• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Tiktaalik

To be fair, I think a lot of this lore isn't really laid out in the books in as interesting a way as they are here. Some of it is bits and pieces of casual dialogue across all the books pieced together by fans, and the bulk is from the linear history of Westeros as written in The World of Ice and Fire. If you're mainly interested in the backstory and lore stuff, you might want to grab that book instead. It's really nice.

Or read the Princess and the Queen, which is a novella published in the anthology Dangerous Women.

It's the story of the Dance of the Dragons, an early Targaryen civil war.

It is written as if it was a history written by a maester, and it's pretty great.

duckroll

i'm a pretty hardcore fan of the show, so i'll probably read the World too. when you say "here" do you mean here on GAF or here in the World book?

edit: sorry for double post

I mean the way they are being described in this discussion currently. All the intrigue regarding the Blackfyres are REALLY interesting for example, but if you read the series of books it isn't even a blip on the radar. In The World of Ice and Fire though, it's an entire chapter of Targ history on its own. So it's about managing expectations. The Blackfyre thing isn't remotely a major plot point in the books proper (some say "yet" but since there won't be any new books coming out.... :p).

jfkgoblue

I mean the way they are being described in this discussion currently. All the intrigue regarding the Blackfyres are REALLY interesting for example, but if you read the series of books it isn't even a blip on the radar. In The World of Ice and Fire though, it's an entire chapter of Targ history on its own. So it's about managing expectations. The Blackfyre thing isn't remotely a major plot point in the books proper (some say "yet" but since there won't be any new books coming out.... :p).

GRRM was so proud of the Blackfyre portion that most believe Aegon is the result of him trying to work it into ASOIAF proper.

Slater

Banned
The real tragedy is WoW means no more Dunk and Egg, like ever. :(

I wanna read about Egg meeting Betha and all the other interesting shit that happened in his life wayyyy more then retreads of stuff I get from the show again.

Plus Maeker is basically a better not kid burning version of Stannis

duckroll

GRRM was so proud of the Blackfyre portion that most believe Aegon is the result of him trying to work it into ASOIAF proper.

And if he never gets to follow up on it because WoW isn't coming out, at least fans have the Targ history book he's ALSO WRITING *cough cough* to look forward to! :p

Forkball

s2b4J9U.jpg

mantidor

Qyburn is indeed a poison-happy character and I could completely see him trying to poison a dragon.

But he knows nothing about dragon physiology, really. The chances of making a poison that could fatally affect a species that you have literally zero chance to study as living creatures is almost zero. They have no existing analogue. That's why I think dragon poison would be dumb at this point.

Now, if he somehow got to study the greatspear that hit Drogon, I could see him cooking something up.

And yeah, yeah, it's fantasy. But there is a difference between realism and verisimilitude. I am fine with the former being mangled, but not so much the latter.

Qyburn is not poison happy, he has poisoned zero people so far.

He is Cersei's deus ex mad scientist who somehow manages to find out all she needs to stay in power and be evil: how to revive the Mountain, copious amounts of wildfire, how to kill a dragon, what exact poison was used on Myrcella, etc, etc.

Gigglepoo

I disagree. His character got better because he was finally acknowledged for his tactical skill and was given a position of power not because of his name, but because of his merits.

Which tactical decision was the best:
A) Parenting with the Essos slavers
B) Deciding not to attack King's Landing
C) Laying siege to King's Landing so commoners starve
D) Sailing past Dorne and then circling back to pick up soldiers
E) Sending the Unsullied to take Casterly Rock even though there's nothing to gain

Dude has been a horrendous tactician. Dany even pointed it out this episode.

A) Parenting with the Essos slavers
B) Deciding not to attack King's Landing
D) Sailing past Dorne and then circling back to pick up soldiers
E) Sending the Unsullied to take Casterly Rock even though there's nothing to gain

He's trying his best okay

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Tyrion: "We won't attack the Red Keep where only some servants and a shit tonne of guards and those in the royal court will be because we don't want to kill innocent people so we'll just blockade the entire city and hurt the commoners instead. Oh yeah, we'll attack Casterly Rock and kill a bunch of people."

Wouldn't Casterly Rock have a bunch of commoners who would also get killed? Nope, I guess only soldiers run that place. :lol

Patriots7

I believe killing Ned's brother and father is what mainly signalled the start of the war. Lyanna running off made them go south.

If the show flashes back to Lyanna again i hope for a confirmation that Benjen helped her flee with Rhaegar.
Was it even that?

I thought that the Mad King then wanted the heads of Ned and Robert, was what triggered the Starks, Baratheons and Arryns declaring rebellion.

Daeron taking Dorne would be awesome. Maybe even redeem "bad pussy"

Was it even that?

I thought that the Mad King then wanted the heads of Ned and Robert, was what triggered the Starks, Baratheons and Arryns declaring rebellion.

Lyanna ran off. Brandon, who was on his way to Riverrun to marry Cat, found out and high tailed it to KL. He talked shit about Rhaegar, Aerys took offense, captured him, and then called Rickard down to answer for his son.

After they died, Jon Arryn refused to give up Ned and Robert, who were also marked for death, and instead went to war. Robert I think would have rebelled anyway cause of Lyanna tho, and Ned would have followed for sure.

Gigglepoo

This guy's videos are the best.

Yup! He has crazy theories but they're all meticulously sourced. I subscribe to a few ASoIaF podcasts and YouTube channels but Preston Jacobs is easily my favorite.

I swear he thinks about some of the story details deeper than even Martin does.

"Is game of thrones post apocalyptic"

https://youtu.be/aTUbAK1DsOc

Okay what have I just watched!!!

A really far-fetched theory video that seemed to work backwards from the premise of "what if..." rather than examine textual evidence and drawn a conclusion from that.

It's a fantasy story. It's a fun little theory but I don't think it adds anything of value to our understanding of the themes of Martin's work.

If anyone wants to listen to good close-readings of ASOIAF I recommend the Boiled Leather Audio Hour podcast.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yup! He has crazy theories but they're all meticulously sourced. I subscribe to a few ASoIaF podcasts and YouTube channels but Preston Jacobs is easily my favorite.

What's your favorite?

Isn't this the guy who's pretty notorious for just copying theories from Reddit?

Alt Shift X is the best GOT/ASOIAF videos on the net, IMHO.

Was it even that?

Come to think of it, why did Benjen join the night's watch?

JakeD

I remember reading a theory that benjen knew about and supported lyanna and rhaegar's affair/Jon and he bounced to the wall to either help keep the secret or avoid the ramifications of it. Don't really remember the evidence other than certain flashbacks emphasizing a closeness between them

My fanfic prediction is that Dany's dragons will mirror the fates of the men they are named after. Khal Drogo died of a single wound to the shoulder (something that has happened to Drogon), Rhaegar died in battle, and Viserys was killed by Khal Drogo. This season seems to be deconstructing Dany’s support systems and stripping away allies. What better way to do so than removing the one thing about her that has brought her to power.
An even more farfetched prediction is Dany will become an antagonist. Her judgment in rule can sometimes have a Mad King tone to them. Everyone is shipping Her and Jon as an example of Fire and Ice; but what if she, in her increasingly need to get what she wants, joins the Night King. It be an example of Fire & Ice, the King would have found a Queen, and her vision of walking around the a destroyed Red Keep’s throne room in snowfall would come to fruition.

This all has a zero chance of happening, but I like it.

jfkgoblue

There is just so much untapped lore in this series that I hope the spinoff series takes us somewhere completely new. Asshai and the shadow lands are my hope, but I feel like it wouldn't resonate with the general public like GOT did so I doubt HBO goes there.

Turin

Banned
Benjen was the Stark in Winterfell during Robert's Rebellion. He joined the Nights Watch some time after Ned returned with Jon.

I suppose it's not that far fetched. I remember a passage about Benjen teasing Lyanna for liking Rheagar or something like that.

Snake

It's been a while since I've read the books, but I thought the implication was that Benjen was there with Lyanna during the Tourney at Harrenhal, and that somewhere along the way he aided in the events that led to Lyanna and Rhaegar getting together (like encouraging her to fight as the Knight of the Laughing Tree or something similar). So him joining the Night's Watch would be for his guilt over everything that came of that union.

jett

D-Member
I doubt Jaime will end up Azor Ahai. It would be a really silly twist counter to everything that has been building up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they asked Kit Harrington to take that pose.

After this season, I would not be even vaguely surprised to learn that Emilia Clarke gets random people bending the knee to her.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My fanfic prediction is that Dany's dragons will mirror the fates of the men they are named after. Khal Drogo died of a single wound to the shoulder (something that has happened to Drogon), Rhaegar died in battle, and Viserys was killed by Khal Drogo. This season seems to be deconstructing Dany’s support systems and stripping away allies. What better way to do so than removing the one thing about her that has brought her to power.
An even more farfetched prediction is Dany will become an antagonist. Her judgment in rule can sometimes have a Mad King tone to them. Everyone is shipping Her and Jon as an example of Fire and Ice; but what if she, in her increasingly need to get what she wants, joins the Night King. It be an example of Fire & Ice, the King would have found a Queen, and her vision of walking around the a destroyed Red Keep’s throne room in snowfall would come to fruition.

This all has a zero chance of happening, but I like it.
Dany is supposed to be an Antagonist...except they whitewashed her and cut elements of the story to get to her. If Cersei wasn't an evil crazy lady, Dany would be more antagonistic.

jfkgoblue

Dany is supposed to be an Antagonist...except they whitewashed her and cut elements of the story to get to her. If Cersei wasn't an evil crazy lady, Dany would be more antagonistic.
I would call her more of an anti-hero than full on antagonist, but you aren't entirely wrong. I once dared to voice this in the show only thread, and holy shit the did I get shat on.

Faddy

Banned

Yeah when she is getting sold as a child bride to the feared warlord in her opening chapter/episode I thought "yeah can't wait to root against this girl". Freeing slaves, "can't she just talk this stuff out without a violent revolution". Just classic villainy all round.

Also remember in the show when she had her dragons burn that Mereenese Noble to death, total whitewash...

Gigglepoo

Not sure a feminist like Martin would have his main female character be a villain. But I do think she'll be viewed as a villain by the Westerosi when she arrives.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I would call her more of an anti-hero than full on antagonist, but you aren't entirely wrong. I once dared to voice this in the show only thread, and holy shit the did I get shat on.
Comes with Dragons, Warriors who don't fear death, Dothraki (known for the raping and brutality), Iron Islanders (known for their pillaging) and she the hero!? (Show of course adds Tyrells and Dorne to try and balance it out/they cut out Aegon so who else do they side with!?)

Yeah when she is getting sold as a child bride to the feared warlord in her opening chapter/episode I thought "yeah can't wait to root against this girl". Freeing slaves, "can't she just talk this stuff out without a violent revolution". Just classic villainy all round.

Also remember in the show when she had her dragons burn that Mereenese Noble to death, total whitewash...
That's not how this works...her character is a deconstruction of the Chosen One. She is given a sad background and mostly seems like a good person, but doesn't always make the best decisions (Killing 163 Noblemen...also the Nobleman she burned was from Astapor). Her arc in a Dance with Dragons is choosing between peace and compromise (the hard way) or through fire and blood (the easy way). Now she mostly keeps the peace, however by the end of ADWD, she seems to choose Fire and Blood.

Top Bottom