• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well, we pretty much know he didn't. We're talking about the unsullied show watchers, here. I don't think many of them are too keen on their Robert's Rebellion history 101.

Oh, Christ. Her arc in Braavos was poorly written and handled. I wrote two long posts detailing why I feel that way. You either agree that it was poorly written, or you don't. Don't quote me and reply with "She's becoming who she was born to be." That's not an excuse for shitty writing. I'm about done responding to the topic.

Everything that is Arya was in the plot line with the troupe. That's her core ~ didn't find that shitty writing at all.

What did you want, Rocky montages of her training in the street as a cat?

Gigglepoo

Any idea who the prisoner with the burned hand is?

My buddy was pissed because the closed captions "spoiled" that it was Jorah.

What did you want, Rocky montages of her training in the street as a cat?

They had two seasons to do anything, anything at all. At tne end of Season 5, she had learned to face change and killed Meryn Trant. So what was even the point of last season? She grew neither as a person nor as an assassin.

mantidor

Why would Ed have a problem letting meera and bran through the wall even if he wasn't bran stark, they just let thousands of wildlings through not too long ago.

After what they saw in Hardhome it's really no surprise they would distrust anything or anyone arriving to the wall.

Gigglepoo

It's the perfect plan! Jaqen thinks Arya isn't a threat because she was stupidly stabbed a half dozen time and jumped in the river!

Speevy

Banned
The entire Black and White storyline is about Arya learning how to be no one, to win the game of faces, to convince people that she has completely lost her identity.

"Arya" puts the sword to Jaqen's chest. At first he is threatened, but then smiles as if to say "You are ready."

Otherwise, what is the point? That the two are friends and Jaqen is happy to see Arya go home? What does he care? Kill him.

Jaqen H'gar asks Arya if she is no one and she says a girl is Arya Stark.

The Waif killed Arya.

It's the only way any of the House of Black and White stuff makes sense.

I like it. I don't buy it, but I like it!

The entire Black and White storyline is about Arya learning how to be no one, to win the game of faces, to convince people that she has completely lost her identity.

"Arya" puts the sword to Jaqen's chest. At first he is threatened, but then smiles as if to say "You are ready."

Otherwise, what is the point? That the two are friends and Jaqen is happy to see Arya go home? What does he care? Kill him.

Oh, I agree and would absolutely love it. But D&D don't have the gumption to attempt such a thing, IMO.

The waifs face was hanging in the hall. I dont think you can fake the faces

The waif would have no reason to pick up arya revenge.

Speevy

Banned
The waifs face was hanging in the hall. I dont think you can fake the faces

The waif would have no reason to pick up arya revenge.

That's why it's a tinfoil. Of course it didn't happen. But wouldn't you rather imagine that than to imagine that Arya Stark escaped Braavos, murdered the entire Frey family, and is now just going to disguise-murder people until someone murders her?

People on a bent of cold-blooded revenge are usually doomed in most fiction.

Speevy

Banned
I'm trying to think of all the people Arya could disguise-murder, being roughly the same size.

Maybe Theon Greyjoy or Sansa.

She could do some fun stuff as Sansa. O course that would require killing Sansa.

Can't you just make a mold of the face?

Remember when they made Tyrion a good guy even after he murdered his father and lover? Good times.
I remember something else that I was looking forward to but never came, instead we got a dumb, petty story D&D wrote just to mock some critic.
I'm trying to think of all the people Arya could disguise-murder, being roughly the same size.

She could do some fun stuff as Sansa. O course that would require killing Sansa.

Maise is like 5'1" and Sophie is 5'9" not that it matters seeing as I'm sure Walder was taller too..

Speevy

Banned
I remember something else that I was looking forward to but never came, instead we got a dumb, petty story D&D wrote just to mock some critic.

Maise is like 5'1" and Sophie is 5'9" not that it matters seeing as I'm sure Walder was taller too..

David Bradley is 5'11

I didn't realize that

"My lord, you're almost a foot smaller this evening.

"Not where it counts, huh?"

*grab ass*

Apt101

I don't think size and height matters. That changes with the glamor, like we saw with Walder Frey - that is, she appears the appropriate size to whoever is looking at her.

I'm thinking she gets Ilyn Payne next in order to get close to Cersei. Or Qyburn, so she can order Robert Strong to choke a bitch (I wonder if that would even work).

I don't think size and height matters. That changes with the glamor, like we saw with Walder Frey - that is, she appears the appropriate size to whoever is looking at her.

I'm thinking she gets Ilyn Payne next in order to get close to Cersei. Or Qyburn, so she can order Robert Strong to choke a bitch (I wonder if that would even work).

Looking at that scene again, it looks like she stepped down a step after removing the face? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Ri'Orius

David Bradley is 5'11

I didn't realize that

"My lord, you're almost a foot smaller this evening.

"Not where it counts, huh?"

*grab ass*

I mean, the face-stealing is magic, right? Yeah, you need their actual face, but it's not just wearing a mask. I'd attribute voice changery to it, and some height readjustment isn't too far-fetched.

Apt101

Looking at that scene again, it looks like she stepped down a step after removing the face? Maybe I'm just crazy.

I think that was just the podium. For example, I would have to rewatch the scene, but I'm pretty sure the serving maid's face she wore when she slew Walder was taller than Arya. She looked taller in the scene where Bronn and Jaime were considering her.

cj_iwakura

So uh... isn't there a contingency for the Wall meeting the sea? That seems like a massive oversight, Bran the Builder.

I enjoyed the ep. Slow burn, but enjoyable. Caked with dread.

Jag

So uh... isn't there a contingency for the Wall meeting the sea? That seems like a massive oversight, Bran the Builder.

Eastwatch

Franz_Miklis_eastwatch_by_the_sea.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
My buddy was pissed because the closed captions "spoiled" that it was Jorah.

They had two seasons to do anything, anything at all. At tne end of Season 5, she had learned to face change and killed Meryn Trant. So what was even the point of last season? She grew neither as a person nor as an assassin.

She discovered for herself what she felt was worth fighting for. Everything else for her we're just tools. There was never any depth or purpose to Jaquen's role other than that: he's a tool. His leaning, his gods meaning, was just the flavor added to allow arya an interesting mosaic to play it, but to not worth looking into any more meaning than allowing her to develop the skills she needs. The waif was an obstacle and the troupe was her morality play. It was tight focused and interesting because of the broader lore we got to witness, but I wouldn't ask for anything more from her schooling

Ishan

Doesn't seem like much of an obstacle, apart from the ocean itself. I thought they were just going to take down the wall.

i mean the whole wall thing is moot if you can sail around. I assumed white walkers have some weakness or aversion to large water bodies.

zeemumu

All library's used to have books chained to the walls like that to stop people stealing them back in the day. For example

GetImage.aspx

The loose ones made no sense atall, but hey plots got to move on somehow.

Yeah I guess that makes sense back in the day when you couldn't mass-produce extra copies of books. If I spent a month hand-writing a copy of the first Harry Potter book I'd chain it to the shelf, too.

kmag

Well that was an episode where very little happened apart from establishing where characters are physically present.

I suppose that's necessary, but given the limited number of episodes remaining I'd expect a wee bit more narrative drive.

I mean, they advertise the service as "Cancel at anytime" so they know the score.
is there a termination fee though? i could just sign up for it, wait for Thrones to be over, and then cancel it?
Why would you be a jerk? Corporations don't have feelings, if anything you should feel happy when you do something like this, like abusing Best Buys rather generous return policy. It's great fun.
I only want it to watch this show lol HBO does have great stuff but Thrones is my favorite TV show now so I'd only subscribe to watch that. I'm also really broke so it's not worth it to me to have it year round.
Not at all, I personally keep HBO year round because it has so much great content, but you actually paying for Game of Thrones is miles better than what many people do an pirate.
Yeah I'm not down for pirating the show. Although I heard a couple of years ago that this is the most pirated show of all time. So it's just $15/month? Simple as that?
Last year I did something like... a free cable weekend > free 1 month HBO Now > free 1 week HBO Amazon > paid for a month > cancel.
Oh wait, there are free trials? So is it possible I could go this year without paying at all?
But now you can't do that because you already used up your free trials.
I don't think I've used it though. What can I do?

cj_iwakura

Well that was an episode where very little happened apart from establishing where characters are physically present.

I suppose that's necessary, but given the limited number of episodes remaining I'd expect a wee bit more narrative drive.

The preview seems to make it clear it's high octane from here on out. I enjoyed the slow burn episode, lots of tangible dread.

is there a termination fee though? i could just sign up for it, wait for Thrones to be over, and then cancel it?

I only want it to watch this show lol HBO does have great stuff but Thrones is my favorite TV show now so I'd only subscribe to watch that. I'm also really broke so it's not worth it to me to have it year round.

Yeah I'm not down for pirating the show. Although I heard a couple of years ago that this is the most pirated show of all time. So it's just $15/month? Simple as that?

Oh wait, there are free trials? So is it possible I could go this year without paying at all?

I don't think I've used it though. What can I do?

There's no termination fee. If you cancel it lasts until the end of the last monthly period you paid for and then your access ends.

Don't feel bad for just paying for a month or two, you don't owe corporations shit. Pay for it until you're done watching and then cancel it.

And yeah if you have the free trial available to you then do it.

Top Bottom