• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wall of Shame for the off-season thread:
yOGHtDO.png

- Paul Suda's Tower of Joy fan film is out (youtube)
- Grantland/Channel 33 Podcast with Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan: Ep. 92: 'The Watch'
Andy and Chris prepare for the 'Game of Thrones' premiere with help from Mallory Rubin and Jason Concepcion (16:30)

Do we really have to spoiler tag talk about Jon coming back?

We know he's not dead, we've known he's not dead for years. No sane person who's read the books or seen the show thinks he's dead.
No, speculate away.

- Esquire interview with Aidan Gillen
- YahooTV interview with Liam Cunningham

- Watchers: Pre-season ratings post: further growth for Game of Thrones?
What is the state of the game at this point? Last season opened with 8 million viewers of the first airing of the episode (after rounding), and set an all-time record with the final episode and 8.11 million viewers. Below you can see the representation of the initial viewership of Game of Thrones over the seasons (click to enlarge), compared to HBO’s latest long-running and most successful dramas (as always, season runs longer – or shorter – than the 10 episodes of Thrones have been compressed).

9NdQjOM.jpg
More via the link.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Hmmm I think growth might actually slow down for Season 6. Season 5 burnt (literally) some of the book watchers I think. However who knows. Stuff like this is unpredictable.

Jayof9s

Re: Jon Snow

I kept my cool since the airing of season 5's finale. I stood firm beyond reasoning that a character whose origin was relevant enough to be a deciding factor in D&D's interview with RR Martin cannot be eliminated yet, that the Beric Dondarrion's revival was there to setup Melisandre/Jon Snow.

However, I saw this interview and I'm starting to panic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0hsKz2NFI

On the other hand, the first episode is called The Red Woman. With that in mind, I feel like we may not be waiting too long to see Jon resurrected if that's the plan. I don't know why else she would be getting an episode titled for her but I could be surprised.

Seasons 4 and 5 viewership in terms of average viewer on first run airing as well as average across HBO's platforms are neck and neck. I'd expect pretty much the same for season 6, although an all time high for 601 wouldn't surprise me.

Re: Jon Snow

I kept my cool since the airing of season 5's finale. I stood firm beyond reasoning that a character whose origin was relevant enough to be a deciding factor in D&D's interview with RR Martin cannot be eliminated yet, that the Beric Dondarrion's revival was there to setup Melisandre/Jon Snow.

However, I saw this interview and I'm starting to panic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0hsKz2NFI

Pretty sure that's what Kit and D+D want you to feel.

mantidor

I can't believe I made it to the wall of shame.

I'll probably see the premiere at a local bar, I saw the finale there last year so it should be good.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Seasons 4 and 5 viewership in terms of average viewer on first run airing as well as average across HBO's platforms are neck and neck. I'd expect pretty much the same for season 6, although an all time high for 601 wouldn't surprise me.

Oh most definitely the opening will have the highest ratings of the series yet. Depending if they do not make a crap of the season it should stay consistent.

Speevy

Banned
lol

Defends his treason? Doesn't he pretty much own the Night's Watch now with Jon Snow out of the way?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Pretty pumped on this season. I hope some cool shit happens.

HAWDOKEN

I have been re-watching the season and something I've brought up on other sites is that during the Hardhome episode the clang that occurs when Jon's VS sword meets the walker's sword could be considered a note in a song of ice and fire. Genuinely curious to find out if anyone here agrees. I also wonder if it has any meaning beyond the obvious. Maybe it's a callback to the theory that Jon embodies a song of ice and fire or that the song (at least a song) will be a euphemism for a battle or a duel.

Speevy

Banned
I have been re-watching the season and something I've brought up on other sites is that during the Hardhome episode the clang that occurs when Jon's VS sword meets the walker's sword could be considered a note in a song of ice and fire. Genuinely curious to find out if anyone here agrees. I also wonder if it has any meaning beyond the obvious. Maybe it's a callback to the theory that Jon embodies a song of ice and fire or that the song (at least a song) will be a euphemism for a battle or a duel.

If there's a euphemism in the show, it's probably for sex.

Raynes

Had a dream Stannis was still alive, Jon was brought back. They both grouped up again to fight the Boltons but they both died. Completely unlikely, but it's a nice funny idea to have Jon be brought back only to be killed right after.

Speevy

Banned
Had a dream Stannis was still alive, Jon was brought back. They both grouped up again to fight the Boltons but they both died. Completely unlikely, but it's a nice funny idea to have Jon be brought back only to be killed right after.

That's a sad dream. I'm glad I only have to see the show runners destroy Stannis Baratheon once.

Speevy

Banned
I haven't seen any season 6 footage of Hodor, but then again they haven't shown much of Bran in the real world (as opposed to the vision world).

So my guess is that he and Meera have at least one scene. Given what the whitewalkers are doing, things don't look good for the big guy.

Chase17

Still working on catching up. Finished S4, looks like Jamie and Tyrion leave on much better terms. Although I guess his outburst at Jamie was worked into that court scene. Was surprised to see Varys go with Tyrion.

Starting S5 today, haven't heard great things about it. Kind of upset we won't get the Arianne story either.

Think I'll should be able to catch up for Season 6 on Sunday.

Speevy

Banned
Still working on catching up. Finished S4, looks like Jamie and Tyrion leave on much better terms. Although I guess his outburst at Jamie was worked into that court scene. Was surprised to see Varys go with Tyrion.

Starting S5 today, haven't heard great things about it. Kind of upset we won't get the Arianne story either.

Think I'll should be able to catch up for Season 6 on Sunday.

Leave the room during the Dorne stuff.

Kind of reminds me of a theory I read a long time ago about whether Waymar Royce's encounter with the Others was a ritual to determine whether he had a connection to the Song of Ice and Fire.
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/3ol77p

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if the trailers for the whitewalker-dominated seasons are just going to be various characters huddled together.

HAWDOKEN

Kind of reminds me of a theory I read a long time ago about whether Waymar Royce's encounter with the Others was a ritual to determine whether he had a connection to the Song of Ice and Fire.
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/3ol77p
That's the first I've heard of this theory. Interesting stuff.

I think that Jon's parentage is a bit of a smoke screen. Lots of clues hinting that he is a song of ice and fire, but I think that hides the deeper implications of what "a song of ice and fire" could be. I think the doom of Valyria and the Walkers have some parallels in proven/potential destructive forces. I like to think that the story is progressing towards some meeting between those two forces. Hopefully there will be some cool surprises when it comes down to revealing what 'a song of ice and fire' is verses it just being about Jon.

Loke13

So any ideas on where the final battle against the White Walkers takes place? In the North or near Kings Landing? I feel like after the long build up it would be wasted if the South didn't experience at least WW carnage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom