• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
mUIJI6O.png

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

Game of Thrones is a television series on HBO based on the bestselling A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Game of Thrones is an epic, high fantasy series about the fight for control of Westeros which was inspired by The War of the Roses in medieval Europe. Though it's been labeled as fantasy, Game of Thrones is more about the struggle for power and family dynamics than it is about typical fantasy tropes like magic and elves. As co-producer and writer David Benioff put it: “If you have to just pick one word to describe it, it’s the word ‘power’ and how it affects those who are pursuing it, and how those who already have it try to retain it, and how those who are caught in the crossfire between the two are mutilated in the process.” In addition to complex characters living in a well thought out and developed world, the story boasts plenty of violence, sex, and other adult oriented content.

The sixth season premieres Sunday, April 24th at 9PM on HBO. The 10 episode season 6 is the first to be largely beyond the plot of George RR Martin’s published books from A Song of Ice and Fire.

HBO’s Press Release on Season 6:
HBO said:
Following the shocking developments at the conclusion of season five, including Jon Snow’s bloody fate at the hands of Castle Black mutineers, Daenerys’ near-demise at the fighting pits of Meereen, and Cersei’s public humiliation in the streets of King’s Landing, survivors from all parts of Westeros and Essos regroup to press forward, inexorably, towards their uncertain individual fates. Familiar faces will forge new alliances to bolster their strategic chances at survival, while new characters will emerge to challenge the balance of power in the east, west, north and south.

oS54BD1.jpg

Cast
The cast of Season 6 can be found below as well as a full series cast page on HBO’s website. HBO’s cast page.

Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister), Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister), Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen), Aidan Gillen (Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish), Diana Rigg (Lady Olenna Tyrell)
0c8Jlyj.png
1PaqoOH.png
pwZEqmJ.png
OFPuGY2.png
9uP4YS4.png
7jRJaxX.png

Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark), Jonathan Pryce (The High Sparrow), Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Dean-Charles Chapman (Tommen Baratheon)
ZqUs4Td.png
l2NNsGD.png
lsygxoT.png
bySE46C.png
ZOEr3sH.png
yLxoEx1.png

Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Nathalie Emannuel (Missandei), Jerome Flynn (Bronn), Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont)
It7497C.png
hPnEjtU.png
FCtEAva.png
W2G3c3R.png
Jav1J3M.png
4bCsg0H.png

Isaac Hempstead-Wright (Bran Stark), Conleth Hill (Varys), Kristofer Hivju (Tormund Giantsbane), Michiel Huisman (Daario Naharis), Michael McElhatton (Roose Bolton), Hannah Murray (Gilly)
AFwziEL.png
QeaBDXk.png
BcsLYB1.png
Im84K06.png
7gf57Dz.png
9TNse72.jpg

Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow), Carice van Houten (Melisandre), Indira Varma (Ellaria Sand), Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen H’ghar)
17Nnvsh.png
dTM9nbW.png
vfCRrWD.png
JRPnrf9.png

Crew
The writing staff for season 6 includes David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Bryan Cogman, and Dave Hill. The directors of season 6 are Jeremy Podeswa, Daniel Sackheim, Jack Bender, Mark Mylod, and Miguel Sapochnik. See the Schedule section below for a breakdown of writers and directors by episode.

B7C7QrX.jpg

Season 6
Game of Thrones returns for its sixth season on April 24th, 2016. The season will once again consist of 10 episodes and they will air each Sunday at 9PM. Once the episodes start airing, I will house a permanent link to content roundups for each episode in this section.

Episodes
601: The Red Woman (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa)
602: Home (Written by Dave Hill, Directed by Jeremy Podeswa)
603: Oathbreaker (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Daniel Sackheim)
604: Book of the Stranger (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Daniel Sackheim)
605: The Door (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Jack Bender)
606: Blood of My Blood (Written Bryan Cogman, Directed by Jack Bender)
607: The Broken Man (Written Bryan Cogman, Directed by Mark Mylod)
608: No One (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Mark Mylod)
609: Battle of the Bastards (Directed by Miguel Sapochnik)
610: The Winds of Winter (Directed by Miguel Sapochnik)

hDI7fVC.jpg

Trailers & Promos

Clips

Promo Images

3YZsWIz.jpg

Links

hgJ45.jpg

There are no rules!

Kidding of course, there are a couple rules. Any content from books beyond A Dance with Dragons needs to be appropriately spoiler-tagged. Please use the tag TWOW or ADOS so everyone is on the same page. Also, please spoiler-tag any TV adaption news for upcoming episodes. Although everyone here has read the books, but not everyone wants the show spoiled.

MOD ABUSE
Cornballer said:
Hi folks, please don't post any leaks or information about it in the thread. If that's something you're interested discussing, there are sites other than GAF where you can get into that. Also, please don't beg for links. Thank you.

YMht45j.jpg

• The season starts on April 24th at 9PM, and will continue each Sunday after for 10 episodes.
  • Special thanks to 20 good men (and Trasher for the banner)
  • Apologies for what you're about to see

Note: Any leak discussion is prohibited in the thread and bannable. This includes linking to sources, vague hints, posting spoilers outright, etc... Find somewhere else on the internet to have this conversation if it appeals to you.

"to be clear, i wouldn't be surprised if jaime turns against cersei because of this. i just think it would be awful storytelling"

Quite the opposite. It's the natural progression for what's been going on between them. I'm looking forward to Jamie's fallout with her, and what may come from that.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Welp, new thread, new sub.
Good waiting, everyone.

Moff

Unlike after last season, I am super pumped for the next one.
And who knows, we may even get TWOW in this off season.
Cruel joke, I know.

Ishan

I wonder if well get more clarity of Jon and lyanna .. Seems pointless to keep dragging that out with the whispers etc .

Unlike after last season, I am super pumped for the next one.
And who knows, we may even get TWOW in this off season.
Cruel joke, I know.
I'm re-reading all of the books (started last night), in hopes that it will summon the Winds.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
RIP, so many characters in the OP. Tommen -> tommen.gif

As others mentioned in the last thread, this bears repeating:
Varys is on that ship in the finale because he was brought there by the Dornish ships you can see in the fleet.

Ratrat

"to be clear, i wouldn't be surprised if jaime turns against cersei because of this. i just think it would be awful storytelling"

Quite the opposite. It's the natural progression for what's been going on between them. I'm looking forward to Jamie's fallout with her, and what may come from that.
Jaime rushes back to Kings Landing to save Cersei, the only person that matters to him in the world. But because she saved herself he's going to kill her. Makes total sense. Remember what he did to her during Joffrey's funeral, how he never bonded with Myrcella untill seconds before her death? Yeah, he doesn't give a crap about Tommen, The Faith or the Tyrells.

Jaime rushes back to Kings Landing to save Cersei, the only person that matters to him in the world. But because she saved herself he's going to kill her. Makes total sense. Remember what he did to her during Joffrey's funeral, how he never bonded with Myrcella untill seconds before he death? He doesn't give a crap about Tommen, The Faith or the Tyrells.
She carried out what he had killed a previous king for simply considering doing.

Makes total sense. He may or may not strike her down, but at the very least, they are on very rocky ground right now.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Uh, plenty of Lannisters died, including her uncle Kevan and her son. You can call it a "suicide", but it was totally preventable if Cersei hadn't just abandoned him in his grief to go torture a nun. That's Lannister blood on her hands, as well as dozens of innocents in and around the sept. Jaime talks a big game sometimes, but he's not a psychopath.

jaime has killed a lannister barehanded himself, so i see no good reason why kevan or lancel would be a deal breaker (both of whom were clearly hostile to cersei). jaime also has no way of knowing about the nun torture, unless cersei is silly enough to start bragging about it.

but if cersei is to blame for tommen's death, then jaime is to blame for joffrey's and myrcella's.

Before I jump out, how much book stuff is left that could be considered spoilery for show only people?
There's a lot of book threads or events that they've skipped over in the show so far, but they could still be used. Some of the things that happened in season 6 were from earlier novels, so it's hard to say.

Ratrat

She carried out what he had killed a previous king for simply considering doing.

Makes total sense.
Leveling an entire city out of spite and forcing you to fight your own family
vs
Leveling a building mostly full of your enemies to save Cersei

nope.

zsynqx

There's a lot of book threads or events that they've skipped over in the show so far, but they could still be used. Some of the things that happened in season 6 were from earlier novels, so it's hard to say.

Okay thanks, probably best to still avoid this thread then.

Leveling an entire city out of spite and forcing you to fight your own family
vs
Leveling a building mostly full of your enemies to save Cersei

nope.

Enemies, innocents, and Lannisters.

It's definitely something that is quite clearly bothering him. His face says it all.

blackjaw

Just looking at the OP photos and remembered how bad Brans haircut was; like a mushroom mullet.

Thank the seven gods for Hodor's barber skills....oh no

#returnofthemushroommullet

John Dunbar

correct about everything

It's definitely something that is quite clearly bothering him. His face says it all.

something has been bothering him ever since his hand get chopped off, but so far he has always gone back to cersei. drop him some knowledge about cersei's affairs (did she have more than the one with lancel on the show?) and that might turn him. killing people obviously has never been that much of a bother to him.

Before I jump out, how much book stuff is left that could be considered spoilery for show only people?

Not a whole lot really. Most of it would be speculation based on stuff the book has hinted at and the show hasn't. But that might not even apply to the adaptation.

Ratrat

good answer:
jaime has killed a lannister barehanded himself, so i see no good reason why kevan or lancel would be a deal breaker (both of whom were clearly hostile to cersei). jaime also has no way of knowing about the nun torture, unless cersei is silly enough to start bragging about it.

but if cersei is to blame for tommen's death, then jaime is to blame for joffrey's and myrcella's.

Its a really weak motive. Jaime is not going to turn against her because some 'innocent' nobles who came to gawk at her trial were killed along the way.

It's not a weak motive whatsoever.

Posting this again since it's pretty important regarding Jamie's trajectory:

Things Nikolaj has said regarding the finale:

“I think basically he’s in shock,” he continued. “So many things are going through his head — you look down and you see your sister telling the rest of the world to go to hell."

“The woman you love has turned into this seemingly mad woman. If you were a couples counsellor you would tell him to maybe reconsider this relationship.”

--

Speaking about whether Jaime could forgive Cersei, he said: “If he can forgive her for this, I think he can forgive her for everything. She was responsible for genocide, she forced their last child to commit suicide."

--

"He once said, 'The things I do for love,' and it was all about protecting his sister and also the kids," said Nikolaj, "Now they're all gone."

"We won't find out until next season how Jamie reacts to that... The cruel irony is that he killed the Mad King in order to save King's Landing and he comes back to find out his sister pulled the trigger instead."

I'm re-reading all of the books (started last night), in hopes that it will summon the Winds.
I'm waiting for a Winds release date or completion update. lol...

Seems like Winds is going to cover more ground than S6. Granted a lot of stuff will be very different but I'd expect D&D to pick and choose various events from Winds and include them in S7. Sam getting slow walked to the Citadel seemed deliberate to me. I'd imagine that Euron will be heavily involved in that story during Winds, based on the Damphair sample chapter.

Cersei's trial is imminent, and assuming she avoids it as in the show we'll actually see the aftermath. Which will be rather different I'd imagine, without Aegon in the show.

Martin has also said Winds will take us farther north than ever before, which wasn't the case on the show.

Season 6 was fantastic. HBO has definitely gone for some 'TV' stuff. S1 ends with Tyrion being named Hand of the King, and Robb King in the North. S6 ended with a near identical scene for Jon and Tyrion being named Hand of the Queen. I wonder how Martins version will differ (although I'm sure those two events still happen).

We also seem headed for Jaime redeeming(?) himself by killing the mad Queen after dishonoring himself by killing the mad King.

Although I hope the final two seasons don't just go the totally predictable route.

Can't wait!

Mist

Banned
RIP, so many characters in the OP. Tommen -> tommen.gif

As others mentioned in the last thread, this bears repeating:
Varys is on that ship in the finale because he was brought there by the Dornish ships you can see in the fleet.

I still think it's pretty stupid that all those Martell and Tyrell ships sailed to Meereen, only to turn their ships 180 degrees so they could sail back again.

I think putting the "I would kill anyone for Cersei" speech (w/Edmure) in this season was a pretty huge misstep.

I get the feeling they're going for a tragic end (w/Jaime possibly killing Cersei, as has been predicted by everyone) but yeah, there is some inconsistency there in how his feelings and dedication are portrayed. What did he tell Edmure? That he'd kill anyone who gets in the way of their love or something like that?

What a completely unnecessary moment.

I'm waiting for a Winds release date or completion update. lol...

Seems like Winds is going to cover more ground than S6. Granted a lot of stuff will be very different but I'd expect D&D to pick and choose various events from Winds and include them in S7. Sam getting slow walked to the Citadel seemed deliberate to me. I'd imagine that Euron will be heavily involved in that story during Winds, based on the Damphair sample chapter.

Cersei's trial is imminent, and assuming she avoids it as in the show we'll actually see the aftermath. Which will be rather different I'd imagine, without Aegon in the show.

Martin has also said Winds will take us farther north than ever before, which wasn't the case on the show.
I was originally going to wait for a release date... But the withdrawal is real haha. It'll take me a while anyway, between video games and other summer weather distractions.

Carn82

While I won't deny that the show isn't very good at telling time... It's not plot holes, it just events aren't all happening at the same time. They wanted to avoid things like: "Arya is on a boat for a couple of episodes."

hehe to be fair, the article is pretty tongue-in-cheek, but yeah.

Branduil

Joffrey and Myrcella were killed by poison, they didn't kill themselves because of Jaime murdering everyone they cared about. It's not really comparable.

In any case all the people repeatedly calling Jaime an evil SOB kingslayer in the last few episodes has clearly touched a nerve and despite his protests he definitely doesn't like being viewed that way. He's not going to be happy with what Cersei has done.

jett

D-Member
It's amazing that the No Books thread is up by 5000+ posts.

You know, I really think a merged thread should be in consideration. The books really don't matter anymore. And Duckroll doesn't want us talking about them anymore so really, what's the point here. :p

Kuroyume

Banned
Hope next season is the last season, and they don't try instead to split 15 episodes into two seasons. And fuck George for still not having that book out. Ridiculous. I remember when people were hopeful it would come out before the premier of season 6.

Shahadan

I think putting the "I would kill anyone for Cersei" speech (w/Edmure) in this season was a pretty huge misstep.

I get the feeling they're going for a tragic end (w/Jaime possibly killing Cersei, as has been predicted by everyone) but yeah, there is some inconsistency there in how his feelings and dedication are portrayed. What did he tell Edmure? That he'd kill anyone who gets in the way of their love or something like that?

What a completely unnecessary moment.

That's not "unnecessary" that's the fucking point :lol:

Forkball

Taking bets. How likely are these events?

Dragon horn
Lady Stoneheart
Lava arm
Ice dragon

I mean right now it 100% looks like "Dany and Jon team up to defeat the white walkers and rule Westeros. The end." How are you going to stretch that for 14 more episodes? I want to see some wrenches thrown in gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom