• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

carlsojo

yeah him bashing Sam is always great

but someone mentioned a bit ago, why on earth would he even come to visit Cersei if he's sworn to House Tyrell, the same Cersei that just blew up Margaery, Loras and Mace.

this show makes no sense sometimes

Jaime literally asks him this and he responds that he came because he was called.

Someone on reddit also pointed out that the dude and his son showed up in chainmail so they were ready to fight their way out.

Jaime literally asks him this and he responds that he came because he was called.

Someone on reddit also pointed out that the dude and his son showed up in chainmail so they were ready to fight their way out.

That's right, he was one of the few that came in armor and with weapons.

Yeah, Tarly seems like the type of person who has enough respect to show up, but he's smart enough to not say anything that would make him into a liar. When Jamie questions him with the fact that Olena is oathsworn with him, he says something to the effect of 'You dare accuse me of being an oathbreaker?' which is also a jab at Jamie.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

Nice detail, although after the Red Wedding and Tywin's death, I'd be living in chainmail.

Dmax3901

Liked this episode, the Nymeria part gave me chills, but there were also a few things that left me scratching my head.

First, you'd think Grey Worm and Missandei would have some scars, being battle-hardened slaves. I know it's not the first time we've seen them naked but still. This is a nitpick, I'll grant you.

Secondly, I thought Sam's determination to help Jorah a little convenient, especially considering the reason he's been sent to Oldtown. He's there to find a way to kill White Walkers thereby saving the entire world, yet happily risks his life to save some dude because he's related to an old friend. It's not out of character for him to want to help others, but it does feel quite careless.

Finally that naval battle. Why is the ship with all the leaders on it sitting right at the edge of this formation where it can be easily ambushed? How did they not see the massive fleet on their way to Dragonstone? Did they not have any scouting ships just in case there was a sneak attack? Also, what the hell was being fired at them? Magic fireballs? Flaming spears?

This whole scene felt like it just happened cause the script needed it to, not because of any natural build up of characters and action. Felt cheap.

Is there a gif of Euron crashing Theon/Asha's boat available? His face made me lol. That whole entrance was embarrassingly hilarious.

biDFHU0.gif

Fight his way out of kings landing?

Just the two of them?

....how? It would seemingly be resigning to a 'last stand' rather than a hope of escaping.

duckroll

First, you'd think Grey Worm and Missandei would have some scars, being battle-hardened slaves. I know it's not the first time we've seen them naked but still. This is a nitpick, I'll grant you.

Why would they? Grey Worm is the only "battle-hardened" one. They are both slaves yes, but they are premium slaves. One is a consort/translator who is clearly very educated and more valuable treated well than as a common sex slave. There's a lot of investment into her skill sets. Grey Worm is one the of best of the Unsullied. He has no fear even as a child!!! Both of them were born into slavery, and have been part of the system since they were babies, so it wouldn't be out of place for them to not have been tortured or punished like adult slaves who would have to be "broken in" after conversion.

Speevy

Banned
Missandei mentions games that Master Krasniss used to play with her and the other girls.

I'm guessing that females were sexually abused regardless of their place in the slave hierarchy.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Liked this episode, the Nymeria part gave me chills, but there were also a few things that left me scratching my head.

Secondly, I thought Sam's determination to help Jorah a little convenient, especially considering the reason he's been sent to Oldtown. He's there to find a way to kill White Walkers thereby saving the entire world, yet happily risks his life to save some dude because he's related to an old friend. It's not out of character for him to want to help others, but it does feel quite careless.

Finally that naval battle. Why is the ship with all the leaders on it sitting right at the edge of this formation where it can be easily ambushed? How did they not see the massive fleet on their way to Dragonstone? Did they not have any scouting ships just in case there was a sneak attack? Also, what the hell was being fired at them? Magic fireballs? Flaming spears?

This whole scene felt like it just happened cause the script needed it to, not because of any natural build up of characters and action. Felt cheap.

Yeah, totally agreed. I think we can probably handwave this away with some generous suspension of disbelief and a healthy dose of maybe it was foggy? But seriously, it didn't make a lot of sense and felt like the people writing it didn't really understand naval warfare in the slightest.

That said I will say Yara hasn't done one thing -- other than be surprisingly tough the first time we meet her -- to justify any sort of admiration of her prowess in any way.

Perhaps when she did that, the Bolton's still had Winterfell.

See, this is the sort of thing I can accept in the show's writing. It's very reasonable that these events happened at an earlier portion of the time line compared to the scenes around it.

What I feels a bit distracting and shark jump-ish is Euron sailing around at warp speed. It would be one thing if we didn't have some grounding element to the overall passage of time, but we have the Night King. Is he still just chilling out with his army as months and years go by while characters journey around the seas and back and forth in Westeros politicking and conquering?

It'd be interesting to try and piece together a timeline of the events in the past season and two episoeds, and estimate how many days it would all take place over based on character travel.

Martian

So overall pretty top episode imo

Just 2 things:
I am not against boobs or anything, but has there been anything more obsolete than the sex scene between grey worm and missandei: two very minor characters that they are just setting up to be killed? I mean how many times does that dude have to say that she's making him weaker?

And did the final battle look terrible to anyone else? I cant quite put my finger on it, but the aesthetic looked a bit off

c0de

See, this is the sort of thing I can accept in the show's writing. It's very reasonable that these events happened at an earlier portion of the time line compared to the scenes around it.

What I feels a bit distracting and shark jump-ish is Euron sailing around at warp speed. It would be one thing if we didn't have some grounding element to the overall passage of time, but we have the Night King. Is he still just chilling out with his army as months and years go by while characters journey around the seas and back and forth in Westeros politicking and conquering?

It'd be interesting to try and piece together a timeline of the events in the past season and two episoeds, and estimate how many days it would all take place over based on character travel.

Yes, the night king timeline seems weird. Perhaps he needs more dead people but they show him and his any marching every time they are on screen. I guess they also don't need sleep so what the hell is going on there? Perhaps he needs to find magical artifacts, though.

Am I the only one who loved the over the top, slightly insane Euron?
I mean he is a legendary fighter and completely insane + full of himself, so this fight was fitting in my opinion.

duckroll

Perhaps when she did that, the Bolton's still had Winterfell.

That's a very interesting thought exercise. Arya's story timeline is by far the most disconnected from the rest of the characters and could take place at any time. But then we have to consider if the progression of events check out. Did Cersei nuke the High Sept before or after Battle of the Bastards? Or at the same time? How long after the nuking did it take before she established control, got crowned, and proceeded to send Lannister troops northward to keep the peace? How long after the Battle of the Bastards did it take for Jon and Sansa to establish control and reclaim Winterfell as the seat of the North? If we assume all these events took a week or two at least, then how long would it take from that point, for the Lannister soldiers to get to the point where they would meet Arya and chill with her, and would that be before or after news from the North gets down further to places close to King's Landing like the inn Hot Pie was in? Considering Arya is traveling downwards from the Twins with a singular purpose to reach King's Landing, is it likely that such news outpaces her so quickly that by the time she gets to Hot Pie, the news has grown cold?

I wonder if it would be possible to piece together events in the timeline like this in a way where it would actually fit and make sense. That could be an interesting thing to play with after the series is over. :)

Why do they have to spend so much time on boring characters like grey worm and that translator(why did they even bring her? no one speaks valyrian in westeros) on such a short season?
Other than that, a good episode

yeah let's be honest, did anybody really care? It's like D&D knew they had to kill someone to make it have more consequences. They were scratching their heads and remembered the bad pusaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I feel the Dorne cast came in too late to the story for anyone to really care about. Same with Euron. It's like 'Oh by the way here's these 2 important plot points THAT YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT' despite already being 5-6 seasons in.

At that point I imagine most peoples reactions were...'who the fuck cares about them?'.

Randdalf

So I'm trying to figure out what will happen to Theon. Will he wash up on the shores of Bronn's castle? Or just get fished out of the sea?

Sony

Nintendo
Wait the wolf wasn't Nymeria right? Arya said "that's not you"
Also, why would Euron let Theon live... Throw some Spears after him and he's dead..
Oh and lol @ Dickon xD

TeaJay

I thought that Arya meant herself (echoing Nymeria's thoughts) thinking that she's not the same person Nymeria once traveled with (and therefore she left her).

The more I think on it the more I hate the way Arya behaves in this episode. She's just so... different, and it's not character-development different. She just feels off.

I get why she's supposed to be acting different but it feels like season 5/6 were the time for that, with 7 being her softening and realising what she's lost. Instead it just feels like the switch flicked at the end of the season 6 and now she's totally different because they needed her to be for the plot. It doesn't feel natural at all.

The more I think on it the more I hate the way Arya behaves in this episode. She's just so... different, and it's not character-development different. She just feels off.

I get why she's supposed to be acting different but it feels like season 5/6 were the time for that, with 7 being her softening and realising what she's lost. Instead it just feels like the switch flicked at the end of the season 6 and now she's totally different because they needed her to be for the plot. It doesn't feel natural at all.

Yeah the direction for her character this episode was super off. I dunno if they just couldn't get the performance they were hoping, or if she nailed what the director wanted (but it sucked). It was just... strange

WriterGK

At this point, it's best to not think about plot holes. D&D have shown that they are lost without the source material.
Isn't that the whole problem. Cause of GGRM his slow writing the tv show is already on its own with not much source material left? I already heard people saying that in season 4 or so they were using stuff from like book 6?

Moonkid

Am I the only one who loved the over the top, slightly insane Euron?
I mean he is a legendary fighter and completely insane + full of himself, so this fight was fitting in my opinion.
I wanted it to be more over the top to be honest, was refreshing seeing him finally in action.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
So I'm trying to figure out what will happen to Theon. Will he wash up on the shores of Bronn's castle? Or just get fished out of the sea?

why would euron and rest of his crew just let theon go? it's not like he can go anywhere after jumping. get a boat and go get him.

i guess euron just let him go because he is DIABOLICAL

LifEndz

Why do they have to spend so much time on boring characters like grey worm and that translator(why did they even bring her? no one speaks valyrian in westeros) on such a short season?
Other than that, a good episode

This would've made for a really funny scene. "Sorry, curly sue, but no one speaks valyrian in westeros so peace out."

John Dunbar

correct about everything
speaking of birds, how did sam send the raven in the first episode? do maesters in training just have free access to them? you would think oldtown of all places would have their ravens on lockdown. when whoever in charge notices that one winterfell raven is missing, i wonder who would be the likely suspect..

Top Bottom