• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
mxoVuEM.gif

Mr Git

re: Jon's parentage reveal - I thought they'd made it pretty clear who the father was when Lyanna had said that Robert would kill the child. No doubt they'll spell out Rhaegar next season if they noticed people had missed the significance.

Aiii

So not worth it
Why did the sparrows block everyone anyway? The rest of them weren't on trial.

Putting the queen on trial was supposed to be their shining fuck it, we're the real power of the kingdom now, moment and the High Sparrow didn't want Cersei to take it from him. So he wanted to keep the audience there and drag Cersei in kicking and screaming.

How on Earth he figured that Lancel alone could drag Cersei out when she has Zombie Mountain and they couldn't do it before... I don't even know.

re: Jon's parentage reveal - I thought they'd made it pretty clear who the father was when Lyanna had said that Robert would kill the child. No doubt they'll spell out Rhaegar next season if they noticed people had missed the significance.

For book readers in-the-know, yes, it was obvious. For the casual non-book reader that would be fucking hard to follow. Robert's been death for forever, and the last baby's we killed were Robert's bastards, not Targaryens. I bet a ton of people were like "what the fuck is this?"

They shouldn't have done that dialogue in whispers and obscure the reveal, imo.

Mr Git

I doubt Jaime would kill Cersei without her betraying him first.

Did she not already kinda play him - getting him to fuck about in the Riverlands whilst she was hatching a wildfire plan - one that she'd probably heard Jaime talking about due to Aerys?

Shahadan

I doubt Jaime would kill Cersei without her betraying him first.

Like that's not done already :lol:
She went full Aerys and on top of that their last child killed himself because of her.

Maybe she will sleep with someone else again but that shouldn't be necessary.

XAL

She just did in that finale.

Yeah. Did something absolutely horrific that Jaime couldn't stomach when the Mad King proposed it would be reason enough to kill her. Threatening doing it again would definitely make him kill her. That and her lust for power directly resulted in their last child killing himself.

Ratrat

She just did in that finale.
Er, they were going to 100% kill her. Jaime was totally game for a wholesale slaughter of the Faith. Jaime gave up Casterly Rock and pushed Bran out a window for her. He was willing to kill Robert and Arya for her. We're to believe he would have killed Edmures baby...

Why is the HS, Tyrells and some nobles' life the tipping point? Jaime at least had other considerations for killing Aerys. Like his own family.

Crisco

Banned
People are really reading too much into shit like Varys being on the boat with Dany and what not. Remember she had a huge army of unsullied, dothraki, and all their horses to get onto boats. I imagine they needed to wait for at least a portion of the Martell/Tyrell fleet to arrive in Mereen in order to have enough room for all of them.

For book readers in-the-know, yes, it was obvious. For the casual non-book reader that would be fucking hard to follow. Robert's been death for forever, and the last baby's we killed were Robert's bastards, not Targaryens. I bet a ton of people were like "what the fuck is this?"

They shouldn't have done that dialogue in whispers and obscure the reveal, imo.

I agree. I had to do a 20 sit down explanation with my family and a little chart to explain who was who and what had happened. I guess they'll explain it more clearly in the next season but all the show watchers I know were completely lost...

mantidor

Er, they were going to 100% kill her. Jaime was totally game for a wholesale slaughter of the Faith. Jaime gave up Casterly Rock and pushed Bran out a window for her. He was willing to kill Robert and Arya for her. We're to believe he would have killed Edmures baby...

Why is the HS, Tyrells and some nobles' life the tipping point? Jaime at least had other considerations for killing Aerys. Like his own family.

The tipping point will probably be all the innocent people she also killed, and of course Tommen killing himself. It's great how they set up the scene, after the explosion instead of checking on her son she decides to go torture septa Nutella, she could have probably saved Tommen's life just by appearing there and consoling him, but as with anything Cersei related she crafts her own doom over an over.

XAL

Jaime is a bad dude, but he's not so bad that he would advocate the slaughter of hundreds/thousands via WMD.

Jaime made that pretty clear when he talked with Brienne in the tub.

In the books Jaime came to realize that he is the way he is because his sister ruined him, poisoned him. He's grown up more emotionally in the books and by the time he gets to the Riverlands he's pretty much getting to the point where he's damn near over her.

That never happened for show Jaime, but I imagine this whole "burn them all shit" is going to make him see things clearly real quick next season.

dude who is willing to fling babies with a catapult somehow suddenly cares about innocent people? and of all the shit cersei can be blamed, tommen's suicide really is not one of them. the only way to make that case is if he had somehow been portrayed as suicidal and both jaime and cersei wee aware of this. how can you know someone is going to bail out through the window?

I think for show Jaime it's going to mostly be the whole "I can't be in love with the Mad Queen, who is just as bad or worse than Aerys Targaryen"

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The tipping point will probably be all the innocent people she also killed, and of course Tommen killing himself. It's great how they set up the scene, after the explosion instead of checking on her son she decides to go torture septa Nutella, she could have probably saved Tommen's life just by appearing there and consoling him, but as with anything Cersei related she crafts her own doom over an over.

dude who is willing to fling babies with a catapult somehow suddenly cares about innocent people? and of all the shit cersei can be blamed, tommen's suicide really is not one of them. the only way to make that case is if he had somehow been portrayed as suicidal and both jaime and cersei were aware of this. how can you know someone is going to bail out through the window?

Am I the only one who is expecting a miserable, little more than a pyrrhic victory by the end of the saga?

I actually hope the white walkers will be a huge menace and in fact they will have to fight a losing war, having to give up territory until doing a final stand in the south. They are supposed to be a humanity extinct level danger, not something that can be fought in a big battle in a day.

Am I the only one who is expecting a miserable, little more than a pyrrhic victory by the end of the saga?

Knowing GRRM and what he did with Robert's Rebellion, I expect the actual battle to be standard heroic fantasy but everything that happens afterward to be at best bittersweet and at worst depressing.

Ratrat

... it's called a bluff.
Except he was cool when Cersei/Joffrey killed babies. Again, he would have killed both Arya and Bran. Its been continually established he would do literally anything for her.

He doesn't care about the first or know about the second.

As a Margaery fan, I love that moment when she tells the High Sparrow 'Forget about the bloody Gods and listen to what I'm telling you!'. At least she managed to regain her dignity before she died.

Jaime is a bad dude, but he's not so bad that he would advocate the slaughter of hundreds/thousands via WMD.

In the books Jaime came to realize that he is the way he is because his sister ruined him, poisoned him. He's grown up more emotionally in the books and by the time he gets to the Riverlands he's pretty much getting to the point where he's damn near over her.

That never happened for show Jaime, but I imagine this whole "burn them all shit" is going to make him see things clearly real quick next season.

Jaime killed the Mad King because he was about to become a mass murderer and slaughter thousands of people. And Cersei just did that exact same thing. Do people really not see the irony here? The woman he loves followed through with an event that he dishonored himself to prevent from happening. He's not going to stand for that. Not saying he'll kill Cersei just yet but she's definitely crossed the line and he won't be going back to her.

Forkball

People are really reading too much into shit like Varys being on the boat with Dany and what not. Remember she had a huge army of unsullied, dothraki, and all their horses to get onto boats. I imagine they needed to wait for at least a portion of the Martell/Tyrell fleet to arrive in Mereen in order to have enough room for all of them.

Are the unsullied going to be standing the entire way to Westeros? Goddamn Dany, let them have some R&R.

Ratrat

I think for show Jaime it's going to mostly be the whole "I can't be in love with the Mad Queen, who is just as bad or worse than Aerys Targaryen"
She killed more like a few hundred? Did you miss the part where Jaime was 100% for attacking the Faith and killing thousands? If Cersei hadn't acted she would be dead. Thats a FACT.
Jaime killed the Mad King because he was about to become a mass murderer and slaughter thousands of people. And Cersei just did that exact same thing. Do people really not see the irony here? The woman he loves followed through with an event that he dishonored himself to prevent from happening. He's not going to stand for that. Not saying he'll kill Cersei just yet but she's definitely crossed the line and he won't be going back to her.
Since when did he give a crap about honor? Cersei killed her enemies to preserve herself and in her mind, her son. Aerys wanted to burn all of Kings Landing out of spite. Never mind that Tywin was right there at the gate. Jaime had plenty of reason to kill him.

mantidor

Except he was cool when Cersei/Joffrey killed babies. Again, he would have killed both Arya and Bran. Its been continually established he would do literally anything for her.

He doesn't care about the first or know about the second.

well

And I feel he's totally going to blame her for Tommen's suicide whether its unwarranted or not, and I feel is completely warranted.

someday

Banned
dude who is willing to fling babies with a catapult somehow suddenly cares about innocent people? and of all the shit cersei can be blamed, tommen's suicide really is not one of them. the only way to make that case is if he had somehow been portrayed as suicidal and both jaime and cersei were aware of this. how can you know someone is going to bail out through the window?
And two episodes ago Jamie was saying to Edmure, "fuck anyone who isn't us," while talking about Cercei.

Ratrat

And I feel he's totally going to blame her for Tommen's suicide whether its unwarranted or not, and I feel is completely warranted.
It was super apparent Marg was manipulating him and the Tyrells were trying to oust Cersei. Jaime might as well take the blame for Joff and Myrcella if thinks that way.

Killing Cersei because she ruthlessly preserved her own life against a real threat is just as out of character as the rape. There has to be more.

XAL

Yeah people are too fixated on other stuff. It's pretty straightforward and I can pretty much guarantee Jaime will kill her. To a lesser degree, but still pretty high level of certainty - she will at the very least threaten to do it again.

Ithil

I made a list of best and worst moments of the season. Tell me if you agree or disagree.

Worst Acting:

1) Dean Charles Chapman
2) Aiden Gillen
3) Faye Marsay
4) Kesha Castle-Hughes
5) Jessica Henwick
6) Rosabell Laurenti Sellers
7) Joseph Malwe
8) Lino Facioli
9) Pilou Asbæk
10) Joe Naufahu

It should be noted that these are in no order, and those actors in the "worst" category are not just characters I disliked, but performances that detracted from the experience of watching the show.

Similarly there are plenty of fine actors missing from the 'best" list, but I gave special attention to those who went above and beyond.

Also, every fucking chicken goes to Rory Mccann for confirming the hype next season possibly, and for Miguel Sapochnik for directing the best two episodes in the show's history.

Rosabell Sellers was in two short scenes all season and had literally no lines. Kind of unfair to judge acting from that. You can have the other two.

I saw nothing wrong with the Waif's acting, either, it was just a weird character.

CassSept

Why did the sparrows block everyone anyway? The rest of them weren't on trial.

I absolutely loved how well Jonathan Pryce portrayed High Sparrow this episode. He had been the highlight of the last few seasons as far as casting goes, but he was so good here. When everyone started rushing out of the sept his face had been overcome with so many emotions. Uncertainty, confusion, a hint of fear. Obviously sudden realization when wildfire started exploding. Right there he sold what the character was going through without uttering a single word. Terrific performance. RIP you foolish bastard.

- Deadline: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Ratings Hit Series High With Season 6 Finale
Game of Thrones’ Season 6 finale had revenge, hollowed monarchies, a lot of death, parentage revelations and new alliances packing its nearly 70-minute run on June 26. The David Benioff and D.B. Weiss written “The Winds of Winter” episode also had 8.89 million viewers – an all-time high for the HBO series.

With this season having sped ahead of the George R.R. Martin books on which the blockbuster series has been based, Sunday’s finale was up 16% over the war heavy “Battle of the Bastards” episode of June 19. The Miguel Sapochnik directed Season 6 ender was also up 10% from the David Nutter helmed Season 5 ‘Mother’s Mercy” finale of June 14, 2015. Previously holding the title of most watched GoT episode ever, the S5 finale was up against the very well watched Game 5 of last year’s NBA Finals.

Among the 18-49 demo, the S6 finale scored a 4.4 rating – also a GoT best ever result and beat the 4.0 that the show had pulled twice earlier this season. That demo rating on the ad-free premium cabler puts GoT up high in the scripted world, only behind the likes of The Walking Dead and Empire among the 18-49 this season.

Overall, GoT viewership across all platforms is up 15% over last year for HBO to hit 23.3 million this season before this weekend’s finale.

Branduil

She just murdered everyone he cared about, you'd have to be as dumb as Cersei is to not think he might become suicidal when his own mother murders his wife and the leaders of his faith.

Carn82

Worst Acting:
2) Aiden Gillen
9) Pilou Asbæk

It's weird because they both are fine actors; its just that their characters are changed a lot compared to the books; with Littlefinger becoming some creepy weird old guy who talks odd and Euron pretty much being a greedy evil asshole (for now). And Gillen keeps pulling that silly accent since his first scene. The producers are smart guys, this isnt just an acting or directing thing; these characters are 'completely different' for what its worth and are written and directed that way.

MoeDabs

She just murdered everyone he cared about, you'd have to be as dumb as Cersei is to not think he might become suicidal when his own mother murders his wife and the leaders of his faith.

Plus Tommens choices after the wildfire weren't too great. He either ignores his mother blowing up a portion of kings landing, or executes his own mother. The first choice basically condones her actions and makes himself look like a horrible person. And the second choice.. I don't think Tommen capable of executing his own mother.

Cersei did the exact thing that Jamie killed the Mad King for wanting to do.

His turn is already underway. Won't take a whole lot more to push him over the edge.

TRios Zen

Based upon viewership levels, clearly the show-runners are doing something right, but I do feel let down in the lack of accountability for some of the characters actions for the sake of moving things forward.

Cersei is summoned by the high-sparrow for a meeting and her undead bodyguard rips the head off of one of the faith militant - no big deal.

Sansa withholds information from Jon resulting in a large portion of his army being decimated - "sorry, should've told you".

Jon falls for Ramsey's gambit, putting his army in a indefensible position and would have lost the war if not for Littlefinger - King in the North!

The show can be incredible, when it lands its punches, I'm not hating on it, I just feel like in the rush to get things done or make things visually stunning, we lose some of the intricacies and nuance of the interactions between people and the ramifications those interactions have that really brought me into the stories in the first place.

So are we assuming TWOW to be massively different from season 6 or do we expect it to follow the same general story beats?
We've been warned to keep the book discussion to a minimum, but, uh, I think it's reasonably obvious that the plot in the North will be extremely different, the plot in Essos will be somewhat different, and the plot in King's Landing (at least regarding Cersei, Margaery, and the Sparrows) will be quite similar.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Cersei did the exact thing that Jamie killed the Mad King for wanting to do.

His turn is already underway. Won't take a whole lot more to push him over the edge.

not really. aerys wanted to blow up the entire city, cersei just blew up a building and a bit of the surrounding area. considering that earlier jaime was willing to kill most of these people, it would be pretty silly if the method of slaughter would be so objectionable to him. cersei probably avoided some loss of life, at least on the lannister side, that would have resulted from an actual assault on the faith.

and really, i have not really seen much evidence that jaime gives that much of a fuck about his kids. he certainly didn't grieve too long over myrcella and joffrey. there was like one bonding moment with myrcella before she died, and he never really did anything about the bad pussies and the rest responsible. he's going to fuck cersei up because of a suicide?

An interview with DD basically said other than the Hodor reveal and the beats taken from the last books, they had to make up almost everything.
Yep. They know the "endgame" trajectory for main beats of the story, but other than that the show is definitely going to be forging new paths to get them there.

“People are talking about whether the books are going to be spoiled – and it’s really not true,” Benioff tells EW.“So much of what we’re doing diverges from the books at this point. And while there are certain key elements that will be the same, we’re not going to talk so much about that – and I don’t think George is either. People are going to be very surprised when they read the books after the show. They’re quite divergent in so many respects for the remainder of the show.”

I love this.

Ratrat

Plus Tommens choices after the wildfire weren't too great. He either ignores his mother blowing up a portion of kings landing, or executes his own mother. The first choice basically condones her actions and makes himself look like a horrible person. And the second choice.. I don't think Tommen capable of executing his own mother.
But he was completely fine with the Faith executing her instead?

mantidor

It was super apparent Marg was manipulating him and the Tyrells were trying to oust Cersei. Jaime might as well take the blame for Joff and Myrcella if thinks that way.

Killing Cersei because she ruthlessly preserved her own life against a real threat is just as out of character as the rape. There has to be more.

Are we sure she would have been executed? The faith so far hasn't executed anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom