• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Sorry if this has been answered already but why did The Hound not like the idea of that house?

Is there backstory there that I'm missing/forgotten?

if you remember back in season 4, that was the house where a man and his daughter sheltered him & arya. the man wanted the Hound to work for him for a little while and promised to pay silver, the next morning he hit the man, took the silver and walked away. Hound says they'll both be dead by winter and Arya calls him the worst shit in the 7 kingdoms.

edit: beaten again.

how do we know he won't try?

Well, he may well try. But it would have been a hell of a lot easier to take when it was empty.

I think there's decent enough reasoning for it not happening, though. He already had to sail the long way around Westeros to get to KL, and just arrived there in S7E1.

Pretty amazing feat for him to build 1,000 ships and sail them around an entire continent in the span of a couple episodes. Littlefinger would be jealous.

Gigglepoo

how do we know he won't try?

It would have been easier when it was empty, no? And the sea is so narrow there it'd be nuts if he somehow snuck past Dany while she was there with her massive army.

Well, he may well try. But it would have been a hell of a lot easier to take when it was empty.

I think there's decent enough reasoning for it not happening, though. He already had to sail the long way around Westeros to get to KL, and just arrived there in S7E1.

He went right past Dragonstone to get to King's Landing

It would have been easier when it was empty, no? And the sea is so narrow there it'd be nuts if he somehow snuck past Dany while she was there with her massive army.

perhaps he runs (or swims) into his niece & nephew's fleet while he's on his way over there? (if he does plan to take Dany that is)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sorry if this has been answered already but why did The Hound not like the idea of that house?

Is there backstory there that I'm missing/forgotten?

yes, as shown in the "Previously on" montage before the show starts.

Back in Season 4, when Arya and the Hound were doing their journey from the Twins to the Eyrie (Aunt Lysa), they came across a farmer and his daughter, who brought them into their home and fed them. They talked about the recent events (Red Wedding) and the harshness of things. The Farmer asked The Hound if he could stay around for awhile, as a bodyguard against any bandits that might raid them (he'd pay him a wage). Instead, The Hound just beat up the farmer and took his silver. Arya demanded to know why he'd do such a thing, and the Hounds reply was "the farmer was weak and he'd be dead by Winter, and his bag of silver would be wasted on a dead man."

As such, the Farmer had no more money, no help, and was probably starving. Beric's theory was probably correct.

Violater

It wasn’t as much that he was there, other celebs have made cameos without drawing this much attention to themselves. I mean his face was fully lit and in shot on almost every single second of that scene. It was just too much

Well, that's not his fault is it? Blame the directors.
There are going to be a lot of missteps, so Sheeran is not even a blip on the map imo.
I think the scene served its purpose, to humanize the soldiers. Something we have never seen out of the Lannister army which have always come off as mindless clones.

Well, that's not his fault is it? Blame the directors.
There are going to be a lot of missteps, so Sheeran is not even a blip on the map imo.
I think the scene served its purpose, to humanize the soldiers. Something we have never seen out of the Lannister army which have always come off as mindless clones.

I hope Arya didn't kill them offscreen. I'd like to think she's become Rick Grimes, but not the Governor

Gigglepoo

perhaps he runs (or swims) into his niece & nephew's fleet while he's on his way over there? (if he does plan to take Dany that is)

So he took his fleet past an empty castle, Dany comes in immediately afterwards to get Dragonstone, and then he bumps into her army on the way out? Seems more likely D&D were hoping people didn't know Westeros geography even though every show starts with a flyby of the kingdom.

So he took his fleet past an empty castle, Dany comes in immediately afterwards to get Dragonstone, and then he bumps into her army on the way out? Seems more likely D&D were hoping people didn't know Westeros geography even though every show starts with a flyby of the kingdom.
before I respond to this post I have to first ask, is it okay to discuss what was seen in the 20 second preview video on Youtube for next week's episode?

before I respond to this post I have to first ask, is it okay to discuss what was seen in the 20 second preview video on Youtube for next week's episode?

AFAIK- anything short of leaked info is fine to discuss in this thread. Official trailers/previews should be fair game.

The Hound continues to be the best character. Man I was glad he came back despite the ridiculousness of him surviving his wounds.

Well, if Arya can get her stomach sliced open from left to right plus multiple stabs to the abdomen and be up and running around town a couple days later, pretty much everything short of decapitation should be fair game.

No joke, when Arya/Frey pulled back her mask, I half expected to see 2000-era Tom Cruise grinning back at me and the Mission Impossible theme starting up.
You weren't the only one.

8AqyrvV.gif

Scenes from the 20 second preview for episode 2:
Yara Greyjoy arrives at Dragonstone, telling Dany & their allies that they should strike King's Landing now. So my theory is (if Euron is going after Dany), on Theon & Yara's way to King's Landing,
Euron finds them at sea and attacks them on his way there.
AFAIK- anything short of leaked info is fine to discuss in this thread. Official trailers/previews should be fair game.
Okay cool, I'll post with the tags.
Preview discussion is fine provided it is in spoiler tags. Please read the OP if you need additional information.
Thank you

What if he indeed died but was brought back by R'hllor? I mean, he did see stuff in the flames. :p
Stannis claimed to see things in the flames and so did Thoros, neither of whom were resurrected. So I don't think dying is a prerequisite for seeing stuff in the flames.

jfkgoblue

I've been thinking a lot about Jon being Rgaegar's true heir falls into this story, and I now have a theory.

I think Jon will head south to gather people for the upcoming fight against the Night King. He will then find out about his true parentage and use that to claim the Iron Throne so he can force the armies of the world to meet the threat.

In this scenario I think it makes show Jon Snow absorb Aegon's role in the books to be a threat to Dany's claim to the Iron Throne. He will have a lot of Targ loyalists coming to him instead of Dany, just like Aegon takes on the in the books. I know people are fantasizing about Jon riding dragons with Dany, but I think that she will try to marry him, but he will decline.

I've been thinking a lot about Jon being Rgaegar's true heir falls into this story, and I now have a theory.

I think Jon will head south to gather people for the upcoming fight against the Night King. He will then find out about his true parentage as use that to claim the Iron Throne so he can force the armies of the world to meet the threat.

In this scenario I think it makes show Jon Snow absorb Aegon's role in the books to be a threat to Dany's claim to the Iron Throne. He will have a lot of Targ loyalists coming to him instead of Dany, just like Aegon takes on the in the books. I know people are fantasizing about Jon riding dragons with Dany, but I think that she will try to marry him, but he will decline.

I hope he does not decline. Jon x Dany <3

Just so you know you are cheering for incest even if that is the Targaryan way :p
i do know sir, and i have had this (awkward) discussion with gaffers before

firstly in the country of westeros, incest is deemed acceptable as long as it's not direct blood relatives. ned stark's parents were cousins, sansa was warm to the idea of marrying robin, tywin also married his cousin. aemon even unknowingly hinted that jon & dany need each other ("a targaryen, alone in the world...it's a terrible thing.")

as long as it's not direct, brother/sister like jaime cersei, or father/daughter like craster and gilly, it's not a taboo. not only that but being that this show is based on medieval europe, i'm sure familial and incestuous marriages are realistic

and to add a real world perspective to this, I do know people whose parents are cousins, they're respectable, social people. Personally I'm not into that for myself, but who am I/we to judge?
Don't ruin my "The Hound is Azor Ahai" fanfic.

as valonqar was mentioned earlier in this thread, doesn't GRRM care little for prophecies?

edit: i think i misunderstood your post :\

jfkgoblue

i do know sir, and i have had this (awkward) discussion with gaffers before

firstly in the country of westeros, incest is deemed acceptable as long as it's not direct blood relatives. ned stark's parents were cousins, sansa was warm to the idea of marrying robin, tywin also married his cousin. aemon even unknowingly hinted that jon & dany need each other ("a targaryen, alone in the world...it's a terrible thing.")

as long as it's not direct, brother/sister like jaime cersei, or father/daughter like craster and gilly, it's not a taboo. not only that but being that this show is based on medieval europe, i'm sure familial and incestuous marriages are realistic

and to add a real world perspective to this, I do know people whose parents are cousins, they're respectable, social people. Personally I'm not into that for myself, but who am I/we to judge?

as valonqar was mentioned earlier in this thread, doesn't GRRM care little for prophecies?
Aunt/nephew is still taboo, even if first cousins aren't. But my comment was more tongue in cheek. No incest is taboo for Targs anyway.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
great episode.

Did I see it right that Sam discovered a mountain of dragonglass right below where dragon lady is now? So Johns just gonna go directly there right?

Aunt/nephew is still taboo, even if first cousins aren't. But my comment was more tongue in cheek. No incest is taboo for Targs anyway.

aunt/nephew is the same distance and cousins though. and if i'm not mistaken i think there was a stark uncle/niece arranged marriage that took place not too long ago in the asoiaf timeline.

Aikidoka

googling what the hell "Azor Ahai" is and the first result is an article "Proof that Ed Sheeran is Azor Ahai". Would be hilarious seeing all the reactions based on the meltdowns from that small cameo.

jfkgoblue

aunt/nephew is the same distance and cousins though. and if i'm not mistaken i think there was a stark uncle/niece arranged marriage that took place not too long ago in the asoiaf timeline.
It's not the same distance though. Brother sister is 100% same genetic make up, parent/child is 50%, same for aunt/nephew. Cousins are 25%.

It's not the same distance though. Brother sister is 100% same genetic make up, parent/child is 50%, same for aunt/nephew. Cousins are 25%.
oh wait, you're right, i never thought that before.

perhaps then if they do get together, being the last 2 targaryens, they'll also be the last 2 to commit incest? i had to look again but it seems like there was a stark by the name of Jonnel who married his niece. so an aunt/nephew marriage probably wouldn't be that bad for Jon & Dany in the societal way.

jfkgoblue

oh wait, you're right, i never thought that before.

perhaps then if they do get together, being the last 2 targaryens, they'll also be the last 2 to commit incest? i had to look again but it seems like there was a stark by the name of Jonnel who married his niece. so an aunt/nephew marriage probably wouldn't be that bad for Jon & Dany in the societal way.
Their Targs, so society won't care.

Moff

my initial thought was tyrion, but I guess it's going to be the horn. he has it in the books and there needs to be an element in play to disable danys unstoppable dragon power. there would be no tension otherwise.

but as I wrote already earlier, they are probably going to call it the "murder horn" in the show

Brakke

Banned
Dany being unstoppable doesn't mean there's no tension. There's still questions around whether the decisions she makes are good.

Dany being unstoppable doesn't mean there's no tension. There's still questions around whether the decisions she makes are good.

Plus, there's really no such thing as unstoppable in the show world with D&D at the helm. Euron +20 good men could wreck Dany's entire military complex. The precedent's already been set. No magic dragon horns required.

Ok you convinced me, I can see you guys are already looking forward to Dracarys moment #9451

giphy.gif

Sucks the show screwed up the sand snakes and greyjoys so badly.

I wonder what they have planned for Euron. Hope he's not a jobber.
yeah, fuck the sandsnakes. elaria kills her late lover's brother, then has the other sandsnakes kill her cousin, then kill an innocent girl because she shares blood with her enemies. would oberyn have WANTED any of that to happen? i don't fucking think so. she's no better than that karstark who killed those lannister boys.

fantomena

Do you guys think we'll se Rheagar this season? I think so. I will assume in the last episode cause the ToJ scene happened in the last episode in s6. I think we will also hear everything Lyanna whispered to Ned.

Zolo

yeah, fuck the sandsnakes. elaria kills her late lover's brother, then has the other sandsnakes kill her cousin, then kill an innocent girl because she shares blood with her enemies. would oberyn have WANTED any of that to happen? i don't fucking think so. she's no better than that karstark who killed those lannister boys.

It feels the show revels too much in revenge instead of it being a dark path that can lead to destruction.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I remember being so glad they nailed Oberyn and couldn't wait to see how they would handle Dorne, since it's one of my favorite regions (I have a thing for the outsiders like the Martells and Greyjoys). One season later: BAD PUSSY YO. I think that'll end up being my biggest disappointment of the show.

Zolo

I remember being so glad they nailed Oberyn and couldn't wait to see how they would handle Dorne, since it's one of my favorite regions (I have a thing for the outsiders like the Martells and Greyjoys). One season later: BAD PUSSY YO. I think that'll end up being my biggest disappointment of the show.

"Oberyn wanted vengeance for Elia. Now the three of you want vengeance for him. I have four daughters, I remind you. Your sisters. My Elia is fourteen, almost a woman. Obella is twelve, on the brink of maidenhood. They worship you, as Dorea and Loreza worship them. If you should die, must El and Obella seek vengeance for you, then Dorea and Loree for them? Is that how it goes, round and round forever? I ask again, where does it end? I saw your father die. Here is his killer. Can I take a skull to bed with me, to give me comfort in the night? Will it make me laugh, write me songs, care for me when I am old and sick?"
-Ellaria Sand

Top Bottom