• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Speevy

Banned
Preview talk

Someone's going to tell Yara to shut the fuck up and not do the most obvious thing, which is killing Cersei. Doesn't everyone understand that if you kill Cersei, the war is over?

Gnome

Preview talk

Someone's going to tell Yara to shut the fuck up and not do the most obvious thing, which is killing Cersei. Doesn't everyone understand that if you kill Cersei, the war is over?

"You can't kill Cersei, she's an end boss! It's only the second episode!"

Burt

Well book Jaime would have never murdered his cousin just to get out like that. You are right though, it was better before he returned to King's Landing, like why the fuck is show Jaime still pining after Cersei.

Eh maybe, but he is the sort of guy to push an innocent child out of a window to conceal his incestuous treasonous affair, book or show. Killing his cousin wasn't great, but it wasn't egregious either.

Preview talk

I dunno if Yara's gonna get that far, considering that's Ellaria giving her that kiss in the preview. We know how that shit goes. I'm hoping Yara's smarter than that shit and punches her in the forehead, but I wouldn't bet on it. Hard to say whether she lives or dies next episode, but I think they're gonna do a lot of character disposal this season considering the limited time the show has left.

c0de

Even worse: why would you send your queen as the first person in to do recon? A squatting bandit could've ended Dany's campaign from the get go.

Try to kill a woman with three dragons that already flew to the island before her "mother" gets to the island. Good luck.

CloudWolf

Oh man, I was watching with friends and we couldn't handle how incredibly stupid that Ed Sheeran scene was. Dude was literally in every shot. Arya's speaking? Make sure Ed Sheeran's face is out of focus in the front of the shot. Someone else is speaking? Make sure Ed Sheeran's back or side is also in the shot somehow. I mean, it's not the first musical celebrity cameo in the GoT cast, but this is the first time it's been so blatant about it.

I do like that Jaime mentioned that destroying the bond with the Tyrells was a mistake considering that's where all their supplies come from. Of course I fully expect this to just be a throwaway line and never be mentioned again, but it's good that the writers at least remember that supplies have to come from somewhere.

Oh man, I was watching with friends and we couldn't handle how incredibly stupid that Ed Sheeran scene was. Dude was literally in every shot. Arya's speaking? Make sure Ed Sheeran's face is out of focus in the front of the shot. Someone else is speaking? Make sure Ed Sheeran's back or side is also in the shot somehow. I mean, it's not the first musical celebrity cameo in the GoT cast, but this is the first time it's been so blatant about it.

It's a shame as well because the scene itself is pretty good (if a bit late in the show) but all I could think of when watching was EDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERANEDSHEERAN

Burt

Joramun's horn?

I think it's probably too late to throw in something so specific. I'd either put it down to general magickyness or Eastwatch being a slaughter and the NK not needing to bring the wall down at all. At most, I'd expect the horn might show up for a moment as it's used but never actually be named or talked about.

Or Bran just fucks up again and somehow undoes the greatest thing his family and namesake ever built.

Jessensor

This made me so sad. It is such an effective way of ripping you out of the narrative and the fantasy, by placing a 2017 celebrity smack bang in the middle of this world. I felt the same when the Hound was throwing jokes about having a "top-knot". Every hipster meme came to mind instead of what I was watching. Sad.

I hope this doesn't continue. I don't understand these decisions.

RedShift

Haven't been following the thread but I assume it's been talked about how dumb it was that Stannis didn't leave a garrison at Dragonstone, and no one cared enough to take one of the biggest and most famous castles in the seven kingdoms.

I mean Jaime immediately figures or she'll land there, but they didn't think to send some soldiers to defend it?

Brakke

Banned
The whole Dragonstone complaint is whatever. It's a rocky island whose lords were all killed and Winter just happened. Stannis's garrison looted the larders and fled, it's too expensive to upkeep, it controls no productive land so whatever nobody you elevated to run it would be shackled by its dead weight, whatever.

Plus it's just expedient. Dany's force obviously completely obliterates any garrison you could ship to Dragonstone. Unless you put the whole Lannister army on it, in which case she just sails around it and proceeds to take the Seven Kingdoms in about week, uncontested.

If it makes you feel better just pretend a couple dozen Unsullied landed first and ran ahead to check the streets.

Haven't been following the thread but I assume it's been talked about how dumb it was that Stannis didn't leave a garrison at Dragonstone, and no one cared enough to take one of the biggest and most famous castles in the seven kingdoms.

I mean Jaime immediately figures or she'll land there, but they didn't think to send some soldiers to defend it?

Stannis wanted all his men to follow his mission, so its understandable.. why nobody else took the castle on the other handis strange

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The whole Dragonstone complaint is whatever. It's a rocky island whose lords were all killed and Winter just happened. Stannis's garrison looted the larders and fled, it's too expensive to upkeep, it controls no productive land so whatever nobody you elevated to run it would be shackled by its dead weight, whatever.

Plus it's just expedient. Dany's force obviously completely obliterates any garrison you could ship to Dragonstone. Unless you put the whole Lannister army on it, in which case she just sails around it and proceeds to take the Seven Kingdoms in about week, uncontested.

If it makes you feel better just pretend a couple dozen Unsullied landed first and ran ahead to check the streets.

Exactly. The show does a lot of inexplicable things. The decision to not waste time with a garrison (which we know does not include Stannis' wife as it does in the book) is just avoiding time wasting and allowing for a cool scene.

What would be the point though? I think every house is stretched too thin as it is and they know Dany is coming with a huge army of Dothraki, Unsullied and Ironborn, so unless they've got a spare 50,000 soldiers to repel the ships from coming ashore there's no much which can be done. King's Landing is the most important location and they have to consolidate their armies there to defend it.

Yeah, there's a reason Dragonstone is empty. Winter has come, the island is barren. The only reason Dany would even land there, is because she was born there.

Violater

I don't get the Ed Sheeran hate.
GOT is a wildly popular TV show, it was bound to have a celebrity appearance.
Nerds need to calm the fuck down.
Angst should be laid at Sansa for being a spoilt brat as usual.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Island has no food supply. It is also easy to surround. Stannis became famous for lasting despite those elements.

are you talking about holding storm's end? that was a siege. pretty sure they had plenty of food when he was on dragonstone.

Good episode and it looked fantastic. Locations and cinematography were beautiful, especially Arya's campfire chat.

Loved all the Hound scenes.

And yes, Ed Sheeran being framed in every shot was extremely distracting, along with his 2017 haircut.

Mr Git

It was very bad - if it'd just been a line they could have got away with it, but yeah the constant lingering shots of him was painful. Ruined any immersion really. Taylor Swift to join the sand snakes.

I don't get the Ed Sheeran hate.
GOT is a wildly popular TV show, it was bound to have a celebrity appearance.
Nerds need to calm the fuck down.
Angst should be laid at Sansa for being a spoilt brat as usual.
It wasn’t as much that he was there, other celebs have made cameos without drawing this much attention to themselves. I mean his face was fully lit and in shot on almost every single second of that scene. It was just too much

I've been holding onto this for the last two seasons. Season 6 gave me hope from the trailer showing Jaimie in the riverlands. Season 5 with Jaimie being sent away by cersei. The finale of season 6 with Jaimie looking unsettled by cersie. However we are still robbed of character development for Jaimie, I'm doubting it'll change now. Fantastic character in the books.

i heard he is much better in the books but this is technically the first half of the final season so if there'll be any redemption for his character it'll come around now.

Mr Git

'That's a nice song'

'Thanks, it's a new one'

*turns to camera*

'It's out next Tuesday in all good record shops. I'm also starting a new tour, you can already get tickets on ticketmaester.com'

Ithil

are you talking about holding storm's end? that was a siege. pretty sure they had plenty of food when he was on dragonstone.

They were getting food from other islands and areas for Dragonstone. I believe it was a plot point in the book when an ally abandoned Stannis and it was a major blow because they needed the food they got from them.

Ithil

i heard he is much better in the books but this is technically the first half of the final season so if there'll be any redemption for his character it'll come around now.

The issue with Jaime is in the show they were actually adapting his character arc from the book and doing it fairly well other than a few hiccups (like killing his cousin for no reason or botching the scene with him and Cersei). But then they just sort of stopped.

He has been static since the end of season 4 for some reason. It sucks because his actor is very good and totally embodied the book character.

The issue with Jaime is in the show they were actually adapting his character arc from the book and doing it fairly well other than a few hiccups (like killing his cousin for no reason or botching the scene with him and Cersei). But then they just sort of stopped.

He has been static since the end of season 4 for some reason. It sucks because his actor is very good and totally embodied the book character.
that didn't happen in the book? also he has a lotta scenes with Cersei so which one was botched?

edit: sorry for double post

CloudWolf

I knew him and can't understand how it ruined the viewing at all. People are broken.

He didn't ruin the scene/episode for me at all, it was more that he didn't need to be in every second of that scene. Even if I didn't know who Ed Sheeran was, I would've found it distracting. I mean look at this:

lZHfdc9.jpg

This is incredibly weird framing. Arya is the main point of interest on the screen, yet there's some other character in front of her, distracting the attention of the viewer away from Arya. A normal shot would feature Arya front and center instead of Ed Sheeran's character. And it's not just this shot, every single shot of Arya featured Sheeran's face in front of it. Maybe it was unintentional and the cinematographer is just shit, but I doubt it.

Ithil

that didn't happen in the book? also he has a lotta scenes with Cersei so which one was botched?

edit: sorry for double post

No, he most certainly did not kill his cousin in the book, that scene was invented for the show. The scene in the show where he just blatantly raped Cersei was considerably more consensual in the book, though still very messed up for both of them (I mean more than usual). It was also the last them they ever did it since soon after that he finally begins to realize how toxic she is for him and break away from her, which they've completely stalled on in the show.

SummitAve

Banned
Seems kinda obvious in hindsight that a place called Dragonstone would have a bunch of dragonglass. I'm also thinking that they may still find some signs of life in the castle and that it isn't as empty as they thought.

No, he most certainly did not kill his cousin in the book, that scene was invented for the show. The scene in the show where he just blatantly raped Cersei was considerably more consensual in the book, though still very messed up for both of them (I mean more than usual). It was also the last them they ever did it since soon after that he finally begins to realize how toxic she is for him and break away from her, which they've completely stalled on in the show.
an ex-coworker of mine told me about this. he said that his favorite character is Jaime, because in the books he has made more growth already and like you said it's taking him quite long to fall out of love with his monster ass sister. well, who would cersei have anyways if jaime leaves her?

Saya

They should have just reduced Sheeran's moments to the one where he passed the food to Arya. Not those awkward framed shots with that smirk.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Well Cersei now did what made Jaime kill Aerys: she used wildfire to murder hundreds of people. She now pretty much is the mad queen, so it would make sense for him to start turning on her. Actually I expected that in the first ep already, but even though he expressed his concerns for her planse he's still standing by her. I don't see that lasting for the season though, especially if Euron manages to impress her.

In the books Jaime already despises Cersei by the time he's in the Riverlands, he burns a letter sent to her. I can't recall the specifics of what made him turn though, I think he learned she slept with someone else

Zabka

He didn't ruin the scene/episode for me at all, it was more that he didn't need to be in every second of that scene. Even if I didn't know who Ed Sheeran was, I would've found it distracting. I mean look at this:

This is incredibly weird framing. Arya is the main point of interest on the screen, yet there's some other character in front of her, distracting the attention of the viewer away from Arya. A normal shot would feature Arya front and center instead of Ed Sheeran's character. And it's not just this shot, every single shot of Arya featured Sheeran's face in front of it. Maybe it was unintentional and the cinematographer is just shit, but I doubt it.

He was sitting between Arya and the other googly-eyed guy. By including him in the shot it helps establish the geometry of the scene.

Well Cersei now did what made Jaime kill Aerys: she used wildfire to murder hundreds of people. She now pretty much is the mad queen, so it would make sense for him to start turning on her. Actually I expected that in the first ep already, but even though he expressed his concerns for her planse he's still standing by her. I don't see that lasting for the season though, especially if Euron manages to impress her.

In the books Jaime already despises Cersei by the time he's in the Riverlands, he burns a letter sent to her. I can't recall the specifics of what made him turn though, I think he learned she slept with someone else

if there is one thing that i thought was weak in this show it was the dialogue, especially among the main characters. not the writing itself but the messages/statements that characters say to each other like jon & sansa and now that we're talking about them, jaime & cersei.

cersei says "tommen betrayed us" and that does not alarm Jaime NEARLY as much as it should. the actor just makes a startling face as a shocking reaction, but that's it. he doesn't say anything to be like "cersei? what the fuck you mean our son betrayed us? or is that something you're just telling your crazy ass self?"

right after she said that, jaime should really not feel safe with her. if tommen "betrayed" her, what's to stop cersei from turning her back on jaime if he "betrayed" her?

Aiii

So not worth it

I think it's pretty clear that Jaime either kills Cersei or stands by idly and lets Arya do it for him.

Knowing D&D they're probably just going to rip off Romeo and Juliet and have him commit suicide after.

Top Bottom