocent people alive for years now.

jett

D-Member
D and D have problems with adapting certain things, but they do seem to understand how fans have reacted to the books, so at least they've considered the ramifications of these decisions.

If they really understood they wouldn't end with Jon's death, because that shit was not well received well by anyone on any level whatsoever. Personally I found it laughable.

duckroll

This season has been pretty rough in general in terms of "oh no they didn't!" scenes. Sansa getting raped by Ramsay. Stannis burning Shireen. Jon getting stabbed as the final scene of the season just seems to continue that thematically.

If they really understood they wouldn't end with Jon's death, because that shit was not well received well by anyone on any level whatsoever. Personally I found it laughable.

Nonsense. Jon getting stabbed is not what was poorly received in the books. I think most people ate it up in terms of finally something HAPPENING in the book after so long. What turned people off was the fact that four years later we're still waiting for the next book. This isn't going to be a problem for the show because people will be talking about it and raging about it and going crazy speculating about it, but just one year later, there will be a new season again.

phaonaut

I betting on a twist, Olly sees whats about to happen and decides to try and save Jon. Gets killed with Jon in the process.

#teamOllysaves

Sam cries big salty tears

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This season has been pretty rough in general in terms of "oh no they didn't!" scenes. Sansa getting raped by Ramsay. Stannis burning Shireen. Jon getting stabbed as the final scene of the season just seems to continue that thematically.
Add to that,

Grey Worm saving Barristan's life at the last minute...lol nope, he's dead any way.

jett

D-Member

Nonsense. Jon getting stabbed is not what was poorly received in the books. I think most people ate it up in terms of finally something HAPPENING in the book after so long. What turned people off was the fact that four years later we're still waiting for the next book. This isn't going to be a problem for the show because people will be talking about it and raging about it and going crazy speculating about it, but just one year later, there will be a new season again.

Maybe I'm projecting, but I thought it was total BS, GRRM being a complete tryhard. Just a total annoyance.

methodman

Banned
Personally I've really enjoyed this season but one thing that's pissed me completely off is the Unsullied. They are just so damn whack in the show. I always imagined them like Spartans in 300: Completely kicking ass but they just get dominated by sell swords and nobels lol

kirblar

Dany's thing is Iraq- the Unsullied are soldiers unsuited for police work, but they haven't made that analogy clear on the show.

Furoba

Personally I've really enjoyed this season but one thing that's pissed me completely off is the Unsullied. They are just so damn whack in the show. I always imagined them like Spartans in 300: Completely kicking ass but they just get dominated by sell swords and nobels lol

Like 300, if they are out of formation, they're vulnerable.
Which is why they should have been deployed on masse in the first place. Just a few unsullied make a poor queen's guard.

duckroll

Maybe I'm projecting, but I thought it was total BS, GRRM being a complete tryhard. Just a total annoyance.

It can be total BS and an annoyance and still have little to no negative impact to the popularity of a series though. The thing about entertainment is, if you can incite strong feelings from fans and keep them talking about a plot point, that's a win. Even if it's an unhappy feeling. It only becomes a problem if you can't follow up on that to give the fans something else to talk about in a timely manner.

Zolo

Posting this from the other thread:
jdzuvY9.jpg

Welp...there you go. I'm convinced it'll ultimately be Stannis's decision in the books too. Just instead of it being to be king like some are saying, it's because he believes he's the only one who can save Westeros from the long night.

suzu

Why is everyone assuming Jon gets revived by Melissandre? I mean it wasn't in the last book, was it heavily implied or something?

Well the only reviving we've seen in the series is from the priests of the Lord of Light or The Others... so take your pick. lol

Without Lady Stoneheart what's the point of Brienne now? The whole plotpoint of the books of her meeting up with Jaime again and you're all like "oooooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiit son what's gonna happen" is out the window now. Now she's just wandering around without a purpose. Unless she really just does stick around protecting Sansa the whole time now that Littlefinger littledingdong ditched her.
She isn't even doing so much as 'wandering'. She's spent most of this season sitting in a room, staring out a window. The knock-on effect of cutting Stoneheart has given other characters really garbage arcs and the worst scenes the show has produced in some cases.

Zolo

People don't want to deal with the fact that he's Ghost for the rest of the series. They just have to wait until he places the sword in his mouth and starts kicking White Walker ass.

kirblar

White Walkers/Lord of Light are the "two sides" that need to be rejected- hence the "song of ice and fire" thing, these two eps will look super heavy handed on rewatches.

Brakke

Banned

Jon getting got wasn't a thing that HAPPENED though. Everyone and their mother knew immediately that it wasn't a real death but part of some magic revival nonsense. GRR plays like it was some significant thing but it was limp af. There's no tension there, just people shrugging and thinking "well I wonder how he comes back".

Welp...there you go. I'm convinced it'll ultimately be Stannis's decision in the books too. Just instead of it being to be king like some are saying, it's because he believes he's the only one who can save Westeros from the long night.

This was about Edric Storm right?

UberLevi

I bet they're gonna do a scene that mirror's the Red Wedding, except instead of Arya and The Hound arriving moments too late for Robb, it's going to be Brienne and Sansa showing up at Castle Black mid-stabbing.

Madness

Like 300, if they are out of formation, they're vulnerable.
Which is why they should have been deployed on masse in the first place. Just a few unsullied make a poor queen's guard.

Except even out of formation, you'd think a bunch of soldiers raised from childhood to fight and only fight would be able to take on a bunch of elitist fat cats with daggers hiding behind masks. But no, apparently the Harpys are the true power of Essos, they can completely go undetected in crowds, throw spears like Achilles and almost kill Drogon etc.

The Unsullied compared to how they were built up, have been a complete let down on the show. Maybe they were always poor but it's more the show has used them to build up the other parts. The only way to show Dany in danger despite having thousands of Unsullied is to make them fight worse than Hot Pie.

"How many boys live in Westeros? How many girls, how many men, how many women? The darkness will devour them all she says, the night that never ends, unless I triumph. I never asked for this, no more than I asked to be king. We do not choose our destiny, but we must do our duty, great or small we must do our duty." - Stannis Baratheon

#TeamStannis

Zolo

Ugh.....The problem is that what Stannis did what he did because he thinks he's the only one who can save Westeros at this point. It hurts even more to know he'll probably get killed, and the sacrifice will have been done for nothing.

I knew he was never going to be king, but I would at least like for him to have somehow heavily contributed to stopping the white walkers. As much as people want Stannis killed now, I want Shireen's death to actually mean something. In the context of Stannis believing he's the only one who can stop the long night though, Shireen's death wasn't fair, and it was cruel. Of course, this war and the white walkers aren't fair or nice either. Many other kids and people like Shireen have and will die awful deaths before the series is over as long as the war continues and the white walkers aren't stopped.

Ratrat

Yep. It seems to fit well now too though.
Edric Storm wasn't Stannis' heir. In the books Stannis and Selyse are probably in their mid-thirties so there is a minuscule chance she could have another miracle baby. In the show they are too old and unless he wants to lose House Florent and all the Queensmen, remarrying is not an option.

Zolo

Edric Storm wasn't Stannis' heir. In the books Stannis and Selyse are probably in their mid-thirties so there is a minuscule chance she could have another miracle baby. In the show they are too old and unless he wants to lose House Florent and all the Queensmen, remarrying is not an option.

This is why I've said he's doing this because he wants to stop the long night; not for the throne.

Ratrat

This is why I've said he's doing this because he wants to stop the long night; not for the throne.
I think it's pretty clear that Stannis rightfully, doesn't buy everything Melisandre tells him. He makes it pretty clear he wants Shireen on the throne and this war is as much for her sake as his. Burning Edric and being wrong is completely different than burning his heir and being wrong. I don't think he'd gamble with her life.

If only Jon had just fucked Mel none of this shit would have happened.

He was referring to Edric Storm here, and was in an incredibly dark place emotionally. Just lost his first battle, a lot has changed since then. Nice try, though.

Can anyone explain to me why people are taking things happening in the show as eventualities in the book? It's been established since the beginning of this season that the two are 100% their own entities now, the only responsibilities Dave and Dan have to the source is to end at the same place. GRRM has even said this himself, and there's already several plot threads that have gone way off course from DWD and AFFC. Stannis ordering Shireen's death is a character moment, just like Sansa agreeing to go to Winterfell was - both of them probably end up having no significance in the endgame.

No one was even suggesting that Stannis would be the one to kill Shireen before Sunday's episode. People thought Melisandre might do it, but I never saw one peep about Stannis giving the order. Considering we've been writing off the show for every single character thing they've changed so far, why is this suddenly something that's for certain happening in the books? There's nothing to back it up in the text up to this point. I'm willing to believe it might happen down the line in an extremely different set of circumstances, but even then it's uncertain.

Furoba

Except even out of formation, you'd think a bunch of soldiers raised from childhood to fight and only fight would be able to take on a bunch of elitist fat cats with daggers hiding behind masks. But no, apparently the Harpys are the true power of Essos, they can completely go undetected in crowds, throw spears like Achilles and almost kill Drogon etc.

The Unsullied compared to how they were built up, have been a complete let down on the show. Maybe they were always poor but it's more the show has used them to build up the other parts. The only way to show Dany in danger despite having thousands of Unsullied is to make them fight worse than Hot Pie.

I agree with you, perhaps they should have either been more consistent with the Unsullied being not as elite they were first shown to be, or they should not have represented the Harpys as soly "daggered fat cats" (like mixing in mercenaries and former soldiers).
Giving the Harpys concealed crossbows or something would also have made it more convincing for them to take out Unsullied, as well as being able to hurt Drogon.

Vox captures the issue

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/8/8748255/game-of-thrones-shocking-moments

Ultimately, Shireen's death and the Harpys' attack on Dany were forced to compete for screen time, and both were shortchanged by the fact that Game of Thrones is seemingly becoming more self-conscious in its continued efforts to be known as a "shocking" TV show. I don't know what next week's season five finale has in store, but I sure hope it concentrates less on staging "big" events and more on how the ones we've already witnessed will affect the overall story in season six.

I think it is born out of what catapulted GoT into the run away hit it became. Ned's beheading. Initially GoT was being watched yes, but it was Ned's unexpected death that really made a wider majority of people take notice. And I think this season dealing with weak source material they have gone for more of it.

The fighting pit scene should have been directed by the guy who did Hardhome too.

Can anyone explain to me why people are taking things happening in the show as eventualities in the book? It's been established since the beginning of this season that the two are 100% their own entities now, the only responsibilities Dave and Dan have to the source is to end at the same place. GRRM has even said this himself, and there's already several plot threads that have gone way off course from DWD and AFFC. Stannis ordering Shireen's death is a character moment, just like Sansa agreeing to go to Winterfell was - both of them probably end up having no significance in the endgame.

No one was even suggesting that Stannis would be the one to kill Shireen before Sunday's episode. People thought Melisandre might do it, but I never saw one peep about Stannis giving the order. Considering we've been writing off the show for every single character thing they've changed so far, why is this suddenly something that's for certain happening in the books? There's nothing to back it up in the text up to this point. I'm willing to believe it might happen down the line in an extremely different set of circumstances, but even then it's uncertain.

Because in Inside the Episode, D&D say that when George told them about this happening in the books...Only there is no confirmation on Stannis actually ordering it in the book vs. Shireen burning which everybody expected to happen.

Moff

well, simply because they are not 100% different and never will be, that's a silly statement.
or do you expect jon to march on kings landing next episode? no, he will be stabbed, like in the books. next season we will get euron. it will continue to follow the books and deviate to a certain degree, as always.

and no one is saying stannis is going to kill shireen in the books, but it's certainly a possibility, and I like to think I have given many reasons in the past few days why I think it would be interesting to confront stannis with such a decision.

Brakke

Banned
Unsullied thread > you guys, makin' cool shit like this:

qZ2I9Gz.gif

Next season will be an interesting dynamic after all y'all finally quit the show and the two threads merge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom