• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Was there a reason the High Sparrow would start Loras' trial without the King or Cersei present but wouldn't let him leave afterwards? Why did they need to be there for Cersei?

so they could all go boom, and for marg still seem smart at the end.

MedicUnderFire

Neo Member
Was there a reason the High Sparrow would start Loras' trial without the King or Cersei present but wouldn't let him leave afterwards? Why did they need to be there for Cersei?

I also presume he didn't want any of the Tyrell to leave either, as they were important to Cersei trial.

Shahadan

So what's Jon real name then? Lyanna clearly says "his name is..." and her mouth movement certainly isn't spelling Jon.
I'm not sure if it was intended to prevent the shift to Jon's face being ruined, but then again they could have cut the beginning of his name. So I guess it's a plot device then? A way for people to know he's Targ. Who would know about that anyway? Bran I guess but no one will care about what he has to say, unless it's only intended to be told to Jon himself.

Turin

Banned
Sansa has an internal struggle to deal with. Littlefinger won't win

fingers crossed this is just misleading the viewers...

Sansa watching over Jon would be so much better and would work really well considering Jon's lack of political and back stabbing knowledge/skills.

She'd be the silent protector.

You'd think after dyeing pretty much the same way his father and brother died, he'd at least be a little more cautious instead of just "Eh. Moving on".

I hope Jon shows at least a little bit of evolution there even if it's just touched on briefly. Even just an acknowledgement from him that he'll need a "master of whisperers" or what have you because he has bigger things to worry about.

That was a lovely payoff to a lot of plot threads. As a book nerd, I can give the series a lot of crap about its worldbuilding, tone and characterisation... but in the finale, they really played to the strengths of the visual medium. Some of it was downright operatic with no weak performances (even Tommen, look at his silent acting in the opening montage.)

Ramin Djawadi is the real MVP here.

do you people think the show will eventually give some sort of explanation why dany is fireproof, or will it just be left as "eh, it's magic, deal with it."?

I don't think it will. In the books, her being immune to fire is seemingly (and according to Martin) a one-time event, a miracle. The only difference in the show is that instead of it being one-time, it seems like it was a gift bestowed upon her by the gods/magic/whatever. I think it false under the same category as the resurrections, in that they "work in mysterious ways".

Ratrat

I also presume he didn't want any of the Tyrell to leave either, as they were important to Cersei trial.
How so?

so they could all go boom, and for marg still seem smart at the end.
That could have happened anyway.

Loras is essentially a nobody.

Cersei however, he wanted to make an example out of her, and he didn't want any of the people at the septon to leave

Heir to Highgarden < Kings mother...possible future Lady of Highgarden...
I don't see it. The outcome was inevitable, I dont see why Marg and Loras needed to stay.

Brakke

Banned
Damn I just noticed the Unsullied thread smoked us on post count this season. We're ultra-behind if you remove all the shitposts and Speevy double posts from this one. >.<;;

RIP this thread, I guess we gotta move on to the Off Season thread?

So what's Jon real name then? Lyanna clearly says "his name is..." and her mouth movement certainly isn't spelling Jon.
I'm not sure if it was intended to prevent the shift to Jon's face being ruined, but then again they could have cut the beginning of his name. So I guess it's a plot device then? A way for people to know he's Targ. Who would know about that anyway? Bran I guess but no one will care about what he has to say, unless it's only intended to be told to Jon himself.

According to a lip reader, it might be "Aerys"

The High Sparrow was using Loras as the leverage to make Margaery convert Tommen in order to begin Cersei to trial. As he said the deal was only to release him after her conviction.

Black_Sun

I'm relieved LSH didn't happen in the finale. As a non-bookreader it sounded so stupid and anti-climatic.

Ideas are all about execution. Even actual stupid shit can be great in practice.

And LSH seems like she'll be important

Anyways LS is a great idea pre-Jon's resurrection. It gets you worried that even if Jon comes back it could be as a monstrosity. And LS is part of Cat's character arc who has been moving towards becoming a more and more vengeful person throughout the story similar to Arya.

But LS isn't a great idea post Jon's resurrection which was I was hoping that she wouldn't appear in this episode.

devilhawk

I've always felt that if all these great houses were that obsessed with continuing their lines, they should all have a dozen children from every marriage. They seem pretty chill about the whole thing despite it being literally the most important thing in their lives.
In the books, the Martells and Tyrells do have more relatives than in the show. They were smarter about having more children than their counterparts in the show.

Ratrat

I thought he'd use Margery against her somehow or someway. But maybe he didn't want them to leave, cos it would keep Tommen in line?
A mouse could do that. Boy has no spine.

The High Sparrow was using Loras as the leverage to make Margaery convert Tommen in order to begin Cersei to trial. As he said the deal was only to release him after her conviction.
Pretty sure Tommen converted first? Or was folding the moment he met him. Why would Marg need to be pursuaded to destroy Cersei? The HS could easily have got Tommen to make the order as well. Easiest thing in the world.

Deadline did an interview with D&D about the finale and Season 7. Here are some of the interesting bits:

DEADLINE: Arya is disguised as a young servant girl when she kills Walden Frey. At first, she glanced seductively at Jaime Lannister. Was Arya targeting Jaime, and when he didn&#8217;t respond, she took out the man who killed her mother and brother in the Red Wedding? And was there symmetry to how Walder invited Robb to a feast to celebrate his wedding, and then Arya feeding Walder pies baked containing body parts of his own sons?

BENIOFF: That&#8217;s 100 percent on the money. A+. The funny thing is, she came because Walder Frey is on her list. Jaime is not on her list, that I recall. But he is a Lannister and that allowed us an opportunity for misdirection, to show this pretty girl making eyes at Jaime Lannister. This whole scene is about how it sucks to Bronn, and have to sit there whole all the pretty girls make eyes at Jaime Lannister. But the eyes she was making toward him were about who he was, and the murderous wheels of vengeance were spinning in his brain over how, maybe, she could get a two for one on this deal. That ends up not happening, though, and she takes care of the original target.

DEADLINE: Bran&#8217;s half uncle who rescued his nephew from the White Walkers, left the boy because he&#8217;s half undead and couldn&#8217;t go further. He said the wall wasn&#8217;t just ice and rock, but contains spells that keep the dead in the North. The fans talk about the Horn of Joramund, which was said to have the power to topple the wall, and which the Wildlings searched for at one time. Any hints on where this is going?

BENIOFF: We don&#8217;t want to give away too much. There are the books, and the show, and it would be a disservice to both if we went into too much detail on whether we&#8217;re going to use this or that. What is laid out in this season is, very clearly, that the wall isn&#8217;t just a physical structure keeping the army of the dead out. If the Wildlings managed to make it over, which they have, and the Night King has so much more in the way of both power and troops who&#8217;ll do literally anything he says&#8230;we&#8217;ll keep it at that for now.

DEADLINE: Now that Walder and Ramsey Bolton are out of the way, you have done away with two of your most deliciously evil villains. Your most formidable villain is the Night King, who leads the White Walkers. How much of a challenge has it been, writing a menacing character who doesn&#8217;t talk, when your greatest villains established their loathsomeness through dialogue as much as atrocious acts?

WEISS: I don&#8217;t think of the Night King as a villain as much as, Death. He is not like Joffrey, or Ramses. He&#8217;s not really human anymore. To me, evil comes when you have a choice between that and good, and you choose the wrong way. The Night King doesn&#8217;t have a choice; he was created that way, and that&#8217;s what he is. In some ways, he&#8217;s just death, coming for everyone in the story, coming for all of us. In some ways, it&#8217;s appropriate he doesn&#8217;t speak. What&#8217;s death going to say? Anything would diminish him. He&#8217;s just a force of destruction. I don&#8217;t think we&#8217;ve ever been tempted to write dialogue for the Night King. Anything he said would be anticlimactic.

DEADLINE: When you have President Obama asking about plot points and whether Jon Snow would stay dead, it indicates you haven&#8217;t overstayed your welcome. You could continue this struggle for a long time.

WEISS: Like President Obama, we want to leave while all the people watching this show are really into it. Get out at a high point and not have it be, well thank god that&#8217;s over.

BENIOFF: It&#8217;s two more seasons we&#8217;re talking about. From pretty close to the beginning, we talked about doing this in 70-75 hours, and that&#8217;s what we&#8217;ll end up with. Call it 73 for now. What Dan says is really true, but it&#8217;s not just trying not to outstay your welcome. We&#8217;re trying to tell one cohesive story with a beginning, middle and end. As Dan said, we&#8217;ve known the end for quite some time and we&#8217;re hurtling towards it. Those last images from the show that aired last night showed that. Daenerys is finally coming back to Westeros; Jon Snow is king of the North and Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne. And we know the Night King is up there, waiting for all of them. The pieces are on the board now. Some of the pieces have been removed from the board and we are heading toward the end game. The thing that has excited us from the beginning, back to the way we pitched it to HBO is, it&#8217;s not supposed to be an ongoing show, where every season it&#8217;s trying to figure out new story lines. We wanted it to be one giant story, without padding it out to add an extra 10 hours, or because people are still watching it. We wanted to something where, if people watched it end to end, it would make sense as one continuous story. We&#8217;re definitely heading into the end game now.

Looks like they're still pushing a 6 episode Season 8.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I don't think it will. In the books, her being immune to fire is seemingly (and according to Martin) a one-time event, a miracle. The only difference in the show is that instead of it being one-time, it seems like it was a gift bestowed upon her by the gods/magic/whatever. I think it false under the same category as the resurrections, in that they "work in mysterious ways".

difference is that resurrections are relatively common on the show, so it's easier to just write them off as magic. but for one character to be immune to fire for no apparent reason, well, it's just not something you can ignore.

i would actually have preferred if they had made viserys immune to fire as well. that way you could just say targs are immune to fire and always have been, so at least it wouldn't feel so tacked on. of course then jon would probably have to be immune, but eh, you could just say the stark blood made targ blood weaker so he can burn.

The best entrepreneurs are generally known for one great brand or product that is their legacy, not creating tons and tons of stuff hoping that one sticks. Lineage can be viewed the same way! Once you have a firstborn son, you tend to invest everything into that, and the rest are just extras, you don't think of making more just as further insurance, because you don't want to think about a reality where your children get killed off one after another.

Also keep in mind that kids are a long term investment, ie: > 10 years before they are viable, so in peace time no one would be obsessed with having a huge litter of kids just to "continue the bloodline", but when they get killed off one after another at war time, well it's too late!

Also pretty sure irl nobles could adopt a kid if they couldn't produce an heir of their own. Like 80% sure, will look into it later.

Black_Sun

" I don’t think of the Night King as a villain as much as, Death. He is not like Joffrey, or Ramsey. He’s not really human anymore. To me, evil comes when you have a choice between that and good, and you choose the wrong way. The Night King doesn’t have a choice; he was created that way, and that’s what he is. In some ways, he’s just death, coming for everyone in the story, coming for all of us. In some ways, it’s appropriate he doesn’t speak. What’s death going to say? Anything would diminish him. He’s just a force of destruction. I don’t think we’ve ever been tempted to write dialogue for the Night King. Anything he said would be anticlimactic."

I'm glad they finally put an end to the idea that the WW are actually gray characters or that it's heading toward a peace between humans and the WW.

They're omnicidal and an allegory for the things we don't want to deal with because of humanity's petty disputes.

devilhawk

The only characters left who would've been in a position to know that would be Cersei, Tyrion and Varys. Maybe Jaime if Cersei told him later on.

Sansa's best hope for finding out is if Theon ever finds out from Tyrion or Varys.
May even add Robin. He could be the one the rats LF out, especially in the books.

Ratrat

BENIOFF: That’s 100 percent on the money. A+. The funny thing is, she came because Walder Frey is on her list. Jaime is not on her list, that I recall. But he is a Lannister and that allowed us an opportunity for misdirection, to show this pretty girl making eyes at Jaime Lannister. This whole scene is about how it sucks to Bronn, and have to sit there whole all the pretty girls make eyes at Jaime Lannister. But the eyes she was making toward him were about who he was, and the murderous wheels of vengeance were spinning in his brain over how, maybe, she could get a two for one on this deal. That ends up not happening, though, and she takes care of the original target.
Yeah, but why?
He probably spends the night surrounded by his men. I'm sure Arya wouldn't risk that, she probably dipped as soon as she killed Walder.
She risked killing multiple men and cooking them into a pie. Then she somehow removed everyone from Walder's hall and made him eat it before slitting his throat. She is so overpowered that I think she can manage getting close enough to Jaime to stab or poison him.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
He probably spends the night surrounded by his men. I'm sure Arya wouldn't risk that, she probably dipped as soon as she killed Walder.

but she did risk cooking people into pies.

Im sorry

But Death can have great written dialogue

See:Supernaturals version of Death.

different interpretations of death. if you're going for something that just wants to wipe everything out, stopping to chat makes no sense.

Cromwell

Banned

Lol why can't they just say the Frey pies was something from the books instead of "oh we telegraphed it in the show 3 years ago".

Interesting that Iwan Rheon auditioned for Jon. Now that I think about it, I wonder how many actors were up for that part.

I'm relieved LSH didn't happen in the finale. As a non-bookreader it sounded so stupid and anti-climatic.

Without context it sounds ridiculous, yeah, but after reading all the books up till her introduction in the epilogue of SoS... it's still one the coolest fucking moments of the entire series, and cathartic after how heart-rending the RW was.

Im sorry

But Death can have great written dialogue

See:Supernaturals version of Death.

Also Anton Chigurh.

Paganmoon

Random musing in no particular order:

* Really liked the shot of Oldtown and the Citadel, with all the white ravens leaving to tell Westeros winter has arrived.
* Opening sequence was awesome, really nicely filmed and edited, and great music. Though, I read the scene as if Margaery actually had changed, and believed in the faith? (Book-)Margaery would've just grabbed Loras and tried to leave as soon as she felt something was wrong, not trying to warn the faith/high sparrow, right?
* QoT being awesome as always, shutting annoyances down.
* Some have criticized the show for dumbing things down, but if anything really needed dumbing down, it was Tower of Joy. I was watching it with glee, while my friend was all like "wait, so who is that again?" (HBO Nordic does not run "Previously on" prior to episodes).
* Varys on the ship, come on GoT! you can explain things better. Actually show a shot of Dorne ships arriving or something.
* Regarding Sansa, no way she's going to backstab Jon. Littlefinger definitely looked peeved as fuck when Jon was declared King of the North, and Sansa was look I read more as her "seeing him". She's going to have a shadowwar with littefinger. or something.

Listening to S6 soundtrack now on Spotify, best one since S1?

What a day yesterday was, first this awesome GoT episode, then watching Iceland defeat England against all odds :)

So overall I liked the season, didn't love it. Some things just really didn't sit right with me and other stuff was just plain stupid (fuck anything involving Dorne). I feel like the show has lost its ability to really immerse me tbh. Characters are fucking teleporting everywhere and the conversations feel way more on the nose in terms of moving the plot forward than they did in earlier seasons. Nothing felt quite as real compared to stuff like Tywin talking to his kids or anything really. Like obviously those scenes served a purpose but they also just felt like genuine snippets from their lives while all the dialogue now feels more like they're hitting bullet points to keep things going.

Cromwell

Banned
I feel like the show has lost its ability to really immerse me tbh. Characters are fucking teleporting everywhere and the conversations feel way more on the nose in terms of moving the plot forward than they did in earlier seasons

Felt this way ever since some point in S4, maybe even earlier.

Kain

Girlfriend (show watcher) just asked me who was Jon's father... the show didn't do a good job with this. While it was intentional not to say "RHAEGAR DAENERYS DEAD BIG BROTHER IS JONS DAD", it was a strange mistery to leave on the air. They probably want to get Jon and Dany together in the same room before spelling it out for people, but I don't think it would hurt to give some clues to show watchers, basically because Bran's plot until know it's a little bit obscure. Like, he is the key to everything according to everyone but his job until now has been to kill people (he's a murdering bastard in my eyes) and watching TV.

Now, what is the thing with Jon's parentage? Really, he is half Targaryen, so what? This is a question it's been bothering me for a while. He can burn, we know that, so maybe the thing is that he can ride dragons? Or speak to them? Or he has the Targaryen charm and he can infatuate bad ladies (Cersei x Jon here we go?)? I don't really know what's the big deal, "anyone" with balls and a clear head can lead the war against the undead, why does it have to be a Targaryen? Damn, George, hurry up >_<

Neifirst

One thing that I super liked about the books but is missing from the show is the sort of magic acceleration. In the books the Pyromancers are clown-ass incompetent knuckleheads but as magic returns to the world they talk about how their old spells are suddenly working again and better than anyone can remember. Victarion's lava-arm is dumb as heck but it's a great case of conspicuous magic that comes in pretty late in the game.

I dug the idea that the Citadel has a conspiracy to destroy magic from the world, I'm hoping the book gets into that stuff. Like if the only way to beat the Others requires they also give up Valyrian steel and lava arms and resurrections and dragons. I expect the show showdown to be much more personal or character based than a more abstract rejection of magic.

This did come up during season 2 when Dany went to the House of the Undying, with the warlock specifically saying that his powers have grown in the presence of the dragons. But I don't recall this coming up in reference to Melisandre at all, so I generally agree with your point.

Yeah I was thinking about that too, if I hadn't read the books I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have known Rhaegar was Jon's father. I don't know if that's intentional.

Some people think complaining about teleporting characters is nit-picking but it really undercuts the credibility of the show. I really appreciate that Martin cares a lot about logistics, because it makes the world feel vast and real. Like, Theon just traveling from the middle of North to the Iron Islands with nothing but the clothes on his back? How? Arya suddenly being in Walder Frey's kitchen, killing 2 of his sons and making them into a pie without anyone catching her, and somehow the entire dining hall is empty so she can conveniently kill him? Varys teleporting between continents? Shit's just silly.

raiot

Maybe the show should have a disclaimer stating: Since last episode the following events happened:
Theon was 6 days on sea and then went for the next harbor to buy new supplies. After that he proceeded to sail for 2 months...
Or maybe they could add traveling episodes for those who enjoy watching stuff simply NOT happening.

CassSept

There's a lot of time passing between scenes at the end of the ep, but it wasn't handled well.

Aye. A lot of time had passed between Varys meeting Olenna and final scene. There are Martell and Tyrell ships in the fleet at the end. The show completely messed up communicating the flow of time in that case.

Maybe the show should have a disclaimer stating: Since last episode the following events happened:
Theon was 6 days on sea and then went for the next harbor to buy new supplies. After that he proceeded to sail for 2 months...
Or maybe they could add traveling episodes for those who enjoy watching stuff simply NOT happening.

I know you're joking, but it doesn't have to show the actual journey, the point is the audience felt the final scene happened just after the prior scenes. They messed up. The direction in the episode was phenomenal but they screwed up showing the passage of time between some events.

Ratrat

Or something sensible like a wardrobe change or haircut? The characters rarely change clothes no matter how far they travel. There are ways to suggest time passing without extra scenes.

BKJest

There's a lot of time passing between scenes at the end of the ep, but it wasn't handled well.
Yeah. I agree. Earlier seasons did a better job (while still not being perfect) of giving the audience a sense of time and disctance.

Daenerys had to build a couple hundred dragon figureheads and sails which took enough time for Varys to arrive at Mereen with the Dornish fleet (or did they stop in Dorne to pick up reinforcements and the final shot was them leaving Dorne?).

Aiii

So not worth it

While I don't really care about it either way, in the space of 3 scenes, Varys travelled from Mereen to Dorne, where Lady Olenna also travelled and learned of her family's deaths by Cersei, made an alliance with both houses. Then Varys got on Dorne's ships, sailed back to Mereen... Only to then sail back with the rest of the Targaryen fleet back to Westeros.

Meanwhile, Brienne is still rowing along trying to get back to Sansa from Riverrun, when in the same time Jaime and his entire army travelled from the same place to the Twins and then to King's Landing.

I mean, really, no disclaimer could explain any of that.

You have to literally not give a shit about continuity for any of the scenes to work, time is completely fluid in this show. Or at the very least, we're seeing different timelines for each of the storylines, meaning we're seeing Dany about 1 year ahead of what's happening in Winterfell.

raiot

Aye. A lot of time had passed between Varys meeting Olenna and final scene. There are Martell and Tyrell ships in the fleet at the end. The show completely messed up communicating the flow of time in that case.

I know you're joking, but it doesn't have to show the actual journey, the point is the audience felt the final scene happened just after the prior scenes. They messed up. The direction in the episode was phenomenal but they screwed up showing the passage of time between some events.

Yeah I know, this was just a little over the top. I just think it is nitpicking. Do you guys really go back to the last episode and compare if they switched clothings so that it is more clear that time has passed?
Sometimes the story progression has to happen and every minute counts.

The shows biggest problem is that there are so many different key plot lines and characters. Sure it would be better to stretch the Varys story to different episodes, but apperently they choose not to do it. What would the generell consense be if they just showed a 1 minute scene of Varys every episode?

Violet_0

Banned
I'm glad they finally put an end to the idea that the WW are actually gray characters or that it's heading toward a peace between humans and the WW.

They're omnicidal and an allegory for the things we don't want to deal with because of humanity's petty disputes.

The WW are really a metaphor about the dangers of procrastination. That's what the whole series is about, GRRM is a genius

Aemon or even Aegon makes more sense than Aerys.

Cromwell

Banned
Show only people have no fucking idea who Rhaegar is and would have had to pay REALLY close attention to realize he's Jon's dad. Littlefinger's talk with Sansa under Winterfell was the only recent reference and it happened last season.

What's important in the context of the show is just confirmation that Ned isn't Jon's Dad and Lyanna is his Mom. The Targaryan angle will probably come in later as it becomes relevant.

Kard8p3

but she did risk cooking people into pies.

different interpretations of death. if you're going for something that just wants to wipe everything out, stopping to chat makes no sense.

Yeah, but why?

She risked killing multiple men and cooking them into a pie. Then she somehow removed everyone from Walder's hall and made him eat it before slitting his throat. She is so overpowered that I think she can manage getting close enough to Jaime to stab or poison him.

Those were Freys, let's be real, they're all pretty stupid.

Did it actually say Jamie and co were spending the night there? Maybe they just spent a few hours and left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom