• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

I don't see any sense in merging the threads next season, euron will be there and who knows what unused material they might use. apart from that, there will always be book discussion because of deviatons, prophecies or other details the show did not include we still talk about the tower of joy, the valonquar and azor ahai and I doubt non-readers would enjoy being confronted with that kind of discussion so it would probably make sense to have two threads even long after the show has caught up in the timeline of the books.

Branduil

This is pretty great from the other thread:

qZ2I9Gz.gif

Jorah rolling like he's a McKinney cop at a pool party.

I'm usually quite good at keeping the books and series separate from each other and enjoying them in their own way, but I really hated how they completely ruined Stannis' character this episode. He had this aura of stern authority about him that was awesome and something the show needed after the death of lord badass Tywin Lannister. But now that he's gone and done this... sigh!

The pit part was cool, despite some silliness (Jorah's weird ass Dark Souls roll, the harpies not bothering to hurl spears at Dany instead of the Dragon). The special effects were excellent in my opinion and I actually have no issues with Emilia Clarke's acting unlike majority of the people on these boards.

Vik

Banned
From TWoW chapter apparently

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him? - Stannis to Theon

Make Ramsay and his 20 good men even more absurd.

Partition

Banned
GoT S5 Soundtrack

Mother's Mercy

Throne for the Game

Throne sounds like a song you would play for a death scene, a particularly stabby one.

You forgot to add Atonement, which is probably the one that plays during Cerise's walk.

The reason I bring this up is Mother's Mercy doesn't really fit anything if Atonement is the one used during the Walk. Reddit is catching onto that and is already throwing LSH out there.

Besides LSH, the only thing I can think of the Mother's Mercy track being used for would be Varys killing Pycelle and Kevan, something which we aren't entirely sure is going to happen this season.

Carcetti

I didn't particularly like the last two books and I despise taleban-like purists like that westeros couple but the series seems to have joined the books to the race into the bottom. The lifeless dorne plot, Xena Snakes, meandering Arya scenes, super-telegraphed shocky-shock scenes like Shireen's burning and the overall terribleness of Meereen is painful. We used to watch the show and really enjoy it but last ep we were slamming it non-stop like it was Mystery Science Theater. Much laughs were had by the assumption these knife guys with masks they can probably hardly see out of are somehow dangerous. Neither of us even bothered to point out magical superhero Ramsay's abilities anymore.

The sole bright spots are Cersei and (amazingly) Jon Snow now so at least the last ep should be entertaining.

Gnome

I remember when everyone used to say that Jon Snow was boring, now everyone loves Jon Snow. Typical GoT when you think about it, considering he'll die next episode.

eot

Banned
I'm at least glad they're not setting up Alliser Thorne to stab Jon. If anything I think he'll be against it, in the show anyway.

Real Hero

I'm at least glad they're not setting up Alliser Thorne to stab Jon. If anything I think he'll be against it, in the show anyway.

I think they might do that, but considering he already tried to have Jon assassinated it might ring a bit false.

Tabris

Hmm, I was kind of expecting the dragon to take out more people before getting hurt honestly.

What was it like in the book? Because during the Astapor scene when the dragon was much smaller, it was blowing up so much with it's fire breath. Then you hear about the old dragons burning down Harrenhall and helping to conquering the 7 Kingdoms. Here, he takes out like maybe 15-20 people before being injured.

Moff

I think there's no way to predict how thorne and olly react during the stabbing, all combinations are plausible in my opinion and it doesn't really matter, what matters is if they leave him there or show a book spoiler.

Tabris

I think they might do that, but considering he already tried to have Jon assassinated it might ring a bit false.

When did he do that? He was recommended by Janos to send Jon to Crasters Keep by himself and then if he doesn't come back he would go unopposed. Jon got more volunteers then expected though and returned.

But no direct assassination attempt.

Hmm, I was kind of expecting the dragon to take out more people before getting hurt honestly.

What was it like in the book? Because during the Astapor scene when the dragon was much smaller, it was blowing up so much with it's fire breath. Then you hear about the old dragons burning down Harrenhall and helping to conquering the 7 Kingdoms. Here, he takes out like maybe 15-20 people before being injured.

He killed 6 people (one an unarmed woman) and a boar in the book. He also took a spear or two.

Ratrat

He killed 6 people (one an unarmed woman) and a boar in the book. He also took a spear or two.
Yeah, I think he just lands there to eat a few people for fun. Most of the crowd ran and a few brave souls tried to take him down.

I liked the scene well enough. Though I'm kind of sad that what has been described as a 'heavy metal album cover' from the books is being compared to Neverending Story. They completely changed the context of the scene with the Harpies and eminent death, so no whip, yes deus ex machina and Dany leaving her friends in a pit with Harpies.

Joni

When did he do that? He was recommended by Janos to send Jon to Crasters Keep by himself and then if he doesn't come back he would go unopposed. Jon got more volunteers then expected though and returned.

Thorne in the show seems a bit asshole-ish, but he comes off as a good guy in the end. Would be disappointing if it is him doing the stabbing.

nib95

Banned
The Dragon is still a child/teenager. GGRM says himself that they will get Smaug sized in good time, but that right now they're at only half their potential, if that.

duckroll

Thorne is not going to stab the Lord Commander. He's more likely going to watch the Lord Commander get stabbed with a "I told you so" look in his eyes. If he actually had no respect for his vows and the leadership of the Watch, he has had so many chances to get Jon Snow killed this season. Including not opening the gate when he returns.

Madness

There's no reason to merge the threads next season. The other thread would hate the amount of bitching that goes on in here.

When I was a show only watcher, I didn't like it when book readers tried to subtly spoil the show. One guy basically told the whole Ramsay/Roose plot, the Tywin/Frey/Robb betray plot by the second episode lol and tried to make me and others look like idiots because we didn't notice the way Theon was strung up matched the banners of the guys who captured Jaime.

But I did like when book readers would help explain things better, things that didn't affect the show, but did help to explain or understand stuff. Certain motives, what kind of characters they are.

As an aside, I think Ser Aliser is honorable enough that he won't stand for the Lord Commander being mutinied at Castle Black. Unlike the books, Jon didn't break a huge rule by getting involved in Seven Kingdoms politics such as him about to ride to Winterfell with the Wildlings. Here, instead of killing Wildlings as a way to end the Crow/Free Folk war, he chose the peaceful route. I think Olly and Olly alone will knife Jon. While others will want to do it, I think it'll be that more shocking to Jon in that he thinks he's safest in his quarters alone with his steward who is Olly, only for Olly to betray him?

Real Hero

Yeah you are right. I was thinking Locke was told to kill him but I don't think he was

Ikael

- Shireen could have ended up being burned and sacrificed, but by Mel and in order to revive his father, rather than by the hands of her own father, extinguishing his bloodline in order to just get a little tad warm weather

- Jon could have ended up getting stabbed by his comrades at the night's watch, for he convinced them to focus into the Northern treath of the White Walkers only to change his mind 24 hours after when he knew about his sister's travails, hence the "for the watch" line, instead of "Olly really hates Wildlings!"

- Sansa could have ended up being married to Ramsay end even end up raped, but then plot to turn Bolton father against children by killing fat Walda, showing cunning and deliberate ruthlessness rather than just waiting to be rescued and ending up killing a made up character (Myranda) by chance, just to show how much "stronger" she has become

- Jaime could have ended up becoming an ally of Dorne out of conviction, re-forging of his owm identity as a peacemaker with the help of Doran, instead of being seduced / talked out of it by a shuddenly-reasonable Ellaria

There's a million ways to arrive to the same plot destinations that Martin laid out for his books without needing to resorting to bad, "shocking" characterization. I don't believe that the show's writters are evil, nor heretic hacks hell bent into changing the books so they can enrage the fanbase. They're just whoefully mediocre writters. And that's really sad, because there was a real oportunity to improve the books, purism nonwithstanding.

Ratrat

What was the Ellaria swearing her allegiance to Doran scene about? Why were they crying? Did he reveal the plot to them, hence Ellaria suddenly being really nice to Jaime?
I'm disappointed in how little consequence the whole thing had. No Myrcella maiming, Trystane assassination plot or queenmaker and it turns out all the seducing and poisoning of Bronn served no purpose at all. The Hotah punch was funny as if the writers were demonstrating just how inconsequential everything was. That Sand Snake slapping scene was really weird though, like they realized they forgot to give that actress any dialogue so they put that scene in for her.

eot

Banned
Jon could have ended up getting stabbed by his comrades at the night's watch, for he convinced them to focus into the Northern treath of the White Walkers only to change his mind 24 hours after when he knew about his sister's travails, hence the "for the watch" line, instead of "Olly really hates Wildlings!"

That can still happen and I think it will.

bengraven

Consider me #OllyDies

No one is going to save him except maybe Edd will step forward - or already have been sent away with Sam and Gilly or just not around.

But they have to know we're setting up the kid to kill Jon. It's so obvious to book readers. Hell I think even non-book readers are like "olly is going to do something".

So he's either going to save Jon or he's going to die first or second somehow. I suppose if he dies after Jon that circumstances might make it seem like OllySaves, so I guess put me in for that, but I think Olly is going to just die.

Forkball

Any non-book character is basically cannon fodder. Ros got offed, and Myranda and Olly are next. If they do the pink letter, what does it even say? Give us Davos?

SteveWD40

Assuming they stab Jon for some other reason that leaving the wall (no way would he try that now), I am guessing:

Wun Wun kills a Crow (why spend the money if not to use him to drive the plot), Jon is blamed.

Olly stabs first, backs away with the regretful look, "forgive me"

Thorne and others finish him off, "for the watch" but no tears. Ed kills Thorne.

I agree with those saying Brienne kills Stannis, Mel trys to res him ala Thoros and nothing happens (at WF) but at the Wall, Jon's eyes open, cut to black.

Assuming they stab Jon for some other reason that leaving the wall (no way would he try that now), I am guessing:

Wun Wun kills a Crow (why spend the money if not to use him to drive the plot), Jon is blamed.

Olly stabs first, backs away with the regretful look, "forgive me"

Thorne and others finish him off, "for the watch" but no tears. Ed kills Thorne.

I agree with those saying Brienne kills Stannis, Mel trys to res him ala Thoros and nothing happens (at WF) but at the Wall, Jon's eyes open, cut to black.

some crow tries to rape wun wun
sam fites him because he loves him (they're both big guys)
sam gets rekt
ghost kills the crow
crows blame ghost and jon
crows kill jon, "for the watch" is replaced by "for you"
jon wargs in ghost

Forkball

*inhales*

Burning Shireen was fucking stupid. Let me preface this by saying it could very well happen in the book, and hell there have been many theories centered on her getting burned ("waking a dragon from stone"). However, the build up to that scene was absolutely ridiculous and in direct conflict with everything they have done with Stannis this season and prior seasons in regards to his daughter. What was the entire point of the scene with Stannis and Shireen earlier this season? To solely build up the stone men? To make the burning scene seem more ironic and impacting? It didn't work. It just made the scene seem worse. Stannis makes a complete 180 on his treatment of Shireen in a few hours. We get zero internal struggle with Stannis making this decision, he just automatically flips to "Oh well, plan B." This is the man who held Storm's End for a year A YEAR and he can't eat some horses until Davos comes back? It makes Stannis seem like he has zero foresight as well. He burns his only heir. Stannis wins, he's king for like 15 years, the end. I can't see Stannis making a decision like that whatsoever.

Not to mention how the whole thing played out was remarkably dumb. It's like D&D had the footnote "Shireen gets burned" and had to fill in the holes themselves. Instead of burning Shireen, why not punish THE WOMAN WHO CAN SEEMINGLY PREDICT THE FUTURE AND YET DID NOT SEE THIS PIVOTAL MOMENT IN THE CAMPAIGN? Big Boss Ramsay... Jesus. Stannis is perhaps the best commander in Westeros, has the backing of the Iron Bank, the most wealthy organization in the world with connections to magical assassins, and loses all of his supplies to TWENTY DUDES WITH ZERO COMBAT ABILITY. This is James Cameron and Unobtanium levels of, "Fuck it, it just happens ok just roll with it." I'm absolutely baffled. I just want to point out that Ramsay has effectively ended both the Greyjoy and Baratheon lines.

Stannis Baratheon said:
"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"
You should fear him because he has twenty good men apparently.

dsp

Remember when we all thought Bronn was going to die in Dorne? Darkstar, poison, whatever. At least that hasn't happened. Not yet anyway. If he dies in episode 10 I'm gonna be pissed.

By the way, is this episode going to be way longer than usual? There's a lot of stuff to cover. Stannis and the Boltons, Arya assassination and blindness, Cersei's confession and walk, sending Sam to Oldtown, Jon Snow's "death", whatever the fuck is going on in Dorne, Sansa and Reek and Brienne for all I know, Varys getting his hands dirty, and so on.

Madness

What was the Ellaria swearing her allegiance to Doran scene about? Why were they crying? Did he reveal the plot to them, hence Ellaria suddenly being really nice to Jaime?
I'm disappointed in how little consequence the whole thing had. No Myrcella maiming, Trystane assassination plot or queenmaker and it turns out all the seducing and poisoning of Bronn served no purpose at all. The Hotah punch was funny as if the writers were demonstrating just how inconsequential everything was. That Sand Snake slapping scene was really weird though, like they realized they forgot to give that actress any dialogue so they put that scene in for her.

Ellaria was crying because Doran gave her another chance and let her daughters/stepdaughters out of jail. He said he believed in second chances, but not third chances. The whole Dorne storyline has been absolute shit. Indira Varma accent went back to last season accent as well. Whereas in the start of this season she sounded nothing like last season and more Spanish.

I mean threatening to cut Myrcella up and send her piece by piece back and for what? Because Oberyn lost by combat because he was cocky? What happened to him saying to Cersei 'we don't hurt little girls in Dorne'. Her story is so different from Arianne. Also, I agree. There was no Darkstar, Arys Oakheart, no Quentyn etc. Seems like such a waste of so much money too. The preseason preview showed how cameras couldn't fit in this Spanish castle museum so they had to get special rigs and lighter ones. I'd much rather have had Blackfish or Jaime roaming around Kings Landing, learning how to be a Lannister, contemplating his legacy 'defeated by the young wolf' etc.

Forkball

What was the entire point of poisoning Bronn anyways? I thought they were gonna turn him into Darkstar but apparently not. Basically nothing happened in Dorne at all. Myrcella and Trystane go to King's Landing (???). That's it. Jaime had zero character development whatsoever and just looked like a joke all season. Even in his boring ass Riverlands story you could at least see a change in how he views himself and others. Did we even hear Hotah's name? Dorne was such a shame this season because the actors who portray Doran and Hotah are entertaining.

And WHY would you send you HEIR to be a political hostage in King's Landing? I know Doran's playing the long game, but damn man what the hell? You have so many balls in your court and then you just toss them away.

Also did anyone laugh when Hizdahr got stabbed? That came out of nowhere and no one seemed to care at all. Why were the Harpies killing random innocent people anyways? Aren't they simply fighting Dany's rule? The people at the stadium aren't in favor of her, why kill them? Why kill fucking Hizdahr when he could be an extremely important hostage? WHY

Save us Night's King

hiryu

They certainly produced the worst season yet, that is for sure. This is Big Bang theory season 8 bad.

I had a feeling once the source material ran out, they would struggle. I just didn't think it would be this much. Love the show still my favorite of all time, but the quality this season has been the poorest thus far.

They are still on the source material. The problem is the source material is just plain bad. The last GoT book was one of the worst books I ever finished.

Zabka

*inhales*

Burning Shireen was fucking stupid. Let me preface this by saying it could very well happen in the book, and hell there have been many theories centered on her getting burned ("waking a dragon from stone"). However, the build up to that scene was absolutely ridiculous and in direct conflict with everything they have done with Stannis this season and prior seasons in regards to his daughter. What was the entire point of the scene with Stannis and Shireen earlier this season? To solely build up the stone men? To make the burning scene seem more ironic and impacting? It didn't work. It just made the scene seem worse. Stannis makes a complete 180 on his treatment of Shireen in a few hours. We get zero internal struggle with Stannis making this decision, he just automatically flips to "Oh well, plan B." This is the man who held Storm's End for a year A YEAR and he can't eat some horses until Davos comes back? It makes Stannis seem like he has zero foresight as well. He burns his only heir. Stannis wins, he's king for like 15 years, the end. I can't see Stannis making a decision like that whatsoever.

Not to mention how the whole thing played out was remarkably dumb. It's like D&D had the footnote "Shireen gets burned" and had to fill in the holes themselves. Instead of burning Shireen, why not punish THE WOMAN WHO CAN SEEMINGLY PREDICT THE FUTURE AND YET DID NOT SEE THIS PIVOTAL MOMENT IN THE CAMPAIGN? Big Boss Ramsay... Jesus. Stannis is perhaps the best commander in Westeros, has the backing of the Iron Bank, the most wealthy organization in the world with connections to magical assassins, and loses all of his supplies to TWENTY DUDES WITH ZERO COMBAT ABILITY. This is James Cameron and Unobtanium levels of, "Fuck it, it just happens ok just roll with it." I'm absolutely baffled. I just want to point out that Ramsay has effectively ended both the Greyjoy and Baratheon lines.

To show that he loved her more than anything else, but when it came down to it he believes so strongly in his cause that he was willing to sacrifice the person he loved the most in the world. Just like Azor Ahai.

Why would he punish Mel? She told him what he needed to do for victory and he didn't listen to her. The same happened at the Blackwater.

Moff

Also did anyone laugh when Hizdahr got stabbed? That came out of nowhere and no one seemed to care at all. Why were the Harpies killing random innocent people anyways? Aren't they simply fighting Dany's rule? The people at the stadium aren't in favor of her, why kill them? Why kill fucking Hizdahr when he could be an extremely important hostage? WHY

it's not really unheard of that extremists kill innocents and even their own to fuel a fire. all they care about is chaos. I didn't laugh when hizdarh got stabbed, I was surprised he wasn't the harpy, I'm still not 100% sold though, might have been a trick somehow.

duckroll

TWENTY DUDES WITH ZERO COMBAT ABILITY

Can we please stop the slander? Ramsay clearly asked for twenty good men. He was very clear to his father. Did he ask for twenty untrained men? No. Did he ask for twenty Unsullied? Nope. He asked for twenty good men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom